Your old/other team?

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Who was your NHL team before the Kraken came into existence, and do you still cheer for them?

I was an engaged and passionate Canucks fan, from 1970 on, until learning from former employees bound by NDA’s that the Aquilini family is even worse than the public record indicates. I gave away or sold all my Vancouver stuff.

Seattle all the way!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
San Jose Sharks fan. Got into hockey (around 2010) because my father-in-law used to be a big Sharks fan. But as soon as we found out we were getting a local team we chatted about it and decided we were going to follow the Kraken.

Ironically the Kraken are the 1st home state team I have ever supported .. :D

Reactions: Kevinsane

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Jackets. Still love them but it hurts.

Before they came into the league it was the Oilers.

I live in the South Sound and when Bjorkstrand was swindled (my favorite player since he came into the league) it felt better to follow the Kraken.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
North Stars fan until they moved to Dallas which really bummed me out at the time and actually still does. Spent a year trying to figure out who to pick after that because it definitely wasn’t going to be the Dallas Stars. After trying on Montreal and Vancouver I settled on the New Jersey Devils, who were my second favorite sports team period (After the Timbers) for many years until the Kraken came along and took the overall top spot… but I’d been waiting for the Kraken for a very very long time.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
North Stars fan until they moved to Dallas which really bummed me out at the time and actually still does. Spent a year trying to figure out who to pick after that because it definitely wasn’t going to be the Dallas Stars. After trying on Montreal and Vancouver I settled on the New Jersey Devils, who were my second favorite sports team period (After the Timbers) for many years until the Kraken came along and took the overall top spot… but I’d been waiting for the Kraken for a very very long time.
What Norm Green did was despicable, and North Stars fans didn’t deserve to have to pay for his greed and affair.

San Jose Sharks fan. Got into hockey (around 2010) because my father-in-law used to be a big Sharks fan. But as soon as we found out we were getting a local team we chatted about it and decided we were going to follow the Kraken.

Ironically the Kraken are the 1st home state team I have ever supported .. :D
Whaaaat? No love for the Sonics, Seahawks, or Mariners? I’m curious as to why.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What Norm Green did was despicable, and North Stars fans didn’t deserve to have to pay for his greed and affair.

Whaaaat? No love for the Sonics, Seahawks, or Mariners? I’m curious as to why.
I moved to the US (Connecticut) when I was 18. I learnt about American sports in college and, back then, rooted for the Red Sox (local-ish team). When I started following football, I picked the Packers because of Favre. Loved that gunslinger mentality. Since I was younger, I have rooted for the Bulls, so I stuck with them even after moving to the US. I didn't start following hockey till much later (late 20s). Which may also have been why it was "easier" to switch over to the Kraken. That plus, how often do you get a chance to root for a team right from the start?

That being said, I don't follow baseball and basketball enough to care anymore. I guess I root for the Sounders, but I don't follow MLS that much, either. I have tried to root for the Seahawks but just can't. I don't know what it is.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I moved to the US (Connecticut) when I was 18. I learnt about American sports in college and, back then, rooted for the Red Sox (local-ish team). When I started following football, I picked the Packers because of Favre. Loved that gunslinger mentality. Since I was younger, I have rooted for the Bulls, so I stuck with them even after moving to the US. I didn't start following hockey till much later (late 20s). Which may also have been why it was "easier" to switch over to the Kraken. That plus, how often do you get a chance to root for a team right from the start?

That being said, I don't follow baseball and basketball enough to care anymore. I guess I root for the Sounders, but I don't follow MLS that much, either. I have tried to root for the Seahawks but just can't. I don't know what it is.
That all makes sense. I don’t follow the NBA anymore. Living in Vancouver and seeing the Grizzlies debacle and the Sonics moving soured me for good.
Baseball is tough when the Mariners’ ownership seems disinterested in fielding a winning team.
The Seahawks, though? All in since Zorn to Largent.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
None but I grew up in Scotland and moved to the Seattle at 23. Tried ti get into the Canucks post Stanley cup run but it was almost impossible as the games weren't shown in Seattle.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
1705173738202.png

I "found" hockey in the mid 90's. Those great Detroit/ Dallas / Colorado teams were always on tv, but these became my guys. Then I went and learned all about the team history and my fandom solidified even more.

Little did I know that I had hitched my wagon to one of the unluckiest teams in sports, and I really can't stand the team's ownership and management. Still a fan though, despite my dissatisfaction.

Reactions: majormajor

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
None but I grew up in Scotland and moved to the Seattle at 23. Tried ti get into the Canucks post Stanley cup run but it was almost impossible as the games weren't shown in Seattle.
The NHL dropped the ball. I would have been a canucks fan 30 years ago if they televised games down here.

The Kraken are the only NHL team I’ve rooted for.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Yes, perhaps starting tomorrow. :laugh:

(they're playing the Kraken today)
D’oh! Yup, starting tomorrow.

The NHL dropped the ball. I would have been a canucks fan 30 years ago if they televised games down here.

The Kraken are the only NHL team I’ve rooted for.
I never understood that. So many kids, like me, embraced the Mariners and Seahawks from day one because we could WATCH THEM, free, on Seattle channels we picked up on basic cable in Vancouver.

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC

I never understood that. So many kids, like me, embraced the Mariners and Seahawks from day one because we could WATCH THEM, free, on Seattle channels we picked up on basic cable in Vancouver.
Me too! Since BC had access to all of the Seattle cable channels, I also grew up watching (and loving) the Mariners, Seahawks and Sonics! Always waited for a NHL team to come to Seattle, so glad that it did during my lifetime!

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

It's not even that they didn't show the Canucks. It's as if the nhl just didn't exist barring a few national broadcast games. Mlb is probably like that now where it's a pain to watch all Mariners games

Reactions: Toomany7pins

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I was a Leaf fan for over fifty years, since 1968, the year I came to Canada and the year after the Leafs won the Cup for the last time. But I was never a fanatic Leaf fan. I liked watching good hockey whether it was the Canadiens, the Bruins, the Islanders, the fabulous Oilers of the Gretzky era (my favourite team to watch), or, even, the eye-opening Red Army teams of the '70s. Sure, I wanted the Leafs to win and I watched them every HNIC, but it wasn't a life and death sort of thing. Eventually the hullabaloo around the team--the fanaticism, the media frenzy. the sheer amount of time in Toronto focusing on all things Leafs--just wore me out. It became like rooting for General Motors or IBM, just not fun any more.

Since becoming a Kraken fan, I've watched maybe five Leaf games in their entirety, if that. Sure, if the Kraken are eliminated and the Leafs still in it, I would root for the Leafs to win the Cup. But I am very comfortable being a Kraken fan now. If the Kraken played the Leafs in the Stanley Cup final, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind whom I would root for--Seattle, of course, without a backward glance. I don't really feel a strong allegiance to any other hockey team besides the Kraken. And being a night owl of long standing, it turns out that rooting for a west coast team with late starts by East Coast standards actually suits me to a tee. I'm happy where I am. And I am happier than where I was.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I was a Leaf fan for over fifty years, since 1968, the year I came to Canada and the year after the Leafs won the Cup for the last time. But I was never a fanatic Leaf fan. I liked watching good hockey whether it was the Canadiens, the Bruins, the Islanders, the fabulous Oilers of the Gretzky era (my favourite team to watch), or, even, the eye-opening Red Army teams of the '70s. Sure, I wanted the Leafs to win and I watched them every HNIC, but it wasn't a life and death sort of thing. Eventually the hullabaloo around the team--the fanaticism, the media frenzy. the sheer amount of time in Toronto focusing on all things Leafs--just wore me out. It became like rooting for General Motors or IBM, just not fun any more.

Since becoming a Kraken fan, I've watched maybe five Leaf games in their entirety, if that. Sure, if the Kraken are eliminated and the Leafs still in it, I would root for the Leafs to win the Cup. But I am very comfortable being a Kraken fan now. If the Kraken played the Leafs in the Stanley Cup final, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind whom I would root for--Seattle, of course, without a backward glance. I don't really feel a strong allegiance to any other hockey team besides the Kraken. And being a night owl of long standing, it turns out that rooting for a west coast team with late starts by East Coast standards actually suits me to a tee. I'm happy where I am. And I am happier than where I was.
What made you pick Kraken over another team or even Vegas?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What made you pick Kraken over another team or even Vegas?
Timing. I was looking for a fresh start, so what better than to choose a brand new, fresh team. I thought Kraken was a cool touch, too. Never been to Seattle or Washington state in my life. In other words, something about as far from the Toronto experience as possible really appealed to me.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Montreal Canadiens in 1968 because of Yvon Cournoyer and Rogatien Vachon,then Chicago BlackHawks because of Bobby Hull,Stan MIkita and Tony O,then LA Kings because of Rogie Vachon,Juha Widing,Butch Goring,Serge Benier,Mike Murphy,Tom Williams(from Canada)...Vegas when they came into the League for a couple of seasons...closet Canucks fan since 1970 and of Course the Seattle Kraken because of the history of the Totems and Metropolitans and because of Ronnie Francis,Adam Larsson,VDunn,JMcCann,YGourde,Daniel Sprong...still watch the Kings play but not nearly as much as the Kraken

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Timing. I was looking for a fresh start, so what better than to choose a brand new, fresh team. I thought Kraken was a cool touch, too. Never been to Seattle or Washington state in my life. In other words, something about as far from the Toronto experience as possible really appealed to me.
My first,second and third NFL games where at Kingdome... SeaHawks vs Houston(Luv you Blue)Oilers(EBethea,ECampvell,CCulp,DPastorini and San Diego Chargers in 1979 and '80, and 1988 vs Oilers lead by Warren Moon and Run and Shoot Offense-WR's(DHill-85,EGivins-81,HJeffries-84,CDuncan-80) with BMatthews and MMunchak... protecting and Ray Childress,William Fuller,Robert Brazile and Sean Jones on Defense amongst others...Went to the Memorial Cup Tourny in Spokane in 1998 when the Chiefs lost to Portland in the Semi's...the eventual Champs...Went to Memorial Cup in Brandon in 2010 where Taylor Hall,Philipp Grubauer played for Champion Windsor SpitFires...Martin Jones played for Calgary Hitmen and was Stellar in Semi Final against host Brandon Wheat-Kings

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
Hartford/Carolina. I have always been a fan of Ron Francis and Rod Brind'amour. I'd like to see Brind'amour and Sebastian Aho in Kraken.

Reactions: majormajor

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I was a long-time die-hard Habs fan. Grew up watching the Habs, been a Habs poster on HF seriously for decades.

Reasons for leaving:
- they say there's an a**h*** in every crowd. Well, the Habs fanbase is a ridiculously large crowd. Conversations on the Habs board get loud with lots of bickering, whining, and entitlement. It can be tough to get a word in edgewise.
- Quebec nationalist culture and it's grip on the team. Constant conversations around the next Quebec-born star and how he'll be a Hab someday. There seriously needs to be a Quebec-born player in the lineup every game no matter what (not making that up).
- organization mindset around team-building. The team has not had an elite forward since the 70s, yet they've had 3 Vezina winners. What does that tell you?
- got to see them go to the final one last time, Logan Mailloux draft (final straw), same offseason Kraken made their first pick in Beniers. Perfect timing.

I'm also on the Atlantic coast without easy access to most Kraken games live. Which is a good thing actually. It forces me to take a step back and be a bit more of a casual fan. I still follow the draft very closely, though.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Born in Detroit. Winger until we moved to Tampa in 1979. Original STH in 1992. Then moved to Reno in 2016. Gourde was my fav and Lieweke was Bolts prez until he moved west. Ok, so now oldest daughter lives in Seattle and is a partial STH. If the Bolts were to play the Krak for a Cup I’d overdose on Fremont IPA.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I was a Canucks fan until we were gifted an expansion team. The two year transition was emotionally awkward, something I would later describe as being in a loving relationship with your girlfriend despite some ups and downs and seeing your future wife across the bar.

Kind of a similar to the OP, it was a moral quandary to cheer for a team that had such a shitty human as an owner. But it made the Kraken and the ownership group that much more a point of pride in how they navigated every single off-ice opportunity thoughtfully, progressively, and oftentimes as pioneers (except for the Wennberg thing last summer, but at least they rectified it quickly once it came to light). Absolutely love this team on and off the ice.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
That all makes sense. I don’t follow the NBA anymore. Living in Vancouver and seeing the Grizzlies debacle and the Sonics moving soured me for good.
Baseball is tough when the Mariners’ ownership seems disinterested in fielding a winning team.
The Seahawks, though? All in since Zorn to Largent.

I just re-read this post an it suits my story too. I was big into the Sonics during the Payton/ Kemp heyday, and stuck it out awhile afterward but my attention was turning toward the NHL instead. Once the Sonics left the NBA may as well have ceased to exist in my eyes.

Aside from the Winterhawks and Flyers, all my teams are in Seattle. I can admit to an early 90's tryst with the Buffalo Bills, but look how that turned out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad