Your Table

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
imo, many users overrated Severstal' and underrated Donbass here

Indeed Donbass has got a really talented coach Nazarov this year. So I think they will play in playoff. However, it is unlikely that Donbass will score more than Severstal, which is very stable club (IMHO)

kiluj

May 20, 2010
Samara, Russia
On paper team doesn't look much stronger than last year but maybe they surprise us. I wouldn't mind having Riga back in playoffs. :)

PS:

From a Western European/North American POV it is far more interesting to follow Western Conference due to the missing import limits and it's way easier to visit a game on EU territory than in Nizhny Novgorod or Kazan.

NN and Kazan is in Europe.)
__
Oh, you mean Euro Union.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
nah, it's understsandable. it's a little bit strange for the eastern part of europe to be reffered as west. :)

From Tatanik's location in England, both conferences are Eastern, so it's doubly understandable. :D

It's like some under-educated Slovak journalists calling the "Middle East" also "Middle East" in Slovak, based on the English term, although the correct Slovak term has always been "Near East" (Blízky východ). See, whether something is near or far, west or east, depends on where you're sitting. :)

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
From Tatanik's location in England, both conferences are Eastern, so it's doubly understandable. :D

It's like some under-educated Slovak journalists calling the "Middle East" also "Middle East" in Slovak, based on the English term, although the correct Slovak term has always been "Near East" (Blízky východ). See, whether something is near or far, west or east, depends on where you're sitting. :)

Most Germans say Eastern Europe begins in the former GDR. :laugh: I prefer the model where Germany, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia are all referred to as Central Europe. :)

seeep

Mar 13, 2011
East
1-5 Ak Bars
1-5 Avangard
1-5 Salavat Yulaev
1-5 Magnitka
1-5 Traktor
6-7 Barys
6-7 Torpedo
8-10 Neftekhimik
8-10 Yugra
8-10 Sibir
11-14 Amur
11-14 Avtomobilist
11-14 Kuznya
11-14 Admiral

West
1-2 SKA
1-2 Dynamo Msk
3-5 CSKA
3-5 Donbass
3-5 Lev
6 Lokomotiv
7 Atlant
8-11 Medvescak
8-11 Severstal
8-11 Spartak
8-11 Slovan
12-14 Vityaz
12-14 Dynamo Riga
12-14 Dynamo Minsk

two months after my predict i can say i'm impressed by
Dinamo Riga +9 positions
Barys +4 postions
Medveschak +3 positions
Sibir +3 positions
Admiral +2 positions

many teams are on places i predicted:
SKA, Dynamo Msk, Ak Bars, MMG, Donbass, Salavat, Neftekhimik, Severstal, Torpedo, Dinamo Minsk, Avto, Spartak, Vityaz, Amur, Kuznya

and some team disappointed me:
Atlant -1 position
Lev -1 postion
CSKA -2 positions
Slovan -3 positions
Lokomotiv -3 positions
Traktor -5 positions
Avangard -6 positions

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Most Germans say Eastern Europe begins in the former GDR. :laugh: I prefer the model where Germany, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia are all referred to as Central Europe. :)

It all depends on economics, Eastern Europe is now mostly an economic term as politically (and geographically) it has pretty much lost any meaning... When Czechs will earn as much as Austrians, they'll be Central Europe, when Estonians earn as much as Finns, they'll be Northern Europe....

Nobody really wants to be in Eastern Europe, cause it's bad for your reputation :laugh:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
No Slovak refers to Slovakia as an "Eastern European country". It's ignoramuses from the West who do that. :p: The consensus is that it's a Central European country. Part of the former East Block, sure, but a Central European country. Ditto for Czech Republic.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
No Slovak refers to Slovakia as an "Eastern European country". It's ignoramuses from the West who do that. :p: The consensus is that it's a Central European country. Part of the former East Block, sure, but a Central European country. Ditto for Czech Republic.

Well. In Germany they tell you in school that Czechoslovakia was politically part of the Eastern block but it always was geographically part of Central Europe (just as the GDR). Especially with the West of the Czech Republic it would be hilarious as most parts of Eastern Germany are East of the Western part of Czech Republic. :) And Slovakia is also pretty much in the center. I mean it borders Vienna more or less. Would be interesting to have Austria as an Eastern European country.

Anything else also doesn't make much sense. What would be Ukraine? Far Eastern Europe? :nod:

For me the only Eastern European countries are Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Russia. ;) Romania, Bulgaria etc belong to an own region (South Eastern Europe).

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Well. In Germany they tell you in school that Czechoslovakia was politically part of the Eastern block but it always was geographically part of Central Europe (just as the GDR). Especially with the West of the Czech Republic it would be hilarious as most parts of Eastern Germany are East of the Western part of Czech Republic. :) And Slovakia is also pretty much in the center. I mean it borders Vienna more or less. Would be interesting to have Austria as an Eastern European country.

Anything else also doesn't make much sense. What would be Ukraine? Far Eastern Europe? :nod:

For me the only Eastern European countries are Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Russia. ;) Romania, Bulgaria etc belong to an own region (South Eastern Europe).
United nations disagrees with almost everything you wrote - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_subregion_map_UN_geoschme.svg

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Nonsense, ozo. :shakehead That is not a "UN map", but a map of a statistical unit under UN, for which it makes sense to preserve the Cold War divisions due to persisting gaps in average income, etc. Othewise, that map has nothing to do with reality. (Great Britain grouped with Scandinavia?! Italy with Serbia?! Please...) :D

Here is the correct map for you:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_subregion_map_world_factbook.svg

(The 3 Baltic countries might perhaps deserve their own sub-region.)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Hmmm? :amazed: With the potential exception of the 3 Baltic states, I find it to be exact (almost over-exact, such as the not necessary separation of Spain/Portugal into a separate sub-region).

FreshFruit

Sep 30, 2013
Europe
Are we really discussing about geographical(ehmm, political) map of Europe?
No honey there folks. You shall always find some nation that is insulted that it's in this part and not in other, bla, bla, bla...

Heck, I think that during last 100 years that map has changed 20 times.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
This map placed my country in a region with many countries that we don't share absolutely nothing in common. Common history, langauge, trade, close political association etc, etc..
I live on mediterranean coast few kilometers from Italy and Slovenia and some CIA WF nerd is telling me that I have more in common with Albania, Turkey, Bulgaria, Macedonia or Romania? Total nonsense.
It's the same like somebody placed Slovakia with Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. Nothing in common.

SledgeHammer

Sep 30, 2013
Zagreb
1. Dynamo Msk
2. SKA
3. Donbass
4. Lev
5. Medvescak
6. Dinamo R
7. Lokomotiv
8. Severstal
9. CSKA
10. Spartak
11. Slovan
12. Atlant
13. Dinamo Mn
14. Vityaz

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I live on mediterranean coast few kilometers from Italy and Slovenia and some CIA WF nerd is telling me that I have more in common with Albania, Turkey, Bulgaria, Macedonia or Romania?

It's not about you but about the entire country. I assure you some Italians from northern Italy would bristle at being called "Southern Europeans", but for the country of Italy, that designation is correct.

I do believe we're off-topic here, though. Latgale_fan for some reason picked up a 2-month-old remark earlier tonight, but it would be best to leave it at that. :) I think this thread is about predictions for this season, and I still predict Slovan will make the play-offs. :handclap:

FreshFruit

Sep 30, 2013
Europe
Let's give it a shot;

1) SKA
2) Dynamo Moscow
3) Lev
4) CSKA
5) Donbass
6) Lokomotiv
7) Spartak
8) Dinamo Riga
9) Atlant
10) Medvescak
11) Slovan
12) Severstal
13) Vityaz
14) Dinamo Minsk

Bitter fight from 8th to 11th place.
Don't follow Eastern Conference.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Ok. Originally I wanted to post something here after 3/11 but who cares...

1. SKA
2. Dynamo
3. CSKA
4. Donbass
5. Lokomotiv
6. Lev
7. Atlant
8. Spartak
9. Medvescak
10. Severstal
11. Slovan
12. Riga