WC: Your Country's 2021 Roster? (Assuming No NHL participation)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
With covid still going strong, i dont see much change until May, so there is a big chance NHLers wont come. In that case things will be interesting. it will be like 2018 Olympics. Smaller nations will have bigger chance to success.

Sweden>

Jonatan Berggren - Andreas Wingerli - Jesper Froden

Mattias Tedenby - Anton Lander - Andre Petersson

Oscar Lindberg - Dennis Rasmusen - Magnus Pääjärvi

Emil Pettersson - William Eklund - Daniel Zaar

Max Friberg, Leon Bristedt

Erik Gustafsson - Nils Lundkvist
Viktor Lööv - Lukas Bengtsson
Lawrence Pilut - Klas Dahlbeck
Arvid Lundberg - Joel Persson

Viktor Fasth
Adam Reideborn
Magnus Hellberg

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The change definitely helps make the Czechs at least a more competitive medal contender.
I'm curious what the other Czech posters come up with... I'm assuming goalies will be something like Bartosak, Will and Hrubec.
Forwards might include Kovar, Jaskin, Zohorna, Zohorna, Spacek, Lenc, Gulas, Rucizka, Blumel, Sedlak, Radil, Hyka, Stansky, Lakatos, Rousek, Cervenka, Sobotka
D might include: Sustr, Masin, Kral, Jerabek, Sulak, Musil, Nakladal, Jordan, Svozil, Moravcik, Sklenicka

I feel like I missed out on a tonne of guys... please correct me!

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
How in the hell are you going to predict Team USA? It's going to be a mix of college players, European minor pro and AHL players, and even then you might not get half of who you invite. It's going to be the definitive "Random Guys on a Mission" task force. It just remains to be seen if the mission is to win gold or to smash as much Latvian p***y & beer as possible.

Reactions: themelkman

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How in the hell are you going to predict Team USA? It's going to be a mix of college players, European minor pro and AHL players, and even then you might not get half of who you invite. It's going to be the definitive "Random Guys on a Mission" task force. It just remains to be seen if the mission is to win gold or to smash as much Latvian p***y & beer as possible.

If no NHLers i dont see AHLers and College players either. Taking a trip overseas is a problem due to covid.

Who are these european minor pros you are talking about? There is plenty of americans in SHL/KHL/NLA/Liiga.

Reactions: Thejaizo

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If no NHLers i dont see AHLers and College players either. Taking a trip overseas is a problem due to covid.

Who are these european minor pros you are talking about? There is plenty of americans in SHL/KHL/NLA/Liiga.
Americans played in the same European leagues just fine in the fall, before North American camps started. Not sure why it would be a problem in May. There will be a quarantine, I presume. But I bet there's a couple of players willing to go through it. Euro-trip, woo!

"Minor pro" was just meant as "European leagues". I used the NHL definition of minor pro, which just means every professional hockey league in the whole world but the NHL itself (and the old WHA), ie. best of the best don't play there, but these guys make a living playing hockey. As opposed to "major pro".

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Something like:

Joe Cannata
Jermey Smith

Matt Donovan - Nick Ebert
Bobby Nardella - Chris Wideman
Ryan Gunderson - Brennan Menell

Bryan O'Neill - Andy Miele - Reid Boucher
Shane Prince - Jack Drury - Carter Camper
Brock Little - Mark Acrobello - Ryan Lasch
Aaron Palushaj - Garett Roe - Adam Johnson

All very good players in SHL, KHL and NLA. I could definitly see a team like this challening for the gold.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I'd start here: Elite Prospects - KHL Stats 2020-2021

Then I'd go here: Elite Prospects - KHL Stats 2020-2021

Then I'd go here: Elite Prospects - SHL Stats 2020-2021

There are about 50 guys in the Top 2 Euro leagues. Peter Mueller plays for Brno and I think he's American as well.

I do get your point though... once you eliminate AHL and College the US (and Canada) lose out on a lot of their non NHL talent base. If it helps, there are a lot of AHL guys I'd love to see on the Czech squad like Kase, Jenik, Lauko, Kaut, Dostal, Zohorna number 3 and Vladar.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
The change definitely helps make the Czechs at least a more competitive medal contender.
I'm curious what the other Czech posters come up with... I'm assuming goalies will be something like Bartosak, Will and Hrubec.
Forwards might include Kovar, Jaskin, Zohorna, Zohorna, Spacek, Lenc, Gulas, Rucizka, Blumel, Sedlak, Radil, Hyka, Stansky, Lakatos, Rousek, Cervenka, Sobotka
D might include: Sustr, Masin, Kral, Jerabek, Sulak, Musil, Nakladal, Jordan, Svozil, Moravcik, Sklenicka

I feel like I missed out on a tonne of guys... please correct me!
Good list, as an antispartan:laugh: i would unfortunately add names like Repik and Horak, maybe Kostalek, Tomasek. And Nestrašil, Galvas, Krejcik ..

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Good list, as an antispartan:laugh: i would unfortunately add names like Repik and Horak, maybe Kostalek, Tomasek. And Nestrašil, Galvas, Krejcik ..
It'll be a competitive team. Agree with all your names. No real standout star but pretty even. Goalies are good. D is good enough. Forwards are good as well. A quarter final win would be my wish. Curious what kind of mix they bring... eg. I'd like to see Kral because he might have an NHL future. You mentioned Galvas and same thing. Same reason I want Blumel as he's outperforming his draft position right now.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
With covid still going strong, i dont see much change until May, so there is a big chance NHLers wont come. In that case things will be interesting. it will be like 2018 Olympics. Smaller nations will have bigger chance to success.

Sweden>

Viktor Fasth
Adam Reideborn
Magnus Hellberg
Needs Broberg and Omark... to complete the Oiler's theme! Fasth, Persson, Lander, Paajarvi and Erik Gustafsson was drafted by the Oil but I'm not sure this is the same one as I thought that one was still in the NHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
With regular season ending May 8th and World's starting on 21st... there might be hope to get non NHL players over that are headed home anyways. In the Czech case.. Hronek and Zadina would be availble and that would certainly boost our team greatly! Yes, I realize a lot of teams would get a boost from this window. I don't see how a North American player would want to fly over, quarantine, play, fly home and quarantine again. I do see how a Euro wouldn't really be phased by it as a stop on the way home. Guess we'll see!

Reactions: Goodman68

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Needs Broberg and Omark... to complete the Oiler's theme! Fasth, Persson, Lander, Paajarvi and Erik Gustafsson was drafted by the Oil but I'm not sure this is the same one as I thought that one was still in the NHL.

I dont think Broberg is good enough yet. When looking at youngsters, Albert Johansson is ahead.

Omark ended his national team career.

Not the same Erik Gustafsson: Erik Gustafsson at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Czechboy

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
GB's going to be interesting. Without the threat of relegation and with several core players either not playing at all (Ehrhardt, Whistle, Betteridge) or only in domestic semi-pro cup comps (O'Connor, both Phillips, Davies etc.) I wonder if Russell will use it as a shop window for some of the fringe and younger players - on the Spring Cup broadcasts this weekend there was talk of 18yo Alex Graham possibly getting a shot. At the very least the most valuable players like Hammond, Bowns, Richardson etc. are playing full seasons in good leagues so they'll be ready.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Granlund - Manninen - Hartikainen
Pesonen - Aaltonen - Karjalainen
Savinainen - Ruohomaa - Puustinen
Björkqvist - Tyrväinen - Anttila

Hietanen - Ohtamaa
Lindbohm - Kaski
Koivisto - Saarijärvi
Sund

Olkinuora
Säteri
Juvonen

That would be the best case scenario. I think that many khl:ers will AGAIN decline the invitation though....

Reactions: Eye of Ra

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Hietanen - Ohtamaa
Lindbohm - Kaski
Koivisto - Saarijärvi
Sund

Olkinuora
Säteri
Juvonen

That would be the best case scenario. I think that many khl:ers will AGAIN decline the invitation though....

Don't forget Swiss league players Nättinen, Rajala and Turunen. I think at least the first two have a good chance of making the team this year.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019

Hietanen - Ohtamaa
Lindbohm - Kaski
Koivisto - Saarijärvi
Sund

Olkinuora
Säteri
Juvonen

Very strong team! But i want to put J. Nättingen in this team too.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Something like:

Joe Cannata
Jermey Smith

Matt Donovan - Nick Ebert
Bobby Nardella - Chris Wideman
Ryan Gunderson - Brennan Menell

Bryan O'Neill - Andy Miele - Reid Boucher
Shane Prince - Jack Drury - Carter Camper
Brock Little - Mark Acrobello - Ryan Lasch
Aaron Palushaj - Garett Roe - Adam Johnson

All very good players in SHL, KHL and NLA. I could definitly see a team like this challening for the gold.

Can’t wait to see this US lineup. :sarcasm::laugh:

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
G. Hofmann - E. Corvi - D. Simion
V. Nüssbaumer - S. Andrighetto - F. Herzog
Y. Zehnder - D. Malgin - V. Praplan
C. Bertschy - J. Fuchs - N. Rod
L. Hischier, T. Richard

L. Frick - D. Egli
J.J. Moser - M. Fora
M. Henauer - R. Karrer
F. Heldner

G. Descloux
L. Waeber
J. van Pottelberghe

This would be a rather young team but without relegation and since we aren't winning gold anyway, this is the time to give those players some experience. I know guys like Ambühl, Hollenstein, Diaz or Berra would still be good at this tournament yet I want to see the younger players take over. The experience they would gain could also benefit the team at next year's olympics.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Sweden>

Viktor Fasth
Adam Reideborn
Magnus Hellberg

Ryfors?

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
That lineup might be so bad that it would cause the US to make a quarterfinal exit...like half the rosters in the last ten years.

That could happen... The point was that these players have only one chance to represent Team Usa so their motivation migh be a little bit higher. And this year there wont be nhl:ers so every top 6 nation have a decent chance. And I dont see any other excuse for Team Usa to fail almost every year although they have teams full of nhl-players, other than (the lack of)motivation. If they really care about the tournament, they would have won 5-6 gold medals already.

Last edited:

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
Theoretically NHL regular season ends on 8 May, WC starts on 21 May, there is a chance player from NHL will play.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Yes, he got a chance.

Hietanen - Ohtamaa
Lindbohm - Kaski
Koivisto - Saarijärvi
Sund

Olkinuora
Säteri
Juvonen

Melart should be ahead of Koivisto.

What about Lundell...? Is he ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad