Your happiest sports memory

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For Jets 2.0 my best memory is our first playoff game seeing the whiteout on TV.
As far as all of sports, coming from a baseball family, I think my favourite memory is when Joe Carter hit the walk off home run in the 93' World Series. I remember being in the living room with my old man jumping up and down with my ball glove in my hand.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Just out of curiosity (especially for us fans who didn't get to experience the 1.0 good times) whats your favorite memory as a Jets sports fan? Favorite moment outside of the Jets?

Being at the Jets game when Teemu broke the record and threw his glove up in the air was my fave Jets 1.0 memory.

Fave sports memories: Winning a junior hockey championship and getting playoff MVP, always fun winning anything. Playing Pro hockey in Europe.

But most of all, meeting all the great people and making new friends in all the hockey different hockey teams I played for here and abroad, made great friends and always kept in touch with these people!

edit: Not sure if I did that right? So, I too will add Blue Jays as a fave memory, Alomar's homer vs the A's in that playoff run was one I remember, my mom let me eat supper in the living room that night, and my dad and I loved every minute of it.

Canada gold in Vancouver Olympics is up there too. Brought the country together.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Being at the Jets game when Teemu broke the record and threw his glove up in the air was my fave Jets 1.0 memory.

Fave sports memories: Winning a junior hockey championship and getting playoff MVP, always fun winning anything. Playing Pro hockey in Europe.

But most of all, meeting all the great people and making new friends in all the hockey different hockey teams I played for here and abroad, made great friends and always kept in touch with these people!

edit: Not sure if I did that right? So, I too will add Blue Jays as a fave memory, Alomar's homer vs the A's in that playoff run was one I remember, my mom let me eat supper in the living room that night, and my dad and I loved every minute of it.

Canada gold in Vancouver Olympics is up there too. Brought the country together.

Very interesting Puck. I take it by your username and avatar you were a goalie.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Nothing beats being a champion.
For the Jets it's winning the Avco Cup 3 times in 4 years.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Henderson's goal to win the Summit Series in Game 8.

I was at the old barn for Ellet's 2OT goal. I have never heard anywhere so loud.

Personal was being in a one game knockout for 1st place in a table tennis tourney and being down 18-12 with me starting serves. End of my serves was 18-17 and I won 18-21 for first place. I had come on 2nd place in about 5 tourneys before this one and I didn't want to take 2nd again.
Jets 2.0 was the Jets making the playoffs and haveing an NHL playoff game in Winnipeg again.

White Out 403*

Favourite Jets memory from 1.0 Would be listening to the team on the radio at night when I was supposed to be in bed. Listening to Curt Keilback and picturing the game going on in my head. It seemed so much bigger and larger than life. I used to imagine all the exotic cities the Jets would visit and wonder what it was like. Chicago may as well been across the galaxy to me. Boston? Los Angeles?? I was memorized by it all. I can still picture my old alarm clock and staring into it... listening to Curt talk about a great save by Essensa or a big shot by Dave Manson. Magic.

Favourite non Jets memory Would be when the Bombers beat the Argos in the East final in Winnipeg. This would have been.. god, sometime in the 80s or maybe 1990. I'd have to check wiki. But anyways it was a fantastic afternoon and they let the fans on the field to exit the stadium. I thought I was walking on holy ground. A close 2nd place would be Croatia nearly going to the final in France 98. Going into that tourney I was talking on and on about how great Croatia would be and all my friend had no idea about this newly free nation, and no clue how good our players were. Davor Sukor was a machine, and enjoying the games with my Dad was something else.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
My favorite Jets 2.0 moment was their first pre-season game against Columbus.

My favorite moment outside of the Jets was celebrating Crosby's Golden Goal.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Mine is getting thrown out of the divisional track meet because by prancing through my hurdles heat dive rolling over each hurdle. Last place, over 30s+ clocking. Grade 9. I seemed worth it at the time. My friend ran the 400m backwards. He got kicked out as well.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
We all seem to share many of the same memories. Definitely Crosby's goal and the Blue Jays first World Series win are unforgettable moments. Ellett's goal is right up there as well as Selanne's entire rookie season.
I barely remember Paul Henderson's goal as I was very young but I remember the feeling of being part of something magical.
I also remember the first season of Hedberg, Hull and Nillson together and listening to Ken Nicholson call the games on the radio. Great memories.
And for the weirdest memory, I remember when the Olympics came to Canada for the first time in 1976 and Greg Joy winning a silver in the high jump.

rymr66

Jun 6, 2011
winnipeg
like a lot of people, i'm sure, my favourite jets' 2.0 memory is my first jets game -

it was a long day - it started in anyang, south korea, home of the anyang halla, a professional hockey team playing in the Asian Hockey League (that has a polar bear as a logo on its jersey - i wore this jersey to my first game)

- i worked it out so i could end my contract early so i could go to this game, missed my last day of work because i was at the bar until 6 am the night before for my going away party, when i boarded my flight they stopped me and asked me if i was drunk, i told them i was drunk last night and that now i was just hungover, they let me get on the plane

22 hours later i arrived in winnipeg - my friend picked me up at the airport and drove me straight to the game - it was against boston and started early so we missed the first period

when i arrived it was still 0 - 0 and burmistrov, (i already owned a burmistrov jersey - ok, yes, now i regret it) scored the first goal of the game

the jets won, and it was the first time they had won a game all season, on the back end of a back and back

i won't lie, i cried a little when i saw my first goal - after 1996, i never thought i'd see a team in the nhl called the winnipeg jets, ever play again

go jets go!!!

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
Favorite Jets 1.0 memory is the Night Teemu broke Mike Bossy's rookie goal record, that whole season and him was so intense and fun all the way up to that night.

Favorite Jets 2.0: That has to be opening night against the Habs the electricity in the building was intense ( rivaled only by the first Playoff game) and of course being on Coach's Corner with Ron and Don at the intermission was a Highlight of my entire life, not just sports memories.

Non Jets would be Crosby's golden goal.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Favorite Jets 1.0 memory is the Night Teemu broke Mike Bossy's rookie goal record, that whole season and him was so intense and fun all the way up to that night.

Favorite Jets 2.0: That has to be opening night against the Habs the electricity in the building was intense ( rivaled only by the first Playoff game) and of course being on Coach's Corner with Ron and Don at the intermission was a Highlight of my entire life, not just sports memories.

Non Jets would be Crosby's golden goal.

You were on Coaches Corner? :amazed:

Favourite Jets 2.0 would probably be the first game against Montreal or the first playoff game.

Favourite sports probably would be some tennis championship (been following tennis closely for a long time). Crosby's Olympic goal would be up there as well.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mine is getting thrown out of the divisional track meet because by prancing through my hurdles heat dive rolling over each hurdle. Last place, over 30s+ clocking. Grade 9. I seemed worth it at the time. My friend ran the 400m backwards. He got kicked out as well.

This just has a Monty Python vibe to it......had me laughing thinking of John Clease on the hurdles and maybe Michael Palin doing the silly walk 400 backwards. Would have paid money to watch this track event.....somebody out there saw this and is still telling the story.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Tough choice between beating the Flames to win our first (and only) NHL playoff series and Ellett's OT winner (which I was there for)

Super tough choice for non Jets related.

Bombers '84 Grey Cup, ending the first drought.
'87 Canada Cup
Kirby Puckett homering in the bottom of the 9th of Game 6 of the '91 WS to send it to game 7.
Twins winning Game 7
First Gold in 50 years in '02
Crosby's golden goal.

Too many.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Watching my 9 year old granddaughter score the winning goal in the last game of the season. One timer off the face-off, 2 seconds on the clock. Nothing is ever going to beat that in my life!

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Going to a Jets game, even though it was a loss. Awesome feeling just being there.

Non Jets wise, winning the Rugby World Cup in 2011 on home soil after not winning since 87. The whole vibe of the tournament was amazing.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets: Our goal in the First game of Jets 2.0. Payed $500 to a scalper for a 3rd row ticket on an isle behind the net an hour before the game and my angle must have been perfect to see the puck squirt to Antropov. Was against the glass before the puck went in and will never forget it.

Sports: I'm a 20 something Bomber fan so a lot of memories from Can Ad Inns growing up. My dad and I bonded and grew closer over the Bombers. Still call him after every game, win or lose, no matter where we are. People have been relentless in harping on the Bombers in recent years (sometimes for good reason, sometimes not) but there's something really special to me about that team.

Favorite memories might have been going early to the games with my dad and throwing the football around in the south end zone and then watching the warmups from the edge of the turf. Also remember throwing the ball around on the field after games. Lots of fun watching Khari Jones sling it around in his prime. Milt's 4 TD game, the comeback vs BC in 2010, East final in 2011 are all great memories but nothing will compare to when they win the Grey Cup. Hasn't happened in my lifetime and don't know when it will be but it's going to be something really special and I hope it'll bring back some of the passion that has been lost over the last number of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad