Your favourite NHL plays

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Hi, I thought we could get a thread going with videos of your favourite NHL plays (I hope this falls under 'relive great moments in hockey history').

I'll get it started with this clip of Pavel Bure scoring a hat-trick for the Panthers, against the Maple Leafs. There's tons of good moments in it. One is Pat Quinn's stoic reaction.

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010

1. Brown to Bure 1994 playoffs round 1 vs Calgary Game 7 2nd OT. Bure extinguishes the Flames season with his Game 7 breakaway winner.

2. Kirk McLean 'The Save' 1994 playoffs round 1 vs Calgary Game 7 1st OT. McLean`s clutch save in the 1st OT period which without the Bure goal and 94 Cup run never happens.

3. "It`s a wonderful day for an exorcism". 2011 playoffs round 1 vs Chicago Game 7 1st OT. Alex Burrows Game 7 OT winner that kept the 2011 Cup run alive.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hi, I thought we could get a thread going with videos of your favourite NHL plays (I hope this falls under 'relive great moments in hockey history').

I'll get it started with this clip of Pavel Bure scoring a hat-trick for the Panthers, against the Maple Leafs. There's tons of good moments in it. One is Pat Quinn's stoic reaction.

That 3rd goal from Bure, the one where he slaps it from inside the blue line. I mean, has there EVER been such a quick burst of speed witnessed in NHL history? Just look at how quick Bure is skating before he fires the shot. If you literally blinked you could miss him skating through the entire neutral zone.

I met Yvan Cournoyer last year and I told him that he scored a goal that is incredibly underrated but was such a beauty. "Oh?" he said. Yes, so I explained to him this goal and he of course remembered. What a burst of speed!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I've said this before, but other than Orr I am not sure another player in NHL history can make this sort of play other than Coffey. Check this out. The Russians are storming on a 2-on-1 and elect to pass. Coffey anticipates this and breaks it up and instead of standing there he makes a seamless transition to taking the puck end to end the other way. Then he assists on the goal. Orr would have had the instincts and the talent to do this but who else other than Coffey? Leetch maybe, but he's not as fast. I suspect someone like PK Subban would TRY something like this but I just think he is too stifled in Montreal and could do much more if he were allowed. So basically you have two players that could make a play like this, I think.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Sakic hitting Stevens and dropping him on his butt in '01 finals and this one (jump up to the 1:50 mark in the video):

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Parise's tying goal against Canada.

Don't get me going on that one. I am glad we won in overtime of course and all in all it brought out a classic moment for the next 100 years but at that time I was livid when Parise tied it. Looking back I still wonder why the heck Babcock had the players on the ice that he did. Weber and Niedermayer on defense. Okay, that's fine, except Niedermayer had lapses the whole tournament. Up front it was Toews, Getzlaf and Nash. Toews I can see even pre-Cup. Getzlaf sort of makes sense but Nash? I know he had a really good game that day, I think he had 5-6 shots on net but this was a defensive zone faceoff with under a minute left. I believe Bergeron had already left with an injury that game, but where was Richards? Crosby? It just seemed out of place.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
One of my favorite Oilers' 'plays' is on this video, at 2:59:

It's a Kurri to Gretzky to Tikkanen to Kurri goal. The passing + speed of execution is hard to believe, and this is in the Conference Finals!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Not significant in terms of the stakes, but I just -love- his nonchalant reaction to such an epic SH goal.

It seemed like half of Peter Schaefer's goals were highlight reel goals.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
hasek coming way out of the net and stacking the pads on mario in game 4 of the '92 finals. that night i thought, you know this guy could really be something.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
For me it is Lanny's O/T goal against the Isles. Also, it is not an NHL moment but when Mario let the puck go by him and Karia scored in the Olympics. Still not sure if he let it go on purpose but if he did, ranks up there with great plays.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Not significant in terms of the stakes, but I just -love- his nonchalant reaction to such an epic SH goal.

It seemed like half of Peter Schaefer's goals were highlight reel goals.

Benoit Brunet had that sort of knack too. Not a great goal scorer but seemed to score a lot of highlight reel goals. I still love the whole "Been there before" type of reaction after a goal. There is something about that quiet confidence that I like over the whole flamboyant over the top in your face celebrations the modern NHL likes.

For me it is Lanny's O/T goal against the Isles. Also, it is not an NHL moment but when Mario let the puck go by him and Karia scored in the Olympics. Still not sure if he let it go on purpose but if he did, ranks up there with great plays.

Oh, he did. ;) this is why those of us who saw Mario's career know there is never one quite like him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad