your teams most crushing playoff OT loss...that you've witnessed

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
go kim johnsson 514 said:
I always thought that it was Cliff Ronning who hit the post.

Vancouver fans forget that Kevin Lowe also rang one off the post late in the third period.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The three that come to mind as a Leaf fan.

May 27th 1993 - Yep. "The non-call". Probably one of the most talked about Leaf moments in the last twenty year. Gretzky with the highstick on Gilmour in the third, cutting him. No call. Leafs lose an oppurtunity to have a 5 min PP and would lose the game in overtime to the Kings on a goal by...Gretzky. The Leafs would go onto lose Game 7 in Toronto dashing the hopes of many hoping too see a Montreal/Toronto final.

Game 6 2002 - Leafs/Hurricanes Eastern Conference Finals.
With the Leafs down 1-0 with less then a minute remaining, millions had the their hearts in thier throats. Suddenly Leaf nation erupts on a goal by Mats Sundin that sends the game into OT. Sadly, in OT Martin Gelinas scores and Leaf fans hopes are sent flailing again. This was probably the worst because my memories of the Kings game are vague at best. I was livid. I threw the report against the wall, smashed a wooden tv table, puched my brother and then broke a hockey stick.

Game 6 - 2004 Playoffs. Leafs/Flyers. Another classic Toronto/Philly series with tons of hitting. The Leafs lay a stinker in Philly and come back with a valient effort only to lose in a heartbreaker on a goal by Jeremy Roenick.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Transplanted Caper said:
The three that come to mind as a Leaf fan.

May 27th 1993 - Yep. "The non-call". Probably one of the most talked about Leaf moments in the last twenty year. Gretzky with the highstick on Gilmour in the third, cutting him. No call. Leafs lose an oppurtunity to have a 5 min PP and would lose the game in overtime to the Kings on a goal by...Gretzky. The Leafs would go onto lose Game 7 in Toronto dashing the hopes of many hoping too see a Montreal/Toronto final.

It goes both ways. Gilmour should have been suspended for that game. He had headbutted an apponent the previous game and should have been suspended for it. Additionally, there is no guarantee the Leafs would have won game 6 even with the PP and they still had game 7 in TO. They have nobody to blame but themselves, but if you want to use the non-call as your scapegoat, so be it.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Psycho Papa Joe said:
It goes both ways. Gilmour should have been suspended for that game. He had headbutted an apponent the previous game and should have been suspended for it. Additionally, there is no guarantee the Leafs would have won game 6 even with the PP and they still had game 7 in TO. They have nobody to blame but themselves, but if you want to use the non-call as your scapegoat, so be it.

Of course you're 100% right. Doesnt stop the speculation though.

Ogopogo*

jas said:
Vancouver fans forget that Kevin Lowe also rang one off the post late in the third period.

Excellent point. Man do I ever get tired of that stupid "Lafayette hit the post" crap. They lost, like they always do. End of story.

The whining I hear this year about how "The Oilers only made the playoffs because the Canucks had injuries". Good Lord. Canucks fans have excuses for everything.

You can't blame injuries when the Oilers were 5-0 against the Canucks this season before any of those injuries happened.

sonnyisles

Apr 6, 2006
How about 1978 Isles lose to Leafs in OT of game 7. I believe that Lanny McDonald scored the game winner.

Tinordi24*

shanwon said:
Curse you Peter Nedved.

Thats a distant #2, but horrible none the less!

I was at the game 7 Caps vs Isles in 87. Caps had a 3-1 series lead and it came to game 7.

Caps had a 2-1 lead with 5 minutes to go and Trottier scores a horrendously soft bad angle backhand goal on Bob Mason.

Hrudey makes 73 saves and the Lafontaine scores in OT 4. All well into Easter Sunday.

Caps had a reputation for choking but this solidified their position til Dale Hunter came along.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
This one's easy. Nothing else is even close.

In 1989, the Hershey Bears won the first 3 games of a playoff series against the Adirondack Red Wings. Even though Games 4 and 6 were in Hershey, the Wings won three straight to throw it to Game 7. On April 30th, 1989 at the Glens Falls Civic Center, as I sat 3 rows behind the Bears bench, at the 10:31 mark of overtime, Adam Graves beat Mark LaForest from OUTSIDE THE BLUE LINE to win the game. It's the only time in AHL history a team's come back from 3-0 down to win a series.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
John Flyers Fan said:
Joel Otto, and that goal never should have counted, clearly kicked in.

Most obvious kicked goal ever. :madfire:

Worst for me was Gary Shuchuk's goal in double-OT game 5 of round 2 the 1993 playoffs. Series tied 2-2.

Canucks had destroyed LA during that regular season - 6-2 in the season series with several blow-outs - and should have been ahead in the series. Shuchuk scores a garbage goal to put LA up 3-2 and the Kings go on to win. It was doubly painful at the time because most of the top teams in the league had been eliminated, and the Canucks had owned the other two teams (Toronto, Montreal) they would have had to go through for the Cup.

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I think most Devil fans would agree that '94 Matteau goal was a tough pill to swallow...It was such a bizarre goal (like most are in OT)....Most people forget that Richter made a great save on Richer just before Matteau came down and scored..Great game.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
gr8haluschak said:
Blues fans simple - '96 Yzerman in doubt OT game 7
:madfire: The only time in my life I ever hated Yzerman. I don't know a Blues fan that doesn't get sick to their stomach every time that play is shown.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
jas said:
There are plenty for Ranger fans to mull over - JP Parise, Ken Morrow and Ken Dryden - all come to mind when bringing up such a topic. But, one of recent memory that stands out to me is Game 4 in 1992 against the Pens. Rangers are up 4-2, past the midway point in the 3rd period. The Ranger have a five minute PP, but do nothing. Still, five minuites are drained off the clock, and the Rangers are less than 6 minutes away from taking a 3-1 series lead in the Campbell Conference semi-finals, and headed home, no less. While both teams are changing, Ron Francis fires a seemingly innocent 90-ft shot that somehow eludes Mike Richter and ends up bringing the Pens to within a goal. The Pens would then tie the game and Joey Mullen would score a few minutes into OT. The Rangers NEVER recovered, and the Pens went on to win the Cup. Yes, the Rangers won the Cup two years later. But, they had to spend too many resources to do so. Weight, Amonte, Domi and Turcotte don't get dealt. And, the mid-90's look a lot different for the Rangers

I remember that game well. It was the turning point in the playoffs for the Pens without question. But the OT winner was scored by Ron Francis. As I remember it, he stripped Mark Messier of the puck and then scored. I've heard Ronnie mention that was one of the best games of his career (he ended up with three goals).

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
1999 Finals Game 6. Brett Hull scored with his foot in the crease. That was painful. That crease rule was a pain in the *** all year. If anyone had a toenail worth in the crease it was reviewed and called back... but I guess that one wasnt even reviewable. James Patrick hit the crossbar in the 3rd OT.

2001 playoffs against Pittsburgh game 7. Kaspairitis scoring on Hasek.. That sucked as we had the series in our grasp a few times. Late in regulation the Sabres were putting on immense pressure. Kasparaitis caught the puck in mid air, looked at it, and tossed it into the crowd. no penalty called.

1993 Playoffs. Great Sabres team in the second round and lost in the closest sweep ever to the Habs. 3 of the games were lost in OT

Phaneuf_for_calder

Apr 20, 2006
Calgary
Calgary vs Tampa Bay, Game 6 in OT at home. First the Martin Gelinas thing... and then St Louis scores on what looks like a sure save from Kipper. Everyone was mute for a week... I still don't like thinking about it.

Last edited:

BeatsPerMinute

Nov 19, 2005
2003 playoffs - Mtl. vs. Bos. - In double overtime, in a game we dominated, but Raycroft kept tied, Kovalev get slashed and stops skating (while he had the puck). As he stops, he bumps into our last defender Souray, knocking them both out of the play. Next thing you know you have a Bruin (I'm thinkin Bergeron but I'm not so sure) streaking in alone on Theodore and who gets the goal and the game. This put the Bruins up 3-1 in games. I went to bed crying...yeah it was that bad.
The only thing that makes this loss more bearable is that we came back to win it 4-3.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Game 6 1993-94 Western Semifinals: Johan Garpenlov's shot off the crossbar, on the ensuing rush Mike Gartner scored the winner to send it to Game 7, which Toronto won.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tinordi24 said:
Thats a distant #2, but horrible none the less!

I was at the game 7 Caps vs Isles in 87. Caps had a 3-1 series lead and it came to game 7.

Caps had a 2-1 lead with 5 minutes to go and Trottier scores a horrendously soft bad angle backhand goal on Bob Mason.

Hrudey makes 73 saves and the Lafontaine scores in OT 4. All well into Easter Sunday.

Caps had a reputation for choking but this solidified their position til Dale Hunter came along.

What time did that game end?

May Day 10 said:
2001 playoffs against Pittsburgh game 7. Kaspairitis scoring on Hasek.. That sucked as we had the series in our grasp a few times. Late in regulation the Sabres were putting on immense pressure. Kasparaitis caught the puck in mid air, looked at it, and tossed it into the crowd. no penalty called.

I know Kasparitius isn't a goal scorer, but I think game 6 of that series must have just as painful. The Sabres were within like 90 seconds of winning that series in game 6 when a puck that deflected stright up into the air just happened to fall on the stick of Mario Lemieux from within 4 feet and he doesn't miss from there, and then Straka wins it in OT.

Another one that was really painful for me was in 2001 when the Sabres won the first 2 games in Philly, and by the grace of God we won game 3 in Buffalo and then almost managed to pull out Game 4 in OT.

Last edited:

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
gohabs said:
2003 playoffs - Mtl. vs. Bos. - In double overtime, in a game we dominated, but Raycroft kept tied, Kovalev get slashed and stops skating (while he had the puck). As he stops, he bumps into our last defender Souray, knocking them both out of the play. Next thing you know you have a Bruin (I'm thinkin Bergeron but I'm not so sure) streaking in alone on Theodore and who gets the goal and the game. This put the Bruins up 3-1 in games. I went to bed crying...yeah it was that bad.
The only thing that makes this loss more bearable is that we came back to win it 4-3.

Murray was the goal scorer.

And the rest of that series never happened.

;)

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
Psycho Papa Joe said:

You should be suspended for spelling opponent with an a. :sarcasm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Carolina beating Toronto in Game 6 in 2002 was the most recent OT disaster for Toronto as far as important series are concerned.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Game 1 of the 1990 Stanley Cup Finals.

Glen Wesley misses a WIDE OPEN FRIGGIN NET with a backhander from 15 feet out with Ranford down and out in the first overtime. Ranford later makes a stop with the knob of his stick on a shot from Lyndon Byers that to this day he still hasn't seen.

Petr Klima wins it in overtime. Bruins never fully recover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad