Your Mid-Season Grades

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Because A> he's 3-0, and B> he's done what he's done in a very difficult situation, seeing limited ice time.

You can't compare Montoya's sv% with Pavelec's because Montoya has faced far, far less shots.

Besides, if you are trying to measure your starting goalies performance with the same stick as your backup, you are setting yourself up for failure. Surely you can see the difference in roles and expectations, no?

Honestly, I think your first three reasons suck. :laugh: Him being the backup is really the only reason you might grade him higher despite those SV% numbers. The rest is moot really.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Because A> he's 3-0, and B> he's done what he's done in a very difficult situation, seeing limited ice time.

You can't compare Montoya's sv% with Pavelec's because Montoya has faced far, far less shots.

Besides, if you are trying to measure your starting goalies performance with the same stick as your backup, you are setting yourself up for failure. Surely you can see the difference in roles and expectations, no?

Im just saying Bro. I was told a .914 save % was average, Montoya's save % is .909 which is below averege, and yet somehow he gets an A.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'd have to give Jokinen an F. F- if that was a thing, just the worst mark on the team. He has been horrible and I liked him as a player and that the Jets signed him. I can't count the number of times he has missed the net by several feet or killed an offensive rush. Playing him on the point on the PP is why the PP is so pathetic. Wellwood, when he has been given any opportunities, has shown much more and he's still in the failing grade range.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh snap! :laugh: To be fair, you would consider him the back up so his numbers would be compared to back ups.

Im not comparing him to anyone. I was told the stats dont lie and that they are hard facts. I was told .914 was the average save % among NHL goalies, yet a goalie on our team with a .909% gets a grade of A. Seems a bit strange to me is all.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Im not comparing him to anyone. I was told the stats dont lie and that they are hard facts. I was told .914 was the average save % among NHL goalies, yet a goalie on our team with a .909% gets a grade of A. Seems a bit strange to me is all.

I understand what you're saying and there is a bit of a contradiction that some have made in regards with that. But it's a fine line that is hard to ride. In the end I think Montoya deserves a solid garde but nothing too high. He's been good and I think the most telling for him would be his GAA and how he's looked as the backup.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I understand what you're saying and there is a bit of a contradiction that some have made in regards with that. But it's a fine line that is hard to ride. In the end I think Montoya deserves a solid garde but nothing too high. He's been good and I think the most telling for him would be his GAA and how he's looked as the backup.

I agree, Montoya has been very good in his games. I just had to make my point about what has been said in regards to our goaltending. Id give both of our goalies a solid B.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Andrew Ladd A+
Blake Wheeler B
Evander Kane A
Bryan Little B
Tobias Enstrom - incomplete
Dustin Byfuglien A
Nik Antropov C
Ron Hainsey B
Olli Jokinen C-
Grant Clitsome D
Alexander Burmistrov D
Paul Postma C-
Kyle Wellwood D
Zach Bogosian B
Jim Slater C
Chris Thorburn D
Mark Stuart C
Eric Tangradi C-
James Wright B
Ondrej Pavelec B-
Al Montoya B

Overall

Played for the Jets, but most likely incomplete grade:
Zach Redmond
Anthony Peluso
Antti Miettinen
Mark Scheifele - Hey, remember all of those people that repeatedly said here that the Jets should have taken Sean Couturier due his supposed supreme defensive acumen? Had a good season last year but as of today he is a minus 8 this year on a disappointing Flyers team and looks absolutely lost on the ice at times. Meanwhile, Scheif is progressing on schedule in junior. Credit to the Jets management for their patience.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I would also give Olli an 'F'. Brought in to be a 2nd line, potential 1st line center, he has produced barely 3rd line numbers while being a team-worst -12. Despite getting a ton of PP time he has 0 PP goals. Not spectacular defensively either. Large salary hit. Bigger disappointment than Ponikarovsky was even. I am so sad, I was extremely optimistic about his signing.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I would also give Olli an 'F'. Brought in to be a 2nd line, potential 1st line center, he has produced barely 3rd line numbers while being a team-worst -12. Despite getting a ton of PP time he has 0 PP goals. Not spectacular defensively either. Large salary hit. Bigger disappointment than Ponikarovsky was even. I am so sad, I was extremely optimistic about his signing.

Pretty much my thoughts.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Mark Scheifele - Hey, remember all of those people that repeatedly said here that the Jets should have taken Sean Couturier due his supposed supreme defensive acumen? Had a good season last year but as of today he is a minus 8 this year on a disappointing Flyers team and looks absolutely lost on the ice at times. Meanwhile, Scheif is progressing on schedule in junior. Credit to the Jets management for their patience.

You cant be serious, do you expect a 20 year old guy to carry the Flyers?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
The Jets have a much better record this season on the road and in back-to-back games because they are a much more physically challenging (read as bigger) opponent in my view. Some of that credit should go to Jokinen I believe, given that he is filling a space that was once taken up by smaller players such as Stapler and Burmistrov. I actually like a lot of the work he has done on the forecheck and down low (aside from last night) and believe he'd have a few more points if he was regularly playing with someone that was actually capable of dishing him the puck on occasion. Maybe he deserves a failing grade due his lack of points but his position also requires a lot of work that goes unnoticed/uncredited. They'd be a weaker team down the middle without him IMO and that is why I didn't grade him quite as harshly.

OmarComin

Jan 8, 2012
Andrew Ladd A+
Blake Wheeler B+
Evander Kane A
Bryan Little B
Tobias Enstrom B+
Dustin Byfuglien B+
Nik Antropov C
Ron Hainsey C+
Olli Jokinen D
Grant Clitsome D
Alexander Burmistrov C+
Paul Postma D
Kyle Wellwood F
Zach Bogosian B
Jim Slater C+
Chris Thorburn D-
Mark Stuart C+
Eric Tangradi D+
James Wright C+
Ondrej Pavelec C+
Al Montoya B+

Penalty Kill D+
Power Play C-

Claude Noel D+
Kevin Cheveldayoff C

Overall C+

Played for the Jets, but most likely incomplete grade:
Zach Redmond B
Anthony Peluso C+
Antti Miettinenm C+
Mark Scheifele D+

An average team should get average grades... But I like where were headed and feel these grade will be better by the end of the season.

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
You cant be serious, do you expect a 20 year old guy (Sean Couturier) to carry the Flyers?

Of course we don't expect a 20 yr old to carry the Flyers. It's just that there seems to be some obsessive compulsive need by many to trash Scheifele and Chevy and declaring Couturier a soon to be superstar on an elite Team. I hear over and over how we should have drafted Couturier and Chevy made a huge mistake. Now that the Flyers are a mediocre team, Couturier also looks to be very ordinary.

Scheifele however, looks to be developing nicely and is looking to me to be the better pick. It will take a few years to determine who is the better player.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The Jets have a much better record this season on the road and in back-to-back games because they are a much more physically challenging (read as bigger) opponent in my view. Some of that credit should go to Jokinen I believe, given that he is filling a space that was once taken up by smaller players such as Stapler and Burmistrov. I actually like a lot of the work he has done on the forecheck and down low (aside from last night) and believe he'd have a few more points if he was regularly playing with someone that was actually capable of dishing him the puck on occasion. Maybe he deserves a failing grade due his lack of points but his position also requires a lot of work that goes unnoticed/uncredited. They'd be a weaker team down the middle without him IMO and that is why I didn't grade him quite as harshly.

I wouldn't bet on it, considering he has contributed a grand total of 1 point in 63 minutes on the PP.

To me, he's just a complete waste of space right now. He's a laughable -12, doesn't play on the PK, doesn't contribute on the PP, has as many points as Burmistrov (who people keep saying has no offense at all) despite having played almost 50 minutes more than him on the PP...

Someone who's better with stats can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say that he's one of the weakest part of our team, and is probably being exploited by the opposition, rather than being a player that's tough to play against. Right now, IMO, he's a bottom 6 player that doesn't play good D.

I like Olli, despite him being a Finn, and was excited that we picked him up, but I can honestly not see a single reason why he would get a passing grade right now.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Of course we don't expect a 20 yr old to carry the Flyers. It's just that there seems to be some obsessive compulsive need by many to trash Scheifele and Chevy and declaring Couturier a soon to be superstar on an elite Team. I hear over and over how we should have drafted Couturier and Chevy made a huge mistake. Now that the Flyers are a mediocre team, Couturier also looks to be very ordinary.

Scheifele however, looks to be developing nicely and is looking to me to be the better pick. It will take a few years to determine who is the better player.

Well said.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
You cant be serious, do you expect a 20 year old guy to carry the Flyers?

You can't be serious; I didn't make that claim.

What I was essentially saying is that it appears in my own view that the Jets may have made the correct choice between the two and that it will be proven over time. You are certainly entitled to believe otherwise. Carry on.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Jokinen has been the biggest disappointment in my mind. He was brought in to be a stop gap for Schief and Burmi(meaning they wont have to be relied on) and play at least the 2nd line center spot with potentially being the #1 guy and is playing like a 3rd line center without the style you'd want out of a 3rd liner. That's disappointing.

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site

What I was essentially saying is that it appears in my own view that the Jets may have made the correct choice between the two and that it will be proven over time. You are certainly entitled to believe otherwise. Carry on.

Yipper!!. Re-read your earlier post and I took your comments out of context. My apologies. You and I actually have the same opinion.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
i don't understand how anyone can grade the PK any higher than a C. yes it's been great lately, but we're 2nd last in the league.

Also, Clitsome is playing on the top pair, way over his skill level, and other than a few bonehead mistakes, he's been decent. How he's getting some of these D's is beyond my understanding. It's also why I graded Hainsey comparatively high (due to my dislike of his play). He's asked to play more minutes and tougher match ups than he should, so it's to be expected he doesn't always perform as well as we'd hope.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
i don't understand how anyone can grade the PK any higher than a C. yes it's been great lately, but we're 2nd last in the league.

Also, Clitsome is playing on the top pair, way over his skill level, and other than a few bonehead mistakes, he's been decent. How he's getting some of these D's is beyond my understanding. It's also why I graded Hainsey comparatively high (due to my dislike of his play). He's asked to play more minutes and tougher match ups than he should, so it's to be expected he doesn't always perform as well as we'd hope.

The reason our pk is still so low despite playing really well lately is because we don't take penalties. Overall we are a fairly disciplined team and I contribute that mostly to the coaching staff.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I'd have to give Jokinen an F. F- if that was a thing, just the worst mark on the team. He has been horrible and I liked him as a player and that the Jets signed him. I can't count the number of times he has missed the net by several feet or killed an offensive rush. Playing him on the point on the PP is why the PP is so pathetic. Wellwood, when he has been given any opportunities, has shown much more and he's still in the failing grade range.

Agree with this. Joker has been one of, if not the, greatest free agent signing bust of the 2012 off-season. And don't get me started on those shots missing the net!:rant:

Wellwood would get an F too.

Antro, Thorburn, Burmi, Pavs range from D- to D+.

On the positive side, Ladd with an A+, Kane with an A, Buff with a B+, enstrom with a B+, Wheeler with a B, Little with a B-, Hainsey with a B-, Montoya with a B.

Rest are C+ to C-.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Im sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying. Its just thats how what you said came across to me.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thanks to Holden for (without his knowing) let me borrow his template so I could do less work :)

Andrew Ladd A+
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
1.591 | 3.3 | 2.94
What can I say? His personal SH% is unsustainable in long-term but the Jets' shooting percentage when he's on the ice is stable so his point-production seems very legit and he's done everything right and what you could ask for the guy. Last season his current pace would make him 3rd in the league for even strength points relative to his TOI. He's beating competition even though both Little and Wheeler seem a little weaker defensively. Last season LLW and GST split the top-line match-ups but this season Noel has been leaning almost exclusively and very extensively on LLW.

Bryan Little B+
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
1.791 | -3.4 | 1.91
Good: Never in his career has Little had better even strength production than this, while facing the toughest of match-ups of his career.
Bad: Never in his career has Little been out-chanced by his opponents or have negative possession numbers... until now. Little's usually one of the stronger PP point players on the team, but we all know how the Jets' PP is going.
I still think this guy is a top-notch RWer, and found his best production and moments were on the wing. If we can end up with two top end C or even just two high-end 2C, we can have our wings set with Ladd, Kane, Little and Wheeler.

Blake Wheeler B+
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
1.604 | -4.0 | 2.56
He hasn't stood out as much as last year... even though he's scoring points like a brutal force. His defensive numbers have gone down, which matches the eye test as he seems to be struggling to get the puck out of the zone and gain his stride like he was last season.

Evander Kane A-
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
0.360 | 7.5 | 2.48
Kane is being far less sheltered than last season. His goal scoring is consistent to last season and his primary assist production has nearly doubled... too bad barely any secondary assists or his point production would be similar to Ladd, but you don't have much control on that. Leading the league in shots on goal shows that this should be the Kane we see for a long while, and good. I dearly hope that one day either a) Kane figures out how to work a PP or b) Jets' learn how to use Kane on a PP, because right now he scores goals at even strength like the best of them and could be a regular top10 goalscorer if he learns the PP.

Olli Jokinen D
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-0.670 | 1.8 | 0.61
Believe it or not, Jokinen is scoring goals at even strength at about the same rate per minute as he has over the last 4 seasons. Also, Jokinen is (barely) out-chancing his opponent which is rare for him. Problem is he can't seem to setup anything... He has almost no PP production being the QB there and has yet to get a single primary or secondary assist at 5v5. Hopefully this changes soon or we're going to have 1x2C (Little) and 4x3C (Antro, Joki, Welly, Burmi).
I honestly don't think he's bad enough that he'll be without 5v5 assists forever, and as the Jets' PP comes together (which last few games have looked way better) he should be notching some poitns there... but until then, D.

Alexander Burmistrov C+
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
0.440 | 10.1 | 1.40
Noel obviously defensively trusts the kid, as no matter which line he's on (2nd or 3rd) becomes the line to get the toughest match-ups after LLW. It's worked well too, as almost every player has had better possession and outchanced their opponents when with Burmistrov. Currently Wright and Burmistrov are the only players with more takeways than giveaways in the team's middle 6.
Unfortunately the offense still isn't coming as he still isn't doing all the things he needs to do in the offensive zone. It has improved, but it needs to be more. I'm hoping for somewhere of a 1.60-1.75 P/60 for him (ROR's numbers last season).
He get's compared to ROR at times, so looking at O`Reilly's even strength numbers last year... Burmistrov has scored more goals per minute of icetime thus far, but he needs to pick up the assists and learn how to use and set-up Kane a bit better to make that jump.

Eric Tangradi D
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-1.242 | -2.0 | 0.00
Ponikarovsky
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
0.742 | 0.7 | 1.43
Ponikarovsky was, and is better. :)
OT + PS: I'm fine if Burmistrov get's traded but I hope it's not for a downgrade like this or we watch as Burmistrov starts getting his game together away from us.

Nik Antropov C
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
0.813| 0.7 | 1.24
He'll always be a streak goal scorer as he's a pick his shots kind of guy. His personal Sh% is hurting him but man I really wish that Jokinen and Wellwood turned out like they should have, so we'd our USSR line still going. He's still setting up more goals than anyone not named Kane or Little, with having the 3rd best primary assist production.

Kyle Wellwood C-
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-0.270| 12.0 | 0.67
This guy was supposed to be a point producer under sheltered minutes while pushing the play forward for guys with bad possession like Jokinen. Well he's done the later quite well, with best possession numbers on the team, but the former he's has halve the points per minute as Burmistrov...
You need two things to win games: maximize your chances (and score) and minimize theirs. Welwood is getting the second done but he needs both or you'll be seeing him play in Europe next season.

James Wright B-
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-1.385| -7.3 | 0.36
The guy was a great find for the 4th line and with Slater is 2/3 of a 4th line I'd want... problem is Jokinen and Wellwood's underperformance has sent players into positions of responsibility over where you'd want (Burmistrov, Wright, Peluso, and Wright)... although in those two guys defense the Jets' shooting percentage with them on the ice has been well under average and in an 82 game season would (usually) jump up.

Jim Slater C+
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-0.791| -18.2 | 0.67
The other 4th liner I like. He's a good goal scorer for a 4th liner, as long as you have someone there to set him up (maybe Peluso + Wright in time). As a FO specialist who is shoved into the D-zone he'll never have good possession numbers, but does the dirty work to help others.

Chris Thorburn F
It's not even worth showing his stats because you know what he is. He's a nice guy whose value is all in his intangibles, except with the problem that his intangibles never seem to end with the results that help the team win... I hope Peluso can madly upgrade this dude.

Tobias Enstrom A-
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-0.407| -13.5 | 1.59
Amazing offensive production in even strength and PP... but oh man did his defensive fall down hard defensively when Bogosian and Byfuglien were both out. HARD. Understandable since Hainsey is a #4 on a team that rolls 2 pairs, but instead Enstrom-Hainsey were being used hard like they were Suter-Weber...

Dustin Byfuglien A-
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
0.973 | -2.8 | 0.75
I feel mean giving Enstrom and Byfuglien minus' as really, neither would be if they had spent the whole season together, but oh well. Offensive dynamite and much better defensively over last season. Luckily for him, when Enstrom was injured Bogosian returned so he's gone to the second pair as Bogosian-Hainsey are taking all the tough minutes... so his numbers haven't quite colapsed in Enstrom fashion as at least we have three of our top 4 instead of two.

Ron Hainsey B--
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
1.486 | -18.8 | 0.77
Those aren't good results... but similar to Slater, whatchya gonna expect? The guy is being leaned heavily as a defenseman possibly could when really he's not Weber...
Second minus was for his butt.

Zach Bogosian B-
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
2.402 | -2.7 | 1.02
Still small sample sizes for him. I'll agree with Holden that he hasn't been as dominate as last season, but that's unfortunately the case when you have a D structure that needs it's top4 to be healthy.

Mark Stuart C
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-0.791| -18.2 | 0.67
For a guy that I **** on a lot last season he's done a lot better. He's still no top 4 guy, but this season he's been an OK bottom pair. He brings grit and determination. He still gets out of position at times for blocks and hits but I'd say less than last season.
One complaint I do have is: oh god is he terrible with the puck. With Ladd and Kane being our two top players, the puck ends up on the left-side quite often, and when it get's cycled back to the D... it seems to be Stuart WAY too often... and he's terrible with it. I'm surprised he even has his one goal.

Paul Postma B-
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-1.381 | 20.4 | 0.71
I think he's done well for a rookie. He's brought a lot of offense and has killed weak match-ups. As long as he stays sheltered this season he should be good.

Grant Clitsome C
QoC | RelCorsi | P/60
-0.440 | 6.3 | 0.98
He screws up at times and he does well at times. What you'd expect from a depth defenseman. Too bad the Jets' seem to have no luck keeping their top4 healthy.

Ondrej Pavelec C
Ondrej Pavelec's report card would look similar to my high school report card... Lots of fails but some amazing marks.
Hopefully he becomes like me and eventually removes all those fails as he gets wiser :D
Last game looked promising of that.

Al Montoya B-
Small sample size, so really I'd might incomplete him also, but he seems to do ok for a back up. Really all I wanted from him was good enough numbers to push Pavelec, which so far has been the case.

Last edited:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Andrew Ladd A
Blake Wheeler B
Evander Kane A+
Bryan Little B
Tobias Enstrom B
Dustin Byfuglien B
Nik Antropov D