Your Favourite Devils Moment

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
a new era is upon us. a perfect time to reflect on the past. what are peoples favourite devils moments from 82' - 17'??

ill go with arnott scoring to win the cup in double OT 2000 after sykora went down. if i knew how to post a clip i would but we've all seen it. LGD.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good topic, I can't really pick just one.

I quite enjoyed almost everything from the early 00's. Almost everything from 2000-2003 (minus losing to Colorado in 2001 and the Carolina series in 2002). I actually really loved 1997-2003, but maybe because those were also my best years from a personal life standpoint. So many good memories of the Devils from 97-03, outside of a couple crappy first round exits in the late 90's and the aforementioned early 00's defeats. 93-95 were also some good times.

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Besides the obvious moments..that 8-5 Devils Rangers gm with Clemmensen in net and 2-1 OT win by Parise in Montreal are two of the best games I have ever been to, and thus two of the best moments for me as a fan.

Reactions: NJDevils7

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Arnott winning it in OT was exhilarating. I was sure they'd lose another OT game and we'd have to grind out a game 7 at home.

For sheer holy shit out of the blue excitement it would probably be Zelepukin scoring to tie game 7 with 7.7 seconds remaining. Runners up would be Henrique winning it OT in 2012 and Elias scoring late in game 7 2000.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The entire 3rd period of game 4, 1995 Stanley Cup Finals. The most glorious 20 minutes of Devils hockey ever.

This.

Game 4 of the 1995 Stanley Cup Finals (i.e. the 1st Cup, and still the sweetest by FAR).

I dont see how there's any other possible answer for a Devils fan old enough to have lived through years of cellar-dwelling and loss after loss.

Reactions: tr83

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
- Jeff Friesen 2003. Main reason for that is I grew up in a house full of Sens fans.

-Henrique, It's Over.

- St. Martys Day.

- Last 11 games of 05/06 Season.

- Jason Arnott 2000.

- Scott Stevens Retirement Night

- Brodeur Save on Briere in 500th win.

- Sweeping the Rags in 06

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Great topic but we’ve been a blessed group of fans so it’s really difficult to pick one. Just so many great moments through the years.

I can’t say that these were the greatest games or anything like that but for me, games 1 and 2 of the opening round against Boston in 95 is something I look back on very fondly. The Devils just absolutely crushed the Bruins those first couple games and I think you could literally feel that the team was going to do something special. I was absolutely convinced they were going to pull it off that summer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Running man Travis OT winner against Florida in 2012 because I was there for that.

Henrique, its over because I was also there for that and I thought I was literally going to die.

Marty night was really special for a non-game, but a Devils moment (again I was there lol).

Another off the ice moment and a oldie was being in the parking lot of Continental for 95 and 2000

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
For me still it's still the 1st cup, in a sweep no less, was just too amazing. The mickey mouse team with a precarious future in NJ put itself on the map once and for all by winning it all. That 1st cup forever changed the destiny of the team.

Three more things I love about that 1st championship. One, they redeemed the prior year's ECF in grand fashion by winning the cup. Two, they downed the flyers in the ECF that year...mmm sweet Philly tears. Three, they won in the year immediately following the short-lived 94 and nevermore glory of the rags while their fans still look down on the Devils as if one cup in 75+ years is something to crow about.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Aside from the common ones -(3 cup wins (95 being the best, Johnny Mac ending us to the playoffs for the first time, Brodeur setting the wins record, Marty goal, retirement nights, etc):

Corey Schwab beating the bejesus out of Tommy Soderstrom
The comeback in the Philly series on 03
The moment I heard on the radio that we had been awarded Stevens
Sitting in the stands watching 19040 giant foam fingers pointing at the Islanders net chanting "Hruuuuuuuudyyyyy" (1988 playoffs)
Troy Crowder knocking out Chychurn in a single punch.
Devils 3rd period comeback in the last game of the year to win the division in 06
Watching the Devs win the lottery last year.
Seeing the replacement "refs" come out in sweats and practice jerseys the game after the doughnut incident.
Seeing Randy McKay challenge and beat Corey Millen in a race during our tryouts for the Skills Competition (I forgot what year).
Traveling to Boston and Pitt to be present in all series winning games in 95.

Maybe some of them are more "memorable" than "favorite".

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Aside from the common ones -(3 cup wins (95 being the best, Johnny Mac ending us to the playoffs for the first time, Brodeur setting the wins record, Marty goal, retirement nights, etc):

Corey Schwab beating the bejesus out of Tommy Soderstrom
The comeback in the Philly series on 03
The moment I heard on the radio that we had been awarded Stevens
Sitting in the stands watching 19040 giant foam fingers pointing at the Islanders net chanting "Hruuuuuuuudyyyyy" (1988 playoffs)
Troy Crowder knocking out Chychurn in a single punch.
Devils 3rd period comeback in the last game of the year to win the division in 06
Watching the Devs win the lottery last year.
Seeing the replacement "refs" come out in sweats and practice jerseys the game after the doughnut incident.
Seeing Randy McKay challenge and beat Corey Millen in a race during our tryouts for the Skills Competition (I forgot what year).
Traveling to Boston and Pitt to be present in all series winning games in 95.

Maybe some of them are more "memorable" than "favorite".
Haha Corey Schwab's beatdown on Soderstrom! I actually forgot the name of the goalie for the Islanders that he beat up. Sometimes I incorrectly say it was Tommy Salo, probably because both of them were named Tommy and Salo also played the Islanders, maybe even during that same year.

I remember someone that posted on this forum (or maybe it was in the comments of the Fire And Ice blog, back when TG was still around) said they were an intern for the Devils at the time, and Stan Fischler walked by after the fight happened and told him that Schwab was outta here and gonna be banished for that. He was with us for the rest of that season, and Lou went out of his way to bring him back about 6 years after that. I'm looking at his game log on hockey reference for 95-96, and he played in 6 more games after that, but most of them appeared to be just in relief. He did actually start the very next game after that one, 2 nights later against Florida. That was the only full game he played for us after that, until 02-03. He may have started and been pulled in another one of these games, but it looks like he was put in for relief in all of the other appearances after the very next game. Just judging by his time on ice.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm surprised Schwab even got that next game. Lou seems like someone you don't want to get angry

I forgot to add to my list Parise's first game and the "Parise's better" chants taunting Crosby. I work in the video industry and was actually in a quiet-ish corner of the arena for much of the game trying to resolve a customer's problem. It happened to be a Pittsburgh TV station. Odd coincidence.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm surprised Schwab even got that next game. Lou seems like someone you don't want to get angry

I forgot to add to my list Parise's first game and the "Parise's better" chants taunting Crosby. I work in the video industry and was actually in a quiet-ish corner of the arena for much of the game trying to resolve a customer's problem. It happened to be a Pittsburgh TV station. Odd coincidence.
I didn't even remember him playing the very next game after that fight. I looked up his game log, to see how many more times he played for us that season after that fight happened. And noticed he was in the very next game, two nights later. So I went and did an advanced search for the New York Times, as they have a lot of our game stories from the past. I was curious as to why he started, and the only reason I found for him starting the game was the writer speculating that ''With Brodeur playing poorly, Schwab might not get a better chance to prove himself'' and Lemaire saying ''He played fine. I want to see him play. I'm going to use him a little more''.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/12/sports/hockey-panthers-drop-devils-below-.500-mark.html

And that was opening night in 2005, our first game after the lockout. I still remember thinking how cheesy the ''THANK YOU FANS!'' on the ice was. Quite a few buildings kept that on the ice through the duration of the season, even into the playoffs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The entire 3rd period of game 4, 1995 Stanley Cup Finals. The most glorious 20 minutes of Devils hockey ever.
That Shawn Chambers goal was amazing. The look on his face and the rest of team... believe it or not but the was the first moment I believed that the Devils were going to win the Cup...the Devils didn't even lose a period in that series but being a fan of the 1980's Devils none of it seemed real or possible. The 1995 team and Cup will always be my most memorable and exciting. The 1988 run would be 2nd that was magical also

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Nothing beats the moment the final buzzer went off on all 3 Cups.

I was a very spoiled fan as the previous years ECF run really kicked up the interest in this young hockey fan. I’ll still always remember how from 94 on you could drive around and see a very noticible difference in the amount of street Hockey going on. Winning really does help spread the sport.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
Every time the Devils beat the Flyers in the playoffs when things weren't looking good - 2000 ECF, or Lemieux's goal in 95.

Marshall's goal in 2003 because of the context. My band had practice from 12-2am. I thought "why'd my guitarist have to make it so late. What am I going to do with all that time between the end of the game and rehearsal?" Well the game kept going and going and before I knew it it was 11:30 and my drummer was over to pick me up. Figured I'd miss the end. 2 seconds after he walks in Marshall scores and my drummer and I are going nuts. It also worked out because I'm pretty sure the Devils had an afternoon game the next day if they didn't eliminate TB that night.

Friesen's goal against OTT is pretty high up there too. Marshall was so good in that playoffs.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The Cup wins are of course the most memorable. Some of my other favorite memories off the top of my head:

1999-2001 - My favorite Devils teams because they were so complete. The Arnott OT winner is probably my favorite memory of all time, but man 2001 hurts. I really thought that was the best team we had ever iced.

2001-2002 - The return of Domi - Jimmy McKenzie making Tie turtle off the draw, Patty's natural hat trick including tying it with less than a minute left and winning it in OT. One of my favorite games that I can recall.

2003 - MARSHALL! IN OVERTIME! - I was at this game, only an 8th grader and was fading fast. But I rocketed to my feet after that goal, such an awesome moment. Cool story bro moment, I wandered over to the tunnel where the players come out during the overtime intermissions and got high fived by one player, Grant Marshall. Like to think I gave him the magic hands the rest of the way. :laugh:

2005-2006 - The march towards the division, with that comeback win over Montreal and then sweeping the Rangers. Really fun to watch.

2012 - That whole playoff run, really that whole season, was a blast. I loved that team and was so disappointed with how quickly they disbanded. One of my favorite underrated moments of that playoff was Poni's OT winner in Philly. It had never felt louder in that arena, at that time at least.

Just the pleasure of getting to watch Marty Brodeur for virtually his entire career. My favorite player of all time. Stevens, Nieds and Patty all fall into this category as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->