Your currently best national team?

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Some did, not many though. Certainly everyone knew 1981 with the soviets was in doubt, 1998 everyone was worried due to losing in 1996, and 2006 people knew it wasn't in the bag either, 1996 people didn't know what to think with the player losses we had going into the tournament.

The only two best of competitions I can think of that most Canadian fans thought they were surely going to win going away was the 1972 Summit series and the last nhl lockout WJC.

You obviously don't live here and haven't a clue about what Canadian fans thought going into these tournaments so it would be best if you didn't just make things up, thanks.
Not sure what happens in Nova Scotia. But being a Canadian citizen who grew up in Toronto, I beg to differ. Never met such cockier ice hockey fans in my life.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not sure what happens in Nova Scotia. But being a Canadian citizen who grew up in Toronto, I beg to differ. Never met such cockier ice hockey fans in my life.
That's how people felt where I lived, can't speak for toronto I guess, but then again neither can someone from malmo.

But going from what I see on hf boards I can't take you very seriously as I can name at least two countries fans on here that are far cockier then us IMO(along with a few other things), one of them happens to be of the persuasion in your avatar and it's become quite a topic of discussion here in the last year, perhaps you have been away for a bit?

I have my strong doubts you are even a Canadian citizen who grew up here to be honest as I Have seen you for years here always rooting for you know who, plus, you refer to hockey as ice hockey in your post which Canadians almost never do,it's just plain hockey to us, that is very interesting to say the least. Something doesn't smell right here. Call me skeptical based on this info.

but you are free to believe as you wish.

Last edited:

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Slovakia.ico

Tomas Tatar - Michal Kristof - Tomas Jurco
Marek Hrivik - Adam Ruzicka - Richard Panik
Peter Cehlarik - Matus Sukel - Robert Lantosi
Mario Lunter - Marek Viedensky - Marian Studenic

Andrej Sekera - Erik Cernak
Zdeno Chara - Martin Fehervary
Martin Marincin - Christian Jaros

Jaroslav Halak
Patrik Rybar

Healthy scratched: Marko Dano (f), Michal Cajkovsky (d), Denis Godla (g)

How you gonna do Denis Godla like that

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's how people felt where I lived, can't speak for toronto I guess, but then again neither can someone from malmo.

But going from what I see on hf boards I can't take you very seriously as I can name at least two countries fans on here that are far cockier then us IMO(along with a few other things), one of them happens to be of the persuasion in your avatar and it's become quite a topic of discussion here in the last year, perhaps you have been away for a bit?

I have my strong doubts you are even a Canadian citizen who grew up here to be honest as I Have seen you for years here always rooting for you know who, plus, you refer to hockey as ice hockey in your post which Canadians almost never do,it's just plain hockey to us, that is very interesting to say the least. Something doesn't smell right here. Call me skeptical based on this info.

Most Canadians call it ice hockey, say "such cockier", and post primarily about Finnish hockey. But, there is no harm in saying that Canadians are cocky about hockey. When there have been so many best on best tournaments and you still can't make a big list of such tournaments that Canada didn't win, it's bound to instill confidence in fans. By the same token though no country freaks out about losses at the top level as much as Canada does. That's in large part because they are uncommon, but it says something that Canada held a development summit after losing just two best on best tournaments in a row.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Most Canadians call it ice hockey, say "such cockier", and post primarily about Finnish hockey. But, there is no harm in saying that Canadians are cocky about hockey. When there have been so many best on best tournaments and you still can't make a big list of such tournaments that Canada didn't win, it's bound to instill confidence in fans. By the same token though no country freaks out about losses at the top level as much as Canada does. That's in large part because they are uncommon, but it says something that Canada held a development summit after losing just two best on best tournaments in a row.
Yeah, that guys posting history and use of language sure don't add up do they? His claim of Canadian citizenship and growing up in toronto is Pretty fishy.

We are fairly cocky about hockey, true enough, as you said, when you have the level of success Canada has had it is pretty natural, it's the same for any country in a sport they have historically dominated. The tournaments i referenced earlier I can honestly state that most Canadians I know felt the way I described it however, maybe toronto had a different reality with the fan on the street but they sure as hell must have been dummies if they felt Canada had nothing to fear in those tournaments. That or they knew next to nothing about hockey.

There are always plenty of dummies who don't even really follow the sport and spew nonsense, serious fans knew better and voiced their concerns.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Scheifele - Mcdavid - Mackinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Stamkos
O'Rielly - Bergeron - Stone
Hall - Tavares - Marner
Extras: Giroux, Point, Couturier

Gio - Burns
Rielly - Doughty
Petro - Parayko
Extras: Chabot, Weber

Price
Fleury
Holtby

No one is beating this team, period. Canada still on top.

Also, we could flex our center depth and move Mackinnon to center his own line. Running the 3 best centers in the world down the middle is something other teams simply wouldn't be able to handle.

Geez, that depth at center is nasty. Studs like Giroux and Point collecting dust on the bench.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London

Yes, so what happens is that immigrants cheer for their countries of birth. Not sure how that is even up for debate? I was born in Finland and grew up in the G.T.A . I've mentioned the fact that I'm a dual citizen several times before. I guess you didn't bother to dig back enough.

I've also lived in Kelowna and Calgary+Lethbridge. Anyways, I find it appaling that people jump to conclusions based on post history. Just because I exclusively cheer for Finland when it comes to international hockey, doesn't mean that I'm not Canadian.
Look what happens to Russians or the current generation that was born in the Soviet Union that have immigrated to Canada. Do you think they are going to cheer for Canada or Russia? Half of my friends in high school were ethnic Russians or Russian speakers from Russia/Latvia/Moldova/Ukraine/Estonia etc. I bet you dollars over donuts they still only cheer for Russia!

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, that guys posting history and use of language sure don't add up do they? His claim of Canadian citizenship and growing up in toronto is Pretty fishy.

We are fairly cocky about hockey, true enough, as you said, when you have the level of success Canada has had it is pretty natural, it's the same for any country in a sport they have historically dominated. The tournaments i referenced earlier I can honestly state that most Canadians I know felt the way I described it however, maybe toronto had a different reality with the fan on the street but they sure as hell must have been dummies if they felt Canada had nothing to fear in those tournaments. That or they knew next to nothing about hockey.

There are always plenty of dummies who don't even really follow the sport and spew nonsense, serious fans knew better and voiced their concerns.
Earlier you said that most people in Canada doesnt use "ice-hockey" and when other says otherway, you just ignore it?

Reactions: illone84

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Earlier you said that most people in Canada doesnt use "ice-hockey" and when other says otherway, you just ignore it?

I'm pretty sure that he knows that Canadians don't say "ice hockey". If you're in Canada and you hear someone say ice hockey, you'd likely assume that the other person was American.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yes, so what happens is that immigrants cheer for their countries of birth. Not sure how that is even up for debate? I was born in Finland and grew up in the G.T.A . I've mentioned the fact that I'm a dual citizen several times before. I guess you didn't bother to dig back enough.

I've also lived in Kelowna and Calgary+Lethbridge. Anyways, I find it appaling that people jump to conclusions based on post history. Just because I exclusively cheer for Finland when it comes to international hockey, doesn't mean that I'm not Canadian.
Look what happens to Russians or the current generation that was born in the Soviet Union that have immigrated to Canada. Do you think they are going to cheer for Canada or Russia? Half of my friends in high school were ethnic Russians or Russian speakers from Russia/Latvia/Moldova/Ukraine/Estonia etc. I bet you dollars over donuts they still only cheer for Russia!

You are appalled?

Well my apologies, you cheer for Finland because because you consider yourself Finnish regardless of whether you grew up in Canada. I am sure you are as reasonable and unbiased concerning Canadian hockey as they come with you being "Canadian" due to that dual citizenship. You are as Johnny canuck as maple syrup.

My questions have all been answered now. carry on as usual.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
You are appalled?

Well my apologies, you cheer for Finland because because you consider yourself Finnish regardless of whether you grew up in Canada. I am sure you are as reasonable and unbiased concerning Canadian hockey as they come with you being "Canadian" due to that dual citizenship. You are as Johnny canuck as maple syrup.

My questions have all been answered now. carry on as usual.
Typical canuck getting offended because of ice-hockey. Just because I don't cheer for Team Canada, doesn't make me a proud Canadian. There is more to Canada than ice-hockey, bud!!!!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Typical canuck getting offended because of ice-hockey. Just because I don't cheer for Team Canada, doesn't make me a proud Canadian. There is more to Canada than ice-hockey, bud!!!!
Thanks for having our back in this thread and all these years my fellow Canadian :thumbu:

You pride has always shown through, there was no exception here. Wouldn't expect anything less from a "typical" canuck.

Reactions: illone84

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

No kidding. Apparantly, if you don't cheer for the hockey team you should probably leave the country and go back 'home'. It's such an ignorant view to have about a country who is very renowned for being a melting pot.

I'm hoping the poster is aboriginal because there are only 3 options in Canada to my knowledge... indigenous, immigrant or refugee.

In no way does which sports team you cheer for determine your nationality or pride of country. It's just sports.

Nationalism isn't like marriage where you have to be exclusive to one person. It's actually totally okay to love the country you are in and the country you came from. For sports, hell, it's okay to cheer for a country (or team) for any reason you choose.

But this kind of belief (cheer for Canada or you're not Canadian) is more a hockey fan thinking than anything else.

Example. Ever seen the streets after a World Cup (soccer) victory? Just filled with proud Canadians waving flags of a different country. No one gets upset because Canada isn't a soccer power so it's okay.

If Canada ever makes the World Cup of Soccer... do you think the fans in the country who currently cheer for England, Scotland, Italy, Brazil or Portugal will be expected to cheer just for Canada? Sorry boys, Canada made the world cup... throw away your Rinaldo jerseys. Of course not.

Currently, Canadian tennis is at an all time high with contender's in both mens and womens fields. Should all the proud Canadians cheering for Federer/Nadal/Williams stop cheering for them now that we have Raonic/Andreescu/Shapo (all recent immigrants children).

Questioning people's nationalities on a hockey board is assinine. Pointing out how they chose to spell words like 'ice hockey' is trolling at a very high level.

As far as 'typical Canuck'. Believe it or not, There are millions of Canadians that don't even watch hockey or care who the 1C will be at the next best on best tourney. I'm not sure why one Canadian gets to tell another Canadian on a hockey board what being Canadian is.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No kidding. Apparantly, if you don't cheer for the hockey team you should probably leave the country and go back 'home'. It's such an ignorant view to have about a country who is very renowned for being a melting pot.

I'm hoping the poster is aboriginal because there are only 3 options in Canada to my knowledge... indigenous, immigrant or refugee.

In no way does which sports team you cheer for determine your nationality or pride of country. It's just sports.

Nationalism isn't like marriage where you have to be exclusive to one person. It's actually totally okay to love the country you are in and the country you came from. For sports, hell, it's okay to cheer for a country (or team) for any reason you choose.

But this kind of belief (cheer for Canada or you're not Canadian) is more a hockey fan thinking than anything else.

Example. Ever seen the streets after a World Cup (soccer) victory? Just filled with proud Canadians waving flags of a different country. No one gets upset because Canada isn't a soccer power so it's okay.

If Canada ever makes the World Cup of Soccer... do you think the fans in the country who currently cheer for England, Scotland, Italy, Brazil or Portugal will be expected to cheer just for Canada? Sorry boys, Canada made the world cup... throw away your Rinaldo jerseys. Of course not.

Currently, Canadian tennis is at an all time high with contender's in both mens and womens fields. Should all the proud Canadians cheering for Federer/Nadal/Williams stop cheering for them now that we have Raonic/Andreescu/Shapo (all recent immigrants children).

Questioning people's nationalities on a hockey board is assinine. Pointing out how they chose to spell words like 'ice hockey' is trolling at a very high level.

As far as 'typical Canuck'. Believe it or not, There are millions of Canadians that don't even watch hockey or care who the 1C will be at the next best on best tourney. I'm not sure why one Canadian gets to tell another Canadian on a hockey board what being Canadian is.
I never asked anyone to go home, don't make stuff up.There is no need for you to flat out lie.

You talk about trolling at the highest level, well when you make a point to call people more cocky then anyone and "typical" anything that is generalizing and trolling at the highest level and that was done by that posters FIRST, and done on the back of a post made by a person who was generalizing and trolling. But of course you disregard all that because it would contradict the narrative you want to frame. But that is a typical Czech and Finnish thing to do, so predictable, you guys are all the same :sarcasm:

Both of you are the classic pot meet kettle, you all might want to look in the mirror before lecturing anyone on morals here.

Last edited:
Reactions: End on a Hinote

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
MacKinnon-Crosby-Stamkos
Marchand-McDavid-Marner
Point-Bergeron-Scheifele
Stone-Tavares-Huberdeau
Toews

Giordano-Rielly
Burns-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Letang
Parayako

Price
Fleury
Holtby

HM:
Seguin, Hall, O'Rielly, Chabot, Weber, Binnington

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I can name at least two countries fans on here that are far cockier then us IMO(along with a few other things)

Agreed. When the USA won women's olympic gold against Canada in 2018 I've never seen such cocky comments in my life. (Funny how in the previous 4 womens Olympic hockey tournaments that Canada won, the same fans were claiming that "nobody cares about women's hockey anyway!") Some of which were even angry comments wishing Ill on Canada as a nation in general. They were comments I've never seen any Canadian make towards Americans after a hockey victory before. Americans weren't just cocky, they were violently cocky.

Yet, for some reason Canadians are still considered the worst. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Agreed. When the USA won women's gold against Canada in 2018
Every countries fans have their share of cocky, it is far from exclusive to Canadians.

It has been pretty rich reading their mentality here.They have no problem INSTIGATING and spewing all sorts of nonsense, insults and generalities and then have the gall to try make themselves out as good guys and the dreadful, bigoted Canadians as bad guys for calling them out on their b.s. We are supposed to just sit back and take this stuff from them and go along for the ride.

It truly takes a special kind of arrogance to do that.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Every countries fans have their share of cocky, it is far from exclusive to Canadians.

It has been pretty rich reading their mentality here.They have no problem INSTIGATING and spewing all sorts of nonsense, insults and generalities and then have the gall to try make themselves out as good guys and the dreadful, bigoted Canadians as bad guys for calling them out on their b.s. We are supposed to just sit back and take this stuff from them and go along for the ride.

It truly takes a special kind of arrogance to do that.

Couldn't have said it better.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I never asked anyone to go home, don't make stuff up.There is no need for you to flat out lie.

You talk about trolling at the highest level, well when you make a point to call people more cocky then anyone and "typical" anything that is generalizing and trolling at the highest level and that was done by that posters FIRST, and done on the back of a post made by a person who was generalizing and trolling. But of course you disregard all that because it would contradict the narrative you want to frame. But that is a typical Czech and Finnish thing to do, so predictable, you guys are all the same :sarcasm:

Both of you are the classic pot meet kettle, you all might want to look in the mirror before lecturing anyone on morals here.
You should consider it also.. But I guess, It's a Canadien thing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad