Your Penguins MVP at the quarter mark?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Easy...

bylsma1_330.jpg

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

I think we just expect that from both Sid and Geno so it's simply not surprising. Fleury going into the season we had no idea what to expect from him and most of us didn't want him here no more and wanted Vokoun as the starter prior to the start of training camp. He has played solid since the start and deserves the praise, now he needs to keep it up and carry this into the playoffs

This. Crosby is still our MVP so far. Fleury is not far behind though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Absolutely.

Fleury's turnaround hasn't even really begun, yet. But it's a promising start. And I have a hard time believing that having a real coach working with him isn't a huge part of the equation. Yet another one of those painfully obvious things that took far too long for the team to address.

The Penguins motto: Keep getting to your game until you forgot what your game was and then make a change. Or something.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
It's Fleury by a mile. He also has the best "Wins above replacement" if you want to look at a baseball metric, partially because his replacement is awful, and partially because he's been that good. And moreso, a stabilizing, calm good.

2nd on my list is Martin, he's the cornerstone of entire defense, when he goes down it's a domino effect throughout the lineup, as others have mentioned.

Sid is next in line, but if he went down, Malkin would get Kunitz, and would certainly begin playing a lot better, as we had signs of last night. So the dropoff from Sid isn't that great considering his replacement.

I am not one to subscribe to this board's propensity to hate on our wingers, but the reality is that we have two top line centers, and only two top line wingers, James Neal is a legit top line sniper, and Kunitz is a legit 3rd wheel. Dupuis, Jokinen, and BB are not really adequate even on 2nd lines at this point. So Sid suffers disproportionately, as he has no legitimate sniper to play with.

The fact that Geno shines when Crosby goes down is no coincidence or testament to Geno's superhuman abilities when Crosby isn't nearby. It's because he gets all the good wingers then. And even facing top D pairings, he will be dominant with good supporting players.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
It's Fleury by a mile. He also has the best "Wins above replacement" if you want to look at a baseball metric, partially because his replacement is awful, and partially because he's been that good. And moreso, a stabilizing, calm good.

2nd on my list is Martin, he's the cornerstone of entire defense, when he goes down it's a domino effect throughout the lineup, as others have mentioned.

Sid is next in line, but if he went down, Malkin would get Kunitz, and would certainly begin playing a lot better, as we had signs of last night. So the dropoff from Sid isn't that great considering his replacement.

I am not one to subscribe to this board's propensity to hate on our wingers, but the reality is that we have two top line centers, and only two top line wingers, James Neal is a legit top line sniper, and Kunitz is a legit 3rd wheel. Dupuis, Jokinen, and BB are not really adequate even on 2nd lines at this point. So Sid suffers disproportionately, as he has no legitimate sniper to play with.

The fact that Geno shines when Crosby goes down is no coincidence or testament to Geno's superhuman abilities when Crosby isn't nearby. It's because he gets all the good wingers then. And even facing top D pairings, he will be dominant with good supporting players.

This is the most accurate description of the Pens forward situation I've ever read.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Isn't he still leading the league in points and on pace for 100+ this season?
Doesn't mean it's not projecting to be on par with his worst statistical season right now. His points pace this year is the same as his rookie year.

Crosby was one of the main reasons that the Pens were winning games earlier in the year, but right now it's gotta be Fleury. He just needs to get over that mental hump in the playoffs. Fluery's game right now has been excellent (as it has been for most of the regular seasons in his career). He's such a good goaltender to watch, too. I don't think there's anyone who makes more entertaining or athletic saves.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Fleury.

You can say whomever is second and so on, but all of those others have actually played bad more than Fleury has this season, and the backup doesn't/hasn't even enter(ed) the equation yet.

Distance>>>>>>>rest.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
unfortunately Flower. not even close. and that is not good

I agree it's MAF, I disagree it's not good. Could be the alternative. He continues his downward spiral from last playoffs and is posting a low .800 SAVE PCT

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
For me it's a battle between MAF and Neal, although not entirely fair one.

Neal has been playing lights out every game and his laser snipe is simply deadly. He's also been significantly better him southward, comparing to last seasons. He is the major reason we get even the goals scored we do at this point; and note, this doesn't mean I'll take anything away from Crosby or Malkin. Crosby has been mostly phenomenal, but he's a victim of his wingmen and whereas Malkin has been more or less in beast mode effort-wise, it's been only after a very sloppy start. And he should have 15 goals for his efforts by now, yet he doesn't.

However, MAF will collect the crown at this point. No brutal meltdowns whatsoever and 99,9% of the time very solid playing with confidence. If MAF continues to play like this, he will be the reason Pens will win Metro and have a good shot at the East top spot as well, no matter what kind of offense we have to display in addition to a healthy Neal.

So, MAF it is for me, against all pre-season odds. Glad to see him back.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've noticed Neal passing the puck more and looking for players more this year, maybe I just never paid attention to him in that regard, but it seems like his playmaker side is coming out this year while still sniping like he normally does. I mean damn, he's played not even a dozen games and he's already 4th on the team in goals, haha.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Fully agree on most of this but I like JJ. The guy is always open, ok defensively, a good passer and takes quality shots. IMO he's not like Sykora but more like an older Ziggy that we saw during Sids rookie year.

I would like to see him with Sid. Kunitz might be a third wheel but he's a great third wheel so having a good, not great, second wheel might work. Plus Sid and Kunitz' active play might offset Jokiniens slower skating. At the very least JJ adds some poise and a great shot to that line. Its mid NOV... at least try it.

The best thing about the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line was that everyone fit their role as 1-2-3 and no one had to play above third heads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad