YOUR team's most overrated prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Jason MacIsaac said:
Everyone is picking prospects they don't like rather then the actual overated ones. I will go against the curve.

Everyone huh? I actually rather like Ehrhoff and Carle as players but I just don't think they are as good as some people tend to think. Nice try though.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
joey macdonald.. i never liked him, AHL at his age and talent wise doesnt always translate to NHL success... id much rather have a nhler as a backup then him to legace... or hell even liv

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Rangers - Immonen, just dont think his game will translate over in the NHL very well. Hopefully im wrong.

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
For the Flames Tim Ramholt. Although his decision to play in Europe this past season has taken some wind out of the sails.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
octopi said:
Red Wings fan here...tough one...maybe Igor Grigorenko. He was supposed to be the second coming of Pavel Datsyuk but he seems to really be struggling hockey-wise after the near fatal car accident last year. I imagine it must have been quite emotionally taxing in addition to the physical injuries.Hopefully, he'll start to come around.
Grigorenko almost DIED two years ago. He's lucky he's able to walk. He's not 100% yet. And after he was loaned to Salavat Yulaev last season he scored almost identical points per game as he did in his most productive season with Lada. Don't think that because he isn't scoring a point a game in Russia he isn't still a great prospect. The RSL is a low scoring league. Look at Pavel Datsyuk's stats there at Grigorenko's age. I expect Grigorenko to be a major contender for the Calder in 06-07. If not for his car accident, he would have signed a contract in 2003, and probably would have played on a line with Datsyuk and could have been a Calder contender.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Minnesota Norse Star said:
San Jose - Marcel Goc.

wrong thread to mension this guys name :)

I think Carle is every good as his hype

I think Ehrhoff is overated, maybe not on a national level but defently on HF rankings Bernier, Hennessy, Kaspar, Goc, and even Carle have a legit argument to be ranked over him

Mr Brownstone

Aug 31, 2003
596 miles away
Minnesota Norse Star said:
San Jose - Marcel Goc.

Are you kidding me? Goc may not be putting up the production offensively, but he's been the Barons best defensive forward and faceoff centerman for the two years he's been here. He's also an excellent penalty killer and a very smart player with the puck. Goc may not blossom into the scorer that SJ envisioned, but he'll be their best two-way forward in the next couple of years.

Edit: For SJ, Ehrhoff is the most overrated prospect.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
Barnaby said:
New York Rangers - Hugh Jessiman... the year after he was picked he was mediocre. Last year he was injured just about the entire season. Doesn't appear to be the 1st line PF the Rangers saw when they took him over guys like Getzlaf and Parise...

I dont seem him as being overrated. Most people realized on draft day that he was a project and there was a good chance of him not panning out. And despite experiencing a few health setbacks since then, I dont think much has changed. He still has the potential to be a very good player. Its just a matter of putting together all the tools that has and always will be the case with him. Time will tell.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
On this board as a Canucks fan, I'd say that every one of our prospects is overrated.

Except for Koltsov who no longer gets any love @ all around here since he went back to Russia, and Nathan Smith because people don't seem to think he's even AHL worthy.

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Patrick said:
For the Lightning maybe Eero Somervuori, he was picked to win the Calder in 2003 by a few members of the media.

If he doesn't count as a prospect then I don't think we have many overrated ones considering alot of people can't name more than one or two prospects in our system.

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't mention Nikita Alexeev and Andreas Holmqvist. Those would be my two.

Eero's a good player, he's just not interested in playing in the AHL on a 2-way contract, which with hard work, could eventually earn him a spot on the Lightning. He wants to play in the NHL period. And that is not the Lightning way. You work hard and play harder within the "system" to earn a spot on the NHL team, no one gets a free pass.

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Boomhower said:
Evan McGrath. A respectable 4th round choice, but ater he put up some points last season, the Wings fans have gotten carried away with their optimism. He's got a really long ways to go and I don't see him getting there. McGrath will never play a checking role and doesn't have NHL scoring line potential IMO.

Disagree. I think the Wings were fortunate that his stock dropped low in his draft year, then he got his career back on track the following year. He could definitely be a top 6 forward.

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
OMA said:
This may sound stupid but I'd say Dion Phaneuf for the Flames.

The expectations for this guy are insane right now. He's being called the "next great d-man" by media outlets, Flames fans and fans of other clubs. I'm not saying that he won't be good (I can easily see him as a top pair d-man down the line), but I just don't know if he can live up to all the hype he's getting right now.

I totally agree with you. I see him as another Vaananen, not another Stevens.

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
octopi said:
Red Wings fan here...tough one...maybe Igor Grigorenko. He was supposed to be the second coming of Pavel Datsyuk

lol - no organization deserves TWO guys that can put up 3 goals every 47 playoff games!

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
missK said:
Wow, I'm surprised you didn't mention Nikita Alexeev and Andreas Holmqvist. Those would be my two.

Eero's a good player, he's just not interested in playing in the AHL on a 2-way contract, which with hard work, could eventually earn him a spot on the Lightning. He wants to play in the NHL period. And that is not the Lightning way. You work hard and play harder within the "system" to earn a spot on the NHL team, no one gets a free pass.

Ahh, forgot about Holmqvist, he is up there.

I thought about Alexeev but I don't think he will be a member of the Lightning by October, besides most Lightning fans have realized that Alexeev is just a big soft forward with no workethic, the only people who overrate him IMO are people who see that he was selected in the top 10 and think he is a great prospect.

Thanks Dudley :rant:

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
Panasonic Youth said:
Stefan Ruzicka. Is a great sniper at the minor league level but I'm iffy on him. There's been times where he has been a healthy scratch because his defensive play has faultered, doesn't distribute the puck well enough, or just doesn't show up willing to play. He's got the right tools but needs to bring it all together or else he'll be back in Slovakia.

He would get my vote as well...maybe even Umberger...good player but I think he has been overrated by alot of posters on these boards.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
joey macdonald.. i never liked him, AHL at his age and talent wise doesnt always translate to NHL success... id much rather have a nhler as a backup then him to legace... or hell even liv

Thats funny cause i was gonna say Stefan Liv is the most overrated Wings prospect. He's had one great season, and two average to below average seasons and some Wings fans believe he can step in and play in the NHL. I highly doubt the guy even crosses the pond. I say trade him while his name with worth something

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Patty Ice XXX said:
I usually laugh when I hear Christian Ehrhoff mentioned as a potential #2 defenseman. The guy needs to get stronger and become more solid on his positioning. He hasn't put up the Ozolinsh numbers to make me forget his defensive lapses. Matt Carle could also be another Jim Fahey (ie undersized and pushed around).

:handclap: agreed (even as a german...or because of that)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I dont seem him as being overrated. Most people realized on draft day that he was a project and there was a good chance of him not panning out. And despite experiencing a few health setbacks since then, I dont think much has changed. He still has the potential to be a very good player. Its just a matter of putting together all the tools that has and always will be the case with him. Time will tell.

I agree...Jessiman isn't really overrated by people because everyone realizes he's a risk and may not pan out and is not a polished prospect. i'd almost (keyword, almost) say he's a little underrated because I think a lot of people have written him off completely. The AHL might be good for him at this point.

as for a guy like Dawes being overrated...still don't see it because I think a LOT of people question his chances. he's a scoring machine, but he's very small. Next year in the AHL will be a good indicator of how he'll do but there are definatly enough questions about him that I think most people qualify their statements about him by saying "if he can overcome his size".

no, most overrated guy right now for the rangers is Lundqvist i think. kind of. he seems to be both overrated and underrated at the same time. he was underrated for a long time, then as soon as he started getting recognition, people proclaimed him overrated (thus underrating him) but then people started going a little overboard with and overrating him while others continued to call him crap (well, maybe not quite, but close) and underrate him.

Ultimately he's a very promising young goalie who could be the rangers starter by the end of the year, but he still has the caveat of being unproven in north america, so I can't go completely crazy about him until he gets some games over here. I have high hopes for him but don't want to let it get out of control

jb**

Flyers
Rosario Ruggeri(spelling may be wrong)

They hyped this guy up as great dprospect(still may be) and played the year in the ECHL. Was supposed to be ont he Phantoms and playa regular shift

bit82

Jul 12, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
As a Penguins fan, i really havn't seen many of these guys play. If i had to nominate one guy, it would be Kris Beech. He hasn't proved anything in any of his short stints in the NHL. Until i see Beech do something, he gets my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->