Speculation: Your opening day roster

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Smyth - Hall - Hemsky
- They've been strong so far and offer a great mix. They can also handle the PVP matchups without getting killed.

Perron - Gordon - Yakupov
- I like the Gordon/Yakupov duo, and Perron seems like a threat every time he's on the ice. They will also be able to take on strong opposition, which they'll have to do as there are very few one-line teams in the NHL these days.

Joensuu - Arcobello - Eberle
- Hopefully some chemistry carries over between Arcobello and Eberle because I think Arcobello will need all the help he can get once he's asked to play against NHL lineups. If Eakins gets the matchups, this line should be able to do well with the easy draws.

Eager - Acton - Hamilton
- Grinder line with limited icetime. Acton can be utilized on the PK and the familiarity with Hamilton should come in handy at ES.

As for the defense, I have Belov on the team, and back at his usual RD spot. I thought he struggled last night when they had him on the left side (I still don't get why they had 5 RDs in the lineup at the same time):

Smid - Petry
- No reason to split them up, and no reason not to use them as a shutdown pairing.

Ference - J.Schultz
- Ference appears to be a better compliment to the young Schultz than Schultz Sr., and also the better defenseman at this stage.

N.Schultz - Belov
- Belov looked like the best of the bubble defensemen, and having a vetran like Schultz to help him along with 3rd pairing responsibilities could be a major boon for the Oilers. I could handle Larsen here, but I think Belov's been more effective and I like his size.

I like this lineup for all the stated reasons... but I sub Brown for Hamilton just because he is more fleet of foot.

But once Gagner is back I'd do:
Joensuu Gags Yakupov
Perron Gordon Eberle
as my 2A and 2B lines. I'd like to see Yak get some decent service as a primary offensive threat and I've also liked what Perron and Ebs have done together. I think they can handle all kinds of 5v5 when paired with Gordon (moreso than with Gags).

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If Hall plays as good as he has been once RNH and Gagner are back I really like the depth..

Smyth - Hall - Hemsky
Perron - Gagner - Eberle
Joensuu - RNH - Yakupov
Macintyre - Gordon - Brown
Eager/Acton/Arcobello/Hamilton battling for 2 bench spots while RNH and Gagner recover.

Very balanced.. All depends on if that 1st line can stick. At some point we all know Smyth is going to suck and hopefully Eakins notices it. I still like the Hemsky and Hall pairing though. Putting Hall at center really adds something nice to the team. He's already our best faceoff man and it creates 3 scoring lines compared to 2 with Hall on the LW.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think all of our d-pairing are decided. So i'm just going into the forward lines.

Before Gagner comes back:
Hemsky-Hall-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Perron
Eager-Action-Brown

Hemsky-Hall-Eberle
All three guys have enough skill to be be on the top line and both Eberle and Hemsky have shown good chemistry with Hall.

Joensuu has had a great training camp and they need some size on this line.

Smyth-Gordon-Perron
All 3 players are good defensively. Will be a very good shutdown line for now.

Eager-Action-Brown
If Eager stays motivated this'll be a good line for pushing the opposition around.

If Gagner comes back first:
Hemsky-Hall-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Joensuu
Eager-Action-Brown
Smackintyre

Perron plays a complete enough game and Gagner brings enough size back in the line-up that we can afford to put Joensuu back onto a checking line where he belongs. Arcobello can go back to lighting up the AHL.

If Hopkins comes back first:

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Action-Brown
Eager Smackintyre

All three lines have a scoring threat and some defensively responsible players.

After both Gagner and Hopkins are back if the impossible task of being 100% healthy ever happens:

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Action-Brown
Eager Smackintyre

1: Guess Smackintyre is our extra forward.
2: Lander is the first call-up if Gordon or Action get hurt.
3: Arcobello is the first call-up if Hopkins or Gagner get hurt again.
4: Pitlick is the first call-up if a winger gets hurt.
5: I don't want Smyth playing every game. He always starts the year off fresh and seems to be tuckered out half way into the season.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This is what I want

Hemsky-Hall-Yakupov
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Smith-Gordan-Joensuu
Eager-Acton-Brown
McIntyre-Hamilton

Smid-Petry
Ference-Justin
Nick-Belov
Larsson

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The way Perron and Eberle have looked together this preseason you could probably put Cory Cross between them and they'd be fine.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I know Belov is more comfortable playing the right side, but I wonder if he could play the left.

The lefties for the bottom pairing are Schultz or Grebeshkov. I'd like to see both of them as far from the roster as possible.

I would much prefer Belov, Larsen and Potter making up the #5, #6, #7 spots.

This last preseason game was Belov's worst so far IMO. It's also the only one where he was asked to play LD, and I think those two things are probably connected.

It was a strange game though because of the 6 Dmen dressed, Nurse was the only one who was a natural LD. All of Fedun, Petry, Larsen, Belov, and Schultz are RDs.

Winter94

Jun 18, 2013
Lines without RNH/Gagner:

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky

I'm tempted to not put Smyth there but I know he and Hemsky know each other so well. Hall and Hemsky have nice chemistry too, and I believe this line could work because Hall likes to shoot and Hemsky a good passer as well with I think with Smyth there looking for the rebounds, we could see a few goals from this line.

Jonesuu could be another option but I'm just wishing for RNH and Gagner to be back soon.

Perron-Arco-Eberle

Stats show Perron and Eberle are producing and hopefully it'll stay like this in the NHL level.

Jonesuu-Gordon-Yakupov

(hopefully it'll do for now)

Hamilton-Acton-Brown
fourth line is fourth line. Replace Hamilton with SMac if toughness is needed depending on teams.

Smid-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
Belov-N.Schultz

Extra: Larsen

Lines with RNH/Gagner (when they come back): not for full year / could be some experimentation involved

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-Gagner-Eberle
Smyth-Gordon-Yakupov
Jonesuu-Acton/Acro-Brown

Extra: MacIntyre

I don't know how Yak will do on the third line still but it's more distributed like what Eakins wanted and hopefully what'll happen is Gordon passes Yak a one timer with Smyth screening or there looking for a rebound. Hall-RNH-Hemsky could perhaps make some nice plays while Perron-Gagner-Eberle would be interesting to see.

Or switch Jonesuu and Smyth too to see how that works.

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
Belov-N Schultz

Extra: Larsen

No comment for defence right now.

Dubnyk - I like him but sometimes he just lets in those weak goals... he better bring his best with him this year!

Labarbera - don't like him. didn't he in the preseason New York ranger game had let in that one bad goal because he appeared to be distracted by turning his head to be looking at the crowd then back at the play then the crowd? Hope he proves me wrong because we cannot afford mistakes or another Ty Conklin moment.

Last edited:

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->