Your Fearless Leader Said It ....... Now Let's Do It

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
A good hockey player is a good hockey player no matter what continent they were born on.

What garbage.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Who exactly is giving up a pick in the top 3? I mean if your logic is that the top 3 picks are so damned important why would any GM give one up?

The thought that moving up from 5-8 to 1-3 would only cost a 2nd and Minny's first is ludicrous. And I would be ecstatic to get a Barkov or Lindholm here.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
....meaning you may be fine with a top ten pick (or a few) as you would be with a top 3.

I don't want the 8th pick in the draft.

I want a top 3 pick, if you are gonna stink, do it right. Pittsburgh success with 2 1st overall and 2 2nd overall picks in 4 consecutive years. Tell me Edmonton's 3 straight #1 overall picks isn't gonna make a difference?

If you told me we could pick 4th and 9th, I'd take that as well, but I'd rather have the top 3 pick.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I don't want the 8th pick in the draft.

I want a top 3 pick, if you are gonna stink, do it right. Pittsburgh success with 2 1st overall and 2 2nd overall picks in 4 consecutive years. Tell me Edmonton's 3 straight #1 overall picks isn't gonna make a difference?

If you told me we could pick 4th and 9th, I'd take that as well, but I'd rather have the top 3 pick.

We would all rather pick higher. But the ideas that we can't get a good player in the top 10, or that we should sell the future for one kid and that someone would be dumb enough to accept a trade like that is just dumb.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm blown away by how many people on this forum support Darcy Regier, it would seem the owner of the franchise drinks from the same tub of Koolaid so there's a good possibility Regier remains the man in charge of rebuilding this wreck.

And you follow this comment up with an unlikely scenario that would require overpayment to get a top three pick in a draft that is as deep as any since 2003?!? I don't normally go on a rant on here but this kind of crap is getting REDONKUULAUSS!! Your idea is what a desperate GM would do in a shallow draft, but Regier has several extra picks in a deep draft. Your idea would lose 2-4 picks in a great draft class just to get one friggin' player that yout think will change everything. And your euro comment is asinine.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Regier has never built a contender. He got lucky with rule changes, he had no hand in selecting pieces that were valuable to success at one point (Vanek, Miller, Tallinder, Roy, Pominville etc.), and he didn't make trades to boost that contending roster (Drury, Briere, Lydman). He didn't trade for a guy like Zubrus at the deadline that year... Zubrus would've been valuable to the team.

Regier also didn't trade a stud W and soft D with an attitude problem for a #1/#2 C and a 6-7 D with good attitudes. He didn't draft physical FWs like Girgensons, he didn't collect a slew of picks for pending UFAs. Regier is horrible and that's all anybody ever needs to know, take it from logicboyslayer.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Rip it around. You're the sabres and you have the second overall pick!!!! Everyone is SO excited!!!!

A team at #8 overalls keeps calling. Note we haven't had a #2 overall pick in DECADES. What would you sell the pick for, honestly??

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
What the heck does this mean? Goalies are the hardest to project because most don't mature until they are past 25. You draft them at 18/19. Miller was a drafted on hope and he went to MSU and dominated. How many top 10 goalies have been great?

Luongo, Fluery, Barrasso, Fuhr

that's all I can find dating back to 1980!

you draft goalies in round 3, 4, 5 every other year and hope you hit a home run once a decade.

i thought this was the thread to share garbage "opinions" about how the NHL draft works, no?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
....meaning you may be fine with a top ten pick (or a few) as you would be with a top 3.

If you pick in the top 12 these picks better be playing in the top 2 lines or the top 4 D or starting goalie otherwise the pick is a failure and it will come back to bite you 5-7 yrs later.

If you dont regularly have top 12 picks you need to be able to get good players in the 20s and have really good scouting. The bottom 10 in the 1st roundare very hit/miss in terms of success.

I dont have the data---another poster has done an extensive tracking of picks to track these stats.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Outside of the top 3, I think Sabres fans should be very happy with Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, or Nichushkin.

If we cant get one of the top 3 the guy I want is Nichushkin.

I figure we need to get at least top 8 this draft and we will be very happy.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
Sometimes the rhetoric against the Sabres "building a winning team" can be tiresome. Do you know how many teams in the past decade have won the cup without a top 2 pick? More than that, how many have won the cup without 2 or more top 4 picks? Only the Red Wings... and they started 3 Hall of Famers. The point is: in the NHL (more than any other league) you have to draft high or you don't win. It is essential have access to superstars, have them on entry level deals or 1st contracts and do well with filling out the line-up with veteran talent.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
You understand you're not getting into the Top 3, unless you finish there. No team is giving those picks up....

This.

Hate all the WGR callers who rant ad nauseam about "we have to get a Crosby or Stamkos type player", and chastise DR for not understanding that point.

You're right. You need to be top pick or two or three at the most. Teams that are brutal enough (we are close) to spend a season of horrid play, are not wont to give that rare slot over.

Very rare to 'trade up' into the top pick or two.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Grigorenko slipped in the draft because he had mono, was run down, and didn't perform up to his normal pace because of it. But if you want to believe some lie, you go right ahead. If Mono didn't happen we would not have him. Fact. But you keep believing some lie. :shakehead

I agree. Being Russian bumped him down a bit more, and the run on D bumped him a bit more. We got lucky. But because (as an 18 year old foreign kid playing in the NHL on a team in utter disarray), he didnt put up a bunch of points he is not counted as a rare gem of a prospect for this team.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Surely those who believe these Sabres can get into the playoffs know that the Sabres are trolling them right?!?

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
We need a strong team with good chemistry and a solid identity. We also need good leadership and great goaltending.

I think too much is read in to picks. Let's concentrate on the direction rather than just 'get the best player'.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
We need a strong team with good chemistry and a solid identity. We also need good leadership and great goaltending.

I think too much is read in to picks. Let's concentrate on the direction rather than just 'get the best player'.

I wanna go in the direction that doesn't have tank threads in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad