Your Penguins-themed inside jokes

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
So, for years, the phrase "That's very interesting, Hal Gill" has been a punchline of sorts between me and my wife, thanks to one of those in-game videos of a "junior reporter" interviewing a Pens player. In this case, it was a middle-school-aged girl interviewing, duh, Hal Gill, and she obviously was trained beforehand to note his responses with "That's very interesting, Hal Gill" and then move on to the next question. But how she delivered the line — as if she had found his detailed response to be anything but interesting — was priceless.

I found it hilarious, and I figured anyone else who saw that video would have similarly paid homage to it over the years, but I was mildly surprised to see the phrase not return any hits on google. Which leads me to wonder which Pens-related inside jokes you have that the world at large doesn't share in.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
So, for years, the phrase "That's very interesting, Hal Gill" has been a punchline of sorts between me and my wife, thanks to one of those in-game videos of a "junior reporter" interviewing a Pens player. In this case, it was a middle-school-aged girl interviewing, duh, Hal Gill, and she obviously was trained beforehand to note his responses with "That's very interesting, Hal Gill" and then move on to the next question. But how she delivered the line — as if she had found his detailed response to be anything but interesting — was priceless.

I found it hilarious, and I figured anyone else who saw that video would have similarly paid homage to it over the years, but I was mildly surprised to see the phrase not return any hits on google. Which leads me to wonder which Pens-related inside jokes you have that the world at large doesn't share in.

Players that would now be called "Try Hards" were Bob Erreys. Even in soccer. "Dude, did you see that nutmeg on Bob Errey?" We live in Orange County, CA, so nobody had any idea who Bob Errey was.

We also used "Bob Errey" as a unit of measure. For example, Kevin Stevens would be like 3 Bob Erreys and Troy Loney would be 1 Bob Errey.

Keep in mind, this was when Bob Errey was a player, not a broadcaster.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Mine is a Bob Errey one as well, but with him as a broadcaster when he worked with Paul Steigerwald. Any time there is something exciting going on, we end the statement or phrase with “Steigy”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad