• 2nd line winger

• 1st line winger

• Elite winger

Results are only viewable after voting.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Joey Moss said:
Well it's complete BS.

Pretty sure of all the wingers they've had to play with this season, Pulju is not the worst.
It's not really about who is the worst. Pulju doesn't know where to be on the ice and when to be there, he often will run into the wrong lane and interfere with their ability to make the play they want to make, the fact that he has more skill than other wingers isn't all that relevant to those two, they have enough skill to carry a line without much assistance. What McDavid and Drai want in a linemate is someone who will support the play, not turnover the puck, and a level of consistency to know what that individual is going to do and where they are going to be, when Pulju is out there he is playing to the beat of his own drum, he isn't falling in line with what McDavid and Drai are looking to do.

Reactions: frag2

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Puljujarvi fans live in this bizarre reality where he's not just the most important part of the team, he's the only part. It doesn't matter how expensive the car is, the neighbor kid with no impulse control needs to learn how to drive stick.

I don't buy it, McDavid doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would cry about line mates. Seems more to me that these two guys would accept the challenge of getting this kid going and helping to build him up and that's how the (hopefully) new management and coaching staff need to frame it. Many of Puljujarvi's issues can be coached out but he's like a puppy its going to take lots of 1 on 1 coaching, lots of repetition and lots of support, he's going to make mistakes but that's part of learning and building confidence. His problems are between the ears, make no mistake he's never going to ne known for sublime playmaking ability or incredible hockey iq but he's got enough to get by, and he can skate, he can shoot and he's committed to a 200 ft game. Now it's just coaching out the bad habits, getting his timing down and getting his confidence up.
There's a difference between crying about teammates and telling the coach that the player doesn't know what the f*** to do and it's killing the line's offense.

Reactions: frag2

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Pulju's agent made it clear in an interview yesterday, that he will be playing in NHL next season. Finland is not an option, just stupid speculation from finnish press.
Without a GM to discuss with him what our plans are I think it is presumptuous to assume he will be in the NHL next season, my preference is that we qualify his rights and let him play 2 years in Europe and discuss bringing him back at the conclusion of those two years, provided he was atleast semi-dominant across the pond. There is a level of polish he needs that I think is best suited to come from playing a lot of hockey at a level lower than the NHL, if he stays it'll likely result in a coach taking him under his wing and skewing him to playing hard shutdown hockey, it may improve our ability to win games in the near term, but I foresee it stunting his offensive development.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Puljujarvi fans live in this bizarre reality where he's not just the most important part of the team, he's the only part. It doesn't matter how expensive the car is, the neighbor kid with no impulse control needs to learn how to drive stick.

There's a difference between crying about teammates and telling the coach that the player doesn't know what the **** to do and it's killing the line's offense.

Haha if that's the case McDavid was probably saying that about every forward on the team save for Draisaitl and RNH. Your right he probably just told Mclellan and then Hitch to throw him out there all by himself cause everyone is "killing the offense". You could be out there on a line with McDavid and it wouldn't kill his offence, it's kinda his thing.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Haha if that's the case McDavid was probably saying that about every forward on the team save for Draisaitl and RNH. Your right he probably just told Mclellan and then Hitch to throw him out there all by himself cause everyone is "killing the offense". You could be out there on a line with McDavid and it wouldn't kill his offence, it's kinda his thing.

McDavid wants to win. Stapling JP on his line with Draisaitl and 'hoping he figures it out throughout the season' isn't conducive for success.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's not really about who is the worst. Pulju doesn't know where to be on the ice and when to be there, he often will run into the wrong lane and interfere with their ability to make the play they want to make, the fact that he has more skill than other wingers isn't all that relevant to those two, they have enough skill to carry a line without much assistance. What McDavid and Drai want in a linemate is someone who will support the play, not turnover the puck, and a level of consistency to know what that individual is going to do and where they are going to be, when Pulju is out there he is playing to the beat of his own drum, he isn't falling in line with what McDavid and Drai are looking to do.

I can't say I've scene this. Or if it happened it certainly didn't happen often.

Can anyone find a video or a source that backs any of this up? His play or McDrai commenting on JP?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

There's a difference between crying about teammates and telling the coach that the player doesn't know what the **** to do and it's killing the line's offense.

I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I would consider myself optimistic about his chances of becoming a solid contributing NHL'er.

He's 20.

All 20 year olds are morons (That's right, if you're 20 or under, you're a bloody idiot).

Coyotes gave up on Dylan Strome when he was 22, despite showing all the signs he had the tools to be a very good NHLer.
They also gave up on Max Domi at 23 who also showed many of the signs he had the tools to be a very good NHLer.

You guys are talking about a 20 year old being lost on the ice, and being dogged by inconsistent efforts.

HELLO? THAT'S ALMOST EVERY 20 year old.

STOP BEING SO FIXATED ON HIS BLOODY DRAFT POSITION. HE WAS ALWAYS GOING TO BE A PROJECT.

Yes, we f***ed up his development. Yes, he should have spent another year in the FEL, and another year in the minors before bringing him up.

The biggest issue he has, is that he's still a stupid 20 year old kid, who needs to learn what it means to be a professional. Pretty much like every stupid 20 year old I know.

Next season should have been his REAL rookie season.

Reactions: BudBundy

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Wonder if this paints a more clear picture for some of you:

Here are the past several forwards who were drafted #4:

Mitch Marner* Superstar non-comparable

Sam Bennett - Comparable - Rookie season at 20 years old. Still only a servicable depth player.

Ryan Johansen
- Comparable - Still in Minors 21. Broke out at 22.

Evander Kane
- Comparable - Rookie season at 19. Broke out at 21.

Nick Backstrom* Superstar non-comparable

Benoit Pouliot
- Comparable - Regular time in the minors till 23. Servicable NHLer at 25

Andrew Ladd
- Comparable - Spent some time in the minors till he was 23. Broke out at 26.

Nikolai Zherdev * Good player who didn't give a shit.

Stephen Weiss
- Comparable - In the Minors till 23. Broke out at 24.

JP is a typical 4th overall pick, who ranges somewhere between Sam Bennett, and Ryan Johansen.
Those player did not show much of ANYTHING AT ALL until they hit ages between 21-to 26.

IT IS NORMAL FOR A 4TH OVERALL PICKED FORWARD TO NOT BREAK OUT UNTIL MID 20s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad