Your greatest players in franchise history

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
Speaking of Dale Hunter, I know he's near universally loved around these parts, but do those that do love him just ignore the Pierre Turgeon thing? I'm honestly asking.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Speaking of Dale Hunter, I know he's near universally loved around these parts, but do those that do love him just ignore the Pierre Turgeon thing? I'm honestly asking.
I don’t think anyone ignores it. It was brutal and he deserved the consequences which obviously include never being considered for the HOF. But it doesn’t negate his career in its entirety. He was the heart and soul of this franchise for a decade and scored one of the most important goals in team history.

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
I don’t think anyone ignores it. It was brutal and he deserved the consequences which obviously include never being considered for the HOF. But it doesn’t negate his career in its entirety. He was the heart and soul of this franchise for a decade and scored one of the most important goals in team history.

Oh yeah, definitely not saying not to include him as one of the greatest Caps ever. He is. I was just was curious about other fans thoughts about that incident. I could have framed the question much better than that.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Oh yeah, definitely not saying not to include him as one of the greatest Caps ever. He is. I was just was curious about other fans thoughts about that incident. I could have framed the question much better than that.

No worries. It was horrible. He disgraced himself. But it was a function of his passion and the frustration we all shared.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
My list is going to be skewed towards the 2018 Caps, and deservedly so. (eg. does TJ Oshie even compare to a Mike Gartner as player?
Of course not, but TJ won a Cup with the Caps, Gartner did not)

Top 5 is academic:
1. Ovechkin
2. Holtby
3. Backstrom
4. Kolzig
5. Bondra

After that a little trickier:
6. Langway
7. Kuznetsov
8. Carlson
9. Stevens (yeah his career was pretty much split between DC and NJ, and he obviously had more success with Jersey, but
he was arguably a better and more explosive player when he was with the Caps)
10. TJ Oshie

HM: DSP (Playoff Hero), Sergei Gonchar (probably the best defenseman the Caps have ever had after Langway).

Reactions: RandyHolt

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
A case can be made for Oshie as the 2nd best Cap of all time. In 8 playoff series, he’s had 4 or more points every series, never went 2 series in a row without a game winner, 3rd all time in postseason gpg after Ovy and Bondra minimum 35 games, 4th all time postseason ppg minmum 35 games after Ovy, Juneau, and Gartner (under 4 points in 3 of 9 series in highest scoring era, 1 postseason gwg as Cap), terrific penalty killer, underrated defensive player, and such a strong leader Orpik says he’s a leader.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
A case can be made for Oshie as the 2nd best Cap of all time. In 8 playoff series, he’s had 4 or more points every series, never went 2 series in a row without a game winner, 3rd all time in postseason gpg after Ovy and Bondra minimum 35 games, 4th all time postseason ppg minmum 35 games after Ovy, Juneau, and Gartner (under 4 points in 3 of 9 series in highest scoring era, 1 postseason gwg as Cap), terrific penalty killer, underrated defensive player, and such a strong leader Orpik says he’s a leader.
Nice!

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
It was pretty obvious after watching the Caps Stanley Cup Blu-Ray that, yeah, Oshie is definetly one of their leaders.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I can't stand Hunter. Hated him when he played for the Nordiques. Always thought he was a player that crossed the line. When he was here I started to like him but I lost any respect I gained for him after the Turgeon incident. It was embarrassing and disrespectful. He took out his frustrations well after Sturgeon scored on a play that Hunter coughed up the puck.
I hated the trade when we made it. I think we got Hunter and Malarchuck and gave up Gaetan Duschene, Alan Haworth and a first round pick. That first round picked was Joe Sakic. Ouch that one hurt. What a bad trade.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hunter brought heart and soul like this franchise had never had until he arrived. He did some embarrassing things, but he was from a different era where lots of dirty stuff was the norm.

Bad trade....oh brother...spoken like a true Hunter hater.

There was zero evidence the Caps would have selected Sakic with that pick. They were shit at drafting forwards largely then.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
The unfortunate thing about the Turgeon incident was that Hunter led the Caps in goals (7) and points (8), him and Iafrate (6 goals) were the only guys that really scored that 6 game series. The rest of the offense struggled.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hunter brought heart and soul like this franchise had never had until he arrived. He did some embarrassing things, but he was from a different era where lots of dirty stuff was the norm.

Bad trade....oh brother...spoken like a true Hunter hater.

There was zero evidence the Caps would have selected Sakic with that pick. They were **** at drafting forwards largely then.
Yes I am a true Hunter hater. He was an embarrassment to this organization.
I'm not saying we would have drafted Joe Sakic but we would have had the opportunity. I'm sure the Caps knew they made a mistake. Maybe that's why they drafted Brian Sakic in a later draft. Hoping to make up for it. Too bad Brian Sakic had the legal issues in junior. I'm sure that hurt his hockey career.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am fine with Hunter - he paid his dues for the hit what with the record suspension. He crossed the line and it was clearly frustration talking. But like with many of the things we see in hockey, we turn a blind eye when its our own players more than other teams.

Now Players gets boarded and concussed probably weekly, and few seem to care. Unless Willy is involved of course.

Reactions: 32hunter

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

I agree with all this, but I just think tenure has to matter when we're talking about all time greatest Capitals. In this regard, Oshie can climb the ranks just by being a decent member of the team for more years.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I agree with all this, but I just think tenure has to matter when we're talking about all time greatest Capitals. In this regard, Oshie can climb the ranks just by being a decent member of the team for more years.
I wouldn't really put him 2 but I would currently him 8 behind
Ovechkin
Langway
Bondra
Kolzig
Holtby
Gonchar
Backstrom

with Kuzy and Carlson possibly passing him in future.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

It's really hard to put him ahead of Backstrom. Nick will pretty much retire as the undisputed #2 in Caps history.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I wouldn't really put him 2 but I would currently him 8 behind
Ovechkin
Langway
Bondra
Kolzig
Holtby
Gonchar
Backstrom

with Kuzy and Carlson possibly passing him in future.

It's really hard to put him ahead of Backstrom. Nick will pretty much retire as the undisputed #2 in Caps history.
Yeah I wouldn’t really put him that high I just paid too much for this Oshie puck and wanted to type nice things about him. But Backstrom is a one time all star and the Caps have 5 guys who have won legit postseason awards and Gonchar was a 2 time postseason all star and was probably the best player on a team that made the finals. If he stays like 17 years and gets 1400 points you’d have to give it to him though.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I wouldn’t really put him that high I just paid too much for this Oshie puck and wanted to type nice things about him. But Backstrom is a one time all star and the Caps have 5 guys who have won legit postseason awards and Gonchar was a 2 time postseason all star and was probably the best player on a team that made the finals. If he stays like 17 years and gets 1400 points you’d have to give it to him though.

What do you mean by postseason award? Only one player in Caps history has won the Conn Smythe and we know who that is...

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
What do you mean by postseason award? Only one player in Caps history has won the Conn Smythe and we know who that is...
Norris, Vezina, Richard, not quite legit would be Masterson, Jennings, Calder, or Selke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad