Your TDL Preference/General TDL Talk

What would you like the Blues to do at the TDL?

• Total voters

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He's probably not going against PP1 units though, and he doesn't account for much time on the PK either compared to others. That's where the flaws in those numbers come out.
That may be true, but people saying he is bad on PK and there is no evidence of that.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He should be against the PP1 units because his CF and GA are the best, but we just ignore the context of those numbers. It's the same argument.

Your argument is saying Shattenkirk should've been used more on the PK than Pietrangelo in 11/12.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He should be against the PP1 units because his CF and GA are the best, but we just ignore the context of those numbers. It's the same argument.

Your argument is saying Shattenkirk should've been used more on the PK than Pietrangelo in 11/12.
Just to be clear, the argument you are making is that Blueston saying "he isn't bad" and "should get more PK time" is actually "he is better than Petro, just like Shatty?"

No one is saying he should get more PK time than Petro. What has been said is that the numbers indicate he hasn't been bad on the PK as suggested and that if anything he should be getting increased PK usage over decreased usage.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Just to be clear, the argument you are making is that Blueston saying "he isn't bad" and "should get more PK time" is actually "he is better than Petro, just like Shatty?"

No one is saying he should get more PK time than Petro. What has been said is that the numbers indicate he hasn't been bad on the PK as suggested and that if anything he should be getting increased PK usage over decreased usage.
No...

People have said Faulk has been bad on the PK, but they did that by just using the eye test, and Blueston responded with advanced stats to counter that take. That's all fine.

I followed up with how those advanced stats are flawed, and examples of how they are flawed, and Blueston responded by saying based on the advanced stats, Faulk should be used on the PK more.

The point is, without context and certain variables like quality of teammates and competition being close to equal, those stats are pretty meaningless.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Assuming Bouwmeester is on LTIR for the rest of the year, it would be really easy to fit Scandella and Kovalchuk under the cap and the cost to acquire will be cheap. I would try getting both for a 2nd.
Or if Armstrong really wants to swing for the fences, try to pry Lindholm and Rakell out of ANA. Figure the cost to be astronomical. Would Faulk, Dunn, Kyrou, 2020 1st be enough for both?

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Much like others i prefer to add LD depth, someone with 2nd pairing upside, but more of a shutdown/PK player and any grit would be the icing on the cake. Willing to part with a 2nd and B prospect-ish type package.

I think Dillon could fit this mold and i honestly wouldn't mind obtaining AND re-signing him if the extension numbers made sense. His age fits our core well.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
6 days left and we haven't seen Mikkola tried with Parayko.

Gutless, no balls, pathetic, disgrace, shameful, dishonorable, hideous.

Absolute ****show!
I reject the notion that there is some instant chemistry test Mikkola has to pass to be a good option with Parayko. I think it’s more of a process of learning how your partner plays. If they end up as a pair, they just need lots of games together to grow into it.

The Blues will probably acquire a depth defender, and maybe there will be a bit of competition for ice time. I’m fine with that. But that decision has nothing to do with seeing Mikkola in a few games paired with any particular linemates.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t understand the infatuation with Kovalchuk. Where would you put him? When you start looking at who would come out of the line-up, keeping in mind the effectiveness of the 3rd and 4th lines last playoffs, I lose my enthusiasm for him. He’s not a guy that I could see playing well in that 5-man unit forecheck style. And if he’s not, all he can do is be a liability.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t understand the infatuation with Kovalchuk. Where would you put him? When you start looking at who would come out of the line-up, keeping in mind the effectiveness of the 3rd and 4th lines last playoffs, I lose my enthusiasm for him. He’s not a guy that I could see playing well in that 5-man unit forecheck style. And if he’s not, all he can do is be a liability.
Right. Tarasenko comes in for Kyrou, and Sanford has probably earned a spot to stay in the lineup.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'd rather see The Blues get Mikkola into as many games as possible with his future defensive shiftmate. I don't understand why he's been sitting out so much. HE hasn't been the reason we've lost most of the last 12 games. I don't want to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder plus a prospect to get an average NHL LHD whose salary will hurt our being able to keep a core player next season, when Pietrangelo will need to be signed. Picking up a top 6 forward is totally out of the question.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'd rather see The Blues get Mikkola into as many games as possible with his future defensive shiftmate. I don't understand why he's been sitting out so much. HE hasn't been the reason we've lost most of the last 12 games. I don't want to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder plus a prospect to get an average NHL LHD whose salary will hurt our being able to keep a core player next season, when Pietrangelo will need to be signed. Picking up a top 6 forward is totally out of the question.
I have to think Armstrong is planning to obtain a rental defender, and they don’t expect Mikkola to be a regular. If they trade for someone, they’re nit going to play both Mikkola and a newly acquired guy (most likely).

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Put me down for Option 4.
Pickup a top 9 forward AND a depth D man.

Personally, I'm leaning towards raiding Ottawa(our 1st for Pageau and Borowieki); but I can be swayed to a similar type of package from a different team.

1- Blais has 2 points in his last 15 games
Mac Mac has 4 points in his last 24 games
De La Rose has 2 points in his last 17 games
Steen had a nice 10 points in 10 games spell; but has only had 6 points in the other 33 games this year

I'm not in favor of adding Kovalchuk specifically, but I do see the need for a forward.

2- The 3rd and 4th lines that we are running right now do not even remotely resemble the ones we ran last year.
Maroon is gone and Steen, Barby and Sunny are all spending time on the top 2 units. The guys we have now might hit; but there was a skill level with the group last year that we aren't even close to replicating.

I do agree that if we do bring in a forward it needs to be somebody who can play that "heavy forecheck" style. But what we're running out there right now isn't even a pale imitation of what we ran last year. Last year; Steen was arguably the worst player on our bottom 2 lines. Right now, there are 3 guys in that mix who are clearly worse. If you want to repeat; you need to have the top end skill to put Steen/Sunny/Barby back together. Right now, we are 2 top 9 forwards short of making that happen. Vladdy might fill one of those spots, but even if he comes back you still need a legit LW for Thomas/Bozak.

EDIT: Never mind, apparently we just got Scandella from Montreal.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Assuming Bouwmeester is on LTIR for the rest of the year, it would be really easy to fit Scandella and Kovalchuk under the cap and the cost to acquire will be cheap. I would try getting both for a 2nd.
Or if Armstrong really wants to swing for the fences, try to pry Lindholm and Rakell out of ANA. Figure the cost to be astronomical. Would Faulk, Dunn, Kyrou, 2020 1st be enough for both?
Well I got the Scandella for a 2nd part right. Pretty disgusting since he was traded for a 4th earlier this year.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Salary retention plays a factor in the price too.
That is true. I think we will
The infatuation is that he can score goals, is making the league minimum and could be acquired for cheap. If it doesn't work out, don't dress him. Low risk high reward move.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
I switched this quote here where it belongs.

Let me get this straight. You say Mikkola has played at AHL different level and has his first games at NHL level and you defend that Mikkola at least has played so he don't rust on his legs. What about difference of AHL vs. NHL and noting it was his first games (debut). Wow just wow.

Size, wingspan, so its Mikkola's fault he is ala Parayko type of player? Better skater than him. Great defensive stick and long reach. Those are attributes what makes difference for shutdown dmen vs. depth dmen. I'm sickening of how deep routes this veteran presence and respect of it vs. young promising prospect. I'll give ton of respect what Gunnar has complished at NHL and what major influance for last season Cup run. Boom Boom Gunnar, but lets be real and re-evaluate if there is better option for team now.

And I'm not saying the correct answer is Mikkola, but sure he did show in short sample size 5 games he can manage to play NHL level and really impressive showcase what are his best areas of game. I see this as joker card what hasn't used at all. If Mikkola doesn't work move along and acquire need, 'cus Gunnar isn't the answer for pairing with Parayko.

I am not sure what you think I was arguing or saying. I merely pointed out that Mikkola did not show signs of rust because he was an active player while Gunner was either injured or in the pressbox.

It was not a post about youth vs. veterans or about knocking Mikkola in any way. I wished he could have gotten more experience as I think his unique qualities (size, wingspan) would be an asset.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
No...

People have said Faulk has been bad on the PK, but they did that by just using the eye test, and Blueston responded with advanced stats to counter that take. That's all fine.

I followed up with how those advanced stats are flawed, and examples of how they are flawed, and Blueston responded by saying based on the advanced stats, Faulk should be used on the PK more.

The point is, without context and certain variables like quality of teammates and competition being close to equal, those stats are pretty meaningless.
Amen.

Somethimes looks like people overlook stats wise and depend on them without understanding context. Stats are very usefull, but looks like in this case @Blueston just tried find something where to lean on and tried create something what wasn't truth.

I mean everybody understand Faulk isn't excatly our best PK'er.

My main point is that Faulk is used wrong in here (Blues). He should play powerplay (heavily), sheltered icetime at PK. Use his best attributes. Unite him with Pietro where he has clearly has been best performs.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Amen.

Somethimes looks like people overlook stats wise and depend on them without understanding context. Stats are very usefull, but looks like in this case @Blueston just tried find something where to lean on and tried create something what wasn't truth.

I mean everybody understand Faulk isn't excatly our best PK'er.

My main point is that Faulk is used wrong in here (Blues). He should play powerplay (heavily), sheltered icetime at PK. Use his best attributes. Unite him with Pietro where he has clearly has been best performs.
I watch nearly every game. I focus on our D quite a bit. I view stats as a way of helping me understand what sometimes we think we see. What I see is Faulk is a quite good player but has too often looked like square peg in round hole here. And because of that and bad puck luck, folks are piling on beyond what is deserved. So I use the stats to help explain that he is playing better than you think he is.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I watch nearly every game. I focus on our D quite a bit. I view stats as a way of helping me understand what sometimes we think we see. What I see is Faulk is a quite good player but has too often looked like square peg in round hole here. And because of that and bad puck luck, folks are piling on beyond what is deserved. So I use the stats to help explain that he is playing better than you think he is.
He clearly isn't being used properly, but it's also because there isn't a clear role for him. He'd ideally with a left-handed partner that is solid defensively, that allows Faulk to play a bit more free, and he supplements 2nd pairing minutes with PP time. Bouwmeester was probably his ideal partner here, but he was on the shutdown pair with Parayko. Faulk hasn't gotten his PP time because Pietrangelo has been great on the top unit, and then he competes with Dunn and Parayko for minutes on the 2nd.

Faulk is still a solid enough 2-way defender, but he doesn't have a clearly defined role, and there was a disconnect between the coaching staff and Armstrong on how he'd be used. He's having a season like he had in 17/18, which isn't good, but he bounced back from that season in 18/19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad