Your Most Memorable Moment as a Fan?

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Easily for me, watching every game of the 1st Round when Nashville swept Chicago. Man, that felt good. Didn’t really get to watch the rest of the games in the other series due to work, but the 1st Round was definitely the most memorable thing. Especially since most people were writing off Nashville to get beaten in like 5-6 games.

well I guess I did too, “but hey everyone makes mistakes” - Hannah Montana

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011

I was 11 years old at a sleep over at my buddies house when I lived in southern IL. After Domi scores to make it 5-0 early in the third we said “screw this” and switched the TV input over to the n64. We played a game of Goldeneye multiplayer and switched back to the blues game just in time to see Handzus score the 4th goal of the comeback.

Reactions: stl76

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
When I was 14 years old the Flames were playing Detroit in Game 6 of the 2nd round at home and had the lead in the series that they were massive underdogs in. Getting tickets to the playoff games was incredibly difficult during that run but I managed to snag 1, alone. I ended up going by myself as a 14 year old kid and watched them win the series 1-0 in the last minute of the first OT. Still my fondest hockey memory.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I have very fond memories of the 2008 playoffs and the Rangers/Devils series. I was a senior in high school and it was my last hurrah with the boys. We were at all the games that were at Prudential Center as I live 15 minutes away and tickets were much easier to come by than MSG. All 3 games were awesome games too. Game 5 in particular though was the most fun I've ever had at a hockey game. It's an understatement to say that the Rock was invaded that night.

Avery was so dominant and just a menace all over the ice. Callahan and Dubinsky had made their marks as players to build around. Lundqvist made a sick save on a penalty shot late in the 3rd period and was establishing himself as the best goalie in hockey.

The Prudential Center DJ even (mistakenly) played Strike It Up and Dancing Larry did his gig.

I was on cloud nine.

Much simpler times before I found this site and all the pressures of the huge expectations of the Rangers contending and failing broke me and left me jaded and bitter.

Lundqvist was never considered the best goalie in hockey though

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
For all the wrong reasons. The Toronto Maple leafs 4-1 collapse, Game 7, Boston. I remember making plans to go see the next round after Kadri made it 4-1 with 10 to go. After that I assume no lead is ever safe. You’re welcome Boston fans.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Mine is the miracle on ice in 1980. Most unbelievable hockey moment I have seen.
I doubt any hockey moment I witness can ever top it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ever? Selanne OT winner game 5 vs Detroit 2007. It was arguably the goal that won the championship. If they dropped that game they might have never made the finals.

In person, Game 5 WCF Vegas/Winnipeg watch party. I've been in Vegas 11 years and I can honestly say I've never seen my community so electrified as they were as the final ten seconds counted down to send our new team to the Finals. It wasn't the greatest hockey game I've ever watched, but the experience of standing outside in that 100+ degree heat watching our boys make history and going absolutely ballistic was an experience I'll never forget.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have two events actually.

1) 2002 Olympic Hockey Men's Gold Medal hockey game in Salt Lake City - Canada vs USA
2) 2002 Olympic Hockey Women's Gold Medal hockey game in Salt Lake City - Canada vs USA

Both games kept me on the edge of my seat and I've never cheered so hard in my life, during both games.
They were epic!

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Talbot scoring in Game 7 against Detroit (2009) to make it 2-0 or Rust scoring twice in Game 7 against Tampa (2016).

Reactions: pi314

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I wrote this up for another (non hockey) site so bear with the 'hockey-splainin'' - by far my favorite live memory

A hockey story, it takes a while to get there but the background is somewhat important...

Way back in the dark ages of the previous century the AHL came (back) to Cincinnati in the form of the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks ('97ish iirc). At the same time Detroit was without an AHL affiliate so there was an agreement to share the team between the two big clubs. This arrangement lasted about five years before Detroit bowed out & took over the Griffins (key point to the story). One would think that between the two clubs feeding the Baby Ducks their good prospects that there would be a good team. Sadly if one thought that they would be wrong, but there were lots of fun times going to the games.

Through the years quite a few players came through who later went on to have decent/good/great careers at the NHL level (along with quite a few who were just there for a cup of coffee...) - Matt Cullen, Getz & Perry (only for a couple of game though), Giguere, Lupul, Andy Mac, Shane O'Brien, Ruslan Salei, Chris Kunitz, Bylsma & even Babcock behind the bench for a couple of years. This story however deals with two others, Sean Avery & Ilya Bryzgalov - which if you know them were two of the odder characters in the NHL in the immediate post lockout era.

If you remember Avery came up with Detroit & Bryz with Anaheim, not a big deal as they were both on the same team at the time. Then 2002 arrived & the Red Wings pulled their players to staff the Griffins. Fast foward to the late part of the season & both teams were out of the playoff hunt & just trying to make it through the season.

It was a Sunday afternoon game being played by two relatively uninspiried teams. It was nice seeing a lot of familiar names out on the ice (albiet in different uniforms), but it was otherwise a boring game to watch. Many in the crowd went home & the rest were lulled into a quiet stupor. Around the middle of the third period, during a break in play, players skating around keeping loose, not much going on. All of a sudden there was a roar that shook the rafters & all eyes (now suddenly awake) snapped to the Ducks end of the ice where Bryz, still screaming in outrage, was chasing Avery all around the ice, every few strides trying to chop him in half with overhead swings of his goalie stick. He didn't catch him but they made it 3/4s of the way around the rink before the shock sort of wore off & the officials attempted to step between them...attempted. Bryz bowled over one of the linesmen & continued his chase of Avery with the other one hanging on his back. Eventually the ref joined up with the recently upended linesman & the three of them dog piled Bryz to the ice, eventually getting him calm enough to be tossed out of the game. Throughout the whole minute or two episode though, 'nobody' else moved, the remaining fans sat in shocked silence, the players all stood there slack jawed, coaches silent, the only sounds in the arena were Bryz's screams & the officials yelling at him to calm down (yeah right).

Sadly no video of this exists (YT was still 3 years away, smart phone, what the hell is that?), but the speculation was that back when they were teammates, Avery learned some 'very' personal details about Bryz's then girlfriend - perhaps not to the level of Dunlop's goading of Hanrahan in Slapshot but pretty close....

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
It was great but it happened so quickly. Not to mention it was on the road.

Henrique's had a massive amount of buildup, at home vs our biggest rival and I was there!! Also there is a huge recency bias for me.

Oh Ok, makes sense I guess if you were there. cool.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
"Long ago... In a galaxy far, far away"...
There was a playoff goal that sparked a magical run.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ray Bourque winning the cup with the Avalanche

Marc Savard's overtime winner against Philly in his first game back since the Cooke incident (I think it was his first game back anyway)

Bruins winning the cup in 2011.

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
for me as a kid growing up in Czech republic and getting into hockey in late 90´s:
1. Nagano olympic gold
2. World championship golds 99-01

as a Wings fan:
attending Hasek´s Stanley cup celebration in his hometown in 02

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
My first Red Wings game was pretty memorable.

Was late February 1998 against the Kings.

Before the game, my Dad showed me how I could print out a picture of the Stanley Cup using the this newfangled thing that made a bunch of noise on his computer called the internet. Using a magic marker, I wrote something on it about missing Fedorov and brought it to the game with me.

Once the game started, Chris Osgood let in a blue line shot from (IIRC) Jozef Stumpel 13 seconds into the 1st.... From then on the game that stayed 1-o until early in the 3rd was pretty boring to me considering I was 10Yo at the time. I can't remember why, but our bathroom and snack break during the 2nd intermission spilled into the beginning of the 3rd and I missed what would soon become a rarity... a Brent Gilchrist goal. The game ended in a 1-1 tie.

At the time, I was completely oblivious to the hoopla surrounding Fedorov's offer sheet from the Canes, so 10YO me thought it was pretty cool that Fedorov was back with the Wings a day or two after I attended that game with my 8x11 plea for him to return...

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad