Speculation: Your Rosters For 2014-15 Here

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I've never really played with capgeek before, but I found it a little fun. Your rosters don't have to be on capgeek, but, again, just a little fun. But I apparently used the wrong browser, and can't get a text version of what I did. So heres the low-down:

Signed
Radim Vrbata for 5 million.
Ryan Callahan for 5.5.
Ondrej Palat for 2.5.
Tyler Johnson for 2.
Mike Angelidis for 600,000.

Qualified
R. Panik
J. Brown
A. Sustr
M. Kostka
M. Barberio
C. Kunyk
D. Korobov

Bought out
R. Malone (Compliance)

Traded
T. Purcell and A. Killorn (probably a pick or two [or 3] as well ;) ) to Vancouver for K. Bieksa (4.6) and R. Kesler (5).

Cap Space left: $3,477,627

Lineup (don't care if people are on their off sides):
Kesler - Stamkos - Vrbata
Callahan - Flip - Palat
Drouin - Johnson - Panik
Brown - Thompson - Crombeen

(I really like that 2nd and 3rd line btw. As for Vrbata, he's not bad at hockey, and was one of the better FAs I saw.)

Extras: Paquette, Kucherov, Angelidis, Kunyk

Hedman - Bieksa
Gudas - Carle
Brewer - Sustr

Extras: Kostka, Barberio, Korobov

I'm not extremely well-versed in sports money issues, I was just having some fun. Also, I doubt we get Kesler and Bieksa. Again, this was just something I threw together for fun. Lets see what you guys have got. Also wasn't really sure how to send people to the minors (think it's my browser) so that Angelidis, Paquette, etc wouldn't count (is that even how it works? Do players in the minors count against the cap? Now that I think about it, they just might...)

Last edited:

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Vrbata is too much of a gamble Imo, he hasn't really impressed outside of Yotes, and I think you forgot Connolly from your trade with Vancouver :) otherwise fine lines, but I think, considering SYs and Coops methods, that they're going to give Drouin at least 10 games in the A

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Some very BOLD predictions for the 2014/2015 season.

Drouin - Filpulla - Stamkos 'C'
Palat - Johnson - Callahan 'A'
Panik - Namestnikov - Kucherov
Moore - Thompson 'A' - Brown

Hedman - Tanev
Carle 'A' - Gudas
Koekkoek - Boyle
Barberio - Sustr

Bishop
Gudlevskis

Yzerman uses his second and final compliance buyout on Malone.

Purcell get's traded to New Jersey for whatever picks they will offer. This trade has the potential to evolve into something more which could include Swedish blue-liner Adam Larsson.

Killorn and Connolly are apart of the package that snags us Tanev.

Brewer and Crombeen sent out to the highest bidders.

Callahan resigns $5.5 x 6 (NMC).

Koekkoekk has a speedy recovery from his recent shoulder injury and impresses the coaching staff with his sound positional play and hockey sense. Ultimately earns a spot on the Lightnings 3rd pairing.

Dan Boyle and Dominic Moore are both brought back into the Lightning organisation on 2 year deals.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Vrbata is too much of a gamble Imo, he hasn't really impressed outside of Yotes, and I think you forgot Connolly from your trade with Vancouver :) otherwise fine lines, but I think, considering SYs and Coops methods, that they're going to give Drouin at least 10 games in the A

Don't think that they can send Drouin to the A. If I'm correct, he has to be 20yo. It's the NHL or juniors, and he has no need to be in the juniors anymore.

Too bad his game probably won't translate to the big leagues.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I'm a tad bit unreasonable here perhaps, but, umm, Radim Vrbata, been there, done that, not interested in those shenanigans again.

Not really sure this team has a particularly strong need to go after forwards this off-season, anyway. Which is really just my way of saying that I'm more inclined to focus on the blueline before looking at forwards.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Y'all are being entirely too reasonable. Go big or go home. We need a top right D?

Let's trade for Shea Weber! :laugh:

So, I punched that into Capgeek. Because why not. Bought out Malone. Traded Purcell and Kucherov to Nashville plus probably a ton of picks or whatnot for said Shea Weber. Signed Callahan for 5.5. Picked up Biznasty in UFA because Twitter hillarity and he can actually scrap a bit.

Sent Kristers to the AHL and picked up Montoya for backup.

Forwards - may be offside, but we're just playing here
Johnson - Stammer - Drouin
Palat - Filppula - Callahan (this line needs to get back together)
Panik - Pacquette - Connolly
Biznasty - Thompson - Brown

Defense
Hedman - Weber
Gudas - Sustr
Brewer - Carle
Kostka - Barbs

Goalies
Bishop
Montoya

Seriously, though. I'm bad at this. It's a good thing I'm not a GM. I never do well in NHL 14, either.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some very BOLD predictions for the 2014/2015 season.

Drouin - Filpulla - Stamkos 'C'
Palat - Johnson - Callahan 'A'
Panik - Namestnikov - Kucherov
Moore - Thompson 'A' - Brown

Hedman - Tanev
Carle 'A' - Gudas
Koekkoek - Boyle
Barberio - Sustr

Bishop
Gudlevskis

Yzerman uses his second and final compliance buyout on Malone.

Purcell get's traded to New Jersey for whatever picks they will offer. This trade has the potential to evolve into something more which could include Swedish blue-liner Adam Larsson.

Killorn and Connolly are apart of the package that snags us Tanev.

Brewer and Crombeen sent out to the highest bidders.

Callahan resigns $5.5 x 6 (NMC).

Koekkoekk has a speedy recovery from his recent shoulder injury and impresses the coaching staff with his sound positional play and hockey sense. Ultimately earns a spot on the Lightnings 3rd pairing.

Dan Boyle and Dominic Moore are both brought back into the Lightning organisation on 2 year deals.

From my experience dealing with the NY media, and all the trade talks, Callahan accepted the money offer of 6 million and 6 years, in Florida it would be like taking around 5.5 million. It was the NTC that sent the deal south. Sather did not want to give him a single year of a NTC. If Tampa can negotiate give him maybe 3 or 4 years with a NTC, then a deal should happen.

I see you mentioned D.Moore. Would be cool to see him here, after watching him in NY. He certainly has a lot to offer as a 4th line center. Right now it will be a toss up between Brian Boyle and Dominic Moore, both are up for extensions, and I don't see the Rangers keeping both.

Any interest in Matt Moulson?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not gonna make a dream lineup with trades as SY has shown he isn't willing to make big moves.

Palat-Johnson-Stamkos
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan
Brown-Drouin-Connolly
Panik-Thompson-Purcell
Crombeen

Hedman-Gilbert
Carle-Sustr
Brewer-Gudas
Barberio/Kostka

Bishop
Gudlevskis

Think the forward group stays pretty much intact, resign Cally, Drouin-Connolly need to be on the team while Paquette-Kucherov start the year in the A.

D also pretty much stays the same, SY won't pay the price to acquire a #2 and there's no big FA so he'll go with a reliable vet with a good with the puck on his stick. He's not a top pair guy but don't think we can ideally get one of those. Sustr jumps Gudas and Barberio-Kostka are Cooper guys who can fill in ok.

Bishop is the clear #1 but I think we are smarter with him and rest him more. Gudlevskis would benefit from starting more but if Vasilevskiy comes he'll get majority of the starts in Syracuse. Think we give Gudlevskis 25-30 starts.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I'm a tad bit unreasonable here perhaps, but, umm, Radim Vrbata, been there, done that, not interested in those shenanigans again.

Not really sure this team has a particularly strong need to go after forwards this off-season, anyway. Which is really just my way of saying that I'm more inclined to focus on the blueline before looking at forwards.

For sure. We just had the space, and I had shipped Connolly, Killer, and Purcell to Nucks to get Bieksa and Kesler. Figured we might need another top 6er, and Vrbata was one of the better FAs that I saw.

After thinking about it, maybe we sign Boyle on the cheap to fill in on the D, and still get a top 4. That seems to make sense with Steve's plan.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I don't think big changes will happen, nor do I think should happen. It would be completly wrong to go out and trade for guys like Kesler or sign Vrbata as the OP mentioned. This team will not be a real contender next season yet, so once we really are we would have problems getting the young good guys under contract because we would still have Keslers contract, ...

So the changes should be rather small. One big trade/signing for one of the better defenders out there and the rest should be minor tweaks.

1) The FA scenario:

Palat-Johnson-Stamkos
Killorn-Flip-Callahan
Brown-Drouin-Kucherov
Crombeen-Thompson-Panik
Connolly, ???

Trade Purcell for a pick and sign a hard hitting additional forward (or get one as throw in for Purcell). Tanner Glass or Craig Asham could be interesting imo, at least their stats seem like a good fit :naughty:
We could keep Vlad and Paquette in the minors and which should be nice come playoff time as we have more quality depth.

Hedman-Fayne (signed at ~3m)
Carle-Sustr
Brewer-Gudas
Barbs-Kostka

Gudas will start next to Carle, but Sustr will overtake him at some point of the season. Fayne could be a really great partner for Hedman and is imo a really underrated defender. Aulie will be gone and with Barbs 1 year older he might push for a permanent spot next to Gudas at some point. Kostka should be a healthy scratch more often than not.
If it's not Fayne, might try and get Niskanen.

Bishop
Vokoun (on a 1-year deal)

Lindbäck will be gone, maybe we are lucky and get a late pick for him, otherwise just send him out for nothing.
Both Vasya and Gudlevskis should see some NHL ice in regular season, to prepare them to potentially step in and see who is gonna be in the NHL the next season.

2) The trade scenario:

Palat-Johnson-Stamkos
Drouin-Flip-Callahan
Brown-Thompson-Kucherov
Purcell-Paquette-Panik
Connolly, Crombeen

We keep Purcell for depth reasons and trade Killer as our best value piece for a defender.

Hedman-Sustr/Tanev
Carle-Psysk/Sustr
Brewer-Gudas
Barberio, Kostka

Trade Killorn for either Tanev or Psysk (obviously with picks here and there). Problem is we have nobody on the right side that is really able to do the heavy lifting just yet, so most likely the guys would split the time (all three around 20min) and play with different guys as their partner.

Bishop
Vokoun

Same as the other scenario. Vokoun is just the best veteran option out there imo.

I would imagine we go the FA route, if SY sees a realistic chance to get either of Fayne or Niskanen at a reasonable cap hit (4m or less). Its the safer route and nobody knows if there is a dance partner for a Killorn trade out there.

Could also see SY keep Purcell in both scenarios and trade Connolly for a young inexperienced defender with potential.

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
For sure. We just had the space, and I had shipped Connolly, Killer, and Purcell to Nucks to get Bieksa and Kesler. Figured we might need another top 6er, and Vrbata was one of the better FAs that I saw.

After thinking about it, maybe we sign Boyle on the cheap to fill in on the D, and still get a top 4. That seems to make sense with Steve's plan.

It would catch us in a few years if we ship out both Killorn and Connolly for a more expensive forward and because we need another one just sign a guy like Vrabata, who is not better than Killorn for much more money.

I also hope we don't go for Boyle. I know he was here before and everything, but I trust SJ fans if they say he is slow and slopy now. And thats the very last thing we need.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
My phone is bad and won't let me get the text roster, so here it is.

Johnson-Stamkos-Jagr
Palat-Filppula-Callahan
Kucherov-Drouin-Brown
Paquette-Thompson-Panik
Biznasty

Hedman-Bieksa
Carle-Gudas
Brewer-Sustr
Barbs

Bishop
Gudlevskis

Jagr might as well make sunny Tampa his last stop, right?

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
It would catch us in a few years if we ship out both Killorn and Connolly for a more expensive forward and because we need another one just sign a guy like Vrabata, who is not better than Killorn for much more money.

I also hope we don't go for Boyle. I know he was here before and everything, but I trust SJ fans if they say he is slow and slopy now. And thats the very last thing we need.

Again, that roster setup was mostly for fun, to see what I could do with the cap. I don't really think we're going to go out and grab Vrbata, Kesler, Boyle, and Bieksa in one season.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Surrounding our young, talented players with some toughness and character would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan
Palat-Filppula-Johnson
Killorn-Namestnikov-Kucherov
Brown-Thompson-Panik
Crombeen/Paquette

Hedman-Larsson
Gudas-Carle
Sustr-Brewer
Barberio

Bishop
Gudlevskies.

I always had a gut feeling Larsson becomes a Bolt, so I wen't with it. Other than that, that was the only shot in the dark move really.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Okay, this isn't very realistic and I'm not sure if the value is right but

Moulson - Stamkos - Hornqvist
Palat - Filppula - Callahan
Drouin - Johnson - Kucherov
Brown - Thompson - Crombeen
Pyatt, Paquette

Hedman - Josi
Carle - Orpik
Brewer - Gudas
Barberio, Sustr

Bishop
Montoya/Guds

My thoughts:
Sign Moulson. Get a top line winger for Stamkos.
Buyout Malone

Trade with Nashville. Value may be way off, but I did this quick.
In the deal I sent Killorn, Connolly, Panik, and Purcell, plus all the picks it would take. (If I have to value wise, put in Kucherov instead of Panik)
For..Josi and Hornqvist

Sign Orpik, get a good second pairing guy
We also need a backup, I want Montoya or Peters but we will see if they are available.

Hope the NSH trade isn't too far out.

All this fits under the cap.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Moulson sucks. do not want

for NSH trade it would probably be TJ+Kuch for Josi alone and then you think how much you can keep adding. Purcell would be a dump (which also means you need to keep adding). I'd probably do Panik+Connolly for Hornqvist though but probably not enough either.

dont see need to add 2 top4 dmen.. actually think its more likely we add 0 of them than 2.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Moulson sucks. do not want

for NSH trade it would probably be TJ+Kuch for Josi alone and then you think how much you can keep adding. Purcell would be a dump (which also means you need to keep adding). I'd probably do Panik+Connolly for Hornqvist though but probably not enough either.

dont see need to add 2 top4 dmen.. actually think its more likely we add 0 of them than 2.

I have no interest in Moulson either. I also don't think we could afford to give up both TJ and Kuch, regardless of who's coming back for a D. Either/or, yeah, I think we can swallow that and add to it.

And I agree about Purcell. I think he has just about 0 value throughout the league right now. It would be a straight up salary dump, maybe to a team looking to get to the floor, or to a team just looking to take a flyer on a guy who has been pretty good in the past.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Can somebody explain me why everybody wants to bring expensive veteran wingers in? We had a top10 offense with Stamkos out half the season and we are also adding Drouin. We should not trade a single asset for a forward. At most we add a depth forward and in no way do we go after Moulson or anybody else. Palat is above him anyway on the depth chart and Drouin will be after next season. No way I pay big bucks at a 3rd line winger.

You guys just need to stay calm. Just because we got killed in the playoffs with such a team doesn't mean that we need to screw it up. Especially not the forwards.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Can somebody explain me why everybody wants to bring expensive veteran wingers in? We had a top10 offense with Stamkos out half the season and we are also adding Drouin. We should not trade a single asset for a forward. At most we add a depth forward and in no way do we go after Moulson or anybody else. Palat is above him anyway on the depth chart and Drouin will be after next season. No way I pay big bucks at a 3rd line winger.

You guys just need to stay calm. Just because we got killed in the playoffs with such a team doesn't mean that we need to screw it up. Especially not the forwards.

I agree, no need to give up any assets for top-6 forwards. Wouldn't be opposed to adding a veteran guy to sit on the 3rd/4th lines and kill penalties. I really think Dominic Moore fits this criteria.

If where giving up any assets it should be going towards some help defensively.

Good targets for us would be, Boyle, Larsson, Bieksa, Tanev, Hamhuis and Josi.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I agree as well, in terms of team-needs. However, if the opportunity arose to bring in a good fit, I don't think we should just shrug it off in order to stand pat.

That said, if Ryan Callahan leaves, I do think we should be in the market for a physical top-six player. I liked our team a lot more with him than without him, and the only guy we have on the way who resembles his style is Adam Erne, but IMO Erne is at least two years away.

If Callahan stays, I'm fine with adding Drouin and Connolly (if he's not dealt for D) and letting them sink or swim. My forward group would look something like:

Stamkos - Filppula - Callahan (Stammer on LW to avoid the toe-dragging ;) )
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Drouin - Connolly/Panik
Brown - Thompson - Crombeen/Panik

Paquette (stays in the NHL if he earns it, probably splits time)

Gone: Purcell, Malone, Pyatt

Pretty sure Yzerman will deal Pyatt to a team where he'll be a regular. With Malone, you just can't have a 4.5 million healthy scratch. We're all hoping Purcell moves on.

Also, all indications point to Drouin being a full-time center. We know Yzerman wanted it, and Drouin's had a full year of it in the Q, a move Halifax made partly to help TBL's plans. I doubt they're going to bring him up now and move him back to the wing after all that.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
palat stamkos connolly
ott filppula callahan
drouin johnson kucherov
paquette thompson brown
anglidis panik (namestnikov kunyk) both will get some games during season

Hedman Stone
Carle Gudas
Despres Brewer would like despres on carles line but the slowness of gudas brewer scares me to death.
Gelinas (sustr is first call up koekkoek) will get some games during season

Bishop
Montoya

Stone plus a pick for purcell
Despres for killorn
Gelinas for a pick plus peca type of player
montoya ufa. 1.5 million
ott ufa 3 million

I want us with more balance and toughness and grit and since we like our forward core cannot see changing too much there so thought a guy like ott leadership hard nosed is a good pick up also need to get the blue line tougher and meaner. I think this is a good mixture of guys with gelinas becoming a power play specialist for us. His d needs work but he is physical so think we can work things out for him over time.

I like to bring on goalies super slow. I like to bring on D guys very slow. Forwards give some taste when can depending on style. If can hold own physical on lower lines will get a shot sooner rather than later.

Malone bought out purcell and killorn traded
barberio aulie out for picks. Crombeen pick or bury. pyatt let go

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
Drouin - Stamkos - Filppula
Palat - Johnson - Callahan
Kucherov - Legwand - Killorn
Paquette - Thompson - Pyatt
Connolly