Olympics: Your Country's 2022 Roster? (Assuming NHL participation)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I wouldn't say that their defense sucks. Sure, it pales in comparison to the offense but they are still alright SHL (and KHL in Philip Larsen's case) defensemen. The problem however is that while the ideal team is quite decent, they can't really afford any injuries without it significantly affecting the roster quality.

That defence doesn't compare well with other countries in the Olympics. It is clearly their weakness and it just pales in comparison to others. That's why it in my opinion sucks. Good thing for Denmark is that a lot of those guys have played together in National team and I think they always find chemistry and do better than expected. But if they had like two guys who played 20 minutes in the NHL they would be so much better.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Huberdeau-McDavid-Mackinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos - Tavares -Marner
O'Rielly - Point -Stone
*Schiefele

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Makar
Chabot - Hamilton
*Girard - Parayko

Price
Binnington
*Hart

Tavares getting severely underrated here. 78g/162pts in 160 games as a leaf ( a 40g/83pt full season pace), but he is getting left off? nah
people are gifting Lafreniere a spot based on potential? Canada doesnt do that. If the kid isn't getting 85-90pts already he aint making it

Reactions: TopCheese

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
O'Rielly - Point -Stone
*Schiefele

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Makar
Chabot - Hamilton
*Girard - Parayko

Price
Binnington
*Hart

Tavares getting severely underrated here. 78g/162pts in 160 games as a leaf ( a 40g/83pt full season pace), but he is getting left off? nah
people are gifting Lafreniere a spot based on potential? Canada doesnt do that. If the kid isn't getting 85-90pts already he aint making it
Tavares has been ass so far at 5v5 but odds of making TC are pretty high to begin with.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
O'Rielly - Point -Stone
*Schiefele

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Makar
Chabot - Hamilton
*Girard - Parayko

Price
Binnington
*Hart

He’s too slow. Have watched 4 of his games this year and he’s not defensively good enough to be on the 4th line, and doesn’t have enough talent to be in Canada’s ridiculously stacked top 6

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Laine-Barkov-Kapanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Rantanen
Donskoi-Hintz-Mi.Granlund
Armia-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen

Lindell-Heiskanen
Vatanen-Ristolainen
Hakanpää-Lehtonen

Rask
Korpisalo
Lankinen/Saros/Raanta

It's very close calls with some defenders but could select only 6.

Lehkonen would've been the first forward to be replaced by Kakko, Puljujärvi, Haula or by the joker card Hartikainen (KHL) but Lehkonen is a good defensive forward and with some Montreal connection with Kotkaniemi and Armia.

Last edited:

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Kind of hard to predict many teams 1 year in advance. So i'll pick a Finnish team based on recency and personal bias for if the Olympics was played now.

Teräväinen-Barkov-Rantanen
Laine-Aho-Puljujärvi
Kiviranta-Hintz-Kapanen
Granlund-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Lindell-Heiskanen
Lehtonen-Ristolainen
Välimäki-Hakanpää

Lankinen
Rask

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Didnt expect this to happen, but based on what I've seen lately I am expecting both Kakko and Puljujärvi to make team Finland next year. Puljujärvi in a bottom 6 role and, Im shocked to say this after his last seasons play, but if Kakko keeps improving with this rate I think he'll be Aho's RW on 2nd line

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho - Kakko
Granlund - Hintz - Puljujärvi
Donskoi - Kotkaniemi - Kapanen
Lundell, Armia

Lindell - Heiskanen
Välimäki - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Jokihaju
Lehtonen

Rask
Korpisalo
Lankinen

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Didnt expect this to happen, but based on what I've seen lately I am expecting both Kakko and Puljujärvi to make team Finland next year. Puljujärvi in a bottom 6 role and, Im shocked to say this after his last seasons play, but if Kakko keeps improving with this rate I think he'll be Aho's RW on 2nd line

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho - Kakko
Granlund - Hintz - Puljujärvi
Donskoi - Kotkaniemi - Kapanen
Lundell, Armia

Lindell - Heiskanen
Välimäki - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Jokihaju
Lehtonen

Rask
Korpisalo
Lankinen
So I'm very strict about this. Near the current status, Kakko and Pulju are out or replaced. ;)

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
So I'm very strict about this. Near the current status, Kakko and Pulju are out or replaced. ;)
Based on today's status Kakko is the captain and GM. Dude looked like Mark Stone out there with the takeaways. But yeah looking at whole season and previous one he'd be out :laugh:

Pulju would is a close one. Great xG numbers and hustle all year but no finish, so depending on what metrics theyre deciding by, he could make it.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Laine-Barkov-Kapanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Rantanen

Lindell-Heiskanen
Vatanen-Ristolainen
Hakanpää-Lehtonen

Rask
Korpisalo
Lankinen/Saros/Raanta

Lehkonen would've been the first forward to be replaced by Kakko, Puljujärvi, Haula or by the joker card Hartikainen (KHL) but Lehkonen is a good defensive forward and with some Montreal connection with Kotkaniemi and Armia.
That suit my taste! ;) Only Hakanpää is questionable.

Reactions: Mestaruus

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Can you imagine Couturier, Toews and O'Reilly on a line together? The other team might as well play catch in their own end for a minute and change.
Not these teams; the talent on these top teams is ridiculous. I could see Eichel, Kane and Connor skating circles around them; sorry.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Not these teams; the talent on these top teams is ridiculous. I could see Eichel, Kane and Connor skating circles around them; sorry.
Yeah no, those are the last two Selke winners in Couturier and O'Reilly. They'll have their work cut out for them against a Connor-Eichel-Kane line, but they won't get embarrassed easily I'll tell you that.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Yeah no, you put them out against either Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron or an all Selke Line of Stone-Couturier-O’Reilly and even a line comprised of Ovechkin-Matthews-Kucherov would have difficulty. The lines that will have McDavid and MacKinnon won’t be as good defensively though.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
People thought Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, and Kovalchuk would skate circles around Toews, Richards, and Nash checking line during 2010 Olympics too.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
Laine-Barkov-Kapanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Rantanen
X -Hintz-Granlund
Lehkonen-Haula-Armia

Contending for last 3 spots, not exactly in order: C Kotkaniemi, Lundell, Luostarinen, Filppula, Lammikko, W Donskoi, Kiviranta, Puljujärvi, Kakko, Kuokkanen, Tolvanen, Komarov

Välimäki-Heiskanen
Lindell-Ristolainen Lindell covering for Risto's weaknesses at own end
X-Vatanen/Jokiharju

Contending for 2 D spots, not in order: Määttä, Nutivaara, Lehtonen, Hakanpää, Mikkola, Riikola, Heinola

Rask
Korpisalo
Lankinen/Saros/Raanta

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
That suit my taste! ;) Only Hakanpää is questionable.

It could very well be Välimäki instead, true. Maybe we are smarter after this season about which one of them is more important for the team. Currently both Välimäki and Hakanpää häve played 16 games each this season and we have Hakanpää with +/- +4 and Välimäki at -4. If the trend continues that way, perhaps Hakanpää should take that spot. Hakanpää is also leading with TOI 18 min versus 17 min.

Next tier after them are probably Juolevi and Nutivaara. I'm not used to being this spoiled with defenders. Finland has finally started to develop more of them and I'm glad about that. I remember the times when we would take any NHL defenders that we could get but now we actually have to leave 8 of them out. For example, in the World Cup roster of Marjamäki we had Pokka who was a pure AHL guy back then. Since then Pokka became a little bit better but that's how the selections used to be.

Finnish D-Men stats from this season:
NHL Stats

Also Lankinen is raising his stocks game by game. He seems like one of the Calder trophy candidates right now. That won't be enough to dethrone Rask from #1 goalie spot but perhaps he will challenge Korpisalo for the first backup slot. Will have to see after the season on that.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sweden

Forsberg - Pettersson - E.Lindholm
Landeskog - Karlsson - Zibanejad
Burakovsky - Bäckström - Nylander
Backlund - Eriksson Ek - Hörnqvist
Arvidsson, Olofsson

Hedman - Klingberg
Brodin - OEL
H.Lindholm - Andersson
Ekholm, Klefbom

Markström
Lehner
Ullmark

L2 is a shutdown line, L3 pure offense, L4 checking. Elias Lindholm takes the faceoffs on L1.

Dahlin will be there and will also deserve to be there. I think people are overreacting too much right now, like they did early last season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Laine-Barkov-Kapanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Rantanen

Lindell-Heiskanen
Vatanen-Ristolainen
Hakanpää-Lehtonen

Rask
Korpisalo
Lankinen/Saros/Raanta

Give it two months, and people won't even be suggesting Kakko doesn't deserve a spot on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad