GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Boston Bruins, 7 PM, MSG+: A Birthday Ode to Nico

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
@Saugus @britdevil @Nocashstyle @AfroThunder396
Honest questions:
Are you all fine with spending assets right now to bring back a goalie? If so, are you sending Bratt or Nico or a #1 to bring back a #1, or are you sending lesser value to bring back a plug?
If the latter, will it move the needle?

Fact is, his confidence is currently shot, and we could play Schmid or Bernier if he were healthy and it just wouldn't matter.

My point is we're screwed because of Crawford and Bernier, and we have a young 25 year old big athletic goaltender who is struggling with his confidence and who has had lots of bad breaks as well.

You all sound just like the 'trade Bratt', 'strip Nico', 'bench Hughes' crowd from past weeks, but instead of points or Corsi, it's HDSV.

If you stuck with those guys, you should stick with Mack, especially since he's getting lots of weird bounces, deflections and etc. His heel, COVID, Novak running him...they are all excuses but factors too.

My assertion is that you're stuck with the guy for this year, and you may as well get behind him (like the pucks...see what I did?) because I'm sure Edmonton and two or three other teams are ahead of us on the list of teams that need goaltenders. We aren't going to get anyone who is going to do anything except move us up or down a spot in the lottery.

And I don't think we can package mack in a deal because we will be in the same spot or worse.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Honest questions:
Are you all fine with spending assets right now to bring back a goalie? If so, are you sending Bratt or Nico or a #1 to bring back a #1, or are you sending lesser value to bring back a plug?

Fact is, his confidence is currently shot, and we could play Schmid or Bernier if he were healthy and it just wouldn't matter.

My point is we're screwed because of Crawford and Bernier, and we have a young 25 year old big athletic goaltender who is struggling with his confidence and who has had lots of bad breaks as well.

You all sound just like the 'trade Bratt', 'strip Nico', 'bench Hughes' crowd from past weeks, but instead of points or Corsi, it's HDSV.

If you stuck with those guys, you should stick with Mack, especially since he's getting lots of weird bounces, deflections and etc. His heel, COVID, Novak running him...they are all excuses but factors too.

My assertion is that you're stuck with the guy for this year, and you may as well get behind him (like the pucks...see what I did?) because I'm sure Edmonton and two or three other teams are ahead of us on the list of teams that need goaltenders. We aren't going to get anyone who is going to do anything except move us up or down a spot in the lottery.

And I don't think we can package mack in a deal because we will be in the same spot or worse.

Blackwood is not on Nico, Jack, or Bratt’s level. Goaltending is also a much more volatile position and guys consistently boom and bust like we’ve seen Blackwood do. You stick with him because you have no real choice at this point. You don’t stick with him because he’s actually playing great like Nico, Jack, and Bratt did. Blackwood is the 2nd worst starting goalie in the league this year and since the start of last year has been the 3rd worst goalie in the league. He’s been awful and is the biggest reason we suck. This is an average team getting cratered by dog shit goaltending.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Honest questions:

I’m not advocating for dealing a valuable piece for a goaltender. With that being said, Blackwoods play and numbers right now would not be difficult to replace him with any pedestrian NHL caliber goaltender. That’s not to say he can’t turn it around, but there’s certainly a concerning trend in his play right now.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I’m not advocating for dealing a valuable piece for a goaltender. With that being said, Blackwoods play and numbers right now, it would not be difficult to replace him with any pedestrian NHL caliber goaltender. That’s not to say he can’t turn it around, but there’s certainly a concerning trend in his play right now.

See I think that isn't clear, as Grubauer's trip from penthouse to outhouse shows.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Blackwood is not on Nico, Jack, or Bratt’s level. Goaltending is also a much more volatile position and guys consistently boom and bust like we’ve seen Blackwood do. You stick with him because you have no real choice at this point. You don’t stick with him because he’s actually playing great like Nico, Jack, and Bratt did. Blackwood is the 2nd worst starting goalie in the league this year and since the start of last year has been the 3rd worst goalie in the league. He’s been awful and is the biggest reason we suck. This is an average team getting cratered by dog shit goaltending.

You keep beating this drum, but you're not right. This is a young volatile team with a volatile goaltender that is learning how to play, as evidenced by Hughes's nightly giveaways that turn into 2-on-0s that your goaltender has bailed out...or not.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad