Your Team Canada 2007 WC team

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Can Bourdon or Letang eneter the tournament?
Sure, as long as their junior playoffs are done. Nothing in the rule book that prevents junior players from playing in the Worlds. In fact, even the top European nations will usually have one or two junior-aged players on their team.

But it's rare to see junior-aged players on Canada. And once Bourdon and Letang's junior teams are eliminated, you're more likely to see them play in the AHL playoffs, to give them a bigger taste of the pro game, than in the Worlds.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I'm a little nervous there has been no news out of Florida which is a fairly important team for Team Canada this year. It would be a huge boost if Horton, Weiss and Bouwmeester went.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I'm a little nervous there has been no news out of Florida which is a fairly important team for Team Canada this year. It would be a huge boost if Horton, Weiss and Bouwmeester went.

Well someone on the Panthers board said Weiss may need knee surgery, Bouwmeester has a minor hip injury as well.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
Doug Maclean mentioned on his radio show on Wed that Jason Chimera has been invited. I think he make a great 4th liner. Dude can flat out fly, he's a hell of a fore checker with decent hands.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Doug Maclean mentioned on his radio show on Wed that Jason Chimera has been invited. I think he make a great 4th liner. Dude can flat out fly, he's a hell of a fore checker with decent hands.

It's official. Chimera will be on the team. So will the four Carolina players mentioned earlier - Staal, Williams, Commodore and Ward - and Jamal Mayers and Barret Jackman from St. Louis.

Williams and Staal will give a good offensive dimension to the team. Staal, in particular, will have a lot to prove, as he could use a good tournament to impress the Team Canada brass for 2010. Williams will provide a two-way presence. He's an effective scorer and a quality penalty killer.

Goaltending won't be a problem with Ward and Roloson.

Mayers and Chimera gives us two-thirds of what should be a good speed/energy line. Don't know how well they'll do at shutting down the opposition's top line, but you can't deny their hustle or grit.

Not sure about the defence just yet. We could really use a Bouwmeester. Brewer's a solid defenceman with a lot of international experience. Jackman will be counted on in a two-way role. Not sold on Commodore, but he should be an okay 6/7 defenceman. If he's logging big minutes, we're in trouble.

Still waiting on some of the young talent from Florida and Philly. I'm a little concerned that Bouwmeester, with his hip injury, Carter and Mike Richards haven't been added yet.

Last edited:

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
That is what I thought to which is why I was surprised. I dont know if this guy has some inside info or it is foolish speculation on his part.

I am not surprised though to read White may have been invited, and his overhyped teammate, career 6/7 D man Carlo Colaiacovo not. White is way above Colaiacovo on every depth chart, every single thing proves that, Maple Leaf fans are the only ones on the planet who dont realize that. This is further proof of that, yet another on a long list.
How did your 8 GP 2 A prediction for Colaiacovo work out?

Mike Lowrey

Apr 8, 2007
The reason the Jackets have not legitimately improved since Nash arrived? Management. Doug MacLean is a buffoon as a GM. They make a great pick in Gilbert Brule in 2005, and then proceed to bring him up too early, setting his development back. Brule could have spent the year dominating the WHL, playing for his hometown, and playing in the Memorial Cup. Instead, he gets to struggle in the NHL, play for a bad team, and show everyone he didn't belong.

Columbus has had a revolving door at coach, they have made poor free agent signings, and they have never found that true No. 1 goalie. Denis had a couple nice seasons, but was he that star No. 1 they needed? No.

Until Doug MacLean is turfed, the Blue Jackets will remain a bottom-tier team in the league.

Absolutely agree on MacLean. His record has shown he is the most incompetent GM in the league. His handling of Brule would be laughable, if it wasn’t so sad.

The worst part is, when talking about GM’s that might be on the chopping block, his name rarely comes up.

Why did Nash have 17 assists in his Rocket Richard season in 2003-04? It might have something to do with the fact that he didn't have anyone to pass to.

I don’t buy that argument. Last year Alexander Ovechkin had less of a team to play on, and yet he still managed to pick up 54 assists. With the exception of himself, no one on the Caps had more then 25 goals. Chris Clark, his linemate for most of the year, had 35 goals in his career up until that point, and yet he scored 20 that year. This year he has followed it up with 30 goals. That would put him 3 ahead of what a former Rocket Trophy winner scored this year. So even though Ovechkin had no one to play with, he still managed to find the assist column quite often.

Let’s also remember, with the exception of Nash’s rookie year, the Jacket’s GM has said his team was a playoff contender every year. Nobody has thought of the Caps being a playoff ready team this year or last.

You seem to have some nice conspiracy theories about Gretzky and Nash, too. I'm sure Gretzky really played a role in Nash making the all-star game. I'm not saying that Nash deserved to be Columbus' rep this year, but I think the league would rather have a former Rocket Richard winner there, instead of good, but relatively anonymous player.

Just for the outsiders to understand. I don’t believe the sole reason for Nash being at the All Star game was because of Gretzky. But I think some people hooked their wagon to him, and now are realizing he needs help getting going. If the league didn’t mandate every team be represented, Nash would not be there. But before you say he is a 2 time All Star, remember that he was only there because the Jackets had to have somebody there from their team. Picking someone else would look bad on those who put faith in him. And one of those people is Gretzky.

There are a lot of reasons why Canada didn't win in the 2006 Olympics. Nash didn't thrive, but Canada needed Thornton, Iginla, Gagne, Heatley and Lecavalier to deliver. They did not. The defence couldn't get the puck to the forwards (as it turned out, we really missed Niedermayer and Jovanovski), the forwards that were expected to score didn't elevate their play, and with few exceptions, the forwards didn't effectively forecheck. Smyth, Draper and Doan were guys who actually effectively did their job. The team lacked leadership behind Sakic. (I think we knew that trouble was brewing in the locker room when Gagne was given an A). Compare that to the 2002 team that had Sakic, Lemieux, Yzerman, Shanahan (Shanahan should have at least been on the taxi squad, and even though Yzerman said no, you could tell we really missed his presence), Peca, Nieuwendyk and MacInnis. The 2006 team had good leaders, like Foote, Draper, Doan, Smyth and Iginla, but nothing like the leader-loaded 2002 team, which had several guys capable of carrying Canada on their back.

You hit the nail on the head. The biggest reason Canada failed was their lack of leadership. Same thing in Nagano. And what has been the difference between Canada winning Gold and not winning Gold in the last number of tournaments? Well, just look at who was wearing the “C†to find your answer.

The bigger problem was, Gretzky picked a team for what they use to be, not what they were. Nash fits that category perfectly. Foote should not have been there. Same with Smyth and Draper. Leadership is great if you can play at that level. But too many guys were there for what they did 4 years before, not what they could do then.

But that was the problem with Nash. He hadn’t done anything before. At the end of the day, as bad as this team was, they still had a chance. One big play could have turned that whole thing around. And because Nash was the guy with the biggest question mark over his head, and he was the guy who easily played the worst, we can say he, as well as the guy who selected him, should take the blame.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Absolutely agree on MacLean. His record has shown he is the most incompetent GM in the league. His handling of Brule would be laughable, if it wasn’t so sad.

The worst part is, when talking about GM’s that might be on the chopping block, his name rarely comes up.

I don’t buy that argument. Last year Alexander Ovechkin had less of a team to play on, and yet he still managed to pick up 54 assists. With the exception of himself, no one on the Caps had more then 25 goals. Chris Clark, his linemate for most of the year, had 35 goals in his career up until that point, and yet he scored 20 that year. This year he has followed it up with 30 goals. That would put him 3 ahead of what a former Rocket Trophy winner scored this year. So even though Ovechkin had no one to play with, he still managed to find the assist column quite often.

Let’s also remember, with the exception of Nash’s rookie year, the Jacket’s GM has said his team was a playoff contender every year. Nobody has thought of the Caps being a playoff ready team this year or last.

Just for the outsiders to understand. I don’t believe the sole reason for Nash being at the All Star game was because of Gretzky. But I think some people hooked their wagon to him, and now are realizing he needs help getting going. If the league didn’t mandate every team be represented, Nash would not be there. But before you say he is a 2 time All Star, remember that he was only there because the Jackets had to have somebody there from their team. Picking someone else would look bad on those who put faith in him. And one of those people is Gretzky.

You hit the nail on the head. The biggest reason Canada failed was their lack of leadership. Same thing in Nagano. And what has been the difference between Canada winning Gold and not winning Gold in the last number of tournaments? Well, just look at who was wearing the “C” to find your answer.

The bigger problem was, Gretzky picked a team for what they use to be, not what they were. Nash fits that category perfectly. Foote should not have been there. Same with Smyth and Draper. Leadership is great if you can play at that level. But too many guys were there for what they did 4 years before, not what they could do then.

But that was the problem with Nash. He hadn’t done anything before. At the end of the day, as bad as this team was, they still had a chance. One big play could have turned that whole thing around. And because Nash was the guy with the biggest question mark over his head, and he was the guy who easily played the worst, we can say he, as well as the guy who selected him, should take the blame.

Doug MacLean is incompetent. That's probably part of the reason why he thinks that Columbus is a playoff-calibre team. But he should think they're playoff-calibre. He's selling them short if he doesn't. What's he going to say? "We've been building up year after year, but I don't think we'll make the playoffs again this year."

When I've looked at Columbus, I've never viewed them as a playoff-calibre team. Their goaltending ranges from being a question mark to abysmal. Marc Denis had a couple solid seasons amid low expectations. We've seen this year what happens to him in a pressure situation. Their defence has always been underwhelming. And unless they make a big forway into the free agent market, there isn't anything in the system that leads me to believe anything is going to change.

Don't compare Ovechkin and Nash. Ovechkin is a once-in-a-generation LW talent. He might be the best LW to enter the league since Bobby Hull, Frank Mahovlich and John Bucyk in the late 50s. (A reflection of the state of the LWs who have entered the league since the late 50s, but Ovechkin is that good). Nash isn't that good. He has the potential to be a 40-50 goal, 40 assist power forward. In 2003-04, Nash was the only consistent threat. He was often double-teamed. And he didn't have a proven scorer to work with. David Vyborny is a better playmaker. Nikolai Zheredev was a rookie who had moments of brilliance, but also maddening inconsistency. (Some things never change). Leading the league in goals in 2003-04 as a sophomore was a terrific achievement.

I really don't care about the all-star game, and I don't think reaching the game is an accomplishment. He might have been there in 2003-04. Would he have made it this year if not for the team rep clause. Probably not. BTW, the only all-star that really matters is the first and second team all-star.

I don't know if I'd say Nash was the biggest question mark on that team. I think the honour belonged to Todd Bertuzzi. Nash was a question mark. Ryan Smyth absolutely belonged on that team. He was one of the few players that actually did his job: forecheck hard, drive to the front of the net, finish checks, and backcheck. If he scores, it's a bonus. You need a few guys like that on your team if you're going to succeed.

I also wouldn't say he played the worst on that Canada team. Thornton, Lecavalier and Heatley were all worse, from my perspective. Gagne and Iginla weren't much better.

wildone26*

How did your 8 GP 2 A prediction for Colaiacovo work out?

Kronwall dealt with injuries off and on all season which could not have been predicted. Wozniewski was not as much a favorite of Maurice's as I thought he was. So yes Carlo did get to play his version of hockey more often then I thought he would. Despite that it is possible Carlo is now over Kronwall and Woz on the depth chart for good, in fact he probably is.

However he was far from ever becoming the top 4 defenceman Leaf almost all fans like yourself predicted, in fact he was so far from being that it is the difference from that projection and reality is almost too enormous to describe. He ended the season dead last in ice time of the 6 regulars, the only guy under 18 minutes of ATOI, and his spot in the regular lineup is unlikely to last as new people come into the fray next year. White played over Carlo on the PP most of the season, Gill over him on the PK of course, and McCabe, Kaberle, and Kubina over him on both, further cementing him as only a #6, far from the top 4 guy predicted by the Leafs forum.

When it comes to Carlo vs White:

ATOI for 2005-2006 : White>Carlo
ATOI for 2006-2007 : White>Carlo
ATOI for 2007-2008 : White>Carlo
ATOI for 2008-2009 : White>Carlo
ATOI for 2009-2010 : White>Carlo

18 minutes or more in ATOI for a season: White every single season > Carlo never has and never will

Selections for World Championships : White at 22 on the team > Carlo at 24 never once invited, deemed "never good enough" unlike the superior White.

Age making the team out of training camp and staying: White at 22 and 3 months successful making team out of training camp and staying all season > Carlo at 22 and 8 months unsuccessful making team out of training camp, does not get shot with team until end of November/early December of that season due to injuries.

Carlo will have a real battle to just be the 7th "spare" defenceman next season. With White, Stralman, and Pilar all being picked for the world championships for their top countries, while Carlo is passed over, it shows how far his abilities are regarded below all of these. There are 4 veterans and only 2 "other" spots, and with White far over him on the depth chart for years now, Stralman the wonderkid coming over, Pilar who the Leafs are so high on back, the best Carlo can hope is to maybe get the 7th "spare" defenceman spot next season.

White has been over Carlo in every single way for a years now and continues to be. Carlo will never be over White in anyway ever again.

RoliTheGoalie

Feb 19, 2007
Winnipeg
If the tournament started tomorrow it might be something like this:

G: Dwayne Roloson, Cam Ward, Martin Biron
D: Jay Bouwmeester, Brett Clark, Mike Commodore, Barret Jackman, Eric Brewer, Andrew Ference
F: Joe Sakic, Mike Cammalerri, Ryan Smyth, Patrice Bergeron, Justin Williams, Eric Staal, Simon Gagne, Nathan Horton, Rick Nash, Shane Doan, Shawn Horcoff, Wojtek Wolski

The starting goalie HAS to be Roli.it's GOT to be him.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Jamal Mayers huh? :sarcasm:

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but... I don't know, I'm surprised so many players are saying "NO" to Stevie Y. Either that or a lot of Canadians are injured. At least when Pittsburgh gets bounced Canada will be able to add El Sid.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Jamal Mayers huh? :sarcasm:

yeah, a little suprised by that one... I guess Murray either had a very good feel for him, or is doing his best to earn "brownie points" in the Blues locker room for next season :sarcasm:

What do people think the odds are that Mike Ryder gets an invitation to join the team?

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Kronwall dealt with injuries off and on all season which could not have been predicted. Wozniewski was not as much a favorite of Maurice's as I thought he was. So yes Carlo did get to play his version of hockey more often then I thought he would. Despite that it is possible Carlo is now over Kronwall and Woz on the depth chart for good, in fact he probably is.

However he was far from ever becoming the top 4 defenceman Leaf almost all fans like yourself predicted, in fact he was so far from being that it is the difference from that projection and reality is almost too enormous to describe. He ended the season dead last in ice time of the 6 regulars, the only guy under 18 minutes of ATOI, and his spot in the regular lineup is unlikely to last as new people come into the fray next year. White played over Carlo on the PP most of the season, Gill over him on the PK of course, and McCabe, Kaberle, and Kubina over him on both, further cementing him as only a #6, far from the top 4 guy predicted by the Leafs forum.

When it comes to Carlo vs White:

ATOI for 2005-2006 : White>Carlo
ATOI for 2006-2007 : White>Carlo
ATOI for 2007-2008 : White>Carlo
ATOI for 2008-2009 : White>Carlo
ATOI for 2009-2010 : White>Carlo

18 minutes or more in ATOI for a season: White every single season > Carlo never has and never will

Selections for World Championships : White at 22 on the team > Carlo at 24 never once invited, deemed "never good enough" unlike the superior White.

Age making the team out of training camp and staying: White at 22 and 3 months successful making team out of training camp and staying all season > Carlo at 22 and 8 months unsuccessful making team out of training camp, does not get shot with team until end of November/early December of that season due to injuries.

Carlo will have a real battle to just be the 7th "spare" defenceman next season. With White, Stralman, and Pilar all being picked for the world championships for their top countries, while Carlo is passed over, it shows how far his abilities are regarded below all of these. There are 4 veterans and only 2 "other" spots, and with White far over him on the depth chart for years now, Stralman the wonderkid coming over, Pilar who the Leafs are so high on back, the best Carlo can hope is to maybe get the 7th "spare" defenceman spot next season.

White has been over Carlo in every single way for a years now and continues to be. Carlo will never be over White in anyway ever again.
hahahahahaha

you're insane.

espo*

So who the hell is on this team anyway?

've seen about 10 guys named but i've seen a whole complete Team Finland for .....get this!!! (initial training)

You might want to get your head out of your ass and go for some ......"official training"

Like playing for the Maple Leaf is some obligation!!!

Looks like they are getting prepared TC..................are you?

And if not.......................why not?

I always loved that question answered.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Another very average player from the blues eh...

How many canadian players do they have left on the roster NOT invited yet?

Best team or Blues team? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad