Your favorite gear to play with?

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I have way too much gear these days lol...
One95, Sherwood 5030, 7kPro Shinpads
One15 softies, Mission m2, Jofa 9044, Nike One55 Elbow Pads
5030, One95 shoulder pads
Eagle X92, Easton SY50, Sherwood 9950/T90 gloves
TotalOne, CCM tack 652, Tackla 3500 pants

as you can tell, I have gear that ranges of levels of cost and protectivness... and as I don't play contact
the most comfortable combo that I use that makes me the most confidant is:

Sherwood 5030 shinpads (the ones with the added knee cap protection)
Nike One55 elbows... just a plastic cap and a little bit of wrist/bicept armor, but nowhere near as restrictive as the Jofa
No shoulder pads
Sherwood 9950 pro stock gloves with Clarino palms... honestly I'm surprised, but I like the Cuff the best and the clarino palms when they get a little sweaty, don't even feel like you have anything on your palms.
Tackla 3500 Pants -- offers protection I need (tall kidney protectors) and for some reason weighs less than anything I've ever ever owned

with small elbow pads, and "light" yet protective enough gear, I'm way more mobile and the heat control is significant

forgot to mention Helmets...
I got 5 buckets: CCM V08, Rbk8k, CCM 692, CCM 1052, CCM MHT2
of the bunch, the 8k is the lightest, but I just don't like EPP foam and I'm getting rid of it

of the bunch... which are all CCM, my favorite is the V08 and the HT2... but being that the HT2 is an 84' vintage and is light as a feather... thats my favorite, but I won't wear my helmet 2 games in a row, just to let it dry and its nice to have options ;)

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I picked up a few new pieces of gear this past week because it was on clearance...and then returned them. I moved back from defense to forward and was thinking about "lighter weight" gear but in reality it was about the same weight and a lot less protection.

I do love my pro stock JOFA elbow pads. They are so simple (curved elbow cap plus bicep) but work so much better than anything on the market now. Plus the plastic inserts and foams are bulletproof.

Also a big fan of my Tackla 9000 pants and Reebok 4k shoulders. Both have tons of protection yet move really well.

One thing that sucks to find are gloves. I am so picky but I don't even know what I want. I like tight gloves but because every glove is cut slightly different, they all feel weird, and then I end up using 4-rolls which are loose! Just picked up some Warrior Koncept gloves though. They are a bit big but feel comfortable enough. I'll probably just use them long enough to get my TPS re-palmed though.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
I still had all my gear from when I was younger.. I played Novice-Midget but took a few years off besides the outdoor rinks. I started playing scrub/pickup hockey again last January and slowly started revamping my equipment for lightweight/mobility

I currently use

CCM U+ 06 2011 skates
Reebok 2k shinpads
Warrior Bentley pants
Bauer Supreme classic shoulder pads
Bauer 4500 + ccm 480 cage
Easton s11 gloves

I bought a new pair of Reebok elbows but went back to my old Eastons which are a jr size but I like the snugness and minimalist feel

I have one of those Bauer yellow mesh jocks, Black CCM mesh jersey and black rbk edge socks.. I also wear a UA heatgear longsleeve when I play

Most of my gear is low-mid end but for what I play no-contact pickup hockey it is great and I feel much better then a year ago with my old equipment.. Almost like I am playing at the outdoor rinks without equipment .. I have some gaps in protection(mainly my stomach) but I don't bother getting in the way of shots.. I have had some contact a few times and even got hip checked by a defensive pylon but I am used to contact so it was okay

I also notice a big difference mainly in my pants,gloves, and shoulder pads in how much they absorb sweat while I am playing..My old equipment would get heavier as the game progressed

After I play I throw my gear next to a dehumidifier and it is dry in a few hours

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I still had all my gear from when I was younger.. I played Novice-Midget but took a few years off besides the outdoor rinks. I started playing scrub/pickup hockey again last January and slowly started revamping my equipment for lightweight/mobility

I currently use

CCM U+ 06 2011 skates
Reebok 2k shinpads
Warrior Bentley pants
Bauer Supreme classic shoulder pads
Bauer 4500 + ccm 480 cage
Easton s11 gloves

I bought a new pair of Reebok elbows but went back to my old Eastons which are a jr size but I like the snugness and minimalist feel

I have one of those Bauer yellow mesh jocks, Black CCM mesh jersey and black rbk edge socks.. I also wear a UA heatgear longsleeve when I play

Most of my gear is low-mid end but for what I play no-contact pickup hockey it is great and I feel much better then a year ago with my old equipment.. Almost like I am playing at the outdoor rinks without equipment .. I have some gaps in protection(mainly my stomach) but I don't bother getting in the way of shots.. I have had some contact a few times and even got hip checked by a defensive pylon but I am used to contact so it was okay

I also notice a big difference mainly in my pants,gloves, and shoulder pads in how much they absorb sweat while I am playing..My old equipment would get heavier as the game progressed

After I play I throw my gear next to a dehumidifier and it is dry in a few hours

You know for a while I believed that only skates, stick and gloves made a difference...

So my one55s are so rank that I had to get rid of them.. No amount of washing, alcohol, deodorizer could keep the smell from coming back and getting on my shoulder pads, undershirt and jersey....

I looked long and hard, and said, screw it.... No 11ks or s19s for me... Though the total ones were light... On sale we're some one15s for $15 which are 3 strap softies with nothing else on them. I went with a medium pair as the large were strangely larger than I would think and off I went.

Wow
#1 they weight nothing, seriously lighter than my undershirt
#2 they are not restrictive other than the straps
#3 they protect just fine for non contact shinny games... I've fell on them more than a couple of times and they are great

The biggest difference I find, is less fatigue in my shoulders... Giving me more energy to focus on stick handling and ie mobility is tremendous.

Compared to my one55 they are lighter but not it much more mobile as the one55 are very well designed minimalist hard cup pads, but now I don't even want to wear my jofa's ever again.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
I had been shopping around for a new bag for a while now..I have been using a Titan bag for about 15 years or so now..figured it was time for an upgrade..I had my eye on those Reebok backpack bags for a while now but they are a little pricey..after oversize shipping they are not worth ordering online from an american site..

I was at Canadian tire looking around and they had the Reebok 10k's in place of the 7ks for $99..the site does not list the 10k's at all and still lists the 7k for $99(roughly same as american sites) so I picked one up

21awswh.jpg

The thing is huge and fits my gear no problem.. rolled it into the arena for the first time last Monday..alot to spend on a bag but hopefully it lasts another 15-20 years

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Got me

Eastion s17 helmet
CCM u+07 elbowpads, shinpads and shoulder pad (package deal, well worth it though, fits me a like a glove)
Bauer one80 pants, was going to buy the one60, but they were out of stock so they offered me the one80 for the same price as the one60, a rather fair deal i'd say :sarcasm:
Picked up a pair of reebok 11k gloves last week, holy crap they are cooooooooomfeh and mobile, a rather huge jump from the old easton s5's i had before.
and last but not least, Reebok 9k skates.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
Got me

Eastion s17 helmet
CCM u+07 elbowpads, shinpads and shoulder pad (package deal, well worth it though, fits me a like a glove)
Bauer one80 pants, was going to buy the one60, but they were out of stock so they offered me the one80 for the same price as the one60, a rather fair deal i'd say :sarcasm:
Picked up a pair of reebok 11k gloves last week, holy crap they are cooooooooomfeh and mobile, a rather huge jump from the old easton s5's i had before.
and last but not least, Reebok 9k skates.

11k gloves! nice
9K's are awesome (well for my feet at least)
your protective gear? I wouldn't rock just cause its too heavy lol... but I do know those U+ elbowpads and shoulder pads are well designed, they are pretty light and fit super low profile... I love that about the CCM shoulder pads, though I don't own a pair lol

I am going to pick up another pair of pants, and get rid of my tacks which are too heavy. I'm thinking either the CCM V08 (which are suprisingly light) or even lighter: Warrior Bently or Graf GS500

last night, we played and nobody showed up to our 1 1/2hr ice.. one side had one sub, our side had none and this was on full international ice
man I'm glad I had my One15 elbow pads, my tackla's and my Sherwood 5030 shin pads... and even then, by the end of the game I was just GASSEd
the tank was completely empty
5 goals tho

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
by now I have 3 full sets of gear, and with that 6 pairs of gloves (mostly pro stock or pro level)

I keep going back to the simple gear... and I leave the Jofa/RBK and One95 protective stuff in the basement

Problem is... my 5030 shinpad's foam is wearing and getting a smell I can't get rid of :(

as of this point, even with another set of mitts (TPS R8s), new lightweight pants (Warrior Sykos) and Shoulder pads (9950, as my 5030's smell terrible and are gone)

I'm back to:
No shouldies
One15 softie elbows
Tackla 3500 pants
5030 shinguards
Vintage MHT2 bucket, as its the lightest and I love the style
and of my 6 pairs of mitts, still the 9950 gloves

I know the T90 is the new version of it, and that the R8 are near identical as well (almost the same as the T90)... the pro stock 9950's are slightly wider in the same size and has a much better feeling palm.
I think the R8 is a Nash, and the 9950's are a Clarino... but its the best Clarino I've used... better than the one's in my Epro's as well
I thought the M2H2 palms in my Eagle's would've been the cat's ass... but funny enough, it isn't tacky nor as thin is the clarino, especially when slightly damp. I just prefer the Clarino over to standard Nash, Digital or M2H2... however I used my friend's XXXX pro's palmed with kangaroo, and that was really sweet too.

too bad the 9950 isn't made no more, nor the R19 version of it.

esuhock22

Jan 24, 2011
I'm pretty happy with the gear I have now. If I was still playing contact in ice I'd probably want to upgrade the pants, but the girdle I have now is fine for beer league play. The only equipment I have options in is sticks. I basically determine which ones I use depending on if I'm playing ice or inline. On the ice I have a one95 and one90 and I actually find myself using the one90 more because I like the curve more. In roller I use a Bauer xxxx and have a broken Easton st composite stick with a blade in it as a backup. As you can tell these sticks are all pretty old models, so I've had some good luck with keeping sticks for awhile. (knock on wood)

bp spec

Jun 7, 2010
I use
Bauer 9900 Helmet
BauerTotalOne pants
Bauer X6.0 Skates
Bauer 4roll Pro gloves
Bauer TotalOne shinpads
Reebok 10k shoulder pads
Reebok 8k elbow pads
Bauer OnePro sticks

The club can provide you with helmet, pants and skates from the ages 16 and up. Were under an agreement with Bauer.
I played with Graf skates before, the G5's with tuuk runners and holders. Before, all my gear were ccm/reebok

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Slightly off topic, bu I'm thinking of switching elbow/shin/shoulder pads. The Warrior Projekt set I have is quite bulky. I'm willing to sacrificing a little bit of protection for increase mobility (smaller pads). Anyone got any recommendations?

*edited*

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Koncepts really aren't all that "bulky" IMO...if you want to look thinner on the ice go with Sherwood pads. Otherwise if you want mobility and protection go with Reebok 5k or Easton EQ30 shoulders, any mid-range 2-piece elbow pad, and any shin pad on the market that fits properly (there's no way a shin pad can be more or less "mobile" IMO).

KareyPrice

Jun 7, 2010
Shinnies = Rbk 9k (Jofa ones) Love em
Shouldies = Vapour xxxx's (Got em brand new for 50 bucks)
Elbow Pads = Rbk 7ks (The Jofa prostock NHL ones)
Skates = Total Ones (Love Em)
Gloves= Bauer 4Rolls (Love Em)
Helmet= Bauer 4500 with CCM FM 480
Twig= Pro Stock S19 ( LOVE it!)

love all my gear

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Koncepts really aren't all that "bulky" IMO...if you want to look thinner on the ice go with Sherwood pads. Otherwise if you want mobility and protection go with Reebok 5k or Easton EQ30 shoulders, any mid-range 2-piece elbow pad, and any shin pad on the market that fits properly (there's no way a shin pad can be more or less "mobile" IMO).

My apologies, I meant to say Projekt.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I was over @ hockey pro life and was just looking over some gear while my skates were being watched...

intresting, the Bauer 4roll pro is lighter this year than their old stock one that had the Nike check on it, and no longer has the embossed "durasoft" on it...

feels nice, and maybe I'll giver' a go, but maybe that'll just be feeding my glove addiction

As to protective gear, man..
the totalOne shouldies are probably the lightest full protection shoulder pads there... even compared to the 11k

Outside of that... I'm impressed with the Graf stuff.
The G5 shinpads were easily the lightest, looked protective and have big vents in the front.. The 500 and 700 series pants were really nice and light, with double thigh protections
the G700 gloves are super light, reasonably room in a 14" and have a super flexable cuff..., but I just can't buy another glove, otherwise my other half will stuff me with them.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
When I was a defenseman, I was a HUUUUGE Hespeler junkie. It saddens me that the company is no more. Come to think of it, of all the gear I wore when I played defense, only CCM is still in business. I had a CCM helmet, but the rest of the gear I used was Hespeler, with Mission skates and sticks (wood sticks...lol) by Hespeler and Branches. I still have my last Hespeler wood stick....It's the 5500 at a 260 flex (yes...260) with Gretzky curve.

then I moved to Goaltender. Had some Franklin gloves, some Hespeler gloves and some Tour gloves. My chest protector was Koho. Leg pads were Heatons. NXI nemesis mask. same ol' Mission skates. Sold all of it when I broke my ankle.

Now I want to get back into playing. Just gotta get new gear and my conditioning back.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
When I was a defenseman, I was a HUUUUGE Hespeler junkie. It saddens me that the company is no more. Come to think of it, of all the gear I wore when I played defense, only CCM is still in business. I had a CCM helmet, but the rest of the gear I used was Hespeler, with Mission skates and sticks (wood sticks...lol) by Hespeler and Branches. I still have my last Hespeler wood stick....It's the 5500 at a 260 flex (yes...260) with Gretzky curve.

then I moved to Goaltender. Had some Franklin gloves, some Hespeler gloves and some Tour gloves. My chest protector was Koho. Leg pads were Heatons. NXI nemesis mask. same ol' Mission skates. Sold all of it when I broke my ankle.

Now I want to get back into playing. Just gotta get new gear and my conditioning back.

Hespeler!
I still use a Hespeler bag that Sportchek sold a few years back, when they used to sell Hespeler rebranded Inno's
I had MASSIVE F4 shoulder pads, that weighed a ton and I got in trouble with for tons of charging calls

I belive they were bought by the same company that now makes low end victorville stuff, and it can also be bought @ walmart now.

Its not the same stuff that we were used to.

If its any pro who is particular to their old gear... its probably Ryan Smyth who from what I understand, still uses vintage koho shoulder pads, his HT2 helmet (like mine), and other protective equipement... + wood blades in his shorty 2 piece and his warrior gloves with the extended gloves to look vintage!

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Helmet: CCM V08
Gloves: Prostock Reebok 11K's
Shins/Elbows/Pants: CCM U+ 03 (cheap stuff as i dont play in a league quite yet)
Skates: Bauer one100's
Stick: Intermediate total one (Back up: Int. Reebok Ai5)
Shoulders: Sherwood 5030's
Reebok 10K Jock

Expensive on the gloves/skates/sticks cheap on everything else.

Last edited:

emgsa85

Aug 10, 2011
Helmet: Nike Bauer 8500. It's a little snug with the Bauer combo cage but it does well for my big noggin

Shoulders/Elbows/Shins/Pants: Easton EQ 40. Cheapish and protective enough for a clumsy skater such as myself.

Gloves: Nike Bauer Vapor Pro XXXX. got em online on a sale because I thought they'd be a little better than my Easton EQ1s and boy was I right. I actually ordered the non pro ones and they weren't in stock so they gave me the pro stock ones for the same price. nylon instead of fake leather I guess. Nice tight glove with lots of movement.... my favorite piece of gear I believe.

Skates: Easton EQ3. entry level skate that's pretty good IMO. I want to upgrade to some EQ40s though.

Sticks: Easton EQ30, 85 flex, Iginla curve. Koho Revolution stick from the late 90s, Jagr curve maybe??, haven't played with it much. probably why it's still kickin. The infamous stick I was using during my shoulder dislocation :( recovering from surgery now wahhhhh.

Cheers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad