Your Miracle on Ice story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I was in an Italian restaurant in Lowell, MA and they piped in the live radio feed. Every one was riveted and people leapt out of their seats when Mike E. scored.

Upon further review, the CCCP played better - but Craig was much better than the CCCP goalie who had an off day.

The game v. Finland was much better, imo: especially coming off of the emotional high.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Toxostoma Rufum said:
The game v. Finland was much better, imo: especially coming off of the emotional high.

and many don't remember that USA had to win Finland too to get the Gold. Isn't the movie "Miracle" just about the CCCP game like it was the final gold game!?

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Jokeri said:
and many don't remember that USA had to win Finland too to get the Gold. Isn't the movie "Miracle" just about the CCCP game like it was the final gold game!?

They actually have Herb Brooks (the character, not the real life person) mention at the end that they needed to beat Finland too, but it is more like an afterthought.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I was 5 years old at the time, and I can remember exactly what I was doing.

My family and I were packing to leave for Lake Placid early the next morning. We had ordered tickets for the medal round far in advance, in hopes of seeing future Flyers goalie Pelle Lindbergh play for team Sweden.

Our game ended up being USA - Finland.

We left early saturday morning, and then were in a wicked accident on the NJ Turnpike. We finally made it up to Lake Placid Saturday evening.

I can still remember sitting there watching the US/Finland game waving a mini-US flag the entire game.

After the game ended we ended up buying tickets for the Soviet-Sweden game off a scalpler. The Soviets absolutely shelled Lindbergh and the Swedes 9-2. The real key for the Soviet/Sweden game was that after the game the medals were presented ... so I was on hand to see the US accept their gold medals.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Jokeri said:
Well, the game against the Soviets was the more "significant" one for a lot more reasons than hockey.

What a GREAT story JFF!! I was 10 at the time but have a really crappy memory.

mooseOAK*

I specifically remember saying: "We will never hear the end of this".

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I was 5 years old at the time, and I can remember exactly what I was doing.

My family and I were packing to leave for Lake Placid early the next morning. We had ordered tickets for the medal round far in advance, in hopes of seeing future Flyers goalie Pelle Lindbergh play for team Sweden.

Our game ended up being USA - Finland.

We left early saturday morning, and then were in a wicked accident on the NJ Turnpike. We finally made it up to Lake Placid Saturday evening.

I can still remember sitting there watching the US/Finland game waving a mini-US flag the entire game.

After the game ended we ended up buying tickets for the Soviet-Sweden game off a scalpler. The Soviets absolutely shelled Lindbergh and the Swedes 9-2. The real key for the Soviet/Sweden game was that after the game the medals were presented ... so I was on hand to see the US accept their gold medals.

That is a great story, I wish I had such a cool family! I was at home watching the game and I made sure I didn't know the score. It was the very first time I ever cried over a hockey game. And when they showed the medal ceremony after the final game, through my tears I vowed right then and there that someday I would attend the Olympic Games as a spectator. It took 16 years and it was summer Olympics but Atlanta in 1996 was a wonderful experience. And now I'm saving for Vancouver 2010! ;)

Matt Foley*

I was 16 at the time, and I missed almost all of the hockey game because I had to play an away basketball game that night. During a timeout in the junior varsity game, the PA guy announced the final USA / USSR score and everyone in the gym went nuts. I didn't even know that the game would be finished that early since I thought it was going to be played in prime time (but it was tape-delayed instead; imagine that :shakehead ). My Dad watched the game live on Canadian television (we lived in Michigan about a half-hour's drive from Sarnia) and then drove to my game and told me about it afterwards. By the time I got home from my game, ABC was still broadcasting the hockey game, which was in the third period. I got to see the two goals the USA scored to go ahead. Even though I knew the outcome, seeing the final minutes of the game still sent chills down my spine.

I was shocked by the final score when I first heard it. I really didn't think the USA had any chance to beat them. I even told one of my teammates on the way to the game not to get their hopes up about it. In all my life, I was never so happy to be proven wrong.

Game_Misconduct

Oct 13, 2004
I was in eighth grade and we had just finished basketball practice that night. Three of my friends and I went into the teachers' lounge and called the newspaper to find out what the score was. We were all fired up when we found out we won.

I went home and watched the tape-delay broadcast of the game that night and watched the Finland game on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->