Your team is on the clock! PICK #8 (Fan Base Mock Entry Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Weren't you one of the ones who was excited to have a late 2nd rounder for Gaborik last year? But no extra picks top 35 picks in this year's "deep draft" are needed? Possibly flip a couple 2nd rounders to move up into lower 1/3rd of first round if needed?

Rantanen is probably a mid-rounder anyway...good chance could you could still get him at 15. Why waste the pick at #8?

Rantanen will likely go higher than 8. He isn't a mid-rounder.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
With Provorov gone, I could see the CBJ trading down in this situation, then trading up with the 2nd round picks to take two mid to low 1st round picks and draft Gabriel Karlsson and Jakub Zboril rather than taking Werenski at #8. It's so hit or miss with defensemen, better off with more than less.

But I'd go with Rantanen if I had to make a choice.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Rantenen, Werenski second.

That would be the worst possible way the top 7 picks can go. Jeez I hope it doesn't end up like that.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Jackets will trade up to get hanifin or provorov, and have assets to do it . For this draft guess we're stuck with rantenen.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Initiate trade with oilers.

Oilers get CBJ #8

CBJ get Oilers 1st rounder from Penguins (15th or 16th overall) and Oilers 2nd rounder #33 overall

Terrible asset management there, and if such a trade were initiated...well, let's just say that no one here has ever seen me actually unload.;)

Outside of #1, Edmonton's picks this year are:
- 16th* (pending Pittsburgh's playoffs)
- 33rd
- 60th* (pending Montreal's playoffs; can be no higher than pick #56)
- #79* (pending Ottawa's playoffs)
- #89* (pending St. Louis' playoffs)
- Either #90 or #120 (pending Montreal's playoffs, specifically how far they go)

If those numbers all solidified....I'll say something bizarre. If the next 6-8 guys after McDavid/Eichel are all franchise-caliber players (as has been widely said), and it drops off sometime around pick #11 toward more project-type guys with greater risk, I don't know that I'd trade #8 for #16 and every other pick that Edmonton holds.

Moving from 8 to 16 would mean that, if a defenseman is the target, it's going from Werenski or Provorov down to Thomas Chabot. It's going from "in the NHL in two years" to a college-bound guy like Colin White, or a 5'9" Travis Konecny, or Paul Bittner, or whatever else. It could end up being a big drop, with the tradeoff being a handful of other later shots in the dark.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If SL thinks Werenski is BPA, then it really is an easy choice. Good upside at a position of need / BPA, what else is there to think about?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If SL thinks Werenski is BPA, then it really is an easy choice. Good upside at a position of need / BPA, what else is there to think about?

Exactly. Adding Werenski is like adding Trouba to the roster. Who would turn that down?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Good upside at a position of need / BPA, what else is there to think about?

My thoughts exactly.

I'm surprised so many people are saying Rantanen ... I think a lot of this is based on the Finnish factor, combined with Central Scouting's final ranking of him as the #1 European skater. He's a heck of a player, but I think Barzal has the highest upside of the guys left on the board, and Werenski is the next highest. Factor in Werenski being a position of need and having a great season, and I think he's too good to pass up. Rantanen would be a a third on this point, and I might even consider Timo Meier ahead of him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My thoughts exactly.

I'm surprised so many people are saying Rantanen ... I think a lot of this is based on the Finnish factor, combined with Central Scouting's final ranking of him as the #1 European skater. He's a heck of a player, but I think Barzal has the highest upside of the guys left on the board, and Werenski is the next highest. Factor in Werenski being a position of need and having a great season, and I think he's too good to pass up. Rantanen would be a a third on this point, and I might even consider Timo Meier ahead of him.
I think a lot of people are picking Rantanen because be plays "Jacket hockey" but from what ive read it seems Barzal and Meier have a higher upside. Where as Rantanen is more of a safe pick.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
My thoughts exactly.

I'm surprised so many people are saying Rantanen ... I think a lot of this is based on the Finnish factor, combined with Central Scouting's final ranking of him as the #1 European skater..

Where does wearing a golden helmet for a professional men's team place you in terms of production? Since these kids league stars seem to get a lot of attention for breaking 90/60 points barrier while some European top prospects can be among the most important offensive tools for their team around the same age and yet it's noted as more heroic to score 30 times in far more unorganized, uncontrolled games.

Personally I think it would be best if these ranking would hold both offensive/defensive pick voting options.

::

So Rantanen has 114 games of professional league experience already. Wennberg had 90. Dano played 88 one of those before his first full NHL season.
Is there anyone in the draft's top-15 with similar experience?

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I think a lot of people are picking Rantanen because be plays "Jacket hockey" but from what ive read it seems Barzal and Meier have a higher upside. Where as Rantanen is more of a safe pick.

I'd picked him because he is big, has good talent, and is very smart. It was a very easy choice for me. I'd take him in the top 5.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Wow looks like we have a tie for Werenski and Rantanen. I will flip a coin to break the tie breaker (Wasn't expecting to have to do this haha.) Heads Werenski & tails Rantanen.

Results - It landed on tails.

Congrats Blue Jackets fans you have selected Mikko Rantanen.

Make sure to keep following the draft by clicking this link!
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh....php?t=1878727

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad