Your favorite Draft class?

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
We have all suffered through the years with some really bad draft classes. However,I think KA has really done a great job with his team.
I absolutely love the 2022 draft class. And I see at least 5 starters from this group.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
2009 - I was excited to see the size injected into our lineup. Kassian, McNabb, Foligno. Unfortunately I'd say only Foligno really impacted the team while in the org.

2012 - My first "closely" followed draft year. Was super excited for Grigorenko. Girgs was looked at as a middle six guy with jam. I really wanted Forsberg, but never expected to land him. Also liked McCabe, especially after D+1. Ullmark developed well in the org, we flirted with what Brady Austin could become. Just a class with guys that had stories under the org.

Reactions: DJN21

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don't want to rain on your parade but if the Sabres get 5 starters from 1 draft class it would probably be considered the best draft of all time among any team.

• Wow
Reactions: allsilverdreams

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
1997 was pretty good, although just before my fandom. From my memory, I remember being quite excited by the Tyler Myers/Tyler Ennos Duo in 2008.

2005-2007 not so.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
2003. Sabres were bad, it was an amazing draft class, and I spent so much of my time watching highlights of Vanek and Zherdev. I also lived in Toronto at the time, and somehow afforded a hockey package that included all NHL and CHL games. I consumed everything on Hockey's Future and this board. It was the peak of my hockey fandom.

The actual output for the Sabres was pretty lousy from the draft, but I am still waiting for Jan Hejda to make an impact on the Sabres as an overager.

Last edited:
Reactions: cybresabre

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I have only followed the draft closely since 2003 - but in hindsight - 2001 was a relatively under rated year:

Roy/Pominville were very important pieces of the team for a long time
Chris Thorburn also carved out a relatively long NHL career albeit not with the Sabres. None of these guys were first round picks either.

Again before my time - but 1997 was strong - Tallinder, Afinogenov, Campbell - again none were first rounders.

More recently - i think 2019 has the potential to be strong. A lot will depend on Johnson/Portillo signing with the team though. If both of these guys becone regular NHL starters in addition to Cozens - that's a strong group.

Looking back at all of these drafts - if you can get three regular NHL starters from a typical draft -particularly from R2-R7 - you're doing very well.

Obviously that bar needs to be raised for Adams' recent drafts since having multiple early picks is a very unique situation which needs to be judged differently.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Like most things, it is something from one's youth that resonates and is hard to replace.

As such, the 1983 Draft class for the Sabres will be my favorite.

I was a huge Tom Barrasso fan as a young goalie. I even got a Cooper goalie stick because that is what Barrasso used. I was just disappointed that mine was black and Barrasso's was royal blue.

Add in other memorable Sabres like Creighton, Tucker, Ruutu, and Krupp, and it was a solid draft class.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Like most things, it is something from one's youth that resonates and is hard to replace.

I was a huge Tom Barrasso fan as a young goalie. I even got a Cooper goalie stick because that is what Barrasso used. I was just disappointed that mine was black and Barrasso's was royal blue.

Add in other memorable Sabres like Creighton, Tucker, Ruutu, and Krupp, and it was a solid draft class.
I'm the same way but it's 82 for me. I'd try to emulate Cyr blasting the slapper from the top of the circle even though I was better served as an Andreychuk garbage man around the paint

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm the same way but it's 82 for me. I'd try to emulate Cyr blasting the slapper from the top of the circle even though I was better served as an Andreychuk garbage man around the paint
When I skate at forward, my offensive game is definitely Partychuk-esque in that most of my goals are from within 5 feet of the top of the crease and in.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I have only followed the draft closely since 2003 - but in hindsight - 2001 was a relatively under rated year:

Roy/Pominville were very important pieces of the team for a long time
Chris Thorburn also carved out a relatively long NHL career albeit not with the Sabres. None of these guys were first round picks either.

Again before my time - but 1997 was strong - Tallinder, Afinogenov, Campbell - again none were first rounders.

More recently - i think 2019 has the potential to be strong. A lot will depend on Johnson/Portillo signing with the team though. If both of these guys becone regular NHL starters in addition to Cozens - that's a strong group.

Looking back at all of these drafts - if you can get three regular NHL starters from a typical draft -particularly from R2-R7 - you're doing very well.

Obviously that bar needs to be raised for Adams' recent drafts since having multiple early picks is a very unique situation which needs to be judged differently.
These are the best from over the years, 1982 also. 2015 had the potential to be the best draft bar none (thanks TM), but I'm with the OP that the 2022 could be the best, what 2015 should have been, but I don't see five starters. All three 1sts have great potential, and if you get three top 9 FWs in one draft you crushed it.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I remember the 1987 draft class because of Turgeon who I thought would become an all time great. And I remember how big Brad Miller was and wondering if he was related to Jay Miller.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
5 regular NHL players? From one draft?

I'd like to know the last time ANY NHL team pulled that trick off. My guess is that if it's ever happened before, there were less teams involved.
2006 Maple Leafs - Tlusty, Kulemin, Reimer, Stalberg, Komarov
2009 Sens - Cowen, Silfverberg, Lehner, Wideman, Hoffman
2009 Islanders - Tavares, De Haan, Koskinen, Cizikas, Lee (and in 2008 they had 4 Bailey, Hamonic, Martin, Spurgeon)

There are some others depending on what you consider a regular as some guys played shorter careers as bottom line players then went overseas etc. But generally speaking it's very rare.

I will say I was surprised to see that several teams have regularly hit on 3 or 4 solid players for stretches, like the Ducks, Islanders and Canucks. 5 does seem like a stretch and it's very likely even if they do have 5 regulars at least a couple of them are not going to reach their potential.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I love the 2020 and 2022 classes. I'm a big believer in Quinn and Peterka while under the radar costantini has some skill, IQ and scoring touch.

Luv Savoie, Ostlund and kulich. and i'm excited to see what guys like Leinonen, Neuchev, Lindgren and Richard do over the next 2-4 years.

Kevyn's been absolutely killing it at the draft table imo. Even 2021 is looking bright with Rosen(i know still a bit of a project), Kisakov, poltapov and novikov

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In terms of favorite for the team or favorite overall? 2002 was probably my favorite overall - attended, spent time sitting with the Hunter brothers, picking their brains, chatted with some current players, got to provide my draft list to the Empire reporter who was there whose name escapes me.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad