Your Favorite Players from Each Historical Era

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
With all the micro-statistical analysis that goes on around here (I've engaged in it myself on occasion), it's sometimes easy to forget that hockey is a game, and that it should be fun. And what is more fun that cheering for and learning about your favorite players?

My question is very simple: Who are your favorite players from each historical (mainly NHL) era of history? (Of course, we can list non-NHL players, but my historical categories will be based on the NHL).

Try to keep it down to 5 or 6 (or less) players from each era.

Feel free to explain the reasons why you like these players, if you want. Also, it's kind of interesting to think about players you 'like' that played before your time.

The categories:

PRE-WORLD WAR II (NHA / PCHA / WCHL / early NHL, etc.)

THE SIX-TEAM ERA (1942-1967)

EXPANSION / OFFENSIVE ERA (1967-1994)

RECENT ERA (1995-today)

What players do ya like? Remember, this is nothing about 'best' or 'winning' or 'Hall of Fame' -- it's just to name the players that you like, or, if you didn't watch them, that you find most interesting. This should also not be a forum for comparing eras (think we've had enough of that recently).

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Eddie Shore. Quite the player, quite the character.

Frank Mahovlich. Short term Leafs fan as a kid, big goal scorer for my team. Not a fan after he became a Hab (when I was a Bruins fan).

Bobby Orr. No explanation necessary.

RECENT ERA (1995-today)

Dominik Hasek. A joy to watch. Nearly a nightly highlight reel.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
PRE-WORLD WAR II

Cully Wilson

THE SIX-TEAM ERA

Have no particular favorite but I kinda like that Ken Dryden was a snob, so him.

EXPANSION / OFFENSIVE ERA

Pavel Bure

RECENT ERA

Patrick Kane

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

I like the first famous American, Hobey Baker -- his style, his legend. I also like how he refused to turn pro because he thought it would cheapen the (amateur) sport, and how he's caricatured in an F.Scott Fitzgerald novel. Hobey was "big man on campus" at Princeton.

I also kinda like Aurèle Joliat -- not that I ever saw him play, obviously, but I loved his panache in the mid-80s when he skated around the ice at the Forum, kept falling, but refused to stop going!

Rocket Richard is first to mind, no surprise. Love everything about his legend and the facts of his career. But I also like the history of his best centreman, Elmer Lach, the Wayne Gretzky of his era.

Gordie. Duh.

Jean Béliveau, obviously.

I read a book about the early Sabres and Gilbert Perreault when I was a kid (many years later), and I thought he was great.

Bobby Orr, duh.

Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Mark Messier. These guys to me were like the Holy Trinity.

Russ Courtnall, Stephane Richer. They were teammates for a while, on the Habs. They could really fly (esp. Courtnall) and could really shoot slappers (esp. Richer).

RECENT ERA (1995-today)

Joe Sakic. Class and consistency.

Martin St.Louis. I don't know if I respect any player more. Coming up like he did, in that size-obsessed era, starting late, and then ending up where he will end up (Hall of Fame) is hugely impressive.

Should probably throw in a little Jarome Iginla, too. That guy just scores and scores, and does anyone have a bad thing to say about him?

creg78*

The first 2 were before I was born so I'll refrain from voting but if I lived in that time I'd imagine my favorites would be Beliveau and Moore.

Orr was my favorite player even though he didn't play for my team
Larry Robinson
Yvan Cournoyer, but he retired due to injuries when I was young
Lafleur I liked on the habs but not as much as the above 2
Dionne
Hawerchuk
Denis savard
Yzerman
Those 4 guys I watched whenever they were on.
I liked Neely alot too, wish the habs could of had a guy like him, might of won an extra cup in the late 80's/early 90's.

RECENT ERA (1995-today)
Yzerman
Lidstrom
Sakic
Datsyuk
St-Louis
Lecavalier

I also really respected Koivu on the habs, team while he was captain wasn't really built to win and I think he needed more offensive talent around him or in front of him(pushing him to 2c) to succeed.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
THE SIX-TEAM ERA

Have no particular favorite but I kinda like that Ken Dryden was a snob, so him.

... uh oh.... edler as you well know Ken Dryden didnt enter the league until 70/71, 3yrs post Expansion.... and thats cool, means you get to pick again. :D

And in no particular order...

Pre WW2:

Cyclone Taylor
King Clancy
Aurel Joilat
Howie Morenz
Eddie Shore
etc etc too many to list...

Pre 67 Expansion: (starting with just Montreal & New York)

Montreal

Toe Blake
Bill Durnan
Maurice Richard
Elmer Lach
Bert Olmstead
Bernie Geoffrion
Henri Richard
Jean Beliveau
Claude Provost
Doug Harvey
Terry Harper
Jacques Lapperire
JC Tremblay
Serge Savard
Yvan Cournoyer
Jacques Plante
Charlie Hodge

New York

Ott Heller
Alf Pike
Bucko McDonald
Max Bentley
Neil Colville
Edgar Laprade
Buddy O'Connor
Harry Howell
Vic Hadfield
Andy Bathgate
Allan Stanley
Bill Gadsby
Camille Henry
Phil Goyette
Lou Fontinato
Larry Popein
Lou Angotti
Larry Cahan
Rod Seiling
Rod Gilbert
Red Berenson
Orland Kurtenbach
Chuck Rayner
Emile Francis
Gump Worsley
Gilles Villemure
Ed Giacomin

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
1940/67 Boston

Fern Flaman
Dit Clapper
Milt Schmidt
Bep Guidolin
Woody Dumart
Pete Babando
Leo Boivin
Leo Labine
Johnny Bucyk
Doug Mohns
Bronco Horvath
Don Awrey
Ted Green
Wayne Cashman
Ed Westfall
Reggie Fleming
John McKenzie
Gary Doak
Don McKenney
Bobby Orr
Derek Sanderson
Eddie Johnston
Gerry Cheevers

1940/67 Detroit

Sid Abel
Syd Howe
Jack Stewart
Ted Lindsay
Gordie Howe
Leo Reise
Alex Delvecchio
Marcel Pronovost
Red Kelly
Vic Stasiuk
Norm Ullman
Howie Young
Pit Martin
Noel Price
Paul Henderson
Gary Bergman
Pete Goegan
Warren Godfrey
Bart Crashley
Harry Lumley
Terry Sawchuk
Roger Crozier

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I like the first famous American, Hobey Baker -- his style, his legend. I also like how he refused to turn pro because he thought it would cheapen the (amateur) sport, and how he's caricatured in an F.Scott Fitzgerald novel. Hobey was "big man on campus" at Princeton.

I also kinda like Aurèle Joliat -- not that I ever saw him play, obviously, but I loved his panache in the mid-80s when he skated around the ice at the Forum, kept falling, but refused to stop going!

Rocket Richard is first to mind, no surprise. Love everything about his legend and the facts of his career. But I also like the history of his best centreman, Elmer Lach, the Wayne Gretzky of his era.

Gordie. Duh.

Jean Béliveau, obviously.

I read a book about the early Sabres and Gilbert Perreault when I was a kid (many years later), and I thought he was great.

Bobby Orr, duh.

Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Mark Messier. These guys to me were like the Holy Trinity.

Russ Courtnall, Stephane Richer. They were teammates for a while, on the Habs. They could really fly (esp. Courtnall) and could really shoot slappers (esp. Richer).

RECENT ERA (1995-today)

Joe Sakic. Class and consistency.

Martin St.Louis. I don't know if I respect any player more. Coming up like he did, in that size-obsessed era, starting late, and then ending up where he will end up (Hall of Fame) is hugely impressive.

Should probably throw in a little Jarome Iginla, too. That guy just scores and scores, and does anyone have a bad thing to say about him?

Almost took Hobey.

A true gentleman in a hooligan's game.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
By favorite I take it you mean players I have some sort of affection for, and not who I think is the best objectively speaking.Forgive me for taking a lot of Montreal Canadiens players then.

Newsy Lalonde and Joe Hall.

HM: Sprague Cleghorn, Howie Morenz, Syl Apps Sr.

Maurice Richard

HM: Jean Béliveau, Doug Harvey, Red Kelly, Gordie Howe.

Mario Lemieux, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy

HM: Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, Wayne Gretzky, Guy Lapointe, Bobby Orr, Gilbert Perreault.

RECENT ERA (1995-today)

Alex Kovalev and Jaromir Jagr.

HM: Patrick Kane, Andrei Markov, Sheldon Souray, Evgeni Malkin, Zdeno Chara.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My true favorite players are Patrick Roy and Alex Kovalev.Roy for the childhood memories and Kovalev for the young adult memories in Montreal.

Kind of sad that my favorite childhood player was a goalie, as the gap between my appreciation and knowledge of goaltending and my appreciation and knowledge of the other positions is enormous and always was.

I wish I could have been born earlier and see all those great superstar forwards playing for Montreal.But hey, at least I remember the 1993 cup, that's more than a lot of adult Habs fans can say.

As for Kovalev, I know many people say he's lazy and so on, but the guy gave me the most exciting hockey I have ever watch coming out of Montreal (live, not recorded).He was amazing in 2007-2008 and I won't forget it.Just wish I had the chance to watch prime Lafleur instead.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
... uh oh.... edler as you well know Ken Dryden didnt enter the league until 70/71, 3yrs post Expansion.... and thats cool, means you get to pick again. :D

I stand by my choice for favorite O6 player. Dryden it is. ;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I stand by my choice for favorite O6 player. Dryden it is. ;)

... :laugh: cant... Im disqualifying him... 1966/67 Dryden was playin for Cornell Big Red... 19yrs old... 26W, 1 OT Tie... GAA of 1.46... 4 Shutouts... did. not. lose. a. single. game.... But it wasnt the NHL, wasnt 06.... DQ'd.... who else ya got?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Chicago - 1940/67

Bill Mosienko
Metro Prystai
Eddie Litzenberger
Gus Mortson
Kenny Wharram
Pierre Pilote
Moose Vasko
Eric Nesterenko
Bobby Hull
Stan Mikita
Murray Balfour
Chico Maki
Phil Esposito
Dennis Hull
Fred Stanfield
Matt Ravlich
Pat Stapleton
Ed Van Impe
Mike Karakas
Glenn Hall
Dennis Dejordy

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto 1940/67

Syl Apps
Gordie Drillon
Don & Nick Metz
Bob Davidson
Mel Hill
Wild Bill Ezinicki
Ted Kennedy
Howie Meeker
Bill Barilko
Tim Horton
Allan Stanley
George Armstrong
Tod Sloan
Ron Stewart
Dick Duff
Billy Harris
Barry & Brian Cullen
Bob Baun
Bob Pulford
Frank Mahovlich
Eddie Shack
Dave Keon
Al Arbour, Jim Pappin, Kent Douglas, Larry Hillman, Brit Selby, Bob Nevin, Ron Ellis, Mike Walton
Turk Broda, Ed Chadwick, Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuk, Bruce Gamble

Thus completes my list of Golden Era Players who were all in their own inimitable ways "my favorites".... I didnt have a "single favorite player", I was a fan of the game, the league, really each team & the individual players listed above for various reasons. Each one did one or many things that impressed me though of course some Stars shone brighter than others.... Picking just one player as "The Best" from each team let alone one single "Greatest of the Era" that best represents the period is extremely difficult, but I'll give it a shot with Top 3 Skaters, 1 Goalie....

Toronto
Dave Keon
Ted Kennedy
Syl Apps
Johnny Bower / Turk Broda

Montreal
Maurice Richard
Doug Harvey
Jean Beliveau
Jacques Plante

Chicago
Bobby Hull
Stan Mikita
Pierre Pilote
Glenn Hall

Detroit
Gordie Howe
Red Kelly
Ted Lindsay
Terry Sawchuk

New York
Andy Bathgate
Harry Howell
Rod Gilbert
Ed Giacomin

Boston
Bobby Orr
Johnny Bucyk
Leo Boivin
Gerry Cheevers / Eddie Johnston

Then out of all of those picks... to me it comes down to Maurice Richard, Doug Harvey, Jean Beliveau, Gordie Howe & Bobby Hull (Orr didnt really take-off until post Expansion)... I didnt get to see The Rocket, Harvey or Howe in their primes (I was underwhelmed by Gordie Howe late 50's through the 60's) so to my eye comes down to Beliveau & Hull. Good Boy vs Bad Boy.... and yeah, I'll go with the Bad Boy on this one. Bobby Hull... However, my personal favorite all-round with hometown bias included of the era is...

Dave Keon

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Mostly Leafs until the 60's. Then mostly non-Leafs.

Charlie Conacher, Red Horner

Syl Apps, Ted Kennedy, Turk Broda, Bill Barilko

Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau

Dave Keon, Frank Mahovlich, Red Kelly, George Armstrong, Tim Horton, Carl Brewer, Bobby Baun, Johnny Bower, Bobby Hull

Borje Salming, Denis Potvin, Bryan Trottier, Mike Bossy

Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Doug Gilmour, Patrick Roy

Mats Sundin, Joe Sakic, Paul Kariya, Brendan Shanahan

The pre-80's players fascinate me, though I never lived it. The 90's players were some of my favourites to watch at the time. The post-2000 players don't really do it for me. But that can change soon.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
... :laugh: cant... Im disqualifying him... 1966/67 Dryden was playin for Cornell Big Red... 19yrs old... 26W, 1 OT Tie... GAA of 1.46... 4 Shutouts... did. not. lose. a. single. game.... But it wasnt the NHL, wasnt 06.... DQ'd.... who else ya got?

Juha "Flying Finn" Widing?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Juha "Flying Finn" Widing?

Thats a good one Post Expansion, 69/70 he began playing in the NHL so back to the drawing board... pre-1940... how about Gus Forslund? From Umea Sweden but raised in Canada. Played for the Ottawa Senators early 30's.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Thats a good one Post Expansion, 69/70 he began playing in the NHL so back to the drawing board... pre-1940... how about Gus Forslund? From Umea Sweden but raised in Canada. Played for the Ottawa Senators early 30's.

I'll go with Gus, then. I never saw him play though....

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
80-90s:

Damphousse, Roy, Gretzky, Lemieux

Post 2000s:

Subban, Price, Crosby

I didn't watch before then, so i feel weird naming favorites.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'll go with Gus, then. I never saw him play though....

Solid. Great player, though spent most of his time in the Minors & Senior.... For the 1940/67 Era, I'd recommend Pentti Lund... Karijoki Finland... Right Winger, Won NHL Rookie of the Year in 48... played for the Bruins & Rangers from 1947/53 before an eye injury caused his earlier than desired retirement. In a game against Chicago in 1953, Defenceman Clare Martin cleared a puck on the Backhand & caught Pentti in the eye with his stick. Amazingly, he made a comeback & with only one functioning eyeball put up 17 points. Thereafter, he played a couple seasons in the NOHA before retiring altogether..... www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-pentti-lunds-shadow-outshined-rocket-richards-star/

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Early Stanley Cup challenge era (amateur, NHA, PCHA): tough defender Harvey Pulford of the Silver Seven

200px-Harvey_Pulford.jpg

Early NHL era (1917-1942): Fiery two-way 16-year Hab winger Aurele Joliat

one_joliat02.jpg

The so-called Original Six era: The complete player Gordie Howe

howe.jpg

Early NHL expansion era (1967-1994): The young leader Trevor Linden

g40061_u37749_Linden.jpg

Recent era 1995-today: The speed and finishing finesse of Patrick Marleau

Patrick+Marleau+San+Jose+Sharks+v+Vancouver+dzIHJbXyuf2x.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Gordie doesnt look too... "approving" of those Banana Blades there VanIsle. :laugh:
.... wonder what he, Hull & Mikita would make of (and do with) the Composites of today.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
^^^ Gordie doesnt look too... "approving" of those Banana Blades there VanIsle. :laugh:....
He may be thinking: Hey, Mikita's blade is curved more than mine again!

Or more likely: It's the eleventh staged photo the reporter asked him to pose in and he's getting a bit fed up with it.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
A bit of a homer pick as an Ottawan but...

From the challenge era but I've always found Frank McGee to have led a very fascinating life. Interesting and important family heritage, star in two sports, the story behind the "one eyed" nickname, government worker for his civilian job, and served in the Canadian Corps and died in World War 1. One of the original inductees in the hockey hall of fame, and for very good reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad