Value of: Your (good) starting goalie to the Flames

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'd love to see Lundqvist go there. Think the Flames would be a legitimate threat with him. He has shown that he still has it playing in front of a terrible defense, and Rangers likely retain salary.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Smith is good. Andersen, Marner and Tavares couldn't beat him.
He is old, keep the workload low and he will be fine.
Also good to give Rittich more games

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Smith is good. Andersen, Marner and Tavares couldn't beat him.
He is old, keep the workload low and he will be fine.
Also good to give Rittich more games

I mean to be fair they couldn’t beat Jake Allen either. I’m not so sure I would say that one game means a goalie is good.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
What is really bad is Martin Jones played for the Calgary Hitmen a team that the Flames own and wasn't drafted but no one on the Flames noticed him until LA sign him as a free agent. Someone should have been fired over that one

Even worse, Martin Jones’ father helped design, build and was the operations manager of the Canucks arena. But then, Canucks have always had a blind spot for talent playing in their backyard.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
At this point Flames are going to stand pat. As soon as the team actually started playing the goalies have looked ok and Rittich in particular has has a string of 3 amazing games.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Flames need a goalie but I'm not sure anyone available is really an upgrade. Smith has been brutal so far, but odds are he will improve to some extent at least.

Of course Rittich will also likely decline somewhat so it may balance out.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
This won't happen but ...
IF Vegas could get Valimaki they should trade Fleury.
IF there is a chance to get Rittich try to get him cheap.
Subban is not good enough.
Then Vegas could sign Lehtonen.

Would CGY trade Valimaki for Fleury?

Not a chance in hell

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
IT's almost like Calgary keeps trying to do bargain bin their goalies or something?
They've lost out on: Andersen, Fleury, Bishop and Jones; based singularly on them not wanting to pony up for any of those goalies.

Schneider makes sense for Calgary. If NJ is willing to move him, I think a deal can be made.

Schneiders contract is gross, and he's been terrible for a couple of years, we already have a Schneider in Smith but at least his contract expires at the end of the year.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
IT's almost like Calgary keeps trying to do bargain bin their goalies or something?
They've lost out on: Andersen, Fleury, Bishop and Jones; based singularly on them not wanting to pony up for any of those goalies.

Schneider makes sense for Calgary. If NJ is willing to move him, I think a deal can be made.

I wouldn't say they've cheaped out. Anaheim wasn't going to trade Andersen within the division unless a huge overpayment was made; Fleury reportedly was only available for Calgary's 1st (which would have been Tkachuk - so not making that trade was absolutely the right call); Bishop wanted to play in Dallas. Jones would have made perfect sense.

The Flames did pay for Elliott and look how well that worked out.

Goalies are such a crapshoot I don't think paying big assets for one is really worthwhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad