Line Combos: Your Opening Night Roster II

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Just to refresh some memories.
He was a defensive liability during the playoffs, has not seen much of an improvement during the pre-season.

Am I crazy or is Gionta the one who screwed up there, not Donato? Donato protected the high slot from a pass and Gionta was watching the puck.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Gionta had no business in the lineup, let alone on the ice in OT.

Sorry If Off Topic:
Welp, he didn't sign himself and put himself out on the ice. Sweeney signed Gionta and Cassidy put him out there on the ice. They made the poor decisions in signing him and then using him. Their "pro-scouting" department must've had a say and, just like with the draft Sweeney is said to depend on his scouts to make such decisions. Last I checked there hasn't been any discussion by the FO regarding that weak point in their managerial department.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Am I crazy or is Gionta the one who screwed up there, not Donato? Donato protected the high slot from a pass and Gionta was watching the puck.

Yes, Gionta was the one however Donato had a pretty good opportunity to play the puck. Afraid to be checked he just semi slashed it, afterwards was weak on the boards and the rest is history.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Donato has gone from #1 prospect to Vatrano 2.0 in one offseason.

Good to know.

People were bent out of shape he wasn't being dressed in the playoffs last year, and now they're ready to drive him back to Providence because Peter Cehlarik deserves a spot, dammit...lol

I can only speak for myself when I say my stance on Donato has not changed at all. I still think he's going to be a gifted NHL scorer at some point, but he needs to work on his 3 zone game (like 90% of young players). I didn't want him dressed in the playoffs and I think his D is still a work in progress.

I do think he could probably play Top 6 with 46 and 74, but part of me thinks that playing with two defensively responsible F's like Kuraly and Backes on the 3rd line, where he will see better matchups is the way to go. I am in no way giving up on Donato as a blue chip prospect.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I can only speak for myself when I say my stance on Donato has not changed at all. I still think he's going to be a gifted NHL scorer at some point, but he needs to work on his 3 zone game (like 90% of young players). I didn't want him dressed in the playoffs and I think his D is still a work in progress.

I do think he could probably play Top 6 with 46 and 74, but part of me thinks that playing with two defensively responsible F's like Kuraly and Backes on the 3rd line, where he will see better matchups is the way to go. I am in no way giving up on Donato as a blue chip prospect.

I was more referring to his offensive potential being much greater than Vatrano was here but you are right. That’s probably the biggest reason he wasn’t given a top-6 spot.

He’s pretty much unknown at the NHL level so think we really don’t know what he is at this point. I’m not gonna get carried away either way.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
What is going on with Stempniak and Winnik? They aren't signed yet, but also not cut, right?

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Yes, Gionta was the one however Donato had a pretty good opportunity to play the puck. Afraid to be checked he just semi slashed it, afterwards was weak on the boards and the rest is history.

Well that really has nothing to do with his "defensive" play then but also I'm not sure what else he was supposed to do given the position of the puck along the boards. There wasn't a lot of space to make a play with the puck even if he had gotten there before the Lightning player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad