WC: Your Country's 2021 Roster? (Assuming No NHL participation)

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
The point was that these players have only one chance to represent Team Usa so their motivation migh be a little bit higher. And this year there wont be nhl:ers so every top 6 nation have a decent chance.

I agree. My post was more a dig at the widespread belief on this board that the US is a powerhouse despite the notable lack of success in the past 25 years.

And I dont see any other excuse for Team Usa to fail almost every year although they have teams full of nhl-players, other than (the lack of)motivation. If they really care about the tournament, they would have won 5-6 gold medals already.

You're not entirely wrong, but there is a lack of depth and very few elite American goaltenders, most of whom are not available during Worlds. If anything, the tournament could be a lot more wide-open this year, but I'd expect Team USA to underachieve like it always has, although you could make the case that the expectations are too high every year.

Reactions: Lartsaman

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Yes, he got a chance.

Melart should be ahead of Koivisto.

What about Lundell...? Is he ready?

Lundell might very well be an extra attacker. Melart hasnt been called to the national team this season. I think he needs to take part at least one tournament if hes going to be considered.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
That would be the best case scenario. I think that many khl:ers will AGAIN decline the invitation though....

I understand why a lot of them decline the invitation, especially this year. KHL's regular season ends this month and WC is scheduled to start on 21st of May. If your team doesn't make the playoffs, that's basically almost three months off. If you lose in the first round it is still over two months off. They have to keep themselves in shape to be able to play in WC and their spot in the final lineup isn't set in stone. Have to go to camp first and even if you do well, there's always a chance that some NHL player just joins at the last moment and you don't have a spot on the roster anymore. Not very motivating. I don't know who has had corona already and who hasn't but it might not feel good going to Latvia during covid times. Just last week a bunch of players got corona in Euro hockey tournament even with the safety protocols. Safer to stay at home with family.

I hope that the fact that this is the last chance to make your case for the Olympic squad motivates some of these players. Even though we imagine that the roster for Peking is full of NHL players, injuries are always a possibility and the staff might prefer some veteran KHL players over NHL rookies.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
G. Hofmann - E. Corvi - D. Simion
V. Nüssbaumer - S. Andrighetto - F. Herzog
Y. Zehnder - D. Malgin - V. Praplan
C. Bertschy - J. Fuchs - N. Rod
L. Hischier, T. Richard

L. Frick - D. Egli
J.J. Moser - M. Fora
M. Henauer - R. Karrer
F. Heldner

G. Descloux
L. Waeber
J. van Pottelberghe

This would be a rather young team but without relegation and since we aren't winning gold anyway, this is the time to give those players some experience. I know guys like Ambühl, Hollenstein, Diaz or Berra would still be good at this tournament yet I want to see the younger players take over. The experience they would gain could also benefit the team at next year's olympics.

I like the look of that but Fischer wouldn't exclude the Veteran players who are past their primes. His old boys club mentality is to strong for that to happen. He was even teammates with guys like Diaz and Ambühl so I highly doubt he wouldnt nominate them. In the case of Ambühl I couldnt even hold it against him. He is having one of the best seasons of his career and could provide important leadership for the team.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
This would be a rather young team but without relegation and since we aren't winning gold anyway, this is the time to give those players some experience. I know guys like Ambühl, Hollenstein, Diaz or Berra would still be good at this tournament yet I want to see the younger players take over. The experience they would gain could also benefit the team at next year's olympics.

I like that roster but personally I feel that Switzerland should build their best possible European-based roster. Their chances at gold medal are better than ever this year.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I like that roster but personally I feel that Switzerland should build their best possible European-based roster. Their chances at gold medal are better than ever this year.
that's what I thought until Pyeonchang happened.... I still think we're lacking offensive power especially in terms of scoring (not the creating part but the scoring) and Switzerland's chances are better if we can rely on the ones like Fiala, Niederreiter, Meier, Hischier, Suter, Kurashev etc. I changed my mind about that and I do think that we are suffering more when there is no NHL participation since more and more of our best players are in the NHL and others have more depth to compensate that

Last edited:

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I try Canada here:

Leipsic - Knight - Danforth
Klinkhammer - Vey - Clark
Frattin - Holland - Kozun
Tambellini - O´Dell - Hudon

Robinson - Genoway
Lalonde - Grant
Barberio - Noreau
Elliott - Heatherington

Pasquale - Garteig - Daws

Feel free to disagree.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I try Canada here:

Leipsic - Knight - Danforth
Klinkhammer - Vey - Clark
Frattin - Holland - Kozun
Tambellini - O´Dell - Hudon

Robinson - Genoway
Lalonde - Grant
Barberio - Noreau
Elliott - Heatherington

Pasquale - Garteig - Daws

Feel free to disagree.

Andrew Calof should have a spot. I would also add Eric Gelinas.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Germany>

Noebels - Macek - Plactha
Tiffels - Eisenschmid - Ehliz
Fishbuch - Loibl - Pföderl
Peterka - Reichel - Wohlgemuth
Jentzsch, J.Shutz

Brandt - Seider
J.Muller - Sezemsky
M.Muller - Holzer
Mebus - Reul

Niederberger
Jenike

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Denmark.

N.Jensen - Regin - Bödker
Meyer - Olesen - Storm
From - Aagaard - Niklas Andersen
Hardt - J.Jensen - Bau Hansen
Spelling, M.Madsen

JJ Aabo - P.Larsen
M.Lauridsen - O.Lauridsen
Setkov - M.Lassen
OL Larsen - Nicholas b Jensen

Dahm
Sorsensen
Sogaard

Norway.

Thoresen - Olimb - Olimb
Roseli Olsen - Haga - Valkve Olsen
Martinsen - Froshaug - Lindström
Borvik - Bakke Olsen - Noer
Heier, Karterud

Nörstebö - Holös
Espenland - Johannesen
Bonsaksen - Lesund
Kåsastul - Bull

Haukeland
Arntzen
Volden

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Goes agains the spirit of the post but if non playoff teams have enough time to send a player... Czechs are looking solid... Detroit has Zadina and Hronek. SJ has Hertl and Simek. NYR have Chytil and Hajek. Calgary have Simon and Rittich. NJ has Zacha and Dallas has Faksa.

In no way do I think they'd all show up. Most likely none of them but in the miracle that non playoff teams can send a guy (season ends 2 weeks before it starts) then we have some great pieces for us.

I'd obviously love Hronek, Hajek and Simek on the blue.
Rittich is UFA so he wouldn't come but I'd kill for him in net
Zadina, Zacha, Chytil, Hertl and Faksa would be great and give us some very good (for us) Centre depth.

Of course, in this scenario, Canada gets a lot of NHL players as does Sweden and America.

Reactions: Goodman68

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Is this tournament being played on International Ice Surface?

Such a shame the 2022 games are being played on the small rink.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
For Slovakia maybe something like this?

Cehlarik - Hrivik - Bakos
Pospisil - Hudacek - Skalicky
Liska - Kristof - Griger
Lunter - Marcinko - Paulovic
Okuliar

Gernat - Cajkovsky
Daloga - Ceresnak
Grman - Rosandic
Janosik

Tomek, Godla, Hudacek

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Probably won’t happen but I think it’d be cool for Canada and USA to both send young teams made up of CHL and college guys rather than the European vets. That American world junior team with the addition of some older college guys could do some damage, and that’s coming from a Canadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Probably won’t happen but I think it’d be cool for Canada and USA to both send young teams made up of CHL and college guys rather than the European vets. That American world junior team with the addition of some older college guys could do some damage, and that’s coming from a Canadian
I wonder how interested North Americans would be in flying to Europe during all this Covid stuff? I get why a Euro might (on the way home) but I'm not sure about the North American based guys? Pure speculation of course.

Reactions: peconcan

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
I wonder how interested North Americans would be in flying to Europe during all this Covid stuff? I get why a Euro might (on the way home) but I'm not sure about the North American based guys? Pure speculation of course.
Yea I agree 100% that’s why I said very unlikely I just think it’d be cool to see the best North American young guys not in the NHL against Europe’s best who are not in the NHL

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yea I agree 100% that’s why I said very unlikely I just think it’d be cool to see the best North American young guys not in the NHL against Europe’s best who are not in the NHL
I totally agree... send the US junior team with some vets from Europe and you have a quarterfinalist for sure and maybe a medal contender. Same with Canada.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
How Latvian roster could look ? Will Girgensons be healthy by WC ? Will Balcers come if (probably) San Jose miss playoffs ? Merzlikins ?

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
How Latvian roster could look ? Will Girgensons be healthy by WC ? Will Balcers come if (probably) San Jose miss playoffs ? Merzlikins ?

Something like this?

Centers:

Maris Bicevskis
Andris Dzerins
Oskars Batna
Deniss Smirnovs
Emils Ezitis

Wingers:

Lauris Darzins
Martins Karsums
Miks Indrasis
Roberts Bukarts
Rihards Bukarts
Emils Gegeris
Kaspars Daugavins
Frenks Razgals
Martins Dzierkals
Gatis Sprukts

Defenders:

Ralfs Freibergs
Oskars Cibulskis
Arturs Kulda
Oskars Bartulis
Roberts Mamcics
Kristofers Bindulis
Eduards Hugo Jansons
Uvis Balinskis
Kristaps Zile

Goalies:

Janis Kalnins
Kristers Gudlevskis
Ivars Punnenovs

Somebody who knows latvian hockey better, can correct me but I think these are the best european based-players right now.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I think Ronalds Kenins belongs there too. Other than that, no clue..

Youre right. I totally forgot him. Those goalies are the biggest question mark. Janis Kalnins is a lock but not sure about Gudlevskis. His career has been on downwards lately. Punnenovs has been decent in swiss league but hasnt been included in national team in past few years.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Something like this?

Centers:

Maris Bicevskis
Andris Dzerins
Oskars Batna
Deniss Smirnovs
Emils Ezitis

Wingers:

Lauris Darzins
Martins Karsums
Miks Indrasis
Roberts Bukarts
Rihards Bukarts
Emils Gegeris
Kaspars Daugavins
Frenks Razgals
Martins Dzierkals
Gatis Sprukts

Defenders:

Ralfs Freibergs
Oskars Cibulskis
Arturs Kulda
Oskars Bartulis
Roberts Mamcics
Kristofers Bindulis
Eduards Hugo Jansons
Uvis Balinskis
Kristaps Zile

Goalies:

Janis Kalnins
Kristers Gudlevskis
Ivars Punnenovs

Somebody who knows latvian hockey better, can correct me but I think these are the best european based-players right now.

I have no idea where Latvian hockey is at but if you're considering Smirnovs as one of your possible 4C at the moment, you might have some serious depth issues...

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Something like this?

Centers:

Maris Bicevskis
Andris Dzerins
Oskars Batna
Deniss Smirnovs
Emils Ezitis

Wingers:

Lauris Darzins
Martins Karsums
Miks Indrasis
Roberts Bukarts
Rihards Bukarts
Emils Gegeris
Kaspars Daugavins
Frenks Razgals
Martins Dzierkals
Gatis Sprukts

Defenders:

Ralfs Freibergs
Oskars Cibulskis
Arturs Kulda
Oskars Bartulis
Roberts Mamcics
Kristofers Bindulis
Eduards Hugo Jansons
Uvis Balinskis
Kristaps Zile

Goalies:

Janis Kalnins
Kristers Gudlevskis
Ivars Punnenovs

If no NA-players:

Janis Kalnins
Ivars Punnenovs

Arturs Kulda - Kristaps Sotnieks
Roberts Mamcics - Kristaps Zile
Uvis Janis Balinskis - Ralfs Freibergs
Oskars Cibulskis - Guntis Galvins

Miks Indrasis - Rodrigo Abols - Kaspars Daugavins
Ronalds Kenins - Andris Dzerins - Lauris Darzins
Rihards Bukarts - Janis Svanenbergs - Roberts Bukarts
Martins Dzierkals - Maris Bicevskis - Martins Karsums
Nikita Jevpalovs

Last edited:
Reactions: Pardus

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I have no idea where Latvian hockey is at but if you're considering Smirnovs as one of your possible 4C at the moment, you might have some serious depth issues...

Latvia HAS some serious depth issues especially when it comes to centers playing in europe. Thats a fact. But I actually realised that Rodrigo Abols is now playing in Sweden. I thought he was on loan. Then you can drop off Smirnovs. But a season or two before he was a serious contender.

Reactions: Pardus and LKI

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Teemu Hartikainen - Sakari Manninen - Markus Granlund
Harri Pesonen(A) - Miro Aaltonen - Julius Nättinen
Teemu Turunen - Anton Lundell - Jere Karjalainen
Hannes Björninen - Juhani Tyrväinen - Marko Anttila(C)
Jere Sallinen, Otto Paajanen

Atte Ohtamaa(A) - Oliwer Kaski
Petteri Lindbohm - Vili Saarijärvi
Robin Salo - Ville Pokka
Tony Sund - Ilari Melart

Jussi Olkinuora
Janne Juvonen
Lassi Lehtinen

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad