Your favorite version of jersey for your favorite hockey team

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
For all you jersey enthusiasts here on HFBoards, please share your favorite version of jersey for your favorite hockey team (or those of another team) by posting a picture of them. It can be from any era or league. If you like, add some comments with your pictures explaining what it is you like about the jerseys and why they are your favorite. You can include both the home and away version if you like even if one of them is from a different season (or era) than the other.

The following are my favorites. They are the Winnipeg Jets jerseys from the mid 70s (note: the ones shown below are game worn Bobby Hull jerseys so they are somewhat marked up with a little discoloration). I always liked the clean look to them and they represent one of the best eras of hockey in Winnipeg when the Jets were a dominant team in the WHA. I also liked the blue, red and white color scheme. The Heritage Classic jerseys worn by the current edition of the Winnipeg Jets is based on the white jersey from that era.

a059b3e5e11f447a.jpg
29b796682f83bc27.jpg

In the final year of the WHA (1978-79), the Jets made a slight alteration to the logo by changing the color of the jet in the red circle from blue to white. The logo alteration began the previous season but only some of the players jerseys had the white jet while most still had the blue jet. It was a subtle change but something I really liked at the time. Note: the white shoulder yokes were added to the blue jerseys for the last 2 seasons in the WHA.

6706_1978_79_lyle_mof.jpg

:jets

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Well, as a Jets fan I agree (well, specifically the "white" version). It would be redundant for me to post that jersey again, and although they aren't my favorite team, I select this jersey as Boston's best (and perhaps my favourite jersey of all time). The gold "B", socks, numbers and shoulders, along with the white outline on the shoulders that's ther perfect width and length. Yep, it's my favourite.

cut.jpg

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
^^^I agree with you regarding the Bruins jersey. That was my favorite version with the gold 'B' and all the other things about it that you mentioned.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Believe it or not, I think my favorite Oilers' jersey design is the current (as in 2018-19) road jersey (whose colors would have been the home jerseys from 1979 to 2004). They're things of beauty:

7ff3eec7940d1e42e3f1c9fccc39b478ed68deb2405e4f95cfda3d697196cc50.jpg

Reactions: grentthealien

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Believe it or not, I think my favorite Oilers' jersey design is the current (as in 2018-19) road jersey (whose colors would have been the home jerseys from 1979 to 2004). They're things of beauty:

Interesting choice. What are your thoughts on the Oilers current orange home jerseys?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I liked pretty much all the bright Jersies of the 80's except the Canucks which were hideous.

Oilers,Flames,Kings(Dionne era),Sabres, North stars, Nords, Whalers off the top of my head all had great uniforms back then and were all changed.

As to the OP

Hawerchuk-1.jpg

The WHA jersies look fine to me, but realistically I was just under 2 years old when the WHA 'merged' so I won't rate them.

I didn't mind the Selanne/Housley era uniforms but preferred Fergie's design(Didn't he try to force a similar jersey on the rangers? lol).

For reference if people don't remember

tumblr_mj1tyt8dF11s6jt5co1_1280.jpg

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
I liked pretty much all the bright Jersies of the 80's except the Canucks which were hideous.

Oilers,Flames,Kings(Dionne era),Sabres, North stars, Nords, Whalers off the top of my head all had great uniforms back then and were all changed.

As to the OP

Hawerchuk-1.jpg

The WHA jersies look fine to me, but realistically I was just under 2 years old when the WHA 'merged' so I won't rate them.

I didn't mind the Selanne/Housley era uniforms but preferred Fergie's design(Didn't he try to force a similar jersey on the rangers? lol).

For reference if people don't remember

tumblr_mj1tyt8dF11s6jt5co1_1280.jpg
Those were the best jets jerseys

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
^^^In regards to the Jets 80's uniforms, they were a clone of those used by the New York Rangers during the 1976-77 and 1977-78 seasons. Incidentally, it was Rangers general manager John Ferguson who introduced the uniforms. Once the Rangers fired him following the 1977-78 season and replaced him with Fred Shero, one of the first decisions Shero made was to reinstate the Rangers classic uniforms. Ferguson afterwards became general manager of the Jets and subsequently brought the uniforms back to life when the Jets joined the NHL for the 1979-80 season. The fact the uniforms were not an original design, having already been used by the Rangers, was one of the reasons I never liked them. I always believed the Jets should have kept the uniform design from the 70's when they were champions in the WHA. In my opinion, Ferguson had shown disrespect to the Jets history by adopting the Rangers uniform design.

WaltT.jpg

000105489%20Rod%20Gilbert%2076-77.jpg

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
I don't have as many choices for the Devils as our jerseys have been pretty consistent over the years. It's between the Reebok Away Jerseys from the our Cup era vs. the white, green, and reds of the 80's / early 90's. I'm not a fan of our current Addidas jerseys at all but the away jersey still looks good.

stevens1-jpg.174881
stevens1.jpg

vs
devils2.jpg

Reactions: DowntownBooster

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Do they have to remove the team crest on the jersey (as well as the numerals and C or A tag) before laundering it? If so, I'd imagine that the Rangers' individual lettering required a lot more work to sew back on. You'd think that the shield-shaped crest made for a considerable savings on labor!

Reactions: Fresh Prince

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Do they have to remove the team crest on the jersey (as well as the numerals and C or A tag) before laundering it? If so, I'd imagine that the Rangers' individual lettering required a lot more work to sew back on. You'd think that the shield-shaped crest made for a considerable savings on labor!
I cannot imagine a team equipment manager removing those marks before laundering then resewing them after. It'd be cheaper to replace the sweater in whole. :shakehead

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
26E6696D-81FC-4017-8468-DEF90B10AD59.jpeg

These are my favourite Oiler jerseys. It is of course very similar to the NHL Oilers’ original sweaters, but I prefer this version. It looks really sharp. Its a classy and timeless look. I even like the shoulder yoke more than the original (which I know probably sounds strange). The 15-16/16-17 trio of this blue jersey, the white away version, and the orange WHA-inspired third are the best set the Oilers have had imo.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In the minority but I like the Flames jerseys they have now. Their regular home jerseys.
The Flames are having a great season, but those jerseys....! Noooo...

NHL-Flames-Gaudreau-celebrates-goal-against-Oilers-640x360.jpg

Assuming this is the current home one (I think it is), what's with the Batman-style forearm black? And why is there an ugly half-length three-color stripe/thingy coming up Gaudreau's side torso?

I prefer this!:
9764673.jpg

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
View attachment 174957
These are my favourite Oiler jerseys. It is of course very similar to the NHL Oilers’ original sweaters, but I prefer this version. It looks really sharp. Its a classy and timeless look. I even like the shoulder yoke more than the original (which I know probably sounds strange). The 15-16/16-17 trio of this blue jersey, the white away version, and the orange WHA-inspired third are the best set the Oilers have had imo.

It would appear that many Oilers fans agree with you and would like to see the team ditch the current orange version and go with the blue once again.

The Flames are having a great season, but those jerseys....! Noooo...

NHL-Flames-Gaudreau-celebrates-goal-against-Oilers-640x360.jpg

Assuming this is the current home one (I think it is), what's with the Batman-style forearm black? And why is there an ugly half-length three-color stripe/thingy coming up Gaudreau's side torso?

I prefer this!:
9764673.jpg

Agreed. The Flames originals looked so much better.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
It would appear that many Oilers fans agree with you and would like to see the team ditch the current orange version and go with the blue once again.

The oilers actually have worn the blue jersey this year for the 40th season. I suspect it will stick around next year and might indeed become the home jersey again.
E5817E95-2DA2-4255-8850-7174AB15AA64.jpeg

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland

I’m a bit surprised by that pick. Do you prefer Navy to royal blue? What do you think of their current orange home jersey?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I’m a bit surprised by that pick. Do you prefer Navy to royal blue? What do you think of their current orange home jersey?
This one (white one) is just lovely. Perfect aesthetics -- clean, simple, clear. It reminds me of the 80s'-era home jerseys, but also has a modern feel, as well as a timeless quality (it won't remind us of this era alone thirty years from now).

See my post above for what I think of the home-orange ones...-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad