Your favourite memory of Roman Hamrlik

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I have sympathy for Gauthier, because he has a pretty solid hockey mind, he just has zero people skills and is too arrogant to realize it's such a weakness in a head role. But his war on the parasitic media was something I already miss. Not a good GM by any means, but at least he had good ideas.

Gainey...Habs legend, great guy, should have retired from hockey long ago.

This is why I think he would work good as a scout. He lacks the people skills for the GM role and leadership skills. Being a scout all he needs to do is give out his opinion

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
This is why I think he would work good as a scout. He lacks the people skills for the GM role and leadership skills. Being a scout all he needs to do is give out his opinion
meh, I'm fine with having one of the guy responsible for the Gomez/McDonaugh trade as far from Montreal as possible.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
He was one of the most solid top-4 defensemen we've had in a long while. Cool as a cucumber, rarely made mistakes (especially early on).

Happy retirement, Hammer!

68*

I will remember him for those 1 or 2 seasons when he was ****ing good defensively.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
His subtle game.

Habs vs. Pens, Game 2 in 2010 - Habs up a goal.
Gonchar gains the zone and goes left. Hamr follows into the right D corner. Blocks centering pass. Another Pen tries to center and Hamr blocks that on the right D side. Puck goes out to Crosby near the right O point. Hamr instinctively follows the puck. Blocks Crosby's shot and and races Crosby for the puck. Swats it out of the zone. A minute later Cammalleri scores when the Pens have trouble exiting. Habs go onto win series.

Just always liked that subtle game and how happy he was for a teammate who had scored.

Best of luck, Hamr in your retirement. You earned it and deserve it.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
A 32 year old Hamrlik is exactly what the team needs to bring in Tinorid and Beaulieu.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
My favorite memory of Hamrlik is the drafting of Alex Galchenyuk.

If Gauthier re-signs Hamrlik, as insurance on Markov's return from surgery, we do not finish bottom three and get our future #1 center.

Hamrlik was a steady force on the backend that ramped up his play when Markov was out of the lineup. Gauthier not re-signing Hamrlik was the first mistake that started the falling dominoes that lead to his firing as GM.

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
I remember when the Habs first signed Hamrlik it seemed like it was a bit too much money, but it was needed to change the culture so FA's would want to come to Montreal. And I think he helped do that- when you kept that in mind when evaluating Hamrlik vs. his contract, you had no reason to be disappointed. He wasn't a flashy or frilly, just an honest defensive player. Forged out quite a long career, hope he has a happy retirement. :)

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
I remember the 10-11 season we had a shutout streak going against us for 2 or 3 games, and he scored the goal that broke it. I was so happy to see a goal again.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Don't forget Harmlik-Spacek and Harmlik-O'byrne.

thanks for reminding me .... atl-ctrl-del. never want to hear that again.:laugh:

people forget hamrlik was our best defenseman when markov was out of the lineup. played big minutes and was very solid defensively.

This is pretty much it, he wasn't flashy, or very talented, but he knew his job and did it.

he wasn't signed for cheap but to me he earned his money here and I'm glad to see a lot of people noticed that he made a difference.

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
Never really got the love that some fans had for the Hammer. He was massively overpaid for his contribution to the team. I was happiest when the team didn't resign him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hamrik becoming our number 1 dman for two years when Markov was injured, including a trip to the conference finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad