Your Evaluation of Jake Muzzin...

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Muzzin has been very good. Except for last night. Last night, he was bad. But, yeah, he's been good. And with both Gardiner and Dermott out, his acquisition now seems incredibly prescient. Imagine our blueline right now without him.

Reactions: Smif and SAMCRO44

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
He's a solid , smart,sometimes physical veteran defenceman who 'might' just be a little slow for the Eastern Conference. Time will tell if he can make the positional adjustments to thrive in this conference.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Was nice to see him match the Sabres hit for hit.... Prior to acquiring him, the leafs could be hit all day long and there would be no fear from the opposing that they would have any incoming punishment as a result of it. Leafs still need a little more physicality in their lineup to support him.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Muzzin addition? When u factor in the cost to get Muzzin, 1st, Grundstrom and Durzi. When u factor in Muzzin having heavy feet that can get exposed, his random brain farts, im not sure about this guy. The leafs needing a d-man is not grounds to say this is a good move. Yes Muzzin is an upgrade over Ozzy who sat.

Its a fail based on the cost and return, the first mistake Dubas made. The Leafs will not beat the Bruins with or without Jake Muzzin. The Bruins can flip a switch and start forechecking....the game literally turns into men vs boys. The Leafs borderline quit/terrified to retrieve pucks/lose every battle along the wall/play scared etc. Same problem this team has had for 3 years or more.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The Muzzin addition? When u factor in the cost to get Muzzin, 1st, Grundstrom and Durzi. When u factor in Muzzin having heavy feet that can get exposed, his random brain farts, im not sure about this guy. The leafs needing a d-man is not grounds to say this is a good move. Yes Muzzin is an upgrade over Ozzy who sat.

Its a fail based on the cost and return, the first mistake Dubas made. The Leafs will not beat the Bruins with or without Jake Muzzin. The Bruins can flip a switch and start forechecking....the game literally turns into men vs boys. The Leafs borderline quit/terrified to retrieve pucks/lose every battle along the wall/play scared etc. Same problem this team has had for 3 years or more.
You make it sound like we got swept in 4 games......

I for one am quite happy with him. He's way more physical than I thought which is a great bonus. I've never seen him get beat to the outside or anything because of his speed, he just looks slow when he tries to carry the puck which isn't a big deal.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The pick at absolute best is probably like 18th overall and could very possibly slide into the 20's.

Sometimes you get a great player at 18-31, but most of the time you don't.

Carl Grundstrom was our 2nd best right wing prospect, if it makes it he's maybe a 30-40 point guy, we have tons of those, meanwhile our best RW prospect could be a 50-60+ guy if he hits.

Durzi likewise was probably our 4th best D prospect, an RD which hurt, but he has to make it first. If he's an NHL D it's 3-5 years away.

Muzzin has been good, brought a physical element and a point shot, only about adequate so far Defensively but the record (9-3-2) speaks for itself, Leafs were in a bit of a funk around that time. If we waited until the deadline we would have paid more for him.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
He's a solid , smart,sometimes physical veteran defenceman who 'might' just be a little slow for the Eastern Conference. Time will tell if he can make the positional adjustments to thrive in this conference.

Id give him the offseason to adjust and sharpen his tools and speed for this team and this conference.

You can tell at times he still has to double glance where his partner is or any outlet due to the faster speed. But he doesn't recklessly pass it like some leafs do. He just evades danger and waits for an outlet.

Just that alone is an upgrade.

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

..... So your complaining about the leafs being scared, and playing like boys... and complaining that they acquired a physical player that is not scared and not unwilling to engage in the "man game"?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Muzzin - Zaitsev had another great night last night.

I'm impressed with that pairing. Will be huge down the stretch if they keep getting the results they are.

People will look at their Corsi For vs Corsi Against and be like 'Woah', but their xGF vs xGA was the best of the three pairings. Yet someone like Hainsey who had a positive Corsi, got absolutely demolished when it comes to xGF vs xGA.

@zeke began preaching xGF to me (and the rest of us) around this time last year IIRC, and this season, since I've been tracking game by game results more and more, I've noticed that Corsi and CF% can be such a misleading stat, even at Even Strength.

Reactions: ULF_55

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Muzzin - Zaitsev had another great night last night.

I'm impressed with that pairing. Will be huge down the stretch if they keep getting the results they are.

People will look at their Corsi For vs Corsi Against and be like 'Woah', but their xGF vs xGA was the best of the three pairings. Yet someone like Hainsey who had a positive Corsi, got absolutely demolished when it comes to xGF vs xGA.

@zeke began preaching xGF to me (and the rest of us) around this time last year IIRC, and this season, since I've been tracking game by game results more and more, I've noticed that Corsi and CF% can be such a misleading stat, even at Even Strength.

Where do you track xGF on a game-by-game basis?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hasn't had the best of games lately. But definitely not the worst dman we have playing. I too believe his value will be come playoff time. Where less risks are taken and more defense is played. His style will work for us.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The pick at absolute best is probably like 18th overall and could very possibly slide into the 20's.

Sometimes you get a great player at 18-31, but most of the time you don't.

Carl Grundstrom was our 2nd best right wing prospect, if it makes it he's maybe a 30-40 point guy, we have tons of those, meanwhile our best RW prospect could be a 50-60+ guy if he hits.

Durzi likewise was probably our 4th best D prospect, an RD which hurt, but he has to make it first. If he's an NHL D it's 3-5 years away.

Muzzin has been good, brought a physical element and a point shot, only about adequate so far Defensively but the record (9-3-2) speaks for itself, Leafs were in a bit of a funk around that time. If we waited until the deadline we would have paid more for him.

The pick would at the very earliest help the leafs out in 2021, maybe late 2020 if it's a Sandin type riser.

That does no help to the team right now.

Plus it helps bridge the gap with Gardiner likely gone next year.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Whenever you see him make a bad play it's more of a surprise than anything which means he's usually making the right plays. I think the rush style of the Leafs is still an adjustment he's yet to fully make but he looks good out there.
The one thing I'd say is he seems to put his body on the line a lot in terms of taking big hits. I don't know if that's a regular part of his game but it looks like he just doesn't sense danger sometimes.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I expected a D whos comfortable enough with the puck to handle a first pass out of the zone or to his D partner. Muz seems to have trouble with this simple play.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's too early to judge. He's shown glimpses of what he can bring to the team but it takes time for a defenceman in particular to adjust to a different system and a new conference.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Muzz is best suited as a D partner to insulate an offensive RHD who has a tendency to push the offense and join the rush..

Leafs don't have any RHD that fit that role as all Leaf offensive Dmen are LHD and play on the left side the same one as Muzz.

Next year when Gardiner is gone via UFA it will be Rielly -- Muzz and Dermott down the left hand side.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Where do you track xGF on a game-by-game basis?

Evolving-Hockey

At the top bar, go to games, past games and then player tables. Then you can set the year, team, specific game, positions, and situations.

Zaitsev had a 0.95 xGF and a 0.37 xGA at EV against Buffalo. While Muzzin was 0.94 and 0.43

You obviously want the xGF to be higher than xGA.

It has Corsi For and Corsi Against as well. Giveaways vs Takeaways. Penalties Drawn vs Taken. As well as a break down of Zone Starts. Against Buffalo, Zaitsev started the least amount of times in the offensive zone, percentage wise, tied with Hainsey, and had the best results in terms of Expected Goals.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Evolving-Hockey

At the top bar, go to games, past games and then player tables. Then you can set the year, team, specific game, positions, and situations.

Zaitsev had a 0.95 xGF and a 0.37 xGA at EV against Buffalo. While Muzzin was 0.94 and 0.43

You obviously want the xGF to be higher than xGA.

It has Corsi For and Corsi Against as well. Giveaways vs Takeaways. Penalties Drawn vs Taken. As well as a break down of Zone Starts. Against Buffalo, Zaitsev started the least amount of times in the offensive zone, percentage wise, tied with Hainsey, and had the best results in terms of Expected Goals.

nice. i was missing corsica badly.

unfortunately though they don't seem to have corsica's awesome zone adjustments. or the TOIqoc stat.

still, though, better than nothing.

and hey, if you happen to come across a TOIqoc stat anywhere please let me know.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
nice. i was missing corsica badly.

unfortunately though they don't seem to have corsica's awesome zone adjustments. or the TOIqoc stat.

still, though, better than nothing.

and hey, if you happen to come across a TOIqoc stat anywhere please let me know.
Their RAPM measure is basically what they use for adjustments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->