Salary Cap: Your salary cap ideas - Get creative!

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Slap franchise tags on 1 player from each team and then start the cap count. in our case we would be 11.6 million under the cap with AM franchised. optional for lower based teams that need to get to the floor.

Franchise tag status seems to piss off a lot of NFL players so I don't know if that's a good idea. NHLPA probably would veto. I suggest a "Bird rights" rule like the NBA. Similar to the franchise tag in that teams get to select one player. He must be off his ELC, drafted by the team and have spent his entire career to date with them. His salary doesn't count against the cap. Teams can select a different player each year, or elect to designate said player for as many years as you wish, including the remaining length of his current contract. But if you do...you can't switch unless the player is traded. If he's traded at any point in the season, you lose the exemption. This would curtail any shenanigans with cap circumvention I would think. Teams would have the option of exemption or not (I'm sure most would take advantage of it regardless, but who knows?)

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Franchise tag status seems to piss off a lot of NFL players so I don't know if that's a good idea. NHLPA probably would veto. I suggest a "Bird rights" rule like the NBA. Similar to the franchise tag in that teams get to select one player. He must be off his ELC, drafted by the team and have spent his entire career to date with them. His salary doesn't count against the cap. Teams can select a different player each year, or elect to designate said player for as many years as you wish, including the remaining length of his current contract. But if you do...you can't switch unless the player is traded. If he's traded at any point in the season, you lose the exemption. This would curtail any shenanigans with cap circumvention I would think. Teams would have the option of exemption or not (I'm sure most would take advantage of it regardless, but who knows?)
This is basically what I was trying to convey. I used the term franchise tag but this is exactly what I meant. Thanks

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Leafs in the off-season should make advantage of the cap overage allowance, and as often as they can sign players for other teams, only to trade the player to them for a pick.

IE: On July 1, Player X is about to sign with Arizona, 3-years, $6million. Instead he signs with Toronto, the first year a $5M signing bonus. Toronto pays the bonus and deals the player to Arizona for a pick.

Buy draft picks by paying signing bonuses for other teams. Trade for players on June 30th, pay their bonus and trade them back on July 2nd.

Obviously, a lot of trust would need to be established.. but you start with small flips and small profits. Once everyone knows Dubas doesn't screw anyone, Toronto can work at paying the entire league's salaries in exchange for the ability to draft every single player in the world.

Added: if there isn't a rule against this already, I'm sure there would be within 10 minutes of the first instance of it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 666 and qqaz

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This type of trade for example (only contingent on Kesler never playing again)

To Tor: Eaves(LTIR), Kesler (LTIR), Comtois, Ritchie, Stolarz

To Anaheim: Kapanen, Johnsson, Bracco, 2nd

Saves Anaheim a lot of $$$ this year, and the next 2 seasons. For the Leafs, it's only LTIR money. Cap issues alleviated, and you can resign the whole D if you want. Get a backup with some upside.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Moore
Comtois - Spezza/Goat - Korshkov
Spezza/Goat, Petan/Timashov

This is the type of deal the Leafs should be looking to make.

Last edited:

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
This trade (only contingent on Kesler never playing again)

To Tor: Kesler (LTIR), Comtois, Ritchie, Stolarz

To Anaheim: Kapanen, Johnsson, Bracco, 2nd

Saves Anaheim $$$ this year, and the next 2 seasons. For the Leafs, it's only LTIR money. Cap issues alleviated, and you can resign the whole D if you want. Get a backup with some upside.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Moore
Comtois - Spezza/Goat - Korshkov
Spezza/Goat, Petan/Timashov

This is the type of deal the Leafs should make.
You think Ducks would bite ha ha?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Trade Marner and Bracco for Konecny and Sanheim (or a similar type package where the Leafs get at least a top 6 quality RW and a 2nd pairing quality RD who are of an appropriate age; I'd assume any additional pieces attached do not impact the NHL roster this year).
Trade Gauthier for DeSmith + 5th (or just futures and sign a backup for about what DeSmith makes).
Trade Kapanen for a late 1st round pick at the 2020 draft.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Konecny
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Moore
Timashov-Brooks-Korshkov
Petan

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Dermott-Sanheim
Sandin-Liljegren
Harpur-Miller

Andersen-DeSmith

Pietrangelo: 7x11
Mikheyev: 2x2.5
Timashov: 2x750k
Dermott: 3x3
Harpur: 2x750k
Miller: 1x950k
Brooks: 2x750k

On an 84.5 mill cap, that should leave a little over 600k in wiggle room.

---

Agostino-Kossila-Dzierkals
Marchment-Vet-Vet
Engvall-SDA-Vet
Holmberg-Stotts-Brazeau
Elynuik + Depth

Kivihalme-Lindgren
Vet-Hollowell
Vet-Duszak
Kral-Vet

Woll-Scott

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Hate to say it but Marner's time as a Leaf is limited. They will go for it this year, but if Marner doesn't pick it up, coupled with how he handled negotiations, I think his days are numbered.

Nylander is too valuable at his cap hit to trade for us if he can be a 70 point winger for Matthews. JT can produce with nearly anyone.

Sign a top 6 winger in UFA for 6M and use the other 6M to keep the defense together. Get back first + prospects to keep the cheap ELC players coming in the Marner return.

I don't care what Dubas said publicly, there are hard feelings, especially when you put your team into that spot and then fail to live up to the contract.

Reactions: freshwind

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hate to say it but Marner's time as a Leaf is limited. They will go for it this year, but if Marner doesn't pick it up, coupled with how he handled negotiations, I think his days are numbered.

Nylander is too valuable at his cap hit to trade for us if he can be a 70 point winger for Matthews. JT can produce with nearly anyone.

Sign a top 6 winger in UFA for 6M and use the other 6M to keep the defense together. Get back first + prospects to keep the cheap ELC players coming in the Marner return.

I don't care what Dubas said publicly, there are hard feelings, especially when you put your team into that spot and then fail to live up to the contract.

I think Nylander becomes more than a 70 point winger with Matthews, especially when both start hitting their strides. I think we are looking at consistent 80 point with maybe the odd 90 point season out of a healthy Nylander. Matthews is capable of eclipsing 100 regularly, especially if he starts getting healthy PP time.

That's good value for 7 mill, and we can afford to pay him once his deal is up.

I agree about Marner though. He possesses a ton of trade value, which is far more than his per dollar contribution to this team. He'll easily be worth his contract to another team, but when you are our 2nd or 3rd most important forward, and barely cracking the top 5 overall, you can't be making 11 mill. He can easily be one of, if not the most, important player on a number of other teams and the number is completely justified at that point.

Screw the optics. His job is to make this team the best it can be. Leafs fans will forget Marner if they raise a Cup (or multiple cups) just like Raptors fans somewhat forgot about DeRozan when they won with Leonard. The important thing for Dubas is to build a winning team, and you can do that without Marner.

Reactions: freshwind

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
As much as we love JT coming home and not paying a player/prospects for him to do so, it has become our Trojan Horse. It upset the salary balance for this team.

48 goal scoring strong 2 way UFA centres are worth every penny of $11+
What upset our structure is overpaying RFAs

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Slap franchise tags on 1 player from each team and then start the cap count. in our case we would be 11.6 million under the cap with AM franchised. optional for lower based teams that need to get to the floor.
From a league perspective I have some thoughts:
Move towards the NBA model. Have things like Bird rights.
Give incentive to players to re-sign with the team that drafted them, etc.
Maybe not have ELC bonuses count against the cap.
Cap the number of years and the $value a player coming out of the ELC can get.
Allow 1 buyout ever 2 years to not count against the cap, which you can also trade away. Maybe call it a buyout exception.
Look into trade exceptions, where a team that has taken on more salary cap in a trade for a player, you get that cap space back in the following years or something.
You could also look at other ways like this where a team could get cap credits. Maybe if you miss the playoffs, you get an additional $1M in cap space the following year (without changing the cap floor for you team).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad