Your TDL Preference/General TDL Talk

What would you like the Blues to do at the TDL?

• Total voters

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
**For the purposes of the poll assume the "big game" option is for the Kreider/Vatanen/Brodin/Hoffman tier of player and will cost 1st+. Also generally assume Tarasenko will be back for game 1 of the playoffs so cap isn't an issue for pure rentals.**​

Not sure it will be completely necessary as the trade deadline is generally underwhelming but figured we could still separate out the TDL from the other catch-all threads pinned at the top. The Bouwmeester situation adds a wrinkle that otherwise wouldn't be there for the Blues and I think makes it more interesting from a Blues POV as I think they will be forced to do something at or before the TDL now. Even if the Blues don't end up doing anything this is still one of the more interesting times of the hockey calendar -- hopefully it won't be as slow as last year (the annual refrain that is almost never correct).

TSN "Big Board":
TSN Hockey's Trade Bait List - TSN.ca

Athletic (paywall) Trade Tracker:
The Athletic’s 2020 NHL trade deadline tracker

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I feel like a bit of a hypocrite, as I have been staunchly supporting the "stand pat" position for a long time now. But I voted for option 3, a depth addition. when JBo went down it became apparent just how important he was to this team. Even though I hate the idea of burning assets, I hate the idea of going into the playoffs with a LD of Dunn-Gunnarsson-Mikkola even more. (Yeah, Faulk, whatever. Don't even.) If we lose just one of those, we are in big trouble. We all know how injury prone Gunnar and Bortz are. We need another LD, preferably one who can PK.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
6 days left and we haven't seen Mikkola tried with Parayko.

Gutless, no balls, pathetic, disgrace, shameful, dishonorable, hideous.

Absolute shitshow!

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
stand pat.

i could be swayed by an argument for a depth left defenseman, but wouldn't mind rolling the dice with mikkola or borgman.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I wanna shoot for the moon and grab Provorov. It'll take that DA magic like that RoR trade or a complete gutting of the team though but I like that kids game

Reactions: BlueOil

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I wanna shoot for the moon and grab Provorov. It'll take that DA magic like that RoR trade or a complete gutting of the team though but I like that kids game
if this is some how possible, i change my answer to stand pat after this happens

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'd like to see us pick up a depth D (MDZ again?) to guard against the inevitable injuries. I'm also no opposed to a legit hockey trade to improve core, but I don't want to see us spend 1st or equivalent on rental.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think we either need to get someone that is a real upgrade, but that player also has to make our cap situation make sense to bring back Petro, if we can't do that, then stand pat. I'm not that sold on us repeating this year. If we could do it over, we'd probably save the assets for Faulk and move them for Hall.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Note

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We need a solid "stay at home" Dman.
The "stay at home" defenseman is an anachronism. All defensemen today need to be able to move the puck. And our system particularly requires them to get involved in the offensive zone. We still expect them to be strong in own zone though, which means this is a tough ask.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The "stay at home" defenseman is an anachronism. All defensemen today need to be able to move the puck. And our system particularly requires them to get involved in the offensive zone. We still expect them to be strong in own zone though, which means this is a tough ask.
It's just a simple way of saying we need a more defensively minded LHD, so we can have an actual shutdown pair. We simply don't have the pieces to make a shutdown pair to lead us to a Cup like Bouwmeester and Parayko did last year. We have the pieces for the other pairs, where Petro can dominate with whoever he is with and to contribute offensively, but we are missing that ideal matchup pairing.

Someone that is defensively minded, can skate well, and has good size. Basically, we need Bouwmeester.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
at this point I would take 100 out of 100 any dmen who can defend instead of Faulk. When is on ice we're in trouble.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I switched this quote here where it belongs.

Mikkola was playing regularly in the AHL when he was called up, correct? Also, size and wingspan help mask some mistakes.

Gunner has a history of ramping up and improving over time after his injury sabbaticals.
Let me get this straight. You say Mikkola has played at AHL different level and has his first games at NHL level and you defend that Mikkola at least has played so he don't rust on his legs. What about difference of AHL vs. NHL and noting it was his first games (debut). Wow just wow.

Size, wingspan, so its Mikkola's fault he is ala Parayko type of player? Better skater than him. Great defensive stick and long reach. Those are attributes what makes difference for shutdown dmen vs. depth dmen. I'm sickening of how deep routes this veteran presence and respect of it vs. young promising prospect. I'll give ton of respect what Gunnar has complished at NHL and what major influance for last season Cup run. Boom Boom Gunnar, but lets be real and re-evaluate if there is better option for team now.

And I'm not saying the correct answer is Mikkola, but sure he did show in short sample size 5 games he can manage to play NHL level and really impressive showcase what are his best areas of game. I see this as joker card what hasn't used at all. If Mikkola doesn't work move along and acquire need, 'cus Gunnar isn't the answer for pairing with Parayko.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'm 100% sanguine about standing pat in terms of replacing Bo. I think Mikkola can do that job right now and I have 0 interest in bringing in a Dman at TDL prices in a sellers market. The time to re-organize the defense is in the summer after we know what's going on with Petro.

I would still like to add a forward but do we actually even need one? Idk, but I don't like the way we're playing and at this point I'm wondering if we should do anything at all.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think we need to add SOMEONE. Even if it’s just a depth D like we did with MDZ last year.

Insurance for either Bouw or Tarasenko. I don’t really care which one.

Don’t spend too much. But bring someone in for a 3rd at least.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It's just a simple way of saying we need a more defensively minded LHD, so we can have an actual shutdown pair. We simply don't have the pieces to make a shutdown pair to lead us to a Cup like Bouwmeester and Parayko did last year. We have the pieces for the other pairs, where Petro can dominate with whoever he is with and to contribute offensively, but we are missing that ideal matchup pairing.

Someone that is defensively minded, can skate well, and has good size. Basically, we need Bouwmeester.
Sure, but we also need him to be able to transition puck you are talking about a guy like Brodin, not someone like Dillon. And those guys ain't cheap, either in terms of acquisition cost or $. That likely needs to be a hockey trade, sending guy like Schwartz out. Are we prepared to do that?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sure, but we also need him to be able to transition puck you are talking about a guy like Brodin, not someone like Dillon. And those guys ain't cheap, either in terms of acquisition cost or $. That likely needs to be a hockey trade, sending guy like Schwartz out. Are we prepared to do that?
Dillon can skate and move the puck just fine and is a lot cheaper than Brodin. Dillon is exactly the type of guy he’s referring to.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Meh. From what I have seen he is much more an Edmundson than a younger JayBo.
Sure but a younger Jay Bo was also a Team Canada Olympian, ie a pretty elite player. If that guy is available, the Blues can’t afford to give up the assets for it.

I think Dillon is about the best option out there in terms of need, fit and cost.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sure but a younger Jay Bo was also a Team Canada Olympian, ie a pretty elite player. If that guy is available, the Blues can’t afford to give up the assets for it.

I think Dillon is about the best option out there in terms of need, fit and cost.
What do you think he would cost?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Save our assets and give it our best shot this year with the in-house options. Last year's Cup bought the club a grace-period...much less urgency this go around.

Reactions: shmotz

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Sharks games what I've watched recently, Dillon looks positionally very sounded dmen, really can play hard 1on1 battles, has decent skating and can carry the puck. He plays pretty safe game. He looks something like Edmundson, but much mobile and smart if you could say about that.

Well crazy to say at this point I would take Edmundson in the lineup over Faulk if that is option.

#1 Faulk offensive tools hasn't used right, like play him with Pietro or use him at powerplay

#2 He's forced to play PK which really damage our PK.

Overally our d-system is mess up how all has been handled.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sharks games what I've watched recently, Dillon looks positionally very sounded dmen, really can play hard 1on1 battles, has decent skating and can carry the puck. He plays pretty safe game. He looks something like Edmundson, but much mobile and smart if you could say about that.

Well crazy to say at this point I would take Edmundson in the lineup over Faulk if that is option.

#1 Faulk offensive tools hasn't used right, like play him with Pietro or use him at powerplay

#2 He's forced to play PK which really damage our PK.

Overally our d-system is mess up how all has been handled.
I know Faulk is whipping boy, but he has actually been our best PK D. He has best CF and lowest GA on PK of any D (other than Dunn who averages 3 seconds of PK time).

He hasn't been great fit in lineup ES bc of variety of reasons, but even there his +/- seems largely due to bad luck as his CF is fine and his PDO is way low. He really is quality player.

Reactions: Reality Czech

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not saying the guy we need is available for the cost that we'd be willing to give up, but the move would require us dumping Bozak, and then moving 1st+. Brodin, Skjei, or someone like that. Depending on the player and Bouwmeester on LTIR, we could make a deal work without dumping salary, it would just require a move in the summer.

My stance is if we can't get someone like that or a real top 6 forward, then we might as well stand pat. A middle 6 forward that is more of a 3rd line quality wouldn't be worth it, and we have depth defensemen, so I wouldn't give more than a 5th for any depth rental.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I know Faulk is whipping boy, but he has actually been our best PK D. He has best CF and lowest GA on PK of any D (other than Dunn who averages 3 seconds of PK time).

He hasn't been great fit in lineup ES bc of variety of reasons, but even there his +/- seems largely due to bad luck as his CF is fine and his PDO is way low. He really is quality player.
He's probably not going against PP1 units though, and he doesn't account for much time on the PK either compared to others. That's where the flaws in those numbers come out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->