Your Favorite CHL teams #1 overall in NHL draft???

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I'm curious to know what CHL team has produced the most #1 overall draft picks in the NHL?

The only team that I can think of off the top of my head w/ more than 1 is Rimouski w/ Vinny Lecavlier and yes Crosby (whenever the he** he gets drafted).

So name your favorite team and who was drafted #1 overalll in NHL.

London Knights: Rick Nash

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Rick Green in '76 was a London Knight.

In '69 and '70 the Montreal Junior Canadiens produced the top picks.

The Ottawa 67's had Bobby Smith and Denis Potvin drafted first overall.

I think the Regina Pats might have had two top picks drafted.

As for my favourite team... the Wheat Kings have never had a #1 but Wade Redden at number 2 was close ... funny, he was traded for the guy picked before him (Berard).

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Ed Jovanovski is the only one I can think off the top of my head from the Spitfires. Spezza went #2 Todd Warrener was a high pick, but don't think he went #1.

trahans99 said:
I'm curious to know what CHL team has produced the most #1 overall draft picks in the NHL?

The only team that I can think of off the top of my head w/ more than 1 is Rimouski w/ Vinny Lecavlier and yes Crosby (whenever the he** he gets drafted).

So name your favorite team and who was drafted #1 overalll in NHL.

London Knights: Rick Nash

In addition to Nash and the aforementioned Green, Rob Ramage (1st in 1979) was also a London Knight when he played in the CHL, although he was drafted out of the WHA.

Regina, Prince Albert, Ottawa, and Cornwall (in 2 different leagues) have all had 2 players drafted first as well.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Doomsday Device said:
In addition to Nash and the aforementioned Green, Rob Ramage (1st in 1979) was also a London Knight when he played in the CHL, although he was drafted out of the WHA.

Regina, Prince Albert, Ottawa, and Cornwall (in 2 different leagues) have all had 2 players drafted first as well.

I forgot all about Ramage going #1, and haven't even heard of Green. So thats 3 London Knights going #1 if you count WHA..

Then SSM would have 2 as well: Gretzky and Thornton.

Can you name the players that went 1st overall from those teams?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Eagles have one with Marc Andre Fleury. Sheppard would in any other weak draft year but with Kessel, Frolik and Jonessu it will be extremely tough.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Sabes said:
Prince Alberts are Mike Modano and Chris Phillips

Gee, All these years, and I thought Phillips was playing with the Fort McMurray Oil Barons. I think he grew up in Fort Mac...Right?

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
well I became a Knights fan when Nasher was playing there.. we went to same school for like 5 yrs we also played hockey together. I am Battalion fan but we never has a guy go first overall. So Im a go with Nasher :D

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
Jason MacIsaac said:
Eagles have one with Marc Andre Fleury. Sheppard would in any other weak draft year but with Kessel, Frolik and Jonessu it will be extremely tough.

I like Sheppard a lot, but i can't see him going #1 any year in the past decade or so

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Wait a year and your opinion may change. Remember he is only 16.

Maybe but Kessel and Frolik are way ahead of him and they are both 16...Nash, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Heatley, Gaborik, Stall and many more were more impressive in their first junior year.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Maybe but Kessel and Frolik are way ahead of him and they are both 16...Nash, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Heatley, Gaborik, Stall and many more were more impressive in their first junior year.
Sheppard is also 6`3 195....Kessel and Frolik don't have that sort of size. Sheppard skates like Carter also.

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
Jason MacIsaac said:
Sheppard is also 6`3 195....Kessel and Frolik don't have that sort of size. Sheppard skates like Carter also.

He's got the tools, no doubt, but as much as i love the guy, first overall is a big stretch, he's gotta get a lot better. Easily top ten though.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
HamiltonHabs32 said:
#2 Overall.....Chris Pronger

I can still here the Ottawa Senators' fans screaming....

As for the Medicine Hat Tigers, the closest we had was Trevor Linden, who went 2nd overall behind Mike Modano in 1988. In fact, all but one(Mel Bridgman) of the 1st overall picks from the WHL came from Saskatchewan:

Chris Phillips(Prince Albert Raiders,1996)
Mike Modano(Prince Albert Raiders, 1988)
Wendel Clark(Saskatoon Blades, 1985)
Doug Wickenheiser(Regina Pats, 1980)
Greg Joly(Regina Pats, 1974)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad