Your most pessimistic and optimistic predictions [MOD: Read OP]

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
By all accounts, this upcoming season looks to have more promise than any season before it and I'd even go as far to say that the Jets lineup has never been this deep or this talented in any of the previous seasons in Winnipeg.

What I propose in this thread is that out of all the outrageous predictions you want to make but good sense keeps you from doing so, you post the most negative and the most positive here.

Now, this ISN'T the thread for saying really stupid stuff like "STUART BECOMES OUR LEADING GOAL SCORER AND WINS TEH NORRIS TROPHY HUEHEUEHUEHUEHEU"[MOD]

I'll start (You can determine for yourself which predictions are positive and negative. Some are both)

1. [MOD]
2. Pavelec starts the season hot and battles all year long, making it impossible to replace him with whichever goalie is backing him up. This rekindles discussion about signing him as a backup for next season.
3. Scheifele, Ehlers and Laine all score 30+ goals, and Laine wins the Calder.
4. The Jumbo Jet Dogs are changed back to Nathan's Famous brand weiners, and everyone rejoices.
5. Kyle Connor doesn't make the Jets but scores 15 goals and 40 points with the Moose.
6. Burmistrov scores 15 goals this year and reverts to his + Corsi style of play, making all the fan boys desperately plead for a bargain extension.
7. Peluso never sees the ice as a Jet ever again.
8. Wheeler tallies 95 points this season and battles for the scoring lead right to the end.

Ok everyone, your turn!

This is NOT a thread where we wish for players to get injured. Not even minor injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
9. Lemieux has a fantastic camp and makes the team, causing Stafford to be traded for picks. Lemieux then scores 30 points on the 3rd/4th line.
10. Enstrom suffers a season ending injury at the start, leaving Stuart as our #2 LHD for the rest of the season.
11. Lowry looks even worse than last season and gets demoted to the Moose.
12. Hellebuyck plays so well that Pavelec is traded early to Toronto and we roll Helle/Hutch.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Sorry not sure if this is the right format. I guess i'm going to make it clear what I think are positive and negative.

Optimism:

1. [MOD]

2. Laine adjusts just fine to NHL ice and scores 25+ goals

3. Jets not only win a post-season game but advance past the first round.

4. Connor plays 70+ games and gets 30+ points.

5. Buff matches or exceeds last years points

6. Scheifele breaks the 30 goal mark, continues to improve.

Pessimism:

1. Laine has a tough time this year, lots of trouble adjusting. Toronto and Edmonton fans run rampant.

2. Connor has a hard time adjusting to NHL, sent to Moose for most of the season.

3. Strait plays for more than 1 game.

4. Hellebuyck shows promise earlier when he starts a few games but ends up playing like Hutch as time goes on.

5. Injuries to our top players. I ****ing hate injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
1. Jets win presidents trophy
2. Hellebuyck wins Vezina and Jennings
3. Jets lose second round of the playoffs
4. Hellebuyck Jerseys sell more than when Jets jerseys did when they returned to Winnipeg

I feel this is going to be a year of new and positive beginnings, so let's see... I want to do one negative thing but that would be hard because I see a good year happening.

Maybe the worst thing that happens is Connor starts with the Moose but gets the call in the Playoffs.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Optimist:

1. Kyle Connor scores 25 and wows the league with his speed. Scores a few highlight reel.
2. Laine wins the Calder with 68 points in all 82 games. Shows his dominant puck handling/shielding abilities and makes the NHL jealous.
3. (If Helle starts with the Moose) Hellebuyck records 3 straight 30+ save shutouts to start the season and forces the Jets to bring him up.
4. Morrissey makes it out of camp and Stuart is traded for a mid-round pick ~20 games into the season.

Pessimist:

1. Kyle Connor starts with the Moose and has a rough time adjusting from the easy breezy Big 10.
2. Laine struggles at the WCOH and doesn't score a point in his first 10 games. Has a hard time adjusting to NA ice.
3. Helle posts mediocre numbers in the A and Pavs is re-signed for a few years. (the darkest timeline)
4. Morrissey has a 'meh' season with the Moose and Stuart/Strait split all 82 games.

janneydraketkachuk

Jun 17, 2014
1. Jets forwards play at a top 5 pace at 5v5. Penalties and injuries among the D core make it so that they're in a race for for the final spot in playoffs.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
1. pavs extended for 2 years to run a 1A 1B with helle.
2. burmistrov continues to play like he did at the end of the year with good possession results and shows enough scoring that he is the normal 3c and several people's heads explode
3. our regular (non injured) starting 6 D will be Buff, Trouba, Myers, Enstrom, Chiarot, Stuart. Stu is still a staple of the 29th best PK.
4. Thorburn plays 10+ games on the '3rd' line.
5. Chevy makes a near trade deadline trade giving up a few highly regarded young assets for a strong D (non UFA) to position for a long playoff push
6. Ehlers scores 32 goals
7. Laine struggles in his first 20 games but finishes strong with 15 goals 20 assists (including a late season hatty). Finds great end of year chemistry with Scheif
8. Trouba plays a significant amount of time with Stu and manages to make us think that Stu may be at least a top level AHL d-man

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
1. Jets luck into the playoffs and get hot. They lose in the finals.
2. Stu gets the C along with a 4 year extension.
3. Ehlers get's the most points out of any Jet.
4. Connor doesn't make the team before Christmas.
5. Laine gets 30+ goals.
6. The Moose win the Calder Cup.
7. The amazing season results in Jets fans wanting Pav extended.
5. Burmi emerges as a high end 3C.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
- Laine struggles at first then gets more accustomed to the NHL and has a decent / good season.

- Thorburn spends more time eating popcorn than playing in games.

- Ehlers has a bit of the standard 2nd-year slump.

- Pavelec gets most of the starts this season. Just because...

- Wheels is announced as the new Captain

- Jets are fighting for a lottery pick again.

- The view from my seat will not be better.

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
Let's see:

1. Trouba cements himself as a top level Defenseman and arguably the Jets' best.

2. Laine starts slow but once he gets his feet wet, starts showing his true skill (like Ehlers)

3. Morrissey shows he can be an NHL regular.

4. Morrissey's emergence pushes Stu to the press box.

5. Comrie has a breakout season and is knocking on the door by April.

6. The Jets are back to being a bubble team but win the lottery again, giving them Nolan Patrick.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Pessimistic:

Jets miss the playoffs by a tie-breaker.

Related...

Optimistic:

They win the lottery outright, and draft #1

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Honestly, my optimist really sees a year where we have 6x20 goal scorers.

I don't know if we can tank at this point.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Optimism:
Youth movement adapts to NHL play early.
Helle starts and keeps job.
Schief continues where he left off .
Pessimism:
No discipline yet again.
Bad special teams.
Pavs extended

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
1.) Trouba nets 15g/45 pts aND becomes a Norris finalist.
2.) Scheifele nets 65pts taking 1C duties.
3.) Laine and Ehlers each net 25-30 g and Laine wins the Calder.
4.) Connor Burmi Dano become the best third line in the NHL.
5.) Maurice has a near death experience where he is in a coma and Jesus tells him that Stuart sucks and he needs to be put in the PB if the Jets ever want to win a Cup. Maurice then puts him on the top pair.
6.) Buff wins the Norris with a career year of 25g and 65pts
7.) Wheeler tops 80 points.
8.) Hellebuyck has an amazing year and back stops the Jets to the WCF.
9.) Pavelec retires and becomes the Montreal Canadians goaltending coach. Carey Price is then traded to Winnipeg at the draft for Michael Hutchinson and Jack Roslovic.
10.) Myers puts on 39lbs of muscle and becomes Chara 2.0.
11.) Auston Matthews is a bust.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Pessimistic: Pavelec wins the starting job and cruises us to 9th in the West.
Optimistic: Hellebuyck wins the starting job, starts 50 games for us, and proves that he's the real deal.

Awesometrax

Mar 15, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Pessimistic:

1. Pav and Hutch play all season, and not at 14-15 pace.

2. Defense core gets decimated, forcing us to play Stuart and Streit together for a whole month due to Morrissey not being ready still.

3. Connor and Laine have rookie growing pains and no other prospect has a breakout year.

4. Special teams no better under Kompon.

5. Position ends up being around last year's, without the lottery luck, and Maurice gets canned.

Optimistic:

1. Hellebuyck pushes out both Pav and Hutch for the starting spot, lives up to the hype.

2. Morrissey permanently supplants Stuart, giving Trouba a solid D partner, and a 5th solid defenseman to make our D core one of the league's best.

3. One or both of Laine and Connor is a legit Calder contender, another prospect (Petan?) has a breakout year, which leads to Burmistrov getting traded.

4. Special teams improves to make power play middle of the pack, and penalty kill top 10 in the league.

5. Jets move past several perennial Central contenders and nab home ice advantage in round 1, and even move past the first round before losing to the eventual cup champs.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Optimistic: We have four solid lines on offense.

Pessimistic: Pavs and Hutch don't play well while Helle is lights out in the AHL all season long.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Wheeler is optimistic

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...as-then-wheeler-ready-for-now-386863261.html?

Wheeler was asked if he’s surprised at the quick improvement in outlook in the community only midway through this off-season.

"As much as anyone, especially the older guys on our team, we felt the (disappointment), and I know that because we talked about it every single day," Wheeler said Thursday over the phone from his summer home in Florida. "Sitting on the couch after the season was over and watching the playoffs, it was a bad feeling, a really bad feeling probably this year more than any other year.

"And as it went on, the bad taste of last year started to go away, and you started to re-hash things and think about the season and about some of the guys we have, some of the young guys we have and now some more of the young guys we have, it’s kind of like, ‘OK, I get it now.’

"To answer your question, I think now certainly I do have a clear view of where we’re headed and what’s ahead of us. I’m probably more excited today than I have been at any point about what we have going forward, just from purely a talent standpoint.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Optimistic opinions:

1. Jets will make the playoffs (before drafting Laine, I thought we were 1-2 years away from the playoffs after trading Ladd. Now there is some hope with Laine + Connor + progression of Ehlers).

2. Pavelec is claimed from waivers after failing to make the team out of training camp.

3. Morrissey locks down the 2nd paring LHD spot.

3. Stuart plays less than 25 games as a 7th defenceman and is replaced by Postma.

4. Trouba is signed long term for around 5.0 million AAV.

5. Special teams improve.

Pessimistic Opinions:

1. Hellebyuck spends at least half of the year in the AHL.

2. Trouba signs a bridge deal just before the season begins.

3. Lose Armia to waivers after Thorburn/Peluso make the team.

4. Petan + Morrissey play another season in the AHL.

5. Dano sent down at the start of the season to play with the Moose.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
"Jets win President's trophy". That should have been [mod] as delusional fantasy. They finish second.

Edit: Inflict, your pessimistic predictions are scarily possible except the first one means that the Jets are winning big time as in most of their games are goalie led victories.

Last edited:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Pessimistic

Jets come out hot, scoring four goals a game and winning 70% of the first 40 games by 4-3 with pavelec in the net posting a .905 save percentage - adequately fooling management into thinking he's not terrible.

Jets goal scoring corrects to league average in the back half and the jets lost 90% of their games. Promo never moves off pavelec as they are convinced he's good cus if all the winz.

Stuart and streit are our bottom pair for the majority of the season.

We finally play our young guys over our crappy vets for the last 10 games and win them all.

We finish 21st in the league and all three lottery winners are from 16-20.

----
Optimistic

One of Stafford /Thorburn is traded prior to season and we run a young roster of actually the best players.

Garret gets hired by the jets as lead analytics guru and helps usher in a new era where the best guys get the most minutes.

Morrisey and Kichton end up as our bottom pair due to injury but play so good the jets can't break them up.

Laine and Connor both break 50 points and petan becomes a staple on the third line.

Armia has a 35 point season and finally comes into his own as a legit middle six player.

Dano locks up the 2nd/third line right wing spot with a 46 point campaign , but casual fans still hate him for no real reason.

Trouba wins the Norris playing with Buff. They become best friends and he becomes buffs nanny/child's godfather.

Scheifele cements himself as a perennial 65+ 2way center.

Oh and after a chance encounter with Chevy at the yellow dog I get hired into the scouting /analytics department by explaining the logic if basic probabilities and simple risk assessment over a couple of half-pints (Chevy drinks a pimscup)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Optimism

- After a very lousy previous season the Jets finally make the playoffs
- After impressive rookie season, which surprises everyone and even Laine himself. People start whispering about generational talent.
- In those playoffs Laine continues to show his remarkable clutch abilities and mimicks last years efforts in FEL, while finishing games on the last minutes with important goals and bringing the team back to the point, where they finally realize they are playing in the finals.

Pessimism

- Laine has trouble adjusting in the NHL rinks while the coach refuses to play him in the left-wing.
- Newly signed Trouba injures in the first games and the doctors estimate half a year recovery.
- Team undergoes a series of unexpected events which lead to total collapse of locker room harmony

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->