Your Seattle Kraken Team

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
ok..for those of you with the time and inclination...now that the lists are out and with some very impressive players left unprotected...all in the name of fun.....build your Kraken team, solely from the list of unprotected players....and UFA's of course....no trades or deals.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
upload_2021-7-18_12-33-39.png

And of course, after this, I'd be trading four of my cheap extra D men and a goalie or two around the league for futures.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

KevFu

May 22, 2009
In hindshight, I'm a little thin down the middle, maybe Henrique instead of Milano from Anaheim.

Trade bait: Comeau, Kulak, Stecher, Brown, Kylington; Subban, Stalock

Kerfoot - Gourde - Donskoi
Johnsson - Henrique - Virtanen
Aston-Reese - Blackwell - Lemieux
Jarnkrok - Bjugstad - Pitlick
Bellows - Girgensons - Comeau

Gardiner - Dunn
Gostisbehere - De Melo
Simek - Lauzon
Brown

Vanecek
Dreiger

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I give credit to anyone who wants to try this exercise. Because we have no inside information on what teams might be calling Seattle to not just make trades to protect their own exposed players, but perhaps to get an exposed player from another team, the permutations are endless and could make your brain explode.

I've been dizzy just trying to keep up with all the news and posts of the past 48 hours.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 12.23.19 AM.png

I went big here - battled with either Tank or Dunn, but LHD is very thin after all the trades, so I went with Dunn and chose Voracek. Bailey makes .500k less than Eberle and that is the main reason I went with Josh. Took a chance on Domi as the 2C, but focused on strong C depth with Gourde and Tierney supporting up the middle. Really love the bottom 6 - tough players and Aston Reese and Lemieux are interchangeable.

I added the ages so folks can see the team is fairly young. Mason Mactavish would be the selection @ 2 OA.

Goalie-
Driedger - which is pretty much a done deal.
Vanecek - came in 6th in calder and there were moments last season that he outplayed Samsonov.
Kahkonen - is 3rd. goalie taken - I flip him to Buffalo for a pick and Tokarski, who is the perfect 3rd G.

Hamilton - Seattle selects Hamilton from Carolina and signs him to 8x8. Dunn and Ritchie sign short-term deals. Zadorov and Aston-Reese are given qualifying offers.

Voracek (30) - Duchene (30) - Bailey (32)
McCann (26) - Domi (26) - Donskoi (29)
Ritchie (25) - Gourde (29) - Blackwell (26)
Lemieux (24) - Tierney (27) - Fisher (25)
Giordano (36) - Hamilton (28)
Dunn (24) - DeMelo (27)
Zadorov (26) - Fleury (25)

Aston-Reese (26) and Gambrell (26) as the 13th and 14th F
Borgen (24) as the 7th D

Kole Lind and Nathan Bastian provides F depth in the AHL and are waiver exempt next season. Obviously, the team needs to sign AHL talent.

Joel Hanley, Cholowksi, Lagesson, Cale Fleury provide blueline depth in the AHL

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Here is another view - that shows long term with ages and contracts - Cap 81.3
If there is more $ needed to sign RFAs and Hamilton, then trading Donskoi or Domi for picks and prospects and calling up Bastian and the team is still in good shape.
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 12.40.53 AM.png

Last edited:

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Here is another view - that shows long term with ages and contracts - Cap 81.3
If there is more $ needed to sign RFAs and Hamilton, then trading Donskoi or Domi for picks and prospects and calling up Bastian and the team is still in good shape.
View attachment 453937

That’s a lot of anchors. Your selection surely fits their maritime theme.

Everyone is talking about the value of cap space today. Seattle will not touch declining players with monster deals such as Duchane, and they will not spend over 81 million the first year. That would be a huge, huge mistake.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
View attachment 453816

And of course, after this, I'd be trading four of my cheap extra D men and a goalie or two around the league for futures.

Does Bellows crack this lineup? Because if not then he’s kind of useless. He is no longer waiver exempt, but is at the point in his career that he needs to play.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That’s a lot of anchors. Your selection surely fits their maritime theme.

Everyone is talking about the value of cap space today. Seattle will not touch declining players with monster deals such as Duchane, and they will not spend over 81 million the first year. That would be a huge, huge mistake.

The only two anchors are Duchene and Voracek... I have always liked Duchene and the team needs C with the cap space I take a risk.

With Voracek the safer pick because it 1.25 less and 1 less year is JVR, but again I think Voracek is the better all around player and he is younger. You can pencil Duchene and Voracek for 50 -60 for the next 2 years.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The only two anchors are Duchene and Voracek... I have always liked Duchene and the team needs C with the cap space I take a risk.

With Voracek the safer pick because it 1.25 less and 1 less year is JVR, but again I think Voracek is the better all around player and he is younger. You can pencil Duchene and Voracek for 50 -60 for the next 2 years.
Thing is you need a center, but taking Duchene and you are stuck with him and that contract. That's the issue. He's not that guy that (a) should get that money, and (b) deliver on it. He's also known he's not a leader of a franchise either.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
does your team meet the cap req?
This is a weak UFA class too.
This roster if no other adds is 40 point team next year.

When I made the roster it did although it turns out I have more extra money to play with than I expected if I do a version 2.0

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Thing is you need a center, but taking Duchene and you are stuck with him and that contract. That's the issue. He's not that guy that (a) should get that money, and (b) deliver on it. He's also known he's not a leader of a franchise either.

I understand and this is not what I believe Francis would do - this is what I would do. I have always really liked Duchene and I would take a shot - hell. I didn’t do anything like this b/c it complicates stuff, but I could have probably added an asset to take on Duchene and his 5 years.

Voracek has been at least a 60 point player every season and at 3 years not all that crazy - prefer him over JVR in the end, who I almost chose instead of Voracek.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I understand and this is not what I believe Francis would do - this is what I would do. I have always really liked Duchene and I would take a shot - hell. I didn’t do anything like this b/c it complicates stuff, but I could have probably added an asset to take on Duchene and his 5 years.

Voracek has been at least a 60 point player every season and at 3 years not all that crazy - prefer him over JVR in the end, who I almost chose instead of Voracek.
ah, got it.

Reactions: SI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If I'm Francis...

1. I go through the expansion list and first prioritize all the players we feel like can be Kraken for 3+ years and build a core Cup competing group around.
  2. After that I action off all the best remaining players to whatever teams want to give us prospects/picks/under 25 players.
  3. Once all the deals are complete then I just draft the most talented remaining players with the hopes they become core players or I will trade them in the future.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Not really on topic, just stating that I feel the Kraken are going to be extremely popular, especially if they have a good expansion draft. Seattle has some great fans. If they support the hockey team as much as the Seahawks, they are gonna be big.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Not really on topic, just stating that I feel the Kraken are going to be extremely popular, especially if they have a good expansion draft. Seattle has some great fans. If they support the hockey team as much as the Seahawks, they are gonna be big.

I doubt they'll support the team like the Seahawks. But if they support the team like they support the SOUNDERS it will still be great.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

There’s not a lot to do in Seattle so I expect them to do very well.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
New Seattle Stab -
Kraken 719 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Implemented some of Servalli's rumors -
Still went with Duchene but got assets to do so.

the roster is 25 and still under the cap - 23 man roster is almost 2m clear of the cap.
Lots of picks for futures and built a very competitive team
Signed some AHL (12 players only since they are sharing with Panthers)

Roughly -
Voracek - Duchene - Donskoi
Bailey - Danault - Appleton
McCann - Tierney - Vatrano
Lemieux - Joseph - Fisher
Khaira - Gambrell - Gauthier*
Giordano - Hamilton
Bean - Clifton
Zadorov - Shattenkirk
Kukan - Borgen*
Driedger
Holtby
Kahkonen *

2021 - 3 1st rounders and 4 seconds
2022 - 1 1st rounder, 3 2nd rounders, and 2 thirds

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Seattle has won the Cup more recently than Winnipeg!

(Seattle Metropolitans in 1917, Winnipeg Victorias in 1902.)

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad