Your Post-Playoffs OHL Power Rankings

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
With the playoffs now in the books, I'm curious as to how everyone's final rankings of the teams would look. Obviously Erie will be everyone's #1, but do you like London or Owen Sound? SSM or Windsor? Missy over any of the big western teams?

Here's my ranking:

1. Erie
2. London
3. Owen Sound
4. Windsor
5. Sault Ste. Marie
6. Mississauga
7. Kitchener
8. Peterborough
9. Oshawa
10. Flint
11. Sarnia
12. Hamilton
13. Kingston
14. Ottawa
15. Saginaw
16. Sudbury
17. North Bay
18. Niagara
19. Guelph
20. Barrie

I think London and Owen Sound are extremely close. Their records were essentially identical, with London playing the somewhat tougher schedule. London has more talent but underperformed; Owen Sound has less talent but arguably overperformed. I imagine we'd all take Parsons over McNiven at this point, but OS gets the edge in top six performance (if not talent). London is deeper and a little better on D. Ultimately I'd be hesitant to pick against Parsons, but it's basically a toss-up for me.

Windsor-SSM is another tough one. SSM won the division handily but played a much easier schedule. They split the season series. Both teams lost close series to great teams in the playoffs. Western division fans might have a better read on this one. I picked Windsor, but like the above, I could go either way.

For the rest of my list, Missy was an easy #6 pick after they dominated the East playoffs. Beyond that, I docked the east teams quite heavily for their patsy schedules. Kitchener over Peterborough and Oshawa is obviously gutsy, but Kitchener played the league's second-hardest schedule and dominated the East in its inter-conference match-ups. I did not have the courage to elevate Guelph and their obscenely tough schedule out of the #19 slot, however.

What do everyone else's rankings look like?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
1. Erie
2. Owen Sound
3. London
4. Sault Ste. Marie
5. Windsor
6. Mississauga
7. Peterborough
8. Kitchener
9. Oshawa
10. Flint
11. Kingston
12. Sarnia
13. Hamilton
14. Saginaw
15. Sudbury
16. Ottawa
17. Guelph
18. Niagara
19. North Bay
20. Barrie

Owen Sound has the slight edge over London for me. I think they were the better overall team and London relied too heavily on a heroic performance from Parsons. Kitchener vs Peterborough is a tough argument. Kitchener did play well against the East but I give a slight edge to the Petes because they bought at the trade deadline and I think would win a series. Guelph is absolutely better than Niagara and North Bay, I considered placing them even higher. They would have made the playoffs in the East.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
1. Erie
2. Own Sound
3. Sault Ste. Marie
4. London
5. Mississauga
6. Peterborough
7. Windsor
8. Kingston
9. Hamilton
10. Oshawa
11. Kitchener
12. Flint
13. Sudbury
14. Ottawa
15. Sarnia
16. Saginaw
17. Niagara
18. Guelph
19. North Bay
20. Barrie

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With the playoffs now in the books, I'm curious as to how everyone's final rankings of the teams would look. Obviously Erie will be everyone's #1, but do you like London or Owen Sound? SSM or Windsor? Missy over any of the big western teams?

Here's my ranking:

1. Erie
2. London
3. Owen Sound
4. Windsor
5. Sault Ste. Marie
6. Mississauga
7. Kitchener
8. Peterborough
9. Oshawa
10. Flint
11. Sarnia
12. Hamilton
13. Kingston
14. Ottawa
15. Saginaw
16. Sudbury
17. North Bay
18. Niagara
19. Guelph
20. Barrie

I think London and Owen Sound are extremely close. Their records were essentially identical, with London playing the somewhat tougher schedule. London has more talent but underperformed; Owen Sound has less talent but arguably overperformed. I imagine we'd all take Parsons over McNiven at this point, but OS gets the edge in top six performance (if not talent). London is deeper and a little better on D. Ultimately I'd be hesitant to pick against Parsons, but it's basically a toss-up for me.

Windsor-SSM is another tough one. SSM won the division handily but played a much easier schedule. They split the season series. Both teams lost close series to great teams in the playoffs. Western division fans might have a better read on this one. I picked Windsor, but like the above, I could go either way.

For the rest of my list, Missy was an easy #6 pick after they dominated the East playoffs. Beyond that, I docked the east teams quite heavily for their patsy schedules. Kitchener over Peterborough and Oshawa is obviously gutsy, but Kitchener played the league's second-hardest schedule and dominated the East in its inter-conference match-ups. I did not have the courage to elevate Guelph and their obscenely tough schedule out of the #19 slot, however.

1.Erie
2.Owen Sound
3.Mississauga
4.Soo
5.London
6.Peterborough
7.Windsor
8.Kitchener
9.Hamilton
10.Oshawa
11.Flint
12.Kingston
13.Sudbury
14.Niagara
15.Ottawa
16.Sarnia
17.Guelph
18.Saginaw
19.Barrie
20.North Bay

1-7 Fairly self-explanatory Erie at number #1 no arguments there #2 Owen Sound overachieved in my books this season and in the playoffs
#3 Mississauga kind of came out of nowhere for me didn't really think the Steelheads had a great start to their year but once they made a few deals they really turned it on in the second half #4 Soo Greyhounds hard not to put them in the top 5 probably one of the league dark-horse teams all year #5 London just because its London #6 Peterborough really over achieved in eastern conference this season #7 Windsor Spits I put as #7 just because I don't really think they were a top #5 in the league although as Mem. Cup hosts this year hard to put them any lower in my seeding, #8 Kitchener the Rangers had a fairly good year and threw everything they had in round one against OS but I don't think the Rangers had enough depth this year especially after the Bracco deal to the Spits i think hurt them. #9 Hamilton had a strong 2nd year in the league I think any lower and it shameful due to the fact their future is bright. Oshawa at #10 I think the Generals had good year in the east especially trying to catch Peterborough for #1 Generals really tried to keep pace. Flint this year at #11 I'll be honest after last season's ???'s I think they have a bright future with stability now in their management. Kingston at #12 I can honestly say I didn't follow them enough to rate them any higher or lower in my final standings and very much the same with Sudbury and Niagara that's more why I ranked them #13-14. Ottawa at #15 really a head scratchier this year i would've liked to rank them higher but unfortunately with their GM/HC stepping down hard to say what direction they'll take next season. Sarnia at #16 I think they gambled hoping the Konency would return to the Sting from the Flyers and came up short when he didn't come back to the Sting. Guelph has a bright future unfortunately lack of experience was a struggle for them this year that's why I'd have to rank them at #17 on my top 20 list same thoughts really for the Spirit, Colts Battalion at #18,19 and 20.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
amazing that people in hindsight say OS over performed but all year long leading up to the conference finals they were the hottest team in CHL, hence some having them as the favorites vs erie. i had gone back and looked at their schedule, they played 9 , what we all classified as the top tier teams, since the trade deadline. but were fortunate enough to play 3 of 4 vs london with parsons out of lineup. then face erie when they were without cirelli, maksmovich, fellows and at the end of a 3 in 3 weekend.
their youth and depth ultimately were going to be big hurdles. and again parsons >>mcniven. all came true. though erie dominated in game against london more, i always felt every game was close with parsons in net and londons depth. even when erie was down 2-1 vs OS, i was oddly very confident. erie generated major odd man rushes vs OS. London barely allowed more than maybe 6 or 7 in the ENTIRE series. their game plan was better. their goalie was better. and obviously their experience was better.

1. Erie
2. London
3. Owen Sound
4. Missy
5. SSM
6. Windsor
7. Petes
8. Kitchener
9. Flint
10. Sarnia
11. Oshawa
12. Hamilton
13. Kingston
14. Saginaw
15. Ottawa
16. Guelph
17. Sudbury
18. Niagara
19. North Bay
20. Barrie

ranking is always difficult especially because the east is just blah. no doubts that the petes and missy would have been gone by round 2 if they had to face a combination of erie/lon/os/windsor/SSM. missy surprised me a bit in the finals and i know the scores were close. but mancina was a huge reason the scores were close in game 1,2. really missy couldnt generate consistent pressure. most of their goals occured on odd man rushes (bad pinch ins by erie) or poor goaltending.
and i feel that flint, sarnia, kitchener could have done the same as oshawa in the poor east. oshawa got too much love all year. they just simply played bad teams in the east.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Here's my ranking:

1. Erie
2. London
3. Owen Sound
4. Windsor
5. Sault Ste. Marie
6. Mississauga
7. Kitchener
8. Peterborough
9. Oshawa
10. Flint
11. Sarnia
12. Hamilton
13. Kingston
14. Ottawa
15. Saginaw
16. Sudbury
17. North Bay
18. Niagara
19. Guelph
20. Barrie

For me, Owen Sound was a far, far better team than London. I saw both teams several times against my own team and there was no comparison. Owen Sound had better goaltending, better defense, and better forwards. That team seemed unbeatable until they ran into Erie.

I think you'll also find that Western Conference fans considered SSM a better team than Windsor. They just seemed like a more complete team and played with more cohesiveness. The 'much easier' schedule wasn't exactly a factor, if it exists at all (I don't know). Sudbury played at an elite level against them all season.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
For me, Owen Sound was a far, far better team than London. I saw both teams several times against my own team and there was no comparison. Owen Sound had better goaltending, better defense, and better forwards. That team seemed unbeatable until they ran into Erie.

I think you'll also find that Western Conference fans considered SSM a better team than Windsor. They just seemed like a more complete team and played with more cohesiveness. The 'much easier' schedule wasn't exactly a factor, if it exists at all (I don't know). Sudbury played at an elite level against them all season.

Looks like you didn't watch the Erie-London series...at all.

1. Erie
2. London
3. OS
4. SSM
5. Windsor
6. Missy
7. Peterborough
8. Kitchener

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am going to be a little more controversial with my power rankings. These are based moreso on the 2nd half performance with a weighting based on whether the team lived up to the expectations they created for themselves moving into the playoffs.

1> Erie (Clearly #1 as Champs)
2> Owen Sound
3> Mississauga
4> London
5> Sault
6> Windsor
7> Peterborough
8> Kitchener
9> Flint
10> Sarnia
11> Hamilton
12> Kingston
13> Ottawa
14> Oshawa
15> Sudbury
16> Saginaw
17> Niagara
18> North Bay
19> Guelph
20> Barrie

I say the gap between #2 and #5 is marginal and up for debate. Sure, London took Erie as far as they could go in that series BUT they sort of limped into the playoffs dropping to 4th. As well, they needed 7 games to take out Windsor so does that mean by extension Windsor should be 3rd? I don't think so. These rankings need to be more than just a playoff series. Mississauga was a beast in the 2nd half and rolled through the East. They gave Erie a tough series even if it wasn't very long. They deserve their standing. The rest of the playoff teams in the west mix in with the Petes to round out the top 10. The reality is the Western teams were simply better than the East witht he exception of Missy and Peterborough.

The East rankings I flipped a little. Oshawa built a nice lead int he first half and then sold off players and dropped. They weren't a good team the last quarter. Ottawa would have beaten them in the first round and most Gens fans would even admit that. Ottawa gets the nod ahead of Oshawa with Hamilton and Kingston a slight nudge above. Again, that four team mix doesn't really have much separating them.

The rest would seem to be self explanatory.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016

SSM definitely had a markedly easier schedule than Windsor: four games against Sudbury and two against North Bay versus two against Erie, two against OS, and two against London. They basically traded six games against the league's three best teams for six against two of its worst. Give SSM Windsor's schedule and you can probably take five or six points from their record. But SSM deserves some credit for their brutal travel schedule too, among other things. I think the teams are awfully close.

I posted all of the Strength of Schedule data here, if you're interested.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

comparing parsons to mcniven is getting old
parsons the higher draft pick, parsons the much better resume, parsons making wjc for US while mcniven couldnt even make team let alone be the starter for a canadian team that had their biggest weakness in net

mcniven is a great goalie. no doubts. i actually think dipietro is slightly better but mcniven is up there in the top 3.
parsons by a mile though. the saves he made when he made them. stunned erie with a shutout in game 1. then in game 4 when london NEEDED a win, he stopped 26/28. game 6 became another MUST win and parsons stole the show again and went 44/45. simply put he kept london alive. game 7 - 58/63.

he was ridiculous. same thing last year, same thing in the WJC, same thing vs windsor in round 1 showing that it cleealry wasnt a fluke, he is just that good. meanwhile mcniven looked human in most all games. he had his moments but when needed most in game 6, he looked his worst. he is a great goalie but can honestly say that regardless of everrything else, i feared london more because of parsons. was confident vs OS because i didnt fear mcniven much, knew erie would pull through eventually, it was just a question of could our D/goalie stop OS offense and once they slowed them and stopped their rush game ( in game 4,5,6 )- it was all erie.

i personally think london would have found a way vs the younger OS squad. (if they would have still had gas if they got past erie). like i said, when erie played LDN in reg season post deadline - they dominated. when OS played LDN post deadline - they didnt dominate each and every game./period like erie. instead they were bailed out by playing Johnson or Kooy in 3 of 4 games. when they actually played Parsons? they lost 4-0.
london's offense stalled but i think their coaching,systems, defense would have stopped OS odd man rush dependent offense. and parsons would have outdueled mcniven

come to think of it,
i think that is why erie won the league this year even though their goalending was shaky. they were the only team that had the high end talent to win a rush game but also cycled and played puck possession better than lon,os,missy. if their rush game or pp stalled (which at many times it did) they could still cycle their way for offense/goals. i found out that lon, missy,os reaally couldnt. thoughts?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
comparing parsons to mcniven is getting old
parsons the higher draft pick, parsons the much better resume, parsons making wjc for US while mcniven couldnt even make team let alone be the starter for a canadian team that had their biggest weakness in net

mcniven is a great goalie. no doubts. i actually think dipietro is slightly better but mcniven is up there in the top 3.
parsons by a mile though. the saves he made when he made them. stunned erie with a shutout in game 1. then in game 4 when london NEEDED a win, he stopped 26/28. game 6 became another MUST win and parsons stole the show again and went 44/45. simply put he kept london alive. game 7 - 58/63.

he was ridiculous. same thing last year, same thing in the WJC, same thing vs windsor in round 1 showing that it cleealry wasnt a fluke, he is just that good. meanwhile mcniven looked human in most all games. he had his moments but when needed most in game 6, he looked his worst. he is a great goalie but can honestly say that regardless of everrything else, i feared london more because of parsons. was confident vs OS because i didnt fear mcniven much, knew erie would pull through eventually, it was just a question of could our D/goalie stop OS offense and once they slowed them and stopped their rush game ( in game 4,5,6 )- it was all erie.

i personally think london would have found a way vs the younger OS squad. (if they would have still had gas if they got past erie). like i said, when erie played LDN in reg season post deadline - they dominated. when OS played LDN post deadline - they didnt dominate each and every game./period like erie. instead they were bailed out by playing Johnson or Kooy in 3 of 4 games. when they actually played Parsons? they lost 4-0.
london's offense stalled but i think their coaching,systems, defense would have stopped OS odd man rush dependent offense. and parsons would have outdueled mcniven

come to think of it,
i think that is why erie won the league this year even though their goalending was shaky. they were the only team that had the high end talent to win a rush game but also cycled and played puck possession better than lon,os,missy. if their rush game or pp stalled (which at many times it did) they could still cycle their way for offense/goals. i found out that lon, missy,os reaally couldnt. thoughts?

I gained a lot of respect for McNiven after watching him play a ton this year. He's an incredible talent and the fact that he's been a better goalie is no insult to Parsons.

I don't think London would have had a chance against OS. I think they would have been swept. Raaymakers was, at worst, as good as Parsons against Erie and the Hounds still lost. This is a team absolutely spanked London all year long and had Drew Bannister, a former Attack coach. He knew that team as well as anyone. The team was just too good and McNiven was spectacular.

Your theory regarding Erie is an interesting one. It certainly made them more consistent when it comes to scoring. Sault Ste. Marie was another team that cycles the puck as well as Erie and it also helped them when the PP was having a hard time. Only the aforementioned play of McNiven cost them a meeting with Erie.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I gained a lot of respect for McNiven after watching him play a ton this year. He's an incredible talent and the fact that he's been a better goalie is no insult to Parsons.

I don't think London would have had a chance against OS. I think they would have been swept. Raaymakers was, at worst, as good as Parsons against Erie and the Hounds still lost. This is a team absolutely spanked London all year long and had Drew Bannister, a former Attack coach. He knew that team as well as anyone. The team was just too good and McNiven was spectacular.

Your theory regarding Erie is an interesting one. It certainly made them more consistent when it comes to scoring. Sault Ste. Marie was another team that cycles the puck as well as Erie and it also helped them when the PP was having a hard time. Only the aforementioned play of McNiven cost them a meeting with Erie.

So let me get this straight...

London takes Erie to Game 7 OT.
Erie takes OS out in 6.

But OS would have easily swept London.

Right.

London was very obviously a different team in the playoffs. It sounds from your post that your opinion is only based on how teams play against SSM...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
So let me get this straight...

London takes Erie to Game 7 OT.
Erie takes OS out in 6.

But OS would have easily swept London.

Right.

London was very obviously a different team in the playoffs. It sounds from your post that your opinion is only based on how teams play against SSM...

So let me get this straight. London beat Windsor in game 7 by one goal scored half way through the 3rd to break a tie game. That makes Windsor team #3 because London gave Erie the best challenge and Windsor gave London a great challenge.

London almost didn't make it out of the 1st round.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So let me get this straight. London beat Windsor in game 7 by one goal scored half way through the 3rd to break a tie game. That makes Windsor team #3 because London gave Erie the best challenge and Windsor gave London a great challenge.

the only debate i personally dont agree with is mcniven over parsons. the rest are opinions that can easily be different

parsons had better numbers, looked better, showed up bigger in bigger games, has the better resume, played erie better while also facing more shots, etc etc etc. mcniven is very good but parsons is one of the best chl goalies in recent memory. i dont put mcniven on that level. mcniven had an .870 Sv% vs erie in round 6. was statistically outplayed by timpano (.895 %) (and murdaca)
he didnt face as many shots as parsons and i thought from watching the series he didnt come up big consistently enough for OS. just from watching the 2 series, if mcniven played for london, i would bet erie beats london in 5 maybe 6. if parsons played for OS, OS beats erie in 6.

parsons played virtually perfect in rounds 1 and 2 for a junior goaltender. incredible stuff.
its not a knock on mcniven. in most years his abilities would be the best but parsons just insane goalie and the only reason he didnt win goalie of year was because he didnt end up playing enough games.

as for the windsor/london series. london fell behind 3-1. most teams dont have the ability to crawl out of that. something to be said of it and it speaks to their experience and coaching. os was down 3-2 and needed a game 6 win. instead they collapsed and lost 7-2 to erie on home ice....inexperience maybe?

meanwhile parsons was gold when he had to be. and though london was down 3-1..2 of those L's were OT. overall in the series they went 4-1-2. not bad. ultimately all playoffs long they went 7-4-3. just couldnt get some key OT goals.OS ended 10-7 with 4-1 vs kitchener...
though london gave up tons of shots vs erie it was clearly their game plan to keep things in front of parsons and make it a lower scoring series as best they could, hoping that parsons would be the difference and their offense could squeak in more goals. OS allowed too much open ice rush game for erie and it killed them in most games. london had a better gameplan and they would have thought up something similar vs an OS team that didnt quite match the high end 2 line talent and even depth of erie. i personally think london, if they had the gas would have beaten OS in 6 or 7. but saying OS in 6 or 7 is fair too. to think OS would have swept london is crazy talk though. parsons would have at least stolen 1 game, he did vs an erie team. london may not have been championship caliber this year but they werent roll over caliber. consider OS needed 6 for SSM and 5 for KIT...they would have needed 6 or 7 to get past lon....

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

You certainly didn't see Parsons at his best. Admittedly, he was not at his finest against the Soo. I grant you that. However, it seems to me that you've based your opinion of Parsons strictly on his sub-par performances against your Hounds, and I think that's incredibly shortsighted. For the most part, Parsons has been a rock between the pipes for London this season, and he saved his best for the Erie series. His performance against the Otters was one of the best goaltending clinics that I've seen in a playoff series, and a number of Erie fans here on HBs have already testified to his heroics.
I agree that OS would likely have beaten the Knights if the two teams met in the playoffs, and hence I would rate the Attack higher than the Knights.
You are usually an insightful poster, and my (unsolicited) advice to you would be to not let your hatred of the Knights (and some of their fans) cloud your judgement. You can continue to malign the Knights, get in your little digs, but I reserve the right to call out posters when their reasoning skills leave something to be desired. No personal attacks from me--ad hominems are meaningless.

Last edited:

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Man does it ever bother you Knights fans that everyone out there doesn't think like you do! It's funny to read the comparison's/argument's made against Erie, SSM, OS, Windsor... "We were 1 shot away", "if we would have scored 1 more goal", "Parsons is the best" , "we have more talent and depth" ... blah, blah, blah. Why do we never read about the $$$ spent to build your team, year after year? The $$$ spent to bring in the US players at 18-19 years of age? The $$$ spent to bring in elite European players that somehow only fall into the Knights lap. The $$$ spent to bring players in that are actually playing Pro Hockey. The Knight's are an elite CHL franchise, no question, but boy it would be nice to read from you fans (not all of coarse) some congratulations to the smaller market teams (with much smaller budgets) in the league that have had great seasons.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I guess that I really like seeing that all of the lists have Flint right around the middle of the pack, some as high as #9, but I can't help but think about the losses they're going to have of some guys that they leaned pretty heavily upon, on a team that wasn't terribly deep. I guess we'll see...I've got my fingers crossed. :yo:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

People that think you can judge teams based on a single playoff series usually aren't even worth responding to, but that's some nice sarcasm.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

All this indicates is that it's pretty unlikely that any of the big 5 teams in the West would have swept each other.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
1. Erie
2. Owen Sound
3. London
4. Mississauga
5. Windsor
6. Soo
7. Peterborough
8. Kitchener

I think there is a gap after the top 5. Although arguably Missy may be rated high - but they were very competitive every game vs Erie. Soo I believe would have been hard pressed to beat Peterborough and Kitchener. They overachieved all year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
All this indicates is that it's pretty unlikely that any of the big 5 teams in the West would have swept each other.

Damn straight. But, I think Missy deserves to be with those five. I think the #1 is clear and then the next five are up for discussion.

Parsons played the Soo 1 time this season and it was in the Soo and he stopped 41 of 44 for 2nd star. I think you need to revisit your perception of who is the better of the 2. Parsons' achievements speak for themselves when comparing him to McNiven. Both great Jr goaltenders, but a healthy (key point) Parsons rises to the top in almost every category. In fact I'd slot DiPietro closer to Parsons level than McNiven. Everyone has an opinion but I can't help but think your dislike of all things London may slant yours slightly

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad