Speculation: Your opening day roster

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It annoys me to see Hemsky on the first line and last seasons leading goal scorer on the 3rd. I won't stress about it because Hemsky will get hurt sooner or later

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
MacIntyre-Hall-Brown
Hall-Arco-Eberle
Hall-Gordon-MacIntyre
Perron-Hall-Yakupov

Hall-Schultz
MacIntyre-Hall
Hall-MacIntyre

Dubnyk
Hall

#NailedIt

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Smyth - Hall - Hemsky
Perron - Arcobello - Eberle
Joensuu - Gordon - Yakupov
Hamilton - Acton - Brown/Macintyre/Eager

Ference - Schultz
Smid - Petry
Belov - Larsen
Schultz

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Smyth - Hall - Hemsky

Ference - Schultz
Smid - Petry
Belov - Larsen
Schultz

This is pretty much my lineup as well, and the first one or Smyth and Hemsky to falter and Yakupov moves up.

I hate having Smyth and Hemsky with Hall, but they haven't look too bad in preseason at least, thought fairly certain Hall can make anyone look good.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It will be something like

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joenssu-Gordon-Yakupov
Hamilton-Acton-Brown
MacIntire, Eager

J.Schultz-Ferrence
Petry-Smid
Belov-N.Schultz
Larsen

Once RNH and Gagner come back, Hall switches back to 1LW spot, Arcobello goes to the AHL, and Smyth, depending on how he performs bounces between 2-4LW spots. Another possibility is Hall continues to play centre and they roll with three scoring lines with Acton taking a spot in the PB.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is pretty much my lineup as well, and the first one or Smyth and Hemsky to falter and Yakupov moves up.

I hate having Smyth and Hemsky with Hall, but they haven't look too bad in preseason at least, thought fairly certain Hall can make anyone look good.

Here's how Eakins builds his lines.

“This isn’t about top six and bottom six (forwards),†Eakins said. “I’d rather take the top six and put them vertical and have basically three lines (so) that the other team goes, ‘Which one am I going to check tonight?’

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Smyth - Hall - Hemsky

Ference - Schultz
Smid - Petry
Belov - Larsen
Schultz

I'd have Eager in place of Hamilton. He has actual NHL experience and has something to prove this year. If he plays well he could be good trade bait. Also I watched a few games so far and haven't noticed Hamilton once.

I'd also have Nick Schultz in place of Larsen for now. I think he doesn't fit on this team anymore. But his experience might help us through what should be a rough month or two. Should be gone by the deadline at the latest.

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
It annoys me to see Hemsky on the first line and last seasons leading goal scorer on the 3rd. I won't stress about it because Hemsky will get hurt sooner or later

Someone on TSN last night explained this really well (don't remember who). They said that Hemsky and Hall go together well because they can cycle and try to get the passing play, but you can put anybody with Yakupov and he is going to carry the offence himself and try to snipe one he can be put with plugs and still put up numbers

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Smyth - Hall - Hemsky

Ference - Schultz
Smid - Petry
Belov - Larsen
Schultz

This is exactly what i have..rotate brown/eager/smack depending who we play. If we need more toughness sit Hamilton in favour of one of them.

Then sit back and hope/dream that RNH and Gags can make it back asap

McDeathbyCheerios*

Here's how Eakins builds his lines.

“This isn’t about top six and bottom six (forwards),†Eakins said. “I’d rather take the top six and put them vertical and have basically three lines (so) that the other team goes, ‘Which one am I going to check tonight?’
Once people are all recovered...

Perron RNH Eberle
Smyth Hall Hemsky
Joensuu Gagner Yakupov
Eager Gordon Brown
SMac

Ferrence JShultz
Smid Petry
Belov Larsen
NShultz

Top line is pure skill. Second and third line have a play maker, a pure goal scorer and a guy to plant in front of the net. Fourth line is almost a pure defensive zone a checking line.

Alternatively we could go.

Hall RNH Yakupov
Perron Gagner Eberle
Joensuu Gordon Hemsky
Smyth Acton Brown
Eager

Ferrence JShultz
Smid Petry
Belov Larsen
NShultz

Top two lines are threats, third line is a checking line and the fourth is for whatever.

I feel like the first line up is the style Eakins likes the most. Never sitting on a lead trying to hold it. Having three lines that can all score well and one very solid checking line. The second one is something we have tried here for the last few years that hasn't really worked. The first one is one I can for sure see us in a playoff race with

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Smyth Hall Hemmer
Perron Arco Eberle
Jonesuuuuu Gordon Yak
Hamilton Acton Brown
Smac

Smid Petry
Ference J Schultz
Belov N.Schultz

Really hoping that someone such as joensuu or Perron takes over the left wing on the top line in the first 10 games, I'm a longtime smyth fan but he's just not top line material any more. I think we're going to have a rough ride till we at least get Hopkins back, or lack of centre depth will be noticeable early

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Someone on TSN last night explained this really well (don't remember who). They said that Hemsky and Hall go together well because they can cycle and try to get the passing play, but you can put anybody with Yakupov and he is going to carry the offence himself and try to snipe one he can be put with plugs and still put up numbers

Until we are healthy its unfortunately the best scenario imo.

See the game vs Vancouver..Yak was with Khaira and Hamilton IIRC and one of them dug the puck out behind the net after a good forecheck and centered it... Yak sniped it top corner before anyone had time to react. He's got that one-shot scoring ability thats probably best on the team

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Smytty - Hall - Hemmer
Hamilton - Acton - Brown
Macintyre
Eager

Ference - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
Belov - N. Schultz
Larsen
Potter

Dubnyk - Lababera

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
To start the year:

Smyth- Hall- Hemsky
Perron- Gordon- Eberle
Joensuu- Arcobello- Yakupov
Hamilton- Acton- Brown
Eager- MacIntyre

No injuries:

Perron- Hopkins- Eberle
Smyth- Hall- Hemsky
Joensuu- Gagner- Yakupov
Hamilton- Gordon- Arcobello
Acton- Brown

Dream world:

Joensuu- Hopkins- Eberle
Prospal- Hall- Hemsky
Perron- Gagner- Yakupov
Smyth- Gordon- Arcobello
Hamilton- Brown

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Until we are healthy its unfortunately the best scenario imo.

See the game vs Vancouver..Yak was with Khaira and Hamilton IIRC and one of them dug the puck out behind the net after a good forecheck and centered it... Yak sniped it top corner before anyone had time to react. He's got that one-shot scoring ability thats probably best on the team

ya that was a nice blind backhand pass from jujie

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I know Belov is more comfortable playing the right side, but I wonder if he could play the left.

The lefties for the bottom pairing are Schultz or Grebeshkov. I'd like to see both of them as far from the roster as possible.

I would much prefer Belov, Larsen and Potter making up the #5, #6, #7 spots.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Acrobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Eager-Acton-Brown

Smid-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
Larsen-Belov

Dubnyk

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Eberle-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Joensuu
Eager-Fedun-Brown
(MacIntyre)

Ference-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Larsen
(Belov, Grebeshkov)

I just....I really don't want to even look at hamilton or acton....I'm aware this is not an improvement and that it is irrational.

Perron and Ebs looked great together...but I can't bring myself to put Yak with grinders...load the top six until nuge and gags get back before you start spreading out the talent.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It will be something like

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joenssu-Gordon-Yakupov
Hamilton-Acton-Brown
MacIntire, Eager

J.Schultz-Ferrence
Petry-Smid
Belov-N.Schultz
Larsen

Once RNH and Gagner come back, Hall switches back to 1LW spot, Arcobello goes to the AHL, and Smyth, depending on how he performs bounces between 2-4LW spots. Another possibility is Hall continues to play centre and they roll with three scoring lines with Acton taking a spot in the PB.

This. Unless they are gonna really switch the lines around from preseason I can't see them not doing this.

Brown, Eager, and Hamilton have all shown about the same. Look for them all to be rotated unless one can really impress. I am hoping Eager but there really isn't anything to suggest this will be the case.

As much as I don't like Yak on the third line I must say the

Joe Gordon Yak line is very very interesting. A great mix of size, skill, and defensive accoutability.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Not liking Smyth that much but:

Smyth - Hall - Hemsky
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Joensuu - Gordon - Yak
Hamilton - Acton - Jones
Brown, Mac

Ference - JSchultz
Smid - Petry
Larsen - Belov
NSchultz

I expect Belov to replace Smid if Smid continues to suck.

So much for Jones.

Revision.

Smyth - Hall - Hemsky
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Joensuu - Gordon - Yak
Hamilton - Acton - Eager
Mac, Brown

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
What i'd like to see: