Your greatest players in franchise history

Jun 15, 2007
Counting only their accomplishments in a Caps uniform, not just greatest players to play for the team.

1. Ovechkin
2. Langway
3. Backstrom
4. Bondra
5. Gartner
6. Kolzig
7. Hunter
8. Holtby
9. Stevens
10. Hatcher

HM: Gustafsson, Pivonka, Johansson
DM: Jagr, Erat

Last edited:
Reactions: Devil Dancer

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Even if he retired today, Kuzy makes my list at least over Hatcher and Stevens because of his play in the Cup run.

Otherwise OP's list is solid.

Edit: Carlson too, also above Hatcher & Stevens.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
1. Ovechkin
2. Langway
3. Bondra
4. Kolzig
5. Holtby
6. Gonchar
7. Backstrom
8. Gartner
9. Scott Stevens
10. Kevin Hatcher

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Holtby
Kuznetsov
Langway
Bondra
Kolzig
Carlson
Stevens
Gartner

Honorable mention: DSP

I also weigh a Stanley Cup very heavily and Kuznetsov’s contributions this postseason alone put him above every other player not on the team this season.

Holtby is above Kolzig for years of superb play, a Vezina, and a Cup.

Also wanted to mention DSP because his contributions, while unlikely to be repeated, were historical. I couldn’t put him in the top 10 but he’s not going to be forgotten even if his career fizzles out.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
1. Ovechkin - say no more
2. Langway - 80s-style defense
3. Holtby - best keeper
4. Bondra - goal-scorer, pk'er
5. Backstrom - center, passer extraordinaire
6. Hunter - heart & soul
7. Gartner - speedy scorer
8. Calle Johansson - all-situations dman
9. Kolzig - I think he's overrated by many, but he belongs on this list
10. John Carlson - potential to move up

HM: Kuznetsov (if his career Caps ended now, he wouldn't make the list), Stevens (time too short here - thanks, abe), Gustafsson (not here enough prime years), Pivonka (dependable), Kelly Miller (for all-around play)

Reactions: RandyHolt

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I got lines

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Bondra
Hunter-Oates-Gartner
Pivonka-Carpenter-Ciccarelli
Semin-Kuznetsov-Gustafsson

Langway-Gonchar
Stevens-Hatcher
Johansson-Carlson

Holtby
Kolzig

Reactions: EclecticDarkness

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Counting only their accomplishments in a Caps uniform, not just greatest players to play for the team.

1. Ovechkin
2. Langway
3. Backstrom
4. Bondra
5. Gartner
6. Kolzig
7. Hunter
8. Holtby
9. Stevens
10. Hatcher

HM: Gustafsson, Pivonka, Johansson
DM: Jagr, Erat

Per your criteria Jagr shouldn’t be anywhere near this list

Reactions: 32hunter

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Langway deserves a best defensive defenseman trophy named after him. He is GOAT player. Ovechkin maybe same. After them to 10. Gartner and Bondra. Backstrom and Kuzy. Holtby and Kolzig. Larry Murphy and Calle Jo.

Hm...Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Ovi
Langway
Holtby
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Hunter
Oates
Bondra
Kolzig
Carlson

I know I have five active players - but most of them hav been around for the most successful Caps winning seasons ever - for a good period of time now.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Ovechkin
Holtby
Backstrom
Bondra
Stevens
Kolzig
Langway
Juneau
Gartner
Carlson

Hunter was here for years, really accomplished nothing, and embarrassed the franchise in my opinion. His goal against the Flyers was an amazing moment in my life. But his negatives outweighed his positives.

I also remember Jim Carey could have been one of the greats. His rise was amazing, and his fall seemed tragic. His postseason meltdowns were brutal to watch, especially surrounded by Yinzers and their mullets in Landover.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hunter was here for years, really accomplished nothing, and embarrassed the franchise in my opinion. His goal against the Flyers was an amazing moment in my life. But his negatives outweighed his positives..

Like Orpik, the value of Dale Hunter is the most obvious when you listen to former teammates talk about him. Keith Jones is the most eloquent perhaps, but Ive heard many talk about him. Brendan Witt wore his number as an Islander. Beagle and Backstrom both learned critical things about faceoffs from him.

The Caps made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs twice before this season. Hunter was a primary player on both those teams. His number is hung up for a reason.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Holt
Hunter
Stevens
May
Wilson
Berube
Simon
Kordic
Rouse
Kaminski

Interesting thing about Holt, in his first few NHL seasons, he got into 12 games 3 straight years, and hardly had any PIMs at all (42 games and just 60 paltry PIMs). Chicago clearly didn't want him to fight. They finally gave up, and he got back to old time hockey as a Baron.

Randy Holt - QuantHockey

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Dale Hunter played 100 playoff games, 25+47 with 2 game winners. He had 4 assists in 21 games when they made the finals (I remember him getting decent minutes but I could be wrong) while the top 3 centers were the Caps top 3 scorers in the playoffs. When he was the captain the teams best forward and defenseman were charged with rape and he heard about it from a reporter.

That being said he did do this, he held up Ulf as long as he could and opened a gash under his eye

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Holt
Hunter
Stevens
May
Wilson
Berube
Simon
Kordic
Rouse
Kaminski

Interesting thing about Holt, in his first few NHL seasons, he got into 12 games 3 straight years, and hardly had any PIMs at all (42 games and just 60 paltry PIMs). Chicago clearly didn't want him to fight. They finally gave up, and he got back to old time hockey as a Baron.

Randy Holt - QuantHockey

You left Brash off

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
He was tame here. I should probably rank him above Kordic though, who didn't have many GP

Kordic's star burned bright but he burned out quickly. I had to look up the # of games he played for the Caps - only 7. I recall being at Cap Centre for at least one of his games. He did not get much ice time, but the atmosphere was electric when he was out there.

Kordic rang up 101 PIMs in 7 games with the Caps in 90-91.
Brash had 119 PIMs in 80 games in 07-08 (2nd of his 3 seasons here).

Not a style/approach that would work today.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You are right! There was definitely a buzz in those games we had Kordic, which is largely why I added him.

I remember being impressed when Eddie Kastelic racked up 73 PIMs in 13 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
1. Ovechkin (greatest athlete in DC sports history)

2. Langway
3. Backstrom
4. Holtby
5. Bondra
6. Stevens
7. Kolzig
8. Gartner
9. Carlson
10. Kuznetsov

Mention to Dale Hunter. Not sure "honorable" is the right word lol

Fully expect the current guys to keep climbing. Kuz's tenure is simply too short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad