Your opinion on what's changed with our defense?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Started well, now we look basically like last year. Anyone with real hockey knowledge can correct me, but it seems we don't play position anymore, run around a lot without structure when in our D zone.

Other factors may be the teams have scouted what we have been doing and figure out how to work around, perhaps causing our running around.

Or, the forwards just have stopped the D commitment....leave too soon.

Or, or D are worn down, too many regressing to form, etc. Slumping?

It is getting frustrating, seeing all the supposed progress taking a step backwards.

What's your best explanation?

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I think the size on the team is getting exposed. The d is getting pushed around and then they rush to get the puck out of zone. Probably a little too much worried about offense.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Since the NYR game ended the 7 in 11 these are the scores:
WIN 1 DAL 2 SO
MIN 2 DAL 1
DAL 2 ANA 4
DAL 3 SJS 4 OT
DAL 2 LAK 3
EDM 2 DAL 3
COL 3 DAL 1
CGY 1 DAL 2
DAL 5 WIN 3
DAL 4 COL 3 OT
CHI 5 DAL 1

31 goals in 11 games, 2.81 GAA. More interesting numbers IMO: points in last 16 games: Benn 10, Seguin 9, Sharp 9, Spezza 15

If they were scoring like they did earlier in the season, we'd have at least 2 more standings points in that stretch.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Just not good enough players to even hope to be better than average in that facet of the game.

Goaltending should not be absolved from sin though, it's been absolutely terrible since New Years.

Pre new year sv%: 0.914
Post new year sv%: 0.886

And I know the defense doesn't make it easy on them, but come on. That's what Dallas is getting for $10.4 million.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
yes there's that, but we had gotten our GAA down to under 2.5 on the hot streak, and 2.81 sounds about half way back to last years 3.04, just not good enough improvement.

As we saw yesterday in the SB, defense still wins the championships.

I wonder if the forwards are working harder to stay back, thus limiting the rush opportunities a bit......

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
I feel the usual suspects, Goose, Klinger, Demers, Oduya, Jordie, are a bit undersized, and, of those five, Goose, Klinger, and Demers tend to pinch a bit looking for offense. The kids, JJ, Big Rig, Nemeth, just don't have the nastiness we need in a bruising defenseman. Lindy's been married to the current pairs, so it's hard to tell if some lineup jostling would compliment each player's strengths and weaknesses.

I read somewhere that Dallas' D is built more like the puck movers Detroit had in their hey day, and, according to what we put on the ice each night, that has to be Nill's plan. Wish we could pull a player like one of the big boys from the 1990s, Hatcher, Matvichuck, etc, to simply be a stay-at-home D-man, but that probably goes against what Nill has put in place. Will probably have to wait for the kids in the A to grow up a bit before we see a dominant defensive presence.

Nemo and Kari are just a bit on the other side of average, although Nemo tends to get hot during specific games. Wish we had a workhorse like Holtby. Again, one of the kids, Legace, Derosiers, or (gasp) Campbell, need to separate themselves from the pack to earn a spot in the show.

Feels like we're not scoring as many goals as before January, so the forwards may be looking for their shot a bit more, and neglecting playing in the defensive zone. Puck possession has been piss poor, and penalties and turnovers have been costly. The speed at which they play could be a factor as well. And I'm sure opposing teams have scouted us a bit more than they would have a year ago, and they're simply more prepared.

Really, effort and discipline would do wonders for this team.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I don't think a whole lot.

Guys maybe making a few more mistakes here and there, forwards maybe not doing as well a job of helping out.

When things are rolling, you play well and everything seems easier. It just flows. Once chain links start to kind of come undone a little, teams start to figure you out as well, that's when you find out really who is who and what is what.

We're still a mistake prone team, we're undersized on the blue line, and overall just not a ton of talent back there.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
We're still a mistake prone team, we're undersized on the blue line, and overall just not a ton of talent back there.

There really isn't anyone that stands out as "wow, that guy is talented" other than Klingberg. Even Demers, who I really like, isn't someone that screams "talent".

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Demers will get 4-6 Million easily on the open market maybe more if someone wants to overpay. I mean apparently someone wants to throw 5x5 at Kris Russel and Demers is way better than him and younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad