Your pick for biggest 2006 draft bust and the team that picks him

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Mr Bugg said:
Jesse Joensuu. Philadelphia.

If the definition of bust is someone who isn't going to make the NHL, then Joensuu doesn't fit the bill. Guys who are that big and skate as well as he does and have pretty good hockey sense will always find jobs. At the very least Joensuu is a 25-point third-line player. Of course it depends on were he is drafted. Jesse is a reach in the top 10-15, a good pick in the 20-30 range and an absolute steal in the second round.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Frolik. I do not care if he was serving time in the Gulag. Thirteen points in two years? Nothing at the WJC's? That is taking one huge chance. If he can not score at this level what will he do at the NHL level? If something is upsetting him to keep him from scoring, even worse. As for who will pick him, I say Phoenix. They seem to like going out on a limb and going for the home run, for example Wheeler at five last draft.

Draft Years
Frolik - 48gp 2g 7a 9pts 32pim
Havlat - 24gp 2g 3a 5pts 4pim

I haven't seen Frolik play, but you can hardly base his future on his stats, I mean most of these guys don't get quality ice time until after they are drafted.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Spitfire11 said:
My guess is a lot of these guys are gonna bust. This draft will give '99 a run for its money.
I agree, I do not like this draft at all, I would normally think it would be a good one to trade down and try and pick up a lot of mid round picks in, but I am not that confident in its depth either.

Transported Upstater

kruezer said:
I agree, I do not like this draft at all, I would normally think it would be a good one to trade down and try and pick up a lot of mid round picks in, but I am not that confident in its depth either.

The Top 10 is OK, but outside of the Top 10 or so players, this is a draft worth trading down for.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
edd1e said:
Funny how Joensuu is a bust when no one is going to even pick him in first round.

He's definately fallen since his original hype. He was talked about being the #2 or #3 pick before the season started.

Than everyone realized the guy was a well below average skater with very mediocre hands.

I wouldn't mind picking him in the 3rd round, but I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on him unless the 2nd round pick was around 50 to 60.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Jon Prescription said:
He's definately fallen since his original hype. He was talked about being the #2 or #3 pick before the season started.

Than everyone realized the guy was a well below average skater with very mediocre hands.

I wouldn't mind picking him in the 3rd round, but I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on him unless the 2nd round pick was around 50 to 60.

I'm hoping Toronto aims for Joensuu in the 2nd round. (maybe trade back a few spots and take him). He's worth taking a chance on as a project type player. He could pay off huge. I guess it all depends on if they get "their" guy in the first round or not.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
GregStack said:
I'm hoping Toronto aims for Joensuu in the 2nd round. (maybe trade back a few spots and take him). He's worth taking a chance on as a project type player. He could pay off huge. I guess it all depends on if they get "their" guy in the first round or not.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind taking him in the 2nd round. Even if it happened to be early on, I wouldn't be TOO pissed off. I would never pick him in the 1st round, though.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Quiksilver said:
I'll throw out the same pick. He had 146 PIMS in the OHL this year and had 1 MAYBE 2 fighting majors. He is a pure selfish hockey player and I have no idea how he is considered 2nd round pick.
He has skill but his grit is overrated, he is really immature IMO, I can see why people like him though, his offensive talents and ability to play in traffic are quite good, I really wouldn't mind Calgary taking a chance on the guy, he just needs an attitude adjustment I think, which is likely why Calgary won't take him.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
For Toronto I want Okposo, Sheppard, or Tlusty. If it's possible to move up, I'd take Backstrom. Out of the top 10 that aren't named Johnson, I think he's the safest bet. Besides, Toronto loves them Swedes. I want Toronto to stay as far away from Frolik as possible, and for those talking about Jesse Joensuu... poor skating, poor hands, big body? What part of that doesn't sound like Antropov?

If you're going to take a risk, woud Alexander Vasynyov be available at the 43rd pick? I'm not quite sure what the mix of NA and Euro players are, and how many goaltenders will be selected in the early rounds. I know Vasynyov has a lot of red flags on him for his work ethic and heart, so maybe he'll drop some. Plus he's a Russian, and there's no transfer agreement yet that I know of. He's the kind of scorer the Leafs will need in their system.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Caesium said:
For Toronto I want Okposo, Sheppard, or Tlusty. If it's possible to move up, I'd take Backstrom. Out of the top 10 that aren't named Johnson, I think he's the safest bet. Besides, Toronto loves them Swedes. I want Toronto to stay as far away from Frolik as possible, and for those talking about Jesse Joensuu... poor skating, poor hands, big body? What part of that doesn't sound like Antropov?

If you're going to take a risk, woud Alexander Vasynyov be available at the 43rd pick? I'm not quite sure what the mix of NA and Euro players are, and how many goaltenders will be selected in the early rounds. I know Vasynyov has a lot of red flags on him for his work ethic and heart, so maybe he'll drop some. Plus he's a Russian, and there's no transfer agreement yet that I know of. He's the kind of scorer the Leafs will need in their system.

I have a feeling Vasynyov(sp?) will drop very far. Prospects like him usually don't have a high chance of reaching their max potential. He'll probably be available at the 43rd pick, unless some team has some unique info on him. He'd be a good pick for Toronto though, who in my opinion should shoot for the sky in this draft.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:

And you've probably seen him play exactly two times total, and those in the WJC were he played his worst hockey of the season. I've seen him 10-15 times this season alone and I can say his skating is not below average and his hands are a lot better than he showed in the WJC. It irritates me when people who haven't got a clue make assumptions like this. I myself don't comment on NA draft prospects because I don't see them play except for the WJC's , and I don't pretend to know something about a prospect based on seeing him once or twice..

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
TK79 said:
And you've probably seen him play exactly two times total, and those in the WJC were he played his worst hockey of the season. I've seen him 10-15 times this season alone and I can say his skating is not below average and his hands are a lot better than he showed in the WJC. It irritates me when people who haven't got a clue make assumptions like this. I myself don't comment on NA draft prospects because I don't see them play except for the WJC's , and I don't pretend to know something about a prospect based on seeing him once or twice..

I've seen him 8-10 times and I wouldn't be shocked if he never makes it to the NHL. I don't think he's considered a very good prospect by many people unless you go back two years.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
El_Scoobo said:
In the long term--Frolik is either going to be considered a steal for the position he gets picked or he's going to have zero impact and be a bust. I don't think there's an "in between" for a player of his style.

Agree completley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->