YOUR counter proposal to the NHLPA....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Just curious what everyone would offer in return to the NHLPA....

My thoughts:

A stiffer 'Luxury Tax'

Start it out at 40% at 40 million. 1 Percentage point up for Million over. Period. Also, a much more specific usage of the money. My thoughts: Redistrubted evenly amongst every team meeting a minimum attendence requirement (or something to ensure teams are producing an entertaining product).

Keep the rookie cap reduction. Very good rollback.

Move the overall salary reduction to 20%.

Make the qualifying offer vary from 50% to 150%. Any qualifying offer can be challenged to an arbitration, and if a team can be punished for a 'grievious mis-service' by awarding contracts up to 200% of the original, or in extreme cases, UFA status being granted (for example, a player has a career year and is only offered 75% of the salary they made last year). Any season in which a player misses more than 30% of the games due to injury is guaranteed a 100% qualifying offer.

Move the UFA age down to 29, effective next offseason.

Give the player association the equivilent of 5 team owners votes on any future rule changes/marketing changes/team relocations. The votes should be given allocated by a NHLPA vote, one vote given for each 20% of the NHLPA approves a certain item.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
personally I think the luxery tax has to be floating. I'd probably use the numbers as they are now for the next 3.5 seasons (assuming half a season this year). After that set the lowest taxable number at 53-57% of the average revenue generated over the previous 3 seasons. This way if the league is still suffering the cap # is lowered, but if the league is doing great the number can go up rewarding the players.

The system needs to be harsher. Maybe add 10% to each % as it stands. (30% at 40 million the first 3.5 years, 40% at 50 million. After 3.5 years. 30% at 57% of the league's revenues, etc.)

hopefully this would increase the players desire to promote the game. If by doing some TV commercials and some public appearances you help out the nhl you'll get rewarded by it. If the on ice product sucks and the owners are losing more and more money then the luxery tax number reflects the market.

As compensation I'd reduce that rediculous salary rollback. drop it to 10 or 15%. lower the UFA age, and some other minor compensations.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My counter-proposal would be very simple:

- A $35 million salary cap (linked to revenues, so it will go up as revenues go up).

- A one-player exemption for a 'franchise player' tag, which means every team can lock up one player for whatever amount they want.

- Complete revenue-sharing plan amongst all 30 owners.

- Total free agency at the conclusion of each player's entry-level contract (change entry-level from 3 years to 4).

- No rollbacks.

- Eliminate salary arbitration.

- Keep performance bonuses for entry-level players without restrictions (why penalize players for ACTUALLY PERFORMING???).

- Reduction of schedule from 82 to 76 games.

- Approval of "Shanahan Summit" rule recommendations.

Everything else is negotiable.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:

- A $35 million salary cap (linked to revenues, so it will go up as revenues go up).

- A one-player exemption for a 'franchise player' tag, which means every team can lock up one player for whatever amount they want.

- Total free agency at the conclusion of each player's entry-level contract (change entry-level from 3 years to 4).

- No rollbacks.

- Keep performance bonuses for entry-level players without restrictions (why penalize players for ACTUALLY PERFORMING???).

Hard cap at $60 million dollars. No one is allowed to go over this figure - period.

Luxury tax: .20 cents on the dollar for every dollar spent over 35 million; . 30 cents on the dollar for every dollar spent over 45 million.

Restrict bonuses to maximum of $1 million dollars per player.
Restrict entry level bonuses to $250,000 per player.

Keep the 24% rollback.

Keep the newly proposed arbitration.

Total free agency after entry level contract.

Maximum of 3 years allowed on all contracts.

Complete revenue sharing between the players and league teams.

Slow Talking Walter

Aug 21, 2003
in the weeds
Visit site
1.luxury tax: 0.25 over 35mill
0.50 over 40mill
0.75 over 45mill
1.00 over 50mill
hard cap at 60mill

2. Arbitration: needs more teeth for teams. Should be allowed to take a player to arbitration just as often as they can file themselves. 2 way street boys. None of this one time per player for only 1-2 years (where the choice is the players) and not more than twice in a 3 year span.

then propose a other things like 33% roll back, which you can give in on so you get the above 2.

Kid Canada

Dec 9, 2004
Jag68Vlady27 said:

- No rollbacks.

The problem with a proposal like this one is that the NHLPA will say 'no' and there will be no season. Bettman has to take a different approach to this meeting on Tuesday.

SENSible1*

Kid Canada said:
The problem with a proposal like this one is that the NHLPA will say 'no' and there will be no season. Bettman has to take a different approach to this meeting on Tuesday.

Why?

Bettman's job is not to save the season. It is to get the deal his employers want for the long-term health of the league.

Bettman's counter-proposal should bear little resemblance to the PA deal, but contain enough of the aspects they liked to show they are bargaining in good faith.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I'm not for a semi-strong luxury tax. Am I alone to think that the NHL should try to find another system to prevent the salary to sky-rocket once again? First of all, a 75 cent luxury tax won't really prevent a team with a 80-million budget (for its payroll) to go above the soft-cap level. It won't do anything, becase those teams will always want to put the best product on the ice to fullfill their market's needs (a huge and strong fan base requires maintenance imo, and they have to do so by putting a strong product on the ice). So here we are, with a luxury tax and teams that will still invest money to fetch a good on-ice product. That's pretty logical imo. That money goes to poorer teams. Well, that's the huge problem with a luxury tax. Not only the rich teams can still spend some money, but that money goes back to poorer teams, who will be able to spend that money on their players. What does that mean? A team like Calgary has a budget of 30 millions as of now. With a luxury tax, they'll be able to have a 35 millions budget for their payroll. Big deal? Yeah... You have increased payrolls all-arround the league. That's what bothers me. The high-budget team won't stop to spend money, thus keeping the market pretty lucrative for the players. Then, you have the poorer teams getting more money to pay their players. What will the players ask for if those teams have better budgets? More money of course. A luxury tax, if it isn't extremely aggressive won't help at all.

The NHL should seek for other tools to keep the salary down. I have nothing against a team with an expensive payroll. If they can affroid it, why not? But they shouldn't make the market go sky high. What's a player's worth on the market is far more important. I think that the NHL should try to make a concil or create a system (with legal twists in order to not be collusion) that will help the teams to keep the salary down. I dunno exactly how they can do it, but they should approve the contract before they're signed. That way, you can keep the salary low. It's all about keeping them at a decent level. Let's say that a team builds an all-star team via draft, trades and free agency (moderately), why couldn't they keep all their stars and have a 70 millions payroll if their players are paid accordingly to the market (all their players paid between 5 mil to 2 mil, remember it's an all-star line-up). They'll sure spend a lot of money, but the market won't be out of whack. Therefore, each team will paid their stars to a similar salary and will be able to KEEP them.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
ax²+bx+c said:
I'm not for a semi-strong luxury tax. Am I alone to think that the NHL should try to find another system to prevent the salary to sky-rocket once again? First of all, a 75 cent luxury tax won't really prevent a team with a 80-million budget (for its payroll) to go above the soft-cap level.

Dont think so? Lets say the that 75 cent tax starts at 40 million dollars. Teams would be over by 40 million. Multiply 40 million at .75 Teams would have to pay 30 million dollars on top of that 80 million dollar payroll. The wings lost 16 million dollars on a 77 million dollar payroll, do you really think Illitch would be willing to lose over 46 million dollars a year? I dont.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
JWI19 said:
Dont think so? Lets say the that 75 cent tax starts at 40 million dollars. Teams would be over by 40 million. Multiply 40 million at .75 Teams would have to pay 30 million dollars on top of that 80 million dollar payroll. The wings lost 16 million dollars on a 77 million dollar payroll, do you really think Illitch would be willing to lose over 46 million dollars a year? I dont.

you're talking about something different. If you spend too much and then loose money, that's bad management. I'm talking about a team that can spend up to 80-millions (it's a fictive case). Everything is possible in buisness, you need luck, vision and money to start with.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
ax²+bx+c said:
you're talking about something different. If you spend too much and then loose money, that's bad management. I'm talking about a team that can spend up to 80-millions (it's a fictive case). Everything is possible in buisness, you need luck, vision and money to start with.

But your not spending 80 million, your spending 110 million with a .75cent tax. How many teams can afford that? Not one that i know of.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
There are other ways. Tie draft picks to payroll.
go over $34m lose a 4th
go over $38m lose a 3th + 4th
go over $42m lose a 2th + 3rd + 4th
go over $46m lose a 1th + 2th + 3rd + 4th

Add this to a luxury tax as a double whammy and it gets interesting.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Luxury tax probably won't do it

ax²+bx+c said:

Bettman has said he's not interested in a luxury tax. Why? Because he's has at least 8 owners who want a hard cap. Of the 30 owners, 9 are also NBA owners, who have go to thru a potential hard cap CBA battle in 2 years time. Add the small market teams and you can see why Bettman has almost full owner support to cancel a season or two.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ax²+bx+c said:

$80m become $62m with a 75% luxury tax. That's a lot better than $80m.

SENSible1*

PitkanenPower said:
What makes you think the two aren't linked?

The right deal will make sense for the league with or without this season.

Signing the wrong deal just to save this season is suicide.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Hard cap that limits all teams to $60 million.

Luxury tax: 25 % of every dollar spent between $35-40 million. 35% of every dollar spend between $40-45 million. 40% of every dollar over $45 million.

$3 million dollar cap on signing bonuses

Reject the 24% pay cut and lower it to 15%. Its a compromise.

Total free agency after entry level contract.

Maximum of 5 years allowed on all contracts.

Some revenue sharing, but it should not be equal for each team. Though I'm a pittsburgh fan, I dont think New York sould have to teams, like the pens, money from their pocket. The owners should be able to make money off the market they are in. The luxury tax system will bring money in also to the teams that dont have the same market share.

While I still like a hard cap system (success of the NFL), I think this could work.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Step 1: Take the PA's proposal.
Step 2: 10% Escrow on salaries. If the players salaries exceed a % of revenue, then money is paid from this acount to the owners. Anything left over is given back to the players
Step 3: Since the players like salary rollbacks, simply trigger an automatic reindexation of player salaries to a set % of the previous seasons revenue. So, the FA process proceeds as normal, until Sept. 15 of every year. On Sept 15, the previous years average salary is compared to the previous years reevenue. It is then "re-indexed" to the agreed upon % of revenue. Whatever factor is required to get last years salaries to the agreed upon % is then applied on Sept 15.

So, throwing in some numbers:

Players + Owners agree that 60% of revenue should go to the players.

Year 1: Owners bring in 2 Billion in revenue, Player salaries are 1.3 Billion (65%),

So, Escrow acount of 10% of player salaries contains $130 Million. $100 million goes to the owners, $30 mil to the players.

RFA's and UFA's sign as normal that summer, up until sept 15th.

On Sept 15th, player salaries are all reduced by 7.7% to correct the previous years salaries to 60% of revenue.

Any outstanding QO will also be reduced by this amount to ensure a uniform rollback. A QO will now always be on the table for the player to accept.

This provides cost certainty, and provides the players with essentially the smae market place as now, usning their prefered method of fixing problems (the salary rollback).

SENSible1*

Egil said:
Step 1: Take the PA's proposal.
Step 2: 10% Escrow on salaries. If the players salaries exceed a % of revenue, then money is paid from this acount to the owners. Anything left over is given back to the players
Step 3: Since the players like salary rollbacks, simply trigger an automatic reindexation of player salaries to a set % of the previous seasons revenue. So, the FA process proceeds as normal, until Sept. 15 of every year. On Sept 15, the previous years average salary is compared to the previous years reevenue. It is then "re-indexed" to the agreed upon % of revenue. Whatever factor is required to get last years salaries to the agreed upon % is then applied on Sept 15.

So, throwing in some numbers:

Players + Owners agree that 60% of revenue should go to the players.

Year 1: Owners bring in 2 Billion in revenue, Player salaries are 1.3 Billion (65%),

So, Escrow acount of 10% of player salaries contains $130 Million. $100 million goes to the owners, $30 mil to the players.

RFA's and UFA's sign as normal that summer, up until sept 15th.

On Sept 15th, player salaries are all reduced by 7.7% to correct the previous years salaries to 60% of revenue.

Any outstanding QO will also be reduced by this amount to ensure a uniform rollback. A QO will now always be on the table for the player to accept.

This provides cost certainty, and provides the players with essentially the smae market place as now, usning their prefered method of fixing problems (the salary rollback).

The PA offer is not concerned with maintaining the current market, but with maintaining the system that ensures long-term salary escalation.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I know Thunder, I don't think the PA would go for this proposal either. But it looks good (heck, you can even undo the QO and arbitration stuff) for the media. As was the PA's proposal. This would be to steal their thunder, as it were.

A Good Flying Bird*

Jag68Vlady27 said:

- No rollbacks.

How do you do the first without the second. You'd need major grandfathering clauses.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
ax²+bx+c said:
good point, but they still spend $62m....

actually they still spend $80 just some of it is spent on other teams payrolls ;) Money in the system remains the same.

A Good Flying Bird*

mdoak said:
Just curious what everyone would offer in return to the NHLPA....

My thoughts:

A stiffer 'Luxury Tax'

Start it out at 40% at 40 million. 1 Percentage point up for Million over. Period. Also, a much more specific usage of the money. My thoughts: Redistrubted evenly amongst every team meeting a minimum attendence requirement (or something to ensure teams are producing an entertaining product).

Keep the rookie cap reduction. Very good rollback.

Move the overall salary reduction to 20%.

Make the qualifying offer vary from 50% to 150%. Any qualifying offer can be challenged to an arbitration, and if a team can be punished for a 'grievious mis-service' by awarding contracts up to 200% of the original, or in extreme cases, UFA status being granted (for example, a player has a career year and is only offered 75% of the salary they made last year). Any season in which a player misses more than 30% of the games due to injury is guaranteed a 100% qualifying offer.

Move the UFA age down to 29, effective next offseason.

Give the player association the equivilent of 5 team owners votes on any future rule changes/marketing changes/team relocations. The votes should be given allocated by a NHLPA vote, one vote given for each 20% of the NHLPA approves a certain item.

If I was Bettman {changes into reptilian skin}, I'd counteroffer with the following:

$40 Million Hard Cap

--------------------------
That's all.

We're still not seeing the two sides talk the same language. IMO, if Bettman doesn't move over to a Luxury Tax Proposal, we won't see hockey this year.

Now, if I was me and me was commissioner (excuse grammar),
I'd offer the following:

Luxury Tax:
35-40M- 40 cents
40-45M-75 cents
Over 45- Dollar for Dollar for Dollar
(Phased in over three years, this representing the third year)

75 percent Qualifying offers for RFAs

Owners ability to take player to Arbitration.

I wouldn't change entry rules (why? Because the NHL is going to lose the opportunity to get guys like Ovechkin if they clamp down to hard on rookie salaries. You've already got a luxury tax to control spending. No need to have a system that dictates where you can or can't spend it, as well.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
My counter offer....

38.5-45 million .75 cent tax
45-60 million 100% tax
Payrolls capped at 60 million dollars
Player salary capped at 7 million dollars

50% buyout option on existing contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->