Your Team Canada 2007 WC team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'll make a team on the assumptions that the teams out of the playoffs stay out.

Gagne-Sakic-Doan
Smyth-Staal-Williams
Nash-Savard-Bergeron
Whitney-Stastny-Tucker

Bouwmeester-Brewer
Blake-Mccabe
Foote-Seabrook

Roloson
Legace
Ward

Obviously not all these would go if invited, but thats how I would imagine my own lineup if I was running the team, and I'd have Andy Murray as head coach.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Maybe Nash slept with wildone's girlfriend, hence the intense internet grudge. Maybe I'm giving wildone too much credit in having a girlfriend, though.

Foote has been out awhile with a high ankle sprain, those things take awhile to heal all the way and I bet he shuts it down for the summer.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
I'll make a team on the assumptions that the teams out of the playoffs stay out.

Gagne-Sakic-Doan
Smyth-Staal-Williams
Nash-Savard-Bergeron
Whitney- Stastny-Tucker

Bouwmeester-Brewer
Blake-Mccabe
Foote-Seabrook

Roloson
Legace
Ward

Obviously not all these would go if invited, but thats how I would imagine my own lineup if I was running the team, and I'd have Andy Murray as head coach.

-------------------------------

I agree with you that Stastny will be at the World Championships............only not with Canada. He (and his bro?) will be suited up for the red, white and blue of America !!!!!!!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think it's going to be a fairly young team again, as players jostle for a spot on Canada's Olympic team in 2010.

But I don't know if Ward will play. He'd be a natural, but he has a short off-season last year, got married, and hasn't had the same consistency as last year's playoffs. I think he'll take a pass on the tournament. It's in his best interests to have a nice, long off-season.

When I look at who's missing the playoffs in net (as of right now), the names that jump out are Ward, Curtis Joseph, Manny Legace, Dwayne Roloson, Martin Biron and Andrew Raycroft. I think two of those guys will play for us. My guesses are Biron and Legace. And we might need a couple Legace-esque miracles at some point in the tournament. I think Alex Auld will be the No. 3. If Marc Denis misses the playoffs, he might also be a suitable No. 3.

The defence will have some of the usual suspects, starting with Jay Bouwmeester. Has he ever said no to Canada in a non-Olympic year? Chicago has a trio of young defencemen - Seabrooke, Keith and Barker. I think one or two will be on the roster. Andrew Ferrence from Boston would be a good fit for international play. Brett Clark in Colorado, Jason Smith in Edmonton, Bryan Allen and Mike Van Ryn in Florida, international veteran Jamie Heward in LA, Braydon Coburn in Philly, Derek Morris in Phoenix and Eric Brewer in St. Louis. If Tampa misses the playoffs, Dan Boyle would be a boon. Great international player. Mathieu Dandenault and Sheldon Souray would be be additions if Montreal misses. Same with Bryan McCabe in Toronto. I don't think Foote will be there, I think he'll rest up in the off-season, and after his performance in the Olympics, I think his days as part of Canada's international program are over. Too bad, he was an international star for us for nearly a decade. I don't think Rob Blake will play, either.

Up front, Joe Sakic would be a terrific addition. But he's also in his late 30s, and I think he'll use the playoff elimination to rest. Wouldn't surprise me to see him play for Canada, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will this be the year that Marc Savard finally cracks Team Canada? He's a world class playmaking centre. The question is whether he can do it on the international ice.

Once again, you're looking at the usual suspects: Patrice Bergeron in Boston. Jeff Carter and Mike Richards in Philly. Rick Nash in Columbus. Mike Cammalleri in LA. Others to watch for: Savard, Shean Donovan and Chuck Kobasew in Boston; Martin Lapointe in Chicago; Andrew Brunette, Brett McLean and Ian Laperriere in Colorado; Manny Malhotra and Jason Chimera in Columbus; Raffi Torres, Shawn Horcoff, Joffrey Lupul and Fernando Pisani in Edmonton; Nathan Horton, Stephen Weiss and Martin Gelinas in Florida; Scottie Upshall and Simon Gagne in Philly; Shane Doan and Steven Reinprecht in Phoenix; and Brad Boyes and a slew of responsible grinders in St. Louis.

Carolina missing the playoffs would be a gold mine for Canada, but as I said with Ward, I think most of them would make use of the time off. Eric Staal is the only Hurricane that I think would play, since he could use the tournament as a pitch for 2010.

Other potential forwards on bubble playoff teams are Mike Johnson and Michael Ryder in Montreal; Mike Sillinger and Ryan Smyth on the Islanders; Brendan Shanahan on the Rangers; the Tampa trio of Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards and Marty St. Louis; and Darcy Tucker and Kyle Wellwood in Toronto.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I agree with you that Stastny will be at the World Championships............only not with Canada. He (and his bro?) will be suited up for the red, white and blue of America !!!!!!!

Your very correct, my mistake, I was tired when I made the list, and forgot that even though born in Canada he is an american citizen as well. His brother... no chance. Hypothetically, Stastny could still play for team Canada though, so in my fantasy world were I run the show, he is on my team ;)

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
Your very correct, my mistake, I was tired when I made the list, and forgot that even though born in Canada he is an american citizen as well. His brother... no chance. Hypothetically, Stastny could still play for team Canada though, so in my fantasy world were I run the show, he is on my team ;)

They actually talked about this on Hockey Night in Canada last night. They said that he could, in theory play for Canada the US or the Slovaks (I guess because of their papa). However, as was stated on my post, the thinking is that Paul will play for America. The reason for this two-fold.....so he could play with Jan this spring and (like soccer) once you play for one nation internationally you are committed to that nation for the rest of your playing career. Going forward, the theory is that it will be more difficult for Stastny to make a Canadian Olympic or World Cup roster then it would be to make an American one.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
. The reason for this two-fold.....so he could play with Jan this spring and (like soccer) once you play for one nation internationally you are committed to that nation for the rest of your playing career..

Although I recall a handful of players playing on multiple teams internationally.... Peter Stastny (Canada and Czechoslavakia)...Brian Trottier (Canada and USA)...Peter Nedved (Czechoslovakia and Canada)...perhaps more. Maybe they are trying to be alot more stringent in enforcing this rule now. Anyone have any clarification on this ?

Doesn't Duck prospect Jason Bailey have a decision to make on this too ? (if he ever gets good enough to play internationally) I seem to recall he is in a situation where he could play for either Canada or the US.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Although I recall a handful of players playing on multiple teams internationally.... Peter Stastny (Canada and Czechoslavakia)...Brian Trottier (Canada and USA)...Peter Nedved (Czechoslovakia and Canada)...perhaps more. Maybe they are trying to be alot more stringent in enforcing this rule now. Anyone have any clarification on this ?

Doesn't Duck prospect Jason Bailey have a decision to make on this too ? (if he ever gets good enough to play internationally) I seem to recall he is in a situation where he could play for either Canada or the US.
A couple of things worth noting. The Canada/World Cup is not IIHF sanctioned. Therefore, a guy like Peter Stastny could play for Canada or the former Czechoslovakia in his prime without worrying about the rules. As long as you were a citizen of that country, you could play for them in the Canada/World Cup. That's why Nedved played for Canada at the 1994 Olympics, and the Czechs at the 1996 World Cup.

The IIHF did change the rule a few years ago, after the Evgeny Nabokov controversy. Nabokov played for Kazakhstan in a lower level tournament early in his career. He wanted to suit up for Russia at the 2002 Olympics, but was blocked by the old IIHF rule. His appeal was thwarted.

Players can now switch the country they play for in IIHF competition once in their career.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I think it's going to be a fairly young team again, as players jostle for a spot on Canada's Olympic team in 2010.

But I don't know if Ward will play. He'd be a natural, but he has a short off-season last year, got married, and hasn't had the same consistency as last year's playoffs. I think he'll take a pass on the tournament. It's in his best interests to have a nice, long off-season.

When I look at who's missing the playoffs in net (as of right now), the names that jump out are Ward, Curtis Joseph, Manny Legace, Dwayne Roloson, Martin Biron and Andrew Raycroft. I think two of those guys will play for us. My guesses are Biron and Legace. And we might need a couple Legace-esque miracles at some point in the tournament. I think Alex Auld will be the No. 3. If Marc Denis misses the playoffs, he might also be a suitable No. 3.

The defence will have some of the usual suspects, starting with Jay Bouwmeester. Has he ever said no to Canada in a non-Olympic year? Chicago has a trio of young defencemen - Seabrooke, Keith and Barker. I think one or two will be on the roster. Andrew Ferrence from Boston would be a good fit for international play. Brett Clark in Colorado, Jason Smith in Edmonton, Bryan Allen and Mike Van Ryn in Florida, international veteran Jamie Heward in LA, Braydon Coburn in Philly, Derek Morris in Phoenix and Eric Brewer in St. Louis. If Tampa misses the playoffs, Dan Boyle would be a boon. Great international player. Mathieu Dandenault and Sheldon Souray would be be additions if Montreal misses. Same with Bryan McCabe in Toronto. I don't think Foote will be there, I think he'll rest up in the off-season, and after his performance in the Olympics, I think his days as part of Canada's international program are over. Too bad, he was an international star for us for nearly a decade. I don't think Rob Blake will play, either.

Up front, Joe Sakic would be a terrific addition. But he's also in his late 30s, and I think he'll use the playoff elimination to rest. Wouldn't surprise me to see him play for Canada, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will this be the year that Marc Savard finally cracks Team Canada? He's a world class playmaking centre. The question is whether he can do it on the international ice.

Once again, you're looking at the usual suspects: Patrice Bergeron in Boston. Jeff Carter and Mike Richards in Philly. Rick Nash in Columbus. Mike Cammalleri in LA. Others to watch for: Savard, Shean Donovan :yo: and Chuck Kobasew in Boston; Martin Lapointe in Chicago; Andrew Brunette, Brett McLean and Ian Laperriere in (WOLSKI) Colorado; Manny Malhotra and Jason Chimera in Columbus; Raffi Torres, Shawn Horcoff, Joffrey Lupul and Fernando Pisani in Edmonton; Nathan Horton, Stephen Weiss and Martin Gelinas in Florida; Scottie Upshall and Simon Gagne in Philly; Shane Doan and Steven Reinprecht in Phoenix; and Brad Boyes and a slew of responsible grinders in St. Louis.

Carolina missing the playoffs would be a gold mine for Canada, but as I said with Ward, I think most of them would make use of the time off. Eric Staal is the only Hurricane that I think would play, since he could use the tournament as a pitch for 2010.

Other potential forwards on bubble playoff teams are Mike Johnson and Michael Ryder in Montreal; Mike Sillinger and Ryan Smyth on the Islanders; Brendan Shanahan on the Rangers; the Tampa trio of Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards and Marty St. Louis; and Darcy Tucker and Kyle Wellwood in Toronto.

Those are my pics from you list, I like that team, its pretty good.

RoliTheGoalie

Feb 19, 2007
Winnipeg
Well, obviously we're gonna have to assume some teams will make it and some won't, so here goes.

Goalies:

Legace
Roloson
Leclair

Defenseman:

Bouwmeester
Seabrook
Eminger
Jackman
Brewer
Ference
Heward

Forwards:

Nash (not had a great year, hope for a confidence booster from the WC)
Cammaleri
Horton
Weiss
Doan
Boyes
Sakic (hey, a man can dream, right?)
Wolski
Bergeron
Savard
Murray
Richards

Would like to have put in some other players, but injuries came into play some.
ROLOSON? No way.I love him and all,but he won't make it.(i'm sorry Dwayne!)

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

He might play for Canada if Sakic asks him to play with him at WC

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Those are my pics from you list, I like that team, its pretty good.
I think Carter and Richards are locks. I know that they've suffered from the sophomore jinx/the toxic locker room situation in Philly. But they also played very well at last year's Worlds, and have plenty of international experience already. Both have done very well on the big ice at the junior and WC level, and Carter becomes that much more valuable with his size.

I think the Worlds are exactly what they need to help them forget a very forgettable season in Philly. Carter could have a monster tournament.

I don't think Wolski makes it. I think the best thing for Wolski would be to take advantage of the five-month rest he'll get for missing the playoffs, and get ready for the upcoming season. He'll play for Canada eventually at this tournament. Just not this year. I still have concerns about his inconsistency, and in a relatively short tournament, you can't afford mistakes.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
ROLOSON? No way.I love him and all,but he won't make it.(i'm sorry Dwayne!)

You spoke too soon, my friend. ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=202576&hubname=

TSN.ca said:
Murray to coach Team Canada

It's expected Rick Nash of the Columbus Blue Jackets will headline those named at today's announcement.

In addition to Nash, Canada will also name Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan to its roster, along with St Louis defenceman Eric Brewer and Los Angeles Kings centre Mike Cammaleri.

Dwayne Roloson will be the only goaltender introduced in the opening round of announcements.

I think thewildones head just exploded. :yo:

It worries me though that JayBos name was not mentioned, but there is still plenty of time.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Roloson has been by far the best oiler this year. I am quite certain he will be the starting goaltender. He deserves it after having played in front of an AHL team for the last two months.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
ummm... its the world championships.... why do *any* of you care?

any hockey tournament that is decided through single game eliminations is a complete and utter joke.... the olympics are a joke and the world championships are a joke (senior, junior and U-18)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion

any hockey tournament that is decided through single game eliminations is a complete and utter joke.... the olympics are a joke and the world championships are a joke (senior, junior and U-18)
The Memorial Cup, the RBC Royal Bank Cup and the NCAA Frozen Five are also decided via best-of-ones. Deal with it.

Andy Murray is an brilliant choice for coach. Honestly, he should have been on our staff for last year's Olympics, with his experience coaching on the big ice. He's a guy I've always been a big fan of, and while he is the type whose act will wear thin after a few years, in a short tournament, he's great, and he is likely one of the best developers of young talent in the game.

No surprise on the first players selected. Roloson is a good No. 1 for the Worlds who can handle a heavy workload. Brewer is a veteran defenceman in these tournaments who advances the puck well. Nash is a guy we're going to have to count on to be an impact offensive player. Cammalleri is well-suited to international ice, and I think he'll play an important offensive role at centre or RW. Shane Doan will wear a letter for this team, and he will be one of our most valuable guys. Strong leader, strong forechecker, physical force, good defensive presence and capable of chipping in a few points during the tournament.

wildone26*

I think thewildones head just exploded. :yo:

Hardly the early naming of players commited, the begining of forming a pool of players really means nothing. Players who are in the pool of players early can be bumped out later depending who becomes available.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg

You forgot to mention 'World Cup' 2004.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
From the Flyers i'd say it's safe to scratch Gagne and Upshall, Gagne will have off-season surgery and Upshall's shoulder is keeping him from playing right now.

Players that can go are: Martin Biron, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Denis Gauthier. If Canada goes really young Alexandre Picard, Braydon Coburn and Ryan Parent might be of interest.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Hardly the early naming of players commited, the begining of forming a pool of players really means nothing. Players who are in the pool of players early can be bumped out later depending who becomes available.

Keep dreaming buddy, he'll be the starting LW no matter who gets eliminated. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad