Value of: Your (good) starting goalie to the Flames

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Just curious, what would Calgary give for Varly or Grubuaer at the TDL?

If Francouz plays well I imagine he might make one of them available considering theres quite a few bubble teams that have horrendous goaltending.

Ideally Calgarybis moving Brodie+ something

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Outside of Bobrovsky and his UFA situation, no one trades a key starting goalie this early into the year. It's basically conceding defeat, and most teams in a position where they think a tank might be a solution, don't have a good starting goalie.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Mike Smith isn't good enough (surprise). The Flames need some help in net, and fast. This is a team that's being held back by its starter.

Who ya got?

id be tempted to do

rask

for

smith
and
bennett

I like taking a gamble on bennett and testing to see if we can get that top 5 draft pick value out of him with a fresh start
and a show of confidence from a new team.

smith wont hold up as a straight starter for 50 games but I like him and halak as a duo behind the strong boston defense. smith can get very hot and cross our fingers that happens at playoff time.

its a cap saving for boston this year... and I think for the next 2 years too when smith resigns

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The team that gives Varlamov a big contract is taking a huge risk.

Yes and no. He's elite when healthy and there's nothing to say that he'll get injured again. Let's not forget that last year he missed time because of a freak accident, not because of some recurring injury.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Yes and no. He's elite when healthy and there's nothing to say that he'll get injured again. Let's not forget that last year he missed time because of a freak accident, not because of some recurring injury.
and theres nothing AT ALL that says he'll be healthy 2 days from now. the man has a history of finding ways to consistently miss games, its why you traded forthe best available goalie on the market before this season, because you had ABSOLUTELY Zero confidence that he would be healthy for even a single game this season

Colorado is not trading Grubauer to leave themselves Vulnerable again, and anyone who trades for Varly had better have a Capable backup

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
and theres nothing AT ALL that says he'll be healthy 2 days from now.

You could say that about any other player in the league.

the man has a history of finding ways to consistently miss games, its why you traded forthe best available goalie on the market before this season, because you had ABSOLUTELY Zero confidence that he would be healthy fore even a single game this season

He's also UFA at the end of the year, that's quite a big deal.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
You could say that about any other player in the league.

He's also UFA at the end of the year, that's quite a big deal.

not with the same likelihood of it occurring.....

that may be, but the Point is if youre relying on him and arent suitably protected, you're risking your entire season going up in flames or crashing on the rocks so I doubt either team is willing to risk that.

calgary wouldnt mind acquiring Grubauer but colorado would mind having to depend on Varly
and Colorado may be willing to trade Varly, but Calgary doesnt want to depend on varly either

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Calgary needs to find a way to trade a defender for goal help. Valimakki and Andersson both look like legit defenders. They have too many defenders now.

This won't happen but ...
IF Vegas could get Valimaki they should trade Fleury.
IF there is a chance to get Rittich try to get him cheap.
Subban is not good enough.
Then Vegas could sign Lehtonen.

Would CGY trade Valimaki for Fleury?

BalticDevil

Mar 27, 2018
Wismar, Germany
Devils could have a decision to make in goal with Kinkaid playing well and Schneider set to return. I'd prefer to trade Schneider if the Flames were willing to take on his contract and gamble on him returning to form after hip surgery.

With that being said we absolutely don't NEED to trade one of Kink/Schneids. We could live with Schneiders cap hit even as a backup and every share of work between the mentioned two is better than having Eddy Lack play 20+ games this year.

But I could definitly see a deal for help in an area of need. Which is the 2nd line and its non-existant scoring. If a deal can be made it would take place not earlier than some weeks from now when we see how a) the goalie situation pans out and b) the 2nd line looks with Bratt back.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'd deal you Aaron Dell for a 1st rounder (intra-division and all). Bibeau is doing awesome for the 'Cuda and deserves to start his NHL life.

It's time Dell graduates into a full-time starter.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Rask is interesting for sure, but my main concern would be the tread he has on him and also I’m not convinced the Flames are ready to contend this year.

I honestly don’t know what the answer is. Schneider also makes some sense if he’s healthy.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
What is really bad is Martin Jones played for the Calgary Hitmen a team that the Flames own and wasn't drafted but no one on the Flames noticed him until LA sign him as a free agent. Someone should have been fired over that one

Reactions: Human and zaqq

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
What is really bad is Martin Jones played for the Calgary Hitmen a team that the Flames own and wasn't drafted but no one on the Flames noticed him until LA sign him as a free agent. Someone should have been fired over that one

I hate when people bring Jones up, I honestly thought Calgary was trying to hold off on drafting him until the final round until they skipped him, and when we didn't sign him it was a WTF move, like I'm sure our FO watched him more than any other teams FO did and they didn't see his sparks

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'd deal you Aaron Dell for a 1st rounder (intra-division and all). Bibeau is doing awesome for the 'Cuda and deserves to start his NHL life.

It's time Dell graduates into a full-time starter.

Lol. Dell is almost 30 and has yet to establish himself as a starter. He has 52 career games. He has no rfa time left.

Goalies like that do not bring back first rounders.

Reactions: YP44

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I can't see Grubauer being traded 5 months after being acquired. The Avs paid basically a 1st for him. Taking Orpik's contract dropped the price to a 2nd.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Want an established #1? Bobrovsky would be your best best, but as others have said its going to cost a pretty penny to trade and sign him.
I don't think it will cost that much to acquire him in a trade. He's already stated he wants out.

Goalies just don't command that much trade value, as the number of teams looking for them is limited.

Columbus needs to trade him, but shouldn't until it becomes obvious how successful their season will be.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
One of the goalies in Col must be available for the right price.

Tough to say what's going on in Sakic's mind. He seems to have accepted this as another sort of 'development year' (in that he didn't do anything to address secondary scoring all off-season, he seems happy to wait until the 2019 off-season at least with his two 1st round picks + Makar joining the fold), so from that perspective Varly should definetely be available. He certainly made moves to replace him this off-season by bringing in Grubauer + Francouz. But then the Avs are winning right now, Varly is playing lights out hockey, and he's one of the longest tenured players on the roster and perhaps an important part of the room. So does he really want to break that up?

Unless Sakic's planning to make a big move to address secondary scoring and wants to seriously compete this year I hope he moves Varly sooner rather than later (since he's healthy, playing really well, and teams badly need keepers), but I also just see Sakic as the sort of GM who might pass on assets for Varly in favour of letting him walk in the off-season, just so that he doesn't shake up a team playing pretty well.

Reactions: Taluss

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
id be tempted to do

rask

for

smith
and
bennett

I like taking a gamble on bennett and testing to see if we can get that top 5 draft pick value out of him with a fresh start
and a show of confidence from a new team.

smith wont hold up as a straight starter for 50 games but I like him and halak as a duo behind the strong boston defense. smith can get very hot and cross our fingers that happens at playoff time.

its a cap saving for boston this year... and I think for the next 2 years too when smith resigns
Perfect trade. Done deal from Bruins side.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
There'd be a riot if Calgary reaquirred Elliott. Smith has been subpar lately, but Elliott was downright awful.

Serious question, how does a team with 4 #1 dmen, according to flames fans, go from comfortably making the playoffs with a weak link goalie one year to missing the playoffs by double digits when your new goalie was deemed as the team MVP 3/4 the way thru last season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad