Your Expectations for 2015 WC

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I have some mixed feelings here.

In one hand, it seems to me that the value of the tournament has dropped or perhaps it's just me and numerous wins by team Russia in the recent years just made the win at this level not as valuable as it was before.

On the other hand, recent team performance at the EHT has been just horrible, and I am not sure the team will be very prepared; also, it seems that we won't have that many additions from the NHL. So the team will not be as strong as in the recent years, and it will be interesting to see how they can perform.

Anyway, what's your expectations from team Russia in the upcoming tourney?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
My expectations:

1. Winning. It's still 4 in 20 years for me, not 4 in 6 years. Besides, there's nothing better than winning to strenghten team's confidence, which I think is still not very good after Sochi.
2. Seeing some new players/combinations for NT.
3. Ability for coaches to work with NHL guys (I think we've seen in Sochi that this is important). Also NHL stars playing in NT jersey is really good for hockey popularity in Russia.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
We will again have a mixed bag of players due to injuries/NHL playoffs. I don't know what to expect.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I think that we should stop caring about WC, at least for a few years. We should have done it last year too. Having Ovechkin, Malkin and a gold medal was nice, but also too easy. We should really send an all under 25 team or something like that, maybe with some veteran like Kovalchuk or Radulov or so, but sincerly, what is the point of winning another gold medal? It would be much better to have young players working hard. Canada and USA will invite McDavid and Eichel, why we can't invite Buchnevich, Slepyshev, Nichushkin (ok we did), Zadorov, Grigorenko (not that I think he has much upside), Tolchinsky, Gusev?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think that we should stop caring about WC, at least for a few years. We should have done it last year too. Having Ovechkin, Malkin and a gold medal was nice, but also too easy. We should really send an all under 25 team or something like that, maybe with some veteran like Kovalchuk or Radulov or so, but sincerly, what is the point of winning another gold medal? It would be much better to have young players working hard. Canada and USA will invite McDavid and Eichel, why we can't invite Buchnevich, Slepyshev, Nichushkin (ok we did), Zadorov, Grigorenko (not that I think he has much upside), Tolchinsky, Gusev?

McDavid won't be at the Worlds. Schedule would be too tight.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
McDavid won't be at the Worlds. Schedule would be too tight.

That would be correct. The earliest McDavid would be available is 28th in the event of a 4 game sweep by SSM over Erie. I seriously doubt Erie loses 4 straight, meaning by the time he becomes available the tournament will already be in progress; and Hockey Canada is not flying in a junior player late to replace an NHL player.

The good news for Team Canada next year is, he'll be available early.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

I won't comment on the main point. I'm undecided on that. Look, I'm actually going to those games. I'd rather watch Datsyuk play again in person.

I will throw my 2 cents in on the candidates.

Don't know about Buchnevich, he might be injured? Slepyshev? Really? I don't htink he should be there at all. Zadorov should be invited, but from the latest scratches from the camp I get it Znarok wants to invite a bunch of SKA and AkBars D-men that will take away the spots. I stillt think Zadorov should be invited. Grigorenko is playing in the AHL, as well as Goldobin. Gusev I would only invite ot reunite him with Grigorenko and Kucherov. Not likely right now. Anyway guys like Tolchinsky and Goldobin without real experience in a men league won't be invited I think. And I actually think that it's okay.

Slava

Dec 26, 2014
I would enjoy watching Nichushkin(OK), Buchnevich, Kucherov (Tampa PO hm), Mironov etc young players in WC.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
That would be correct. The earliest McDavid would be available is 28th in the event of a 4 game sweep by SSM over Erie. I seriously doubt Erie loses 4 straight, meaning by the time he becomes available the tournament will already be in progress; and Hockey Canada is not flying in a junior player late to replace an NHL player.

The good news for Team Canada next year is, he'll be available early.

if he is in edmonton, he will be next year :)

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
What, you said Canada will invite McDavid, I explained why it won't happen. Go to the Team Canada WC thread at the International Tournaments section, they've already talked that to death.

I understand that McDavid won't play, but I had a lot of examples, and you just picked up one name for the sake of posting, or at least this is the impression I had.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Buchnevich, Slepyshev, Zadorov, Gusev. I'd like to see these guys at the World Championships.

Not so much the others. Nichushkin because he's hurt. Otherwise I would like to see him on the team.

Grigorenko and Tolchinsky aren't ready.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
if you think that inviting young players of not so great talent to begin with to the wc will make us closer to winning olympics then you are sorely mistaken.

Ok, sorry, I lost my cool and you should accept my apologies. However, I wouldn't call Nichushkin, Zadorov or Yakupov "of not so great talent". We need this kind of players gathering experience, if needed we can even lose a couple of WCs, it isn't really important, it's a second-rate tournament

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Ok, sorry, I lost my cool and you should accept my apologies. However, I wouldn't call Nichushkin, Zadorov or Yakupov "of not so great talent". We need this kind of players gathering experience, if needed we can even lose a couple of WCs, it isn't really important, it's a second-rate tournament
no need to apologize, i just don't share your opinion on inviting players simply because they are young. they have a 82 game season year in and year out to gather experience in the nhl. a couple of games in the wc won't make a lot of difference regarding our chances in olympics. and we are not some swedes or canadians, the wc is the main tourney of the year in russia, nobody in their sound mind will be sacrificing it for some dubious gains in the future

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

We don't know to what degree the Russian Federation will participate in the World Cup, and we don't know if the NHL will be making the trip to Korea for the Olympics in 2018. Gary Bettman hinted that the NHL might direct its international focus on the World Cup, given the fact that coming to the Far East for two Olympics in succession seems very unlikely. So, for better or worse, the World Championships might be all there is left.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think a lot of these young players are good enough, which is why I would invite them.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Tretiak's recent comment about 'any medal would be a success' is startling - what kind of attitude is that? It's gold or nothing, it's the WC. You can't go into tournaments with such a view of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad