Speculation: Your starting 5 against "the idiots"?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Just listened to Tortorella's post-game presser, and watched the clip of him at the Flames dressing room.

I see Tortorella's point of view in his post-game presser, 100%. I understand it, I see where he is coming from. But, it's a bit old school to me. In this day and age, meh, I don't think much comes of it at the beginning of that game if he started the Sedins.

I'd start our top line, no question. And I'd likely enjoy a quick 1-0 lead within about 30 seconds. Wouldn't fall for the goon tactics. Go play the game, fight when the time is right. There is a time and place for it, but that isn't it and what Hartley did, if his intention was to indeed goon it up, was pretty stupid. In that instance, make him look foolish and beat him on the scoreboard. People will see it for what it is.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
It was Hartley's intention Guerzy. Guy is notorious for BS like that. He and Torts also have a massive hate-on for each other.

For the Canucks, it made sense for not starting the Sedins against Calgary's goons. Henrik is injured and you don't know what the Calgary players were thinking.

With the Jets I wouldn't start our best players either. I wouldn't want to take that chance of them getting into a fight.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Hartley was essentially trolling Torts. He knew he'd reply with his goons and blow a gasket because of it. It happened before when he was in NY. He's so predictable. Most head coaches are smarter than that.

White Out 403*

People who say that the Canucks had to protect their stars then need to explain to me why goons are allowed in the league if they can't start a game. What kind of nonsense is that? If he starts the Sedins and they try and attack them the refs would step in and give out penalties.

McGrattan is honourable too. Not a chance he stands for any nonsense like what happened to Scott. And Scott's incident was in the 3rd.this was the face off Ffs

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Hartley was clearly looking for a fight. In that situation, you have to put out guys that can fight back, because you just don't know what Calgary's gonna do. And this is coming from the world's biggest "don't get mad, get even" type.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Thorburn-Wright-Peluso

Buff Stuart

Seriously we could handle Calgary's 5 no problem and I got to say I would not want to be the 3rd toughest guy because you would have to handle Buff and he is no slouch

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Thorburn-Wright-Peluso

Buff Stuart

Seriously we could handle Calgary's 5 no problem and I got to say I would not want to be the 3rd toughest guy because you would have to handle Buff and he is no slouch

I agree.
I'm with Torts that I wouldn't risk a player getting jumped. In the other thread I posted the video of sestito fighting Nolan who wanted nothing to do with it. If an idiot is set on fighting someone I'm not going to let it be my studs.

I see the other side of the coin, and in a perfect world I would send out my top line to score. I just don't trust a hit squad to not do something

Edit: I would have Pardy not Buff on the ice. No need to have Buff ejected if a brawl breaks out.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Ladd - Little - Byfuglien
Stuart- Bogosian

Enough skill to make them pay with a goal if they don't start anything, enough size and toughness so they probably wouldn't want to start anything.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Thorburn-Wright-Peluso

Buff Stuart

I wouldn't put Buff out there on the off chance that he might get kicked out of the game, the Canucks lost Bieksa, not as big as losing Buff would be for the Jets but he's still one of their top 4.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I agree.
I'm with Torts that I wouldn't risk a player getting jumped. In the other thread I posted the video of sestito fighting Nolan who wanted nothing to do with it. If an idiot is set on fighting someone I'm not going to let it be my studs.

I see the other side of the coin, and in a perfect world I would send out my top line to score. I just don't trust a hit squad to not do something

Edit: I would have Pardy not Buff on the ice. No need to have Buff ejected if a brawl breaks out.

Sestito is a bad example. Nolan cheap shotted a Sedin

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Sestito is a bad example. Nolan cheap shotted a Sedin

So...
People say refuse to fight.
If someone wants to fight you regardless of their motivation you're in a bad spot.
If Heartly throws them out to fight, you don't think they're as motivated to fight as Sestito was? That's their job, if their coach send them out there to fight they better fight. They don't add enough to not listen. What would happen to them if they didn't start something and got scored on? Get waived? Perhaps.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
So...
People say refuse to fight.
If someone wants to fight you regardless of their motivation you're in a bad spot.
If Heartly throws them out to fight, you don't think they're as motivated to fight as Sestito was? That's their job, if their coach send them out there to fight they better fight. They don't add enough to not listen. What would happen to them if they didn't start something and got scored on? Get waived? Perhaps.

Sestito was sticking up for his captain. Calgary started off the game fighting. There's a huge difference there. Nolan turtled like he always does.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Sestito was sticking up for his captain. Calgary started off the game fighting. There's a huge difference there. Nolan turtled like he always does.

Huh.
I'm not defending Calgarys actions.
I'm defending torts for not putting out the Sedins.

If someone wants to fight bad enough (Sestito example) they'll fight. And you can't put skill players in that position.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Huh.

If someone wants to fight bad enough (Sestito example) they'll fight. And you can't put skill players in that position.

Sorry misunderstood!

I swear if they got rid of the instigator rule there wouldn't be cheap shots.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Huh.

I would have put the Sedins out there. No one would blame them for turtling, or skating away if they got jumped...no one expects them to fight. The officials would pull them apart soon enough and you probably come out there with a couple of powerplays, and Hartley comes out looking like a fool, and probably the one to get a talking to by the league.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I would have put the Sedins out there. No one would blame them for turtling, or skating away if they got jumped...no one expects them to fight. The officials would pull them apart soon enough and you probably come out there with a couple of powerplays, and Hartley comes out looking like a fool, and probably the one to get a talking to by the league.

And it takes one punch from McGratten to concuss one of them.
Yeah you have the moral high ground meanwhile the one punch that he lands puts your best player on IR.
All I'm saying is that I agree with Torts that the risks of a skill player getting hurt outweighs the benefit of scoring a quick goal on the third worst team in the league.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
There really isn't any proof that the brawl still would have resulted if the first line was sent out instead. IMHO, it played out the way it did, because Torts took the bait and responded with his own 'role players/goons'. Goons rarely fight stars; goons fight other goons, or at the very least, players who are known to be part-time fighters.

Unless you're a boxing hobo on skates of course.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There really isn't any proof that the brawl still would have resulted if the first line was sent out instead. IMHO, it played out the way it did, because Torts took the bait and responded with his own 'role players/goons'. Goons rarely fight stars; goons fight other goons, or at the very least, players who are known to be part-time fighters.

You're the coach. You have your first line of skill guys, one of which is nursing an injury and none of them fight. Are you really going to risk calling Hartley's bluff?

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
And it takes one punch from McGratten to concuss one of them.
Yeah you have the moral high ground meanwhile the one punch that he lands puts your best player on IR.

If hockey has seriously degraded to "I guess I better put my fighters out so they cant assault my superstars" then maybe I should quit watching/supporting the sport.

I start a non-useless line against their line of pylons. Ladd Joker Buff Bogo and I dunno. Someone else.

Tough guys, in case they get "attacked", but also a talented line so that they can make the move look as stupid as it really is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad