Your opinions on Eric Staal

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
EDIT:

Sorry, wrong thread. Came over from a Leafs thread about a rumor and accidentaly chose the wrong threat when I was answering.

Good evening to you all, Canes fans.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Were you around for the Primeau years? Holy **** there's still a lot of vitriol from a lot of people... myself included in that one.

Staal's seeming lackadaisical attitude and play almost completely mirrors Primeau's when he was here. In fact Primeau was even more notorious for that with the seemingly annual "is this going to be the year for him?" and the holdout made him absolutely 100% reviled among what small Canes fanbase there was at the time.

Of course the difference between then and now is that we had a great mix of veteran players (Francis, Roberts, Kron, Kovalenko, Gelinas, Daniels) and some very solid young players making their way in the league (O'Neill, Kapanen, Battaglia).

No I wasn't, but I definitely have heard that.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
As a Canes fan I love Staal, but I can see a lot of the issues many people complain about, which is why he has only made the playoffs twice (of course hes not the only reason, but its one of those things where we need 1 or 2 more wins and the captain should be there). But then again, the playoff track record once he's in is good, but that's because he turns it on.

I think even if we wanted to ditch him at this point it would be pointless. He still has a monster contract and he's getting older. I want him to remain as a Cane until he retires and I feel that we have a few playoff runs left with him as captain.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't necessarily want him gone, but I don't want him as captain anymore either. Said that last offseason, for the record. Some will point to his defense, faceoffs, inconsistency as faults; I just see him as a guy who is too weak-willed to sack it up when the chips are down.

Of course at this point, taking away his captaincy and keeping him on the team probably cannot happen. And who knows what would happen with Jordan if Eric were to leave; ironically I think Jordan would be the perfect guy to take over the C.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Nashville fan coming in peace!

I apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong place to put this comment, or other fans have asked this question but what would it take for Eric Staal to be a Predator?

Looking at the current value players are getting in trades (ex. Kesler) I was thinking it'd take Young Roster player + Prospect + Pick, so I was thinking:

Wilson + Ekholm/MDZ + 2015 Conditional 2nd + 46th pick for Eric Staal + prospect

*Conditional pick becomes 1st if Preds make the playoffs/Staal reaches 65 points

I know Staal is a huge component for your team and city, but I was also gauging Value based on his play and his contract, which to be honest, is crazy. 8.25 per is a lot considering we are paying 7+ for Pekka and Shea.

I think this trade can give you a bunch of really good pieces to build a very solid depth team, as well as receiving Wilson who could be a 50+ point player

What do you guys think? Any where close?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Nashville fan coming in peace!

I apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong place to put this comment, or other fans have asked this question but what would it take for Eric Staal to be a Predator?

Looking at the current value players are getting in trades (ex. Kesler) I was thinking it'd take Young Roster player + Prospect + Pick, so I was thinking:

Wilson + Ekholm/MDZ + 2015 Conditional 2nd + 46th pick for Eric Staal + prospect

*Conditional pick becomes 1st if Preds make the playoffs/Staal reaches 65 points

I know Staal is a huge component for your team and city, but I was also gauging Value based on his play and his contract, which to be honest, is crazy. 8.25 per is a lot considering we are paying 7+ for Pekka and Shea.

I think this trade can give you a bunch of really good pieces to build a very solid depth team, as well as receiving Wilson who could be a 50+ point player

What do you guys think? Any where close?

Imho, not close at all. You want Staal, you're going to have to part with one of Josi or Jones then add, no getting around that.

Carolina is under no mandate to trade him, so he's going to command more than Kesler.That hodgepodge offer of spare parts just doesn't cut it from a CAR point of view. Think Jones/Josi plus Forsberg and another decent pick or prospect to even start the discussion.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
pass. Shy of swapping out the Ekholm/MDZ + conditional pick part for Jones in the deal I'm just flat out not interested. He had a rough season last year but the year before he was literally the 2nd best even strength player in the league behind Crosby. Gotta give to get.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Something else significant would need to come back to Josi or Jones. Staal only had 61 points last year, we just got Neal who had the same amount of points for Hornqvist and Spaling. Also, Ekholm is going to be a very good #3 defensmen on any team for a long time, if it wasn't for Weber Jones and Josi he would be a very hot player right now. I understand why you guys want Josi or Jones, but in this market you wont get that type of return, without it being a bigger package on your end

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Something else significant would need to come back to Josi or Jones. Staal only had 61 points last year, we just got Neal who had the same amount of points for Hornqvist and Spaling. Also, Ekholm is going to be a very good #3 defensmen on any team for a long time, if it wasn't for Weber Jones and Josi he would be a very hot player right now. I understand why you guys want Josi or Jones, but in this market you wont get that type of return, without it being a bigger package on your end

Without Jones or Josi, where the hell is the incentive to trade our #1C and franchise player?

He had 61pts on a bum knee last year. There's no reason to think he won't continue on his normal 70+pt pace next year, completely healthy and under a decent motivator in Peters.

If he's traded at all, I expect it to be at the deadline this coming year if the Canes suck yet again.

You also just got Neal because JR was trying to shed salary, thus not dealing from a point of strength. Same deal with Kesler; he controlled where he wanted to play. VAN had to take the best offer. E Staal has not demanded a trade and has publicly stated he wants to stay a Cane. No need to trade him unless value is coming back.

Last edited:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Then we'll keep Staal. Simple as that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Says who? Kesler demanded a trade, wanted to go to Anaheim, and has 49, 13 and 43 points his past 3 seasons. He got a #1 pick (#24), Bonino (a young 50 point center), and Sbisa. That's what Anaheim gave up for a guy that has struggled the last 3 seasons, who has never been a 1C (been behind Sedin) and will be a 2C on their team.

Staal's last 3 season: 70points, 53 points (in 48 games), 61 points (after knee injury). Staal hasn't asked for a trade so the Canes don't have a mandate to trade him, in fact, with Jordan also on the team, there is a disincentive. Staal is a true 1C and has been for multiple years now. Staal is the captain and the franchise player on the team and can be counted on for 82 games most every season.

So you say that in this market, we can't expect that type of return, I disagree based on what Kesler just went for and conditions surrounding his move. It should be at LEAST a Bonino equivalent (Forsberg or Wilson) and a much better package than the #24 pick and Sbisa. To me that's someone like Josi or Jones or something else better than you are offering up. You are basically offering a 3C a 4/5 D and a couple of 2nds (1 being conditional). I'm hoping that's not the deal Francis accepts if he tries to trade Staal.

If that's too rich for your blood, then fine, there's no incentive to make that deal with Nashville.

EDIT: I should also state that according to our beat writer, Francis does not expect to make any big moves so I would be very surprised if E. Staal is moved. Another reason why a team trading for him would have to offer up a deal that the Canes couldn't say no to since Francis (by all accounts) isn't looking to trade him.

Last edited:

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
Eric Staal is 100% in play. Carolina to keep some salary
Hearing Staal is definitely in play and Winnipeg is very high on him. As are the. Dallas Stars.

Source: Eklund

Not saying there is or there isn't anything to this, but there sure has been a lot of chatter about Eric this week for his name to not be out there in discussions.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

Staal led the entire NHL in even strength points in 2012-2013. But yeah, totally comparable to James "utter **** without Malkin" Neal.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not saying there is or there isn't anything to this, but there sure has been a lot of chatter about Eric this week for his name to not be out there in discussions.

I know he's considered to be one at this site, but I REALLY don't consider Eklund a reputable source. Plus god knows how many times people have said he's available over the past few years when he's been anything but.

mmssd

Dec 28, 2013
The whole problem with trading Eric is that if he goes, who's going to replace him at #1 C? I don't think Lindholm is ready for that. It doesn't seem like people making trade proposals are considering this.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The whole problem with trading Eric is that if he goes, who's going to replace him at #1 C? I don't think Lindholm is ready for that. It doesn't seem like people making trade proposals are considering this.

Depends on who we trade him to. Obviously, whoever we trade him to will have to include some kind of center coming back. Stastny might also be an option in free agency.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
This has nothing to do with anything.. but I saw this on the trade board and now I scurred.

picgifs-nailed-it-amazed-excited-1718151.gif

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Staal is a better player by far than kesler. You saw what he got when Vancouver had no control. That would be a good step beneath what you would have to pay for estaal. The canes have control. You could argue the difference in quality is negated by estaals salary, you'd still have to come with at least what kesler got plus overcome the fact the canes don't have to trade him. It's gotta hurt some for you. It hurts huge for us. Captain, top center, leading scorer even when he's off. He's the immediate focus of your offense, and if not for weber your entire team. Josi would be required plus a very good young forward and probably a pick. If it was Ekholm then up the player and the pick has to be a first. Ekholm, forsberg and a first? I think that's an offer that gets consideration. Josi probably gets it done.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Staal led the entire NHL in even strength points in 2012-2013. But yeah, totally comparable to James "utter **** without Malkin" Neal.

Yeah, in 2012 - 2013. He seems like a 65 point player now and is being paid like a 100 point player. I wouldn't call Neal "utter ****", I guarantee you the Canes would love to have him.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Yeah, in 2012 - 2013. He seems like a 65 point player now and is being paid like a 100 point player.

2012 was two seasons ago, it's still pretty relevant. He seems like a 65 point player to you. If you followed the Canes it would have been clear to you that this last season wasn't typical. He was coming off a serious knee injury and at lease one of his main line mates (Tlusty/Semin) was also injured at some point during the year, which messed with chemistry. Next season if everyone is healthy I would expect production more in line with 12-13 than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad