Your greatest players in franchise history

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Simon was the one who had his gloves glued on. Not sure whether it was the coaching, or maybe he started thinking he was a skill guy after putting up points on Oates's wing, but he had very few memorable fights here. He was a big disappointment coming from Colorado, at least for me.

Good points. I used to think his shoulder was oft injured and couldn't take the inevitable falls when fighting. Also, he didn't seemed to get clearly challenged often while here.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Pretty surreal that basically the only all-time Caps great forwards that would compete (skill-wise) for top spots on the current team are basically Bondra, Gartner and Oates. And prime Semin, haha.

I doubt there's another team of ~similar tenure that you could say that about. Some good all-time D men, though.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty surreal that basically the only all-time Caps great forwards that would compete (skill-wise) for top spots on the current team are basically Bondra, Gartner and Oates. And prime Semin, haha.

I doubt there's another team of ~similar tenure that you could say that about. Some good all-time D men, though.

Thank you David Poile....

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Good points. I used to think his shoulder was oft injured and couldn't take the inevitable falls when fighting. Also, he didn't seemed to get clearly challenged often while here.

His shoulders were a mess for a while, that played into it. He was also infamous for making butt checks due that. When he first arrived he was a top 5/10 heavy, then injuries and such happened. Was also coaching, IIRC when that was going on Wilson was in full song with his “turn the other cheek and we’ll beat ‘em on the power play” song and dance.

Kordic was great, a patented Poile shake up trade. Team was undefeated when he dressed, 6-0-1 I think? Kordic and early Simon were two of the best heavys Caps had. Never saw Randy Holt, so have no frame of reference on him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Bengt Gustafsson had the skills. He sometimes reluctance to shoot was disappointing. His puck handling and passing was pretty ridiculous though.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Pretty surreal that basically the only all-time Caps great forwards that would compete (skill-wise) for top spots on the current team are basically Bondra, Gartner and Oates. And prime Semin, haha..

I'd put prime Mike Knuble over Semin.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I remember hearing Kordic ODed and thinking back to his fights with a better understanding of what coke was probably like.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Ovechkin

Holtby

Backstrom

Gartner

Stevens

Ridley

Bondra

Langway

Kuznetsov

Carlson

- I move Kolzig out of my top 10. Looking at everything - he was just a good goalie. Not great. Average career for a starting goalie.

I do have 5 active guys - but they’re all so good. Oates is out too just bc he didn’t play enough as a Cap IMO

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
1. Ovechkin
2. Langway
3. Backstrom
4. Bondra
5. Kolzig
6. Holtby
7. Gartner
8. Stevens
9. Kuznetsov
10. Carlson

Maybe it's early for Kuznetsov and Carlson but I think by the time they are done they could be higher.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Cue the Semin fan club. Everyone has their favorites. I have a hard time putting a player on a greats list when his teammates questioned his heart, but would likely begrudgingly have him there because of a early sad franchise history with few great options.

Pure talent-wise, he’s there no doubt. He could have been so much more if he had Ovy’s heart.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Semin was awesome to watch.... until he became a fat cat. He was pretty scrappy for a high skill guy - reminds me of Kuz.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wanted to bring up Dave Christian. He was a primary on the great 80s Caps team. He was the Caps connection to the 1980 USA Olympic team and had all his best years as a Capital.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Agree that Bengt merits consideration as someone who could hang with the current crew. And Dino Cicarelli would have been awesome with Ovie and Kuzy - rebounds galore!

Reactions: calicapsfan

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
@SpinningEdge: Kolzig took Bondra and bunch of nobodies to the '98 SC Finals. Almost singlehandedly. Maybe you didn't see him play, but make no mistake: he was a GREAT goalie, not just a good one.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
@SpinningEdge: Kolzig took Bondra and bunch of nobodies to the '98 SC Finals. Almost singlehandedly. Maybe you didn't see him play, but make no mistake: he was a GREAT goalie, not just a good one.
Oates and Gonchar were very good players on that team, and they didn't beat any of the top 8 teams that year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wanted to bring up Dave Christian. He was a primary on the great 80s Caps team. He was the Caps connection to the 1980 USA Olympic team and had all his best years as a Capital.

One of my earliest favorite Caps.

Last edited:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

I did see him play - granted most was end of career.

Barely .900 save percentage. 303-297-87 record. Granted he was on some bad teams - but he was a all star just twice in his career.

That’s not a bad career at all... but not good enough for top 10 IMO. We are talking Hall of Famers for a lot of my list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad